Start by marking “Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise” as Want to Read:
Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise

Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise

We are all at our best when it counts. But what are we like when no one's looking? That's where character comes in--being consistent even when it doesn't seem to matter.Courage. Discipline. Vis
Published July 1st 1987 by Inter-Varsity Press,US (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Who You are When No One's Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who You are When No One's Looking

Chris McGrath
A great overview of what it looks like to be a Christian of character and integrity. It points out four things that every Christian needs: courage, discipline, vision, and endurance. It also discusses tender love, tough love, sacrificial love, and radical love. I think this is a good book to motivate someone looking to grow in the way he lives out his faith, and as a magnifying glass held over some key character traits that may need to be developed further.

UPDATE: After a couple months to reflec
Legacy Dad
Nov 11, 2009 Legacy Dad rated it it was amazing
This book is packed with everything a person needs to be successful in life in just over 100 pages. Hybels shows us and challenges us to maintain our character and values regardless of what society, peers and the media is preaching.

Everyone puts on masks in public in order "look" a certain way or play a certain part. But the choices we make, no matter how large or small, when no one is looking is what really matters in life.

A look at the recent business scandals, political bickering and celebr
Brian Cambra
May 29, 2013 Brian Cambra rated it it was amazing
This was one of several books assigned to me by a pastor who was mentoring me. Like most books by Bill Hybels, it is short and to the point. I loved it. The character traits that Bill indicates lead to integrity are very important and he succinctly discusses their importance and how we can work at maintaining them. I especially loved that love takes up about 4 chapters of the book. This is a great read.
Clara Roberts
Jun 27, 2011 Clara Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hybels list character qualities as courage, discipline, vision, endurance, and love. He devote a chapter to each ot the first four quailities of character. He then devotes five chapters to love. He divides love into tender love, touch love, sacrifical love, radical love and the character of Christ. This is a book I will reread again. I fear that character is what is missing from our life and is so deparately needed. I want to see more character in my life.
Maui
This is the first book I bought in CCF Center's bookstore. The title of the book caught my attention and I immediately grabbed it.

Who you are when no one is looking is one of the hardest question to answer. Is your integrity still intact? So is your thoughts and actions when you are left with nothing but your thoughts? The book discusses about the common yet hard to practice characters from Courage to Vision and Love. It's a great read with so much to ponder about.
Hon3yb33
Dec 14, 2007 Hon3yb33 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: recently-read
This short book is packed with so much depth in every single chapter (I even read some chapters multiples times!). The book isn't preachy and it doesn't try to get you to become a "moral" person with good character just for the sake of it. Anyone, even Christian or not, could totally get so much out of this short book.
Michelle Polk
May 28, 2016 Michelle Polk rated it it was amazing
An excellent book of encouraging advice.
Kingsley Layton
Aug 19, 2015 Kingsley Layton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Very helpful and resourceful.
Rose on aish
Sep 23, 2016 Rose on aish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title: Who You Are When No One's Looking caught my attention. How do we behave when no one is looking? In that your character is proved- to be consistent even when it doesn't seem to have any importance. Courage, discipline, vision, patience and love...these are very important. Bill Hybels writes for each one a whole chapter. What do we need to do God's will? We need COURAGE to join a family which is misunderstood by the world; we need DISCIPLINE to fulfill the duties set by God for His chil ...more
Hannah
May 23, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it
Shelves: holy-moly
I wasn't so sure about this book when I started it, but it really challenged me in some areas that I needed to look at (Courage and Tough Love, particularly), and opened up some really amazing conversations in our small group. It's written very simply, and some parts seem a little pat, but I think that's why it was good to read it with others - we got to talk those parts through, mull them over and give examples of them, and that really made it all come to life.

