Start by marking “How Rude!: The Teenagers' Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Here's an etiquette book that teens will want to read—because it keeps them laughing, doesn't preach, and deals with issues that matter to them, as teens themselves reported in a nationwide survey.

In How Rude!, author Alex J. Packer blends outrageous humor with sound advice as he guides readers through the mysterious world of manners from A ("Applause") to Z ("Zits").

He
Published October 15th 1997 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How Rude!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Rude!

Diary of a Freedom Writer by Darrius GarrettI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankChew on This by Eric SchlosserHole in My Life by Jack Gantos
YA Nonfiction Books
59th out of 155 books — 59 voters
The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanRead This Next by Howard MittelmarkA Family of Readers by Roger SuttonBook Lust by Nancy PearlA Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
For Young Adults Who Like Nonfiction
35th out of 74 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Dorcas
This is a quick easy read; a "how to" on manners. It's kind of sad that we even need something like this, but we definitely do. I found it engaging and at times laugh out loud funny. The little sketches are great!

The book covers almost every aspect of life; everything from texting, writing thank you notes,answering the telephone, how to respond to a compliment, job interviews etc.

While it's a teen guide, I would be cautious about buying it for a young teen as not everything may be age appropria
Sarah Ritter
Packer, Alex J. How rude!: The teen guide to good manners, proper behavior, and not grossing people out. (2ed.) Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Publishing.

Citation by: Sarah Ritter
Reference Type: Handbook
DDCN: 395.1

Content/Scope: The purpose of this book is to provide teens with a guide to how to behave and talk in public, in school, at home, and online.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: The author has written similar titles. The rude behavior is based on his opinion and the unwritten rules of society like
James Hallowell
“Having good manners involves a lot more than knowing not to drink from the toilet bowl.” This insightful pearl-of-wisdom appears on page 1 of “How Rude,” Dr. Alex Packer’s revised and updated guide to good manners for teenagers, and it’s typical of the style and wit that runs throughout the remaining 500 or so pages. Packer knows that if he has any hope of getting a teen to actually read his book, he needs to be funny and disarming and not be above the occasional dip into bathroom humor. But he ...more
Cheryll
Jul 27, 2007 Cheryll rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, children, assorted aliens
Shelves: favorites
Love this book! Very straight forward, written for teens in their language, but good for anyone else willing to learn how to live in the world of humans. I was raised this way, my kids were, too. Other peoples kids, (not to mention celebrities and politicians) however.......
Overall, this was a humorous and engaging etiquette guide that would be handy for young teens. There are times where the humor borders on hokey, which might turn off older/more mature readers, and it can seem a little patronizing at times. Given the subject matter, though, I think it would be difficult to avoid that. I particularly appreciate how thorough this guide is--it covers a very comprehensive range of subjects, and the updated version even takes into account newer etiquette topics and tr ...more
Ganesa
Loved it! This is a great book for teens to learn about the purpose and importance of etiquette. It's clever, modern and based on my students' responses, the content is relevant and can be easily applied to everyday life. I highly recommend this book for teachers, Girl Scout Troop Leaders and afterschool clubs youth leaders who are interested in infusing etiquette and manners instruction into their programs. There are many great activities that can be done based on the checklists and discussion ...more
Erica

Year of Pub: 1997
Publisher: Attainment Company, Incorporated, Verona, WI

Click highlighted text for a new search on that item.

Reviews listed below may refer to a specific version of this work.

Booklist
( February 01, 1998 ; 1-57542-024-4 )

Gr. 6^-12. Although manners aren't high on any teen's list of things to read about, this volume not only uses humor to make the subject palatable but also makes good sense in terms of most young people's everyday lives. Whether the topic is rude noises, table ma
Karen
Teens and parents will laugh over this book. May be a little much for the Tweens. Sometimes the book is too silly, but then again it is a manners book. Very comprehensive and often laughable. I can only hope some people who really need this book will see themselves and temper the outbursts. Worth your time, and it has pictures!
Amanda Peake
Great book about manners and learning to have them. I have a preteen son that I shared this book with and he enjoyed reading it. His manners have improved so I appreciate this book.
paula
Way too long, could use interior color and a zippier design (and a better cover). The advice is good, though, and well-explained. It just needs a ruthless, ruthless edit.
Sam L
How Rude!
1/15/13
438 pages

You need to be polite. In the book, "How Rude" it teaches you how to be polite. It also has real people asking if this or that is polite. It teaches you about school rules, letters, conversations, and many more things! For example, don't talk while the teacher is talking, use a body in a letter, and always introduce friends to other friends. Manners are very important.

