Start by marking “When No One Was Looking” as Want to Read:
When No One Was Looking

When No One Was Looking

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Kathy is a young tennis player with enough drive, attitude, and talent to go right to the top. And it seems that everyone around her has a stake in her success. So, when Kathy is presented with an opponent she can't beat, and a tragedy occurs, everyone's motives are questioned. They all want victory badly-but would anyone really kill for it?

"Urgently compelling." -Publishe
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published March 1st 1991 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about When No One Was Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When No One Was Looking

Catherine
omg this was SUCH a good book i read it a couple summers ago but i wanna re-read it because it was sooo good i never wouldve guessed the end! my mom read it a bunch of times when she was my age thats how good it was! its by the author of max and ruby how random is that??
Daniel
I personally think this book is a great read. The book was centered around Kathy a teenage girl gifted with talents in tennis with and a bizarre ending. You need just a little interest in tennis otherwise the book can get a little boring, but the whole twist in the end of the book will most likely get your interests instantly back up but sadly its at the end. I wish there was a little more excitement in the middle of the book. But overall I had a great time reading it. I also personally recommen ...more
This was a young adult novel centered around Kathy, a teenage girl, that is very gifted at tennis. Another girl, Ruth, jeapordizes Kathy's success in tennis. Unfortunately, Ruth drowns while swimming in the club's pool and the mystery begins... I found the novel, although short, to be very slow moving, barely holding my interest, although some of the reviews said the ending was "unexpected", so I kept reading. It definitely had an unexpected ending, but it never really picked up.
i remember getting this book from a troll catalog or something in the 5th grade maybe. it's funny to look through my old books and check them out again when i'm home. but hey, this book is by rosemary wells! the author of those bunny children's books! it was a nice light read that did its "goosebumps" cover justice. i did get lost a bit in the tennis terminology but it was totally chilling to think of murder among high schoolers.
Kate
I found this book as I was weeding my YA collection... and then I remembered some book about a girl who plays tennis competitively and a murder involving a swimming pool. I seem to recall the main character's name being Kate or Katie but the book description shows that her name is Kathy. Anyway, I believe it is the same book I remember reading.
Liz
If you like tennis, details about tennis, know famous tennis players, and enjoy people talking about anything else revolving around tennis, then you will love this book. I don't have any interest in the sport so it was very boring to me. It attempted to have a mystery in it, but it was watered down by the focus on winning every tennis match.
skein
Read this in elementary school, so my memories are a little hazy. But I remember it had the most shocking, disturbing, and visceral punch-in-the-gut ending I'd ever come across, at that time.

Rosemary Wells is primarily a children's book author, with a few dozen books to her name, so this nasty little murder-mystery is even more intriguing.
Debbie
It was a good story, but I didn't like how she finished the ending too much.
Sarah added it
Aug 09, 2015
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
george
george added it
May 02, 2015
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Katarina Bishop
Katarina Bishop marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Marie
Marie added it
Sep 30, 2014
Chrys
Chrys marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nyambura
Nyambura marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Alexandra Vallebo
Alexandra Vallebo marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...
Bunny Cakes Yoko Noisy Nora Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories On the Blue Comet