Start by marking “Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery, #2)

Staying Home is a Killer (A Mom Zone Mystery #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  364 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Air Force wife Ellie Avery is so good at organizing she's turned professional. Her tips on cleaning can send the worst case of clutter packing, dust balls fleeing, and nooks and crannies preening. But when a fellow military wife turns up dead, Ellie tackles a different type of case - murder.
Published April 1st 2007 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Staying Home is a Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying Home is a Killer

Margaret
Apr 10, 2015 Margaret rated it it was ok
I am surprised that this book got an average of 4 stars in rating. I found it repetitive and yet not very consecutive, hard to follow. The kind of book that I keep looking at the top to see if I am halfway through yet. When I am halfway through somehow the rest of the book seems to go faster. This one did not.

On repetitiveness, "The interaction with the rug seemed too furtive and rushed. It was secretive and quick." Kind of the same thing, don't you think?
On hard to follow, she looks for her fri
Karen Fyke
Apr 10, 2008 Karen Fyke rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Somehow it's hard to believe that a mother with a two-year-old would involve herself in dangerous undertakings trying to find a killer. Setting is an Air Force base out west. Smuggling artifacts is the cause for the crime.
Mascanlon
Dec 27, 2011 Mascanlon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This character just resonates with authenticity. She is a military wife who loves her family and friends and runs a small business as best she can with 3 kids and a very busy life.
From Publishers Weekly
When not organizing closets or toting her toddler on her hip, military wife Ellie Avery sleuths around Greenly Air Force Base in eastern Washington State, which has lately become unsafe for military wives in Rosett's satisfying, well-executed second Mom Zone cozy (after 2006's Moving Is Murder). J
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2007
Air Force wife Ellie is tracking down another killer in her husband's squadron. Her friend has just committed suicide, but Ellie knows that she was too happy to do it. So what really happened? I had a hard time keeping all the characters straight, which got very frustrating. The story was interesting, however.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Jul 02, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This is a very enjoyable series. It is about a military wife and mother, Ellie Avery. Ellie is a stay at home Mother but does sideline work as an organizer of spaces. What I like about this series is that Ellie is a character you would enjoy having as a neighbor/friend. She is taking motherhood in her stride and also deals with the difficulties involved with being a military wife. Especially an Air Craft pilot's wife.

This series shows that crime and the underbelly of life exists in all situatio
Judith Jackson
Jun 13, 2014 Judith Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

E entertaining and easy reading. Kept my interest. Recommended for anyone who likes a little suspense and a little humor. Organization tips helpful.

Maam
Nov 30, 2010 Maam rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This is the 2nd in a series that I've read books 1-3 of. It was my least favorite. Too much like the first one and the victims being from the same small cast of characters for the 2nd book in a row was just too unrealistic for me to enjoy - even if its fiction and not supposed to be real. lol

I do like her characters and she does keep the plot twisting so its not obvious early on who the murderer is which does manage to keep ones interest.

One thing I definitely don't like is Ellie Avery's stubbor
Pamela
Nov 23, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it
I read a book today, November 18, 2012- It is called Staying Home Is a Killer by Sara Rosett. It is called a 'Mom Zone Mystery' I think that is a warning. There is a lot of baby, diaper bags and cherrios along with the mystery. To top it off you have the military with the BX and TDYs I like the scenes about the dad being a pilot and being on call. My dad was a helicopter pilot in the Army. The mystery is okay. The cover of the book has a quote from Publishers Weekly---"A satisfying, well-execute ...more
Bonnie
Jul 06, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Intriguing characters and a nice mystery.
Richard Brand
Dec 20, 2012 Richard Brand rated it really liked it
If you want a nice, complicated, family oriented murder mystery, this is a nice one. It has some suspense. It has two or three people killed. It has a lot of domestic complications. It is an easy read. I think it is like the Cat mysteries, like the Tres Navarone mysteries, and lots of others. It does the job of giving one something to read for a couple of days. If some one were to ask me about the book, I would give them an affirm this as a decent read.
Angela Webster
Jan 04, 2015 Angela Webster rated it really liked it
A terrific cozy with a unique heroine (she's a mom, military wife, and professional organizer), great characters, intriguing plots and sub-plots. I had read several "dud" cozies in a row, so it was quite lovely to find a new one I so thoroughly enjoyed. Since I started with #2 in this series, I'll be looking for #1 and then the other titles from Sara Rosett. Exactly the type of book I was looking for--and I absolutely *loved* the way it ended!
Carol
Nov 13, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
This is an OK series- Mom Zone Mystery. some of the scene trasitions are rough.The story is about a young mother whose husband is an air force pilot and the stories are set in and around the base and other pilots and their families. Ellie is the hero that just seems to attract dead people and then is able to solve their deaths much to the chagrin of the police and the Air Force police guy- Mr Thistlewaite.
Angela
Nov 15, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
The second in this series that is clean and has some suspense, but I don't love it. It's too unrealistic for me. Seriously, how can one person that isn't living in a gang war zone have this many friends/acquaintances murdered? I do appreciate the cleanliness of the books and Ellie's commitment to being a mother though. It is a quick, get-your-mind-off-of-other things, enjoyable read.
Vicky
Oct 23, 2012 Vicky rated it it was ok
Yeah another long-winded book where the timeline was better than the first one but the way Ellie behaves raises questions as to her responsibility as a mother and wife. Thinking she is an "organizer" and doing one "job" that ammounted to putting things in boxes in to containers? Ellie is basically an idiot. Unfortunately I have 4 more books to read i nthe series.
Pam
Jan 20, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This mystery revolves around the military and especially a flying squdaron. If you are unfamiliar with the military and military terms you may find it annoying. Over all the writer did a very good job of portraying the way things happen in a flying squdaron. It a lot of the situtations I could so say been there done that.
Lynda
May 30, 2011 Lynda rated it liked it
Book 2 in the Mom Zone mysteries is better than the first one and easier to follow. Ellie Avery investigates the death of another military wife because she is sure Penny did not commit suicide as the polic feel is the case.Twists and turns and ancient manuscripts add to the mystery.
Anam
May 07, 2013 Anam rated it really liked it
I liked this one, too, enough that I have checked more of this series out of the library. But I confess there were many times I wanted to scream to Ellie, are you stupid or something? Call the police! What will it take for you to learn????
Larisha
Feb 26, 2009 Larisha rated it liked it
Main character Ellie Avery in this book is balancing her own business - everything in its place, marriage and motherhood. She loves oganization and we the reader go with Ellie on a suspenseful ride that includes an untimely death.

