Roads Unravelling

Roads Unravelling

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In this unflinching, yet luminous collection of eight short stories, Kathy-Diane Leveille explores how the past won't let go, how it shapes our future as well as our present. In portraits full of heart and depth, Leveille excavates the narrow stereotypes we have of rural life, offering instead the complexity and grit of rural culture. Set in the Maritimes and rooted in wor...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Sumach Press (first published September 1st 2003)

Shane
Tightly edited stories that emphasize the way of life in the Maritimes. Sometimes I wished the editing could have been loosened to allow the stories to unfold more sequentially and entertain the reader, instead of having him work at understanding them.
The protagonist in most of the stories is of a type: a single woman, haunted by parental sins ( even repeating them herself), conflicted and bewildered, and with thwarted ambitions - makes me wonder if this is the emerging archetype of the modern f...more
Kathy-Diane
Sep 17, 2008 Kathy-Diane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
This 5-star review of "Roads Unravelling" is from Shawn Jennings author of "Locked in/Locked Out":

I highly recommend this book of short stories. The stories center around the lives of people that live near a river in Canada. I've seen these people and the reader may find themselves in one of her characters.

I enjoyed reading this book on so many levels: she certainly knows how to write short stories, strong character developement, themes, and an enjoyable writing style.

Leveille has her own voi...more
Shawn
Sep 10, 2008 Shawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone

Leveille has her own voice, but she reminded me of Carol Sheilds.

Excellent, excellent read!
Peter
Sep 10, 2008 Peter added it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good mystery
Recommended to Peter by: Beth Fehlbaum
A wonderful read. Leveille is an author on the rise who knows how to create characters you care about and a plot that keeps you hooked. Don't start reading this book at night because you won't get to sleep.
Berserk Viking
Berserk Viking marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Darcy Stewart
Darcy Stewart marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2010
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2009
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2009
Rai
Rai marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2009
Maree Cox-Baker
Maree Cox-Baker marked it as to-read
May 26, 2009
C A Rollins
C A Rollins marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2009
Nahid Rachlin
Nahid Rachlin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2009
Jaz
Jaz marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2008
Britt
Britt marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2008
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2008
Danny Sillada
Danny Sillada marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2008
Teddy
Teddy added it
Sep 13, 2008
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Victoria Trevino
Victoria Trevino marked it as to-read
1907328
Her new novel "Standing in the Whale's Jaw" is published by Tightrope Books

Author, Kathy-Diane Leveille, is a former broadcast journalist with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Her settings and especially her characters are keenly observed and full of sensual presence. - The Globe and Mail

Leveille writes of heartbreak and redemption and all the dizzy, dancing moments in-between. -Carole Brune...more
More about Kathy-Diane Leveille...
Let the Shadows Fall Behind You Standing in the Whale's Jaw: A Novel Let the Shadows Fall Behind You: A Novel