Start by marking “Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)

Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Ellie Avery is stunned when another military wife, Penny Follette, is found dead, an apparent suicide. Just the day before, Penny had confided to Ellie that she was pregnant, but Ellie is sure Penny would never kill herself. Things get more complicated when a feisty young female pilot is poisoned and hospitalized. When Ellie investigates, she finds plenty of suspects with ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Kensington (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Staying Home is a Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying Home is a Killer

Margaret
I am surprised that this book got an average of 4 stars in rating. I found it repetitive and yet not very consecutive, hard to follow. The kind of book that I keep looking at the top to see if I am halfway through yet. When I am halfway through somehow the rest of the book seems to go faster. This one did not.

On repetitiveness, "The interaction with the rug seemed too furtive and rushed. It was secretive and quick." Kind of the same thing, don't you think?
On hard to follow, she looks for her fri
Karen Fyke
Somehow it's hard to believe that a mother with a two-year-old would involve herself in dangerous undertakings trying to find a killer. Setting is an Air Force base out west. Smuggling artifacts is the cause for the crime.
Mascanlon
This character just resonates with authenticity. She is a military wife who loves her family and friends and runs a small business as best she can with 3 kids and a very busy life.
From Publishers Weekly
When not organizing closets or toting her toddler on her hip, military wife Ellie Avery sleuths around Greenly Air Force Base in eastern Washington State, which has lately become unsafe for military wives in Rosett's satisfying, well-executed second Mom Zone cozy (after 2006's Moving Is Murder). J
Mark Baker
Air Force wife Ellie is tracking down another killer in her husband's squadron. Her friend has just committed suicide, but Ellie knows that she was too happy to do it. So what really happened? I had a hard time keeping all the characters straight, which got very frustrating. The story was interesting, however.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This is a very enjoyable series. It is about a military wife and mother, Ellie Avery. Ellie is a stay at home Mother but does sideline work as an organizer of spaces. What I like about this series is that Ellie is a character you would enjoy having as a neighbor/friend. She is taking motherhood in her stride and also deals with the difficulties involved with being a military wife. Especially an Air Craft pilot's wife.

This series shows that crime and the underbelly of life exists in all situatio
Judith Jackson
Entertaining

E entertaining and easy reading. Kept my interest. Recommended for anyone who likes a little suspense and a little humor. Organization tips helpful.

Maam
This is the 2nd in a series that I've read books 1-3 of. It was my least favorite. Too much like the first one and the victims being from the same small cast of characters for the 2nd book in a row was just too unrealistic for me to enjoy - even if its fiction and not supposed to be real. lol

I do like her characters and she does keep the plot twisting so its not obvious early on who the murderer is which does manage to keep ones interest.