"Most people who claim they want t
Will Siskey
Sep 12, 2016 Will Siskey rated it it was ok
This book brought up some good points about what we do in our spare/alone time that effects our character. I feel like this would be good for someone to dip their toes in the water. However, if you're looking for something with more depth to really search your heart then I would suggest opting for Battling Unbelief by John Piper, Crazy Love by Francis Chan and/or maybe even Wild at Heart by John Eldridge.
Richard Madarang
Apr 13, 2015 Richard Madarang rated it it was amazing
This book tells a lot about the real struggles and situations of people (Christian or non-Christian) this present age especially on the on the part of the common moral standards of all the society. It has a great mixture of imparting the Biblical truth about our day-to-day issues in life and the practical responses we can do to avoid compromise and conformity at this present age.
Lance
Aug 01, 2013 Lance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final chapters really tie together the rest of the book. Went through this book and the accompanying study guide with a mentor at work. It started some good conversations about who we are at home, at work and when we are alone. Key ideas are going to stick, like being a person of influence. I liked this better than "What on Earth am I Here For" by Rick Warren.
Albert
Dec 27, 2013 Albert rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A concise book on how to be a person of character, enticing you to join the author in his venture using anecdotes that are easy to connect with. There are many nice nuggets of wisdom and insight scattered in the book. And more importantly, there are practical suggestions on how to incorporate these concepts into one's life.
Nicole
Sep 11, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it
This was a small book that didn't take me very long to read. Hybels says that character is comprised of five things: courage, discipline, vision, endurance and love.I'm always interested in character.
Brandon Paul Ford
Jan 13, 2014 Brandon Paul Ford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous read

I loved this book, I love how the author uses personal stories to excite the reader. and I love his advice. you can tell this man is a disciple for Christ. I really recommend this book as well as his other ones.
Nelly
Jun 05, 2011 Nelly rated it it was amazing
Seringkali kita tidak menjadi seperti apa yg kita katakan, ketika orang lain tidak melihat apa yg kita lakukan/kerjakan. Buku ini kembali mengevaluasi "kemunafikan" yg sering kita lakukan, sengaja atau terkadang tidak disengaja.
Julie
Feb 07, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
This is a pretty easy read talking about different characteristics that people should try to have. It's written by a pastor so there's a lot of spiritual talk in here too which is nice so it's not just a worldly view.
Alanna Angel
Feb 19, 2011 Alanna Angel rated it really liked it
Our Sunday School class did this book together. It was a short study. It was practical. We had good discussions. I recommend it for personal study or small group study.
Cindy
Jun 23, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book had some good things that will be helpful in life. It was easy to read and Bill Hybels made associated everything with things that happen in every day life.
Tracy Laws
Feb 09, 2016 Tracy Laws rated it it was amazing
One of the Best books on Godly Character I've read. Practical, Insightful, Convicting and an easy read.
Donna
Jan 08, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
A good bible study focused on the character qualities of: Courage, Discipline, Vision, Endurance, Compassion, and Self-scarifice. Consider this study with a small group of friends.
Cuneyt
Dec 25, 2012 Cuneyt rated it did not like it
Could have been a much better book if it was not so buried in Christian point of view. Zig Zaglar does a much better job on that kind of topic.
Cheryl
It was read for academic reasons, but I found by reading it a wonderful personal growth opportunity.
Ruth Baker
Oct 02, 2012 Ruth Baker rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I needed to hear to keep me going and I read this just at the right time. This is not to indepth but covers everything it needs to. Very readable. Good for inquisitive non-Christians
Rock
Apr 24, 2012 Rock rated it liked it
Shelves: abrahamic
Character, courage, discipline, vision, endurance, & love are Hybels' topics in this book of Christian encouragement.
Ligia Stockwell
I am so happy that I read this book. It really challenged me to be more disciplined, courageous, and loving.
I definitely recommend this book
Todd
Jan 03, 2015 Todd marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Edyta
Nov 24, 2013 Edyta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is true that much can be said in few words. This book's message deserves a second, even a third look. There is much to reflect upon.
Heather
Feb 03, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and thought it had some good points about different character traits. Overall, it didn't seem as meaty as others I've read by Hybels.
  • Think on These Things: Meditations for Leaders
  • Living in Christ's Presence: Final Words on Heaven and the Kingdom of God
  • Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • What You Say Is What You Get
  • The World Is Not Ours to Save: Moving from Activist Causes to a Lifelong Calling
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...

“Whatever your quitting point, I challenge you to test God’s truth and faithfulness by saying, “God, I’m going to proceed, trusting you to empower me to crash through this quitting point and come out in one piece on the other side.” 2 likes
“Delayed gratification is important first and foremost in training children.” 2 likes