I thought this book was fun to read. It isn't the kind of book I usually read and it was a good experien
Aileen Kimm
*This book was given to me as a Goodreads First Reads book

I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read through the tid-bits of advice that was added in there. I have found the advice to be useful already! This how-to manual on etiquette teaches you on how to act in different situations. I especially liked reading the "Dear Alex" parts of the book because of the humor that was added into it (although, there's splots of humor through out the book). If you want to know more about good man
Edward Sullivan
Excellent etiquette book for teens.
Duane
Anyone having to deal with teenagers will get SO much from this book. Done with humor, but still very educational, the author does a masterful job of making the reader feel comfortable at learning what is proper and what is rude. I think most teenagers would actually get quite a bit out of this book. It's filled with tons of useful information even adults can use. A great book for any library or parent to include in their collection.
Jeremiah Griff
What do think of this book? What? You think that you hate it? How rude! At least use some manners when talking negatively! This is no ordinary, "Do," and "Do not," book. This book is very hilarious, teaching manners along with a few manners. For example, you are allowed to eat chicken with your hands (typically), but I myself prefer to eat my fingers with a touch of lemon!
Suz
My grandmother picked this up at a library booksale--for the most part, fairly informative. Unfortunately, it wastes pages and pages on lists of things parents think are rude, and things kids think are rude--pretty much all teens know these without having to be told. :-/

Time would be better spent reading Emily Post.
Alexandra B.
I thought it was great! Very witty and it effectively taught etiquette for a teen's mind to understand. I enjoyed reading it. My only problem was remembering all of it! When i get the chance, i will definately reread it again.
Angie
I skimmed this to see if it was appropriate for middle school readers. I enjoyed it and thought it was a good read for older teens and adults. The section on "sex etiquette" caused me to choose something else for my students.
Mary
Covers the basics but also delves into stuff that is usually covered by teen magazines. Engagingly written, definitely appealing and relevant to today's youth.
☠ Tiger Lady II ☠
You don't really *finish* a self help book...
Therese Bockholt
educational and helpful for my students...
Claudette
Claudette marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Seng
Seng added it
May 03, 2015
Equilibrium Constant
Equilibrium Constant marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Donna Daly
Donna Daly marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Diego Phoe
Diego Phoe marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Stephanie Den Ouden
Stephanie Den Ouden marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of
  • Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers
  • With Courage and Cloth: Winning the Fight for a Woman's Right to Vote
  • 33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A
  • Let Me Play: The Story of Title IX: The Law That Changed the Future of Girls in America
  • Stupid Sock Creatures: Making Quirky, Lovable Figures from Cast-off Socks
  • Girls on the Verge: Debutante Dips, Drive-bys, and Other Initiations
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow
  • The Encyclopedia of Immaturity: Volume 2
  • (Once) Again (Again, #2)
  • Down Outback Roads (Outback Dust #2)
  • Rich Dad's Escape from the Rat Race: How to Become a Rich Kid by Following Rich Dad's Advice
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • Manners
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • The Dark Game: True Spy Stories from Invisible Ink to CIA Moles
  • Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon
Alex J. Packer received his Ph.D. in educational and developmental psychology from Boston College and his master’s degree in education from Harvard. He has been headmaster of an alternative school for 11- to 15-year-olds and director of education at the Capital Children’s Museum. He is president emeritus of FCD Educational Services, a Boston-based provider of drug education and substance abuse pre ...more
More about Alex J. Packer...
The How Rude! Handbook of Family Manners for Teens: Avoiding Strife in Family Life The How Rude! Handbook of Friendship & Dating Manners for Teens: Surviving the Social Scene Bringing Up Parents: The Teenager's Handbook The How Rude! Handbook of School Manners for Teens: Civility in the Hallowed Halls Highs!: Over 150 Ways to Feel Really, Really Good... Without Alcohol or Other Drugs