One thing I definitely don't like is Ellie Avery's stubbor
Pamela
I read a book today, November 18, 2012- It is called Staying Home Is a Killer by Sara Rosett. It is called a 'Mom Zone Mystery' I think that is a warning. There is a lot of baby, diaper bags and cherrios along with the mystery. To top it off you have the military with the BX and TDYs I like the scenes about the dad being a pilot and being on call. My dad was a helicopter pilot in the Army. The mystery is okay. The cover of the book has a quote from Publishers Weekly---"A satisfying, well-execute ...more
Richard Brand
If you want a nice, complicated, family oriented murder mystery, this is a nice one. It has some suspense. It has two or three people killed. It has a lot of domestic complications. It is an easy read. I think it is like the Cat mysteries, like the Tres Navarone mysteries, and lots of others. It does the job of giving one something to read for a couple of days. If some one were to ask me about the book, I would give them an affirm this as a decent read.
Angela McRae
A terrific cozy with a unique heroine (she's a mom, military wife, and professional organizer), great characters, intriguing plots and sub-plots. I had read several "dud" cozies in a row, so it was quite lovely to find a new one I so thoroughly enjoyed. Since I started with #2 in this series, I'll be looking for #1 and then the other titles from Sara Rosett. Exactly the type of book I was looking for--and I absolutely *loved* the way it ended!
Carol
This is an OK series- Mom Zone Mystery. some of the scene trasitions are rough.The story is about a young mother whose husband is an air force pilot and the stories are set in and around the base and other pilots and their families. Ellie is the hero that just seems to attract dead people and then is able to solve their deaths much to the chagrin of the police and the Air Force police guy- Mr Thistlewaite.
Angela
The second in this series that is clean and has some suspense, but I don't love it. It's too unrealistic for me. Seriously, how can one person that isn't living in a gang war zone have this many friends/acquaintances murdered? I do appreciate the cleanliness of the books and Ellie's commitment to being a mother though. It is a quick, get-your-mind-off-of-other things, enjoyable read.
Vicky
Yeah another long-winded book where the timeline was better than the first one but the way Ellie behaves raises questions as to her responsibility as a mother and wife. Thinking she is an "organizer" and doing one "job" that ammounted to putting things in boxes in to containers? Ellie is basically an idiot. Unfortunately I have 4 more books to read i nthe series.
Pam
Jan 20, 2013 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
This mystery revolves around the military and especially a flying squdaron. If you are unfamiliar with the military and military terms you may find it annoying. Over all the writer did a very good job of portraying the way things happen in a flying squdaron. It a lot of the situtations I could so say been there done that.
Lynda
Book 2 in the Mom Zone mysteries is better than the first one and easier to follow. Ellie Avery investigates the death of another military wife because she is sure Penny did not commit suicide as the polic feel is the case.Twists and turns and ancient manuscripts add to the mystery.
Anam
I liked this one, too, enough that I have checked more of this series out of the library. But I confess there were many times I wanted to scream to Ellie, are you stupid or something? Call the police! What will it take for you to learn????
Larisha
Main character Ellie Avery in this book is balancing her own business - everything in its place, marriage and motherhood. She loves oganization and we the reader go with Ellie on a suspenseful ride that includes an untimely death.

Nadine
I liked Rosett's style of writing. Ellie could see the humor in the everyday things of life and also loved being a stay at home mom, while being able to figure out whodunnit! cought my interest from the first page or two
Corky
As a new stay at home mom, organizational guru, and Air Force wife, Ellie Avery has plenty to do. Still, she finds herself in the midst of figuring out who killed her friend Penny.
Stephanie
Just like the first in the series. Cozy mystery read. Enjoyable, good way to past the time but not life changing. Organizing tips were of the obvious sort this time around.
Tammie
a Mom Mystery book. Quick read. I did find it a bit humorous at times that she was either toting her toddler or finding a babysitter so she could get clues!
Lori
I read this little mystery because our heroine is an Air Force wife. My son serves in the Air Force so it captured my attention.
Grey853
When is a friend is murdered, Ellie sets out to find the killer.

The story was far too unrealistic to be very entertaining.
Shawnee
Good book - I like this series. I really like Rex, but keep picturing him as a GS. Who names their Rottie Rex? :)
Kimberly
I just LOVE this series. Well developed characters very detailed plots and CLEAN. Can't wait to read the next one.
Donna

I loved this book. I just hate that I read book 2 before I read book 1. But I am reading it now!
Kimmie
Cute mystery....just enough humor and suspense to keep me going.
Karen
Enjoyable book will read the next in the series
Lynn Demsky
Very good, enjoyable and entertaining mystery!
  • Stranded (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #4)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • Deadly Greetings (A Card Making Mystery, #2)
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • January Kills Me (Samantha Rialto #1)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Beside Still Waters (Psalm 23 Mysteries, #4)
  • Justified Means ( The Agency Files, #1)
  • Plotting at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #3)
  • Hey Diddle Diddle, the Corpse and the Fiddle (A Callie Parrish Mystery #2)
  • Wicked Break (Noah Braddock, #2)
  • Baja Florida
  • Murder Over Easy (Trailer Park Mystery , #2)
  • Slugfest (Dirty Business Mystery #4)
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3)
A native Texan, Sara writes mysteries (the Ellie Avery series) and suspense (the On The Run series). As a military spouse, Sara has moved around the country (frequently!) and traveled internationally, which inspired her latest suspense novels. Publishers Weekly called Sara’s books, "satisfying," "well-executed," and "sparkling."

The first Ellie Avery mystery, MOVING IS MURDER, was a Reader's Choic
More about Sara Rosett...

A Mom Zone Mystery (8 books)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #5)
  • Mimosas, Mischief, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #6)
  • Mistletoe, Merriment, and Murder
  • Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder (Ellie Avery #8)
Elusive (On The Run, #1) Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1) Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3) Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4) Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #5)