Nadine
Oct 02, 2011 Nadine rated it it was amazing
I liked Rosett's style of writing. Ellie could see the humor in the everyday things of life and also loved being a stay at home mom, while being able to figure out whodunnit! cought my interest from the first page or two
Corky
Aug 03, 2010 Corky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
As a new stay at home mom, organizational guru, and Air Force wife, Ellie Avery has plenty to do. Still, she finds herself in the midst of figuring out who killed her friend Penny.
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Just like the first in the series. Cozy mystery read. Enjoyable, good way to past the time but not life changing. Organizing tips were of the obvious sort this time around.
Tammie
Jul 25, 2012 Tammie rated it liked it
a Mom Mystery book. Quick read. I did find it a bit humorous at times that she was either toting her toddler or finding a babysitter so she could get clues!
Lori
Aug 15, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
I read this little mystery because our heroine is an Air Force wife. My son serves in the Air Force so it captured my attention.
Grey853
Apr 19, 2011 Grey853 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
When is a friend is murdered, Ellie sets out to find the killer.

The story was far too unrealistic to be very entertaining.
Shawnee
Jan 22, 2012 Shawnee rated it really liked it
Good book - I like this series. I really like Rex, but keep picturing him as a GS. Who names their Rottie Rex? :)
Kimberly
May 30, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I just LOVE this series. Well developed characters very detailed plots and CLEAN. Can't wait to read the next one.
Donna
Mar 12, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it

I loved this book. I just hate that I read book 2 before I read book 1. But I am reading it now!
Kimmie
May 09, 2012 Kimmie rated it really liked it
Cute mystery....just enough humor and suspense to keep me going.
Julie Christianson
Oct 10, 2014 Julie Christianson rated it really liked it
good
Karen
May 31, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Enjoyable book will read the next in the series
Goodreads Librari...: please consolidate 2 book covers 2 13 Mar 25, 2016 10:33AM
  • Stranded (Ivy Malone Mysteries, #4)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • Working Stiff (Mattie Winston Mysteries, #1)
  • Organized for Homicide (Organized, #2)
  • January Kills Me (Samantha Rialto #1)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Murder and Salutations (A Card Making Mystery, #3)
  • Invitation to Valhalla
  • Plotting at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #3)
  • Beside Still Waters (Psalm 23 Mysteries, #4)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • Baja Florida
  • Killer Knots (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #9)
  • The Way of the Guilty (Hope Street Church Mystery, #3)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Buyer's Remorse (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Still the One (Five Star Romance Hardcover Edition)
A native Texan, Sara writes mysteries (the Ellie Avery series) and suspense (the On The Run series). As a military spouse, Sara has moved around the country (frequently!) and traveled internationally, which inspired her latest suspense novels. Publishers Weekly called Sara’s books, "satisfying," "well-executed," and "sparkling."

The first Ellie Avery mystery, MOVING IS MURDER, was a Reader's Choic
More about Sara Rosett...

A Mom Zone Mystery (9 books)
  • Moving is Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #1)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #4)
  • Mint Juleps, Mayhem, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery, #5)
  • Mimosas, Mischief, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #6)
  • Mistletoe, Merriment, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #7)
  • Milkshakes, Mermaids, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #8)
  • Marriage, Monsters-in-Law, and Murder (A Mom Zone Mystery #9)