Start by marking “Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise” as Want to Read:
Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise

Who You are When No One's Looking: Choosing Consistency, Resisting Compromise

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  42 reviews
We are all at our best when it counts. But what are we like when no one's looking? That's where character comes in--being consistent even when it doesn't seem to matter.Courage. Discipline. Vis
Published July 1st 1987 by Inter-Varsity Press,US

To ask other readers questions about Who You are When No One's Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who You are When No One's Looking

Gunner McGrath
A great overview of what it looks like to be a Christian of character and integrity. It points out four things that every Christian needs: courage, discipline, vision, and endurance. It also discusses tender love, tough love, sacrificial love, and radical love. I think this is a good book to motivate someone looking to grow in the way he lives out his faith, and as a magnifying glass held over some key character traits that may need to be developed further.

UPDATE: After a couple months to reflec
Hannah
I wasn't so sure about this book when I started it, but it really challenged me in some areas that I needed to look at (Courage and Tough Love, particularly), and opened up some really amazing conversations in our small group. It's written very simply, and some parts seem a little pat, but I think that's why it was good to read it with others - we got to talk those parts through, mull them over and give examples of them, and that really made it all come to life.

"Most people who claim they want t
Legacy Dad
This book is packed with everything a person needs to be successful in life in just over 100 pages. Hybels shows us and challenges us to maintain our character and values regardless of what society, peers and the media is preaching.

Everyone puts on masks in public in order "look" a certain way or play a certain part. But the choices we make, no matter how large or small, when no one is looking is what really matters in life.

A look at the recent business scandals, political bickering and celebr
Clara Roberts
Hybels list character qualities as courage, discipline, vision, endurance, and love. He devote a chapter to each ot the first four quailities of character. He then devotes five chapters to love. He divides love into tender love, touch love, sacrifical love, radical love and the character of Christ. This is a book I will reread again. I fear that character is what is missing from our life and is so deparately needed. I want to see more character in my life.
The Lit Cave
This was one of several books assigned to me by a pastor who was mentoring me. Like most books by Bill Hybels, it is short and to the point. I loved it. The character traits that Bill indicates lead to integrity are very important and he succinctly discusses their importance and how we can work at maintaining them. I especially loved that love takes up about 4 chapters of the book. This is a great read.
Albert
Dec 31, 2013 Albert rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
A concise book on how to be a person of character, enticing you to join the author in his venture using anecdotes that are easy to connect with. There are many nice nuggets of wisdom and insight scattered in the book. And more importantly, there are practical suggestions on how to incorporate these concepts into one's life.
Lance
The final chapters really tie together the rest of the book. Went through this book and the accompanying study guide with a mentor at work. It started some good conversations about who we are at home, at work and when we are alone. Key ideas are going to stick, like being a person of influence. I liked this better than "What on Earth am I Here For" by Rick Warren.
Hon3yb33
Jan 13, 2008 Hon3yb33 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: recently-read
This short book is packed with so much depth in every single chapter (I even read some chapters multiples times!). The book isn't preachy and it doesn't try to get you to become a "moral" person with good character just for the sake of it. Anyone, even Christian or not, could totally get so much out of this short book.
Brandon Paul Ford
Gorgeous read

I loved this book, I love how the author uses personal stories to excite the reader. and I love his advice. you can tell this man is a disciple for Christ. I really recommend this book as well as his other ones.
Nelly
Seringkali kita tidak menjadi seperti apa yg kita katakan, ketika orang lain tidak melihat apa yg kita lakukan/kerjakan. Buku ini kembali mengevaluasi "kemunafikan" yg sering kita lakukan, sengaja atau terkadang tidak disengaja.
Msdot
I don't remember how many times I have read this. A small book with such depth.
Julie
This is a pretty easy read talking about different characteristics that people should try to have. It's written by a pastor so there's a lot of spiritual talk in here too which is nice so it's not just a worldly view.
Nicole
This was a small book that didn't take me very long to read. Hybels says that character is comprised of five things: courage, discipline, vision, endurance and love.I'm always interested in character.
Ruth Baker
Exactly what I needed to hear to keep me going and I read this just at the right time. This is not to indepth but covers everything it needs to. Very readable. Good for inquisitive non-Christians
Donna
A good bible study focused on the character qualities of: Courage, Discipline, Vision, Endurance, Compassion, and Self-scarifice. Consider this study with a small group of friends.
Cindy
I think this book had some good things that will be helpful in life. It was easy to read and Bill Hybels made associated everything with things that happen in every day life.
Alanna Angel
Our Sunday School class did this book together. It was a short study. It was practical. We had good discussions. I recommend it for personal study or small group study.
Heather
I enjoyed this book and thought it had some good points about different character traits. Overall, it didn't seem as meaty as others I've read by Hybels.
Cuneyt
Could have been a much better book if it was not so buried in Christian point of view. Zig Zaglar does a much better job on that kind of topic.
Edyta
It is true that much can be said in few words. This book's message deserves a second, even a third look. There is much to reflect upon.
Rock
Character, courage, discipline, vision, endurance, & love are Hybels' topics in this book of Christian encouragement.
Electra
It started out really well, and I think it slowed down a bit towards the end. Overall, it was good.
Cary Sawatsky
A typical Hybels book--practical and helpful, but not quite what I had expected from the title.
Andy Anderson
Great book.... Must read as a reminder about various aspects of the inner life...
Brian
great character development book. the title says it all, but it's worth a look inside.
John Caves
I love the focus on character. A focus on character is a wise investment.
Vince Michael
Great book about the author's personal journey in character molding. :)
Abbie
The title says it all, who are you when no one is looking? Great book
Jennifer Parker
Enjoyed the details of characteristics that needed to be reminded of...
  • Gospel in Life: Grace Changes Everything
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion and Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • The Great Omission: Reclaiming Jesus's Essential Teachings on Discipleship
  • Loving the Way Jesus Loves
  • Six Hours One Friday: Living in the Power of the Cross
  • The Life of the Body: Physical Well-Being and Spiritual Formation
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
Bill Hybels is the founding and senior pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Ill., and chairman of the board for the Willow Creek Association. The bestselling author of more than twenty books, including Axiom, Holy Discontent, Just Walk Across the Room, The Volunteer Revolution, Courageous Leadership, and classics such as Too Busy Not to Pray and Becoming a Contagious Christ ...more
More about Bill Hybels...
Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God Courageous Leadership Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith Becoming a Contagious Christian Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs