Start by marking “When No One Was Looking” as Want to Read:
When No One Was Looking

When No One Was Looking

Kathy is a young tennis player with enough drive, attitude, and talent to go right to the top. And it seems that everyone around her has a stake in her success. So, when Kathy is presented with an opponent she can't beat, and a tragedy occurs, everyone's motives are questioned. They all want victory badly-but would anyone really kill for it?

"Urgently compelling." -Publishe
Published March 1st 1991 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about When No One Was Looking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When No One Was Looking

Erin
Nov 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
This was just great! Prosaic writing, Hitchcock plotline.... what a classic! Can't believe it took me so long to find this one!
Daniel
Nov 18, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing
I personally think this book is a great read. The book was centered around Kathy a teenage girl gifted with talents in tennis with and a bizarre ending. You need just a little interest in tennis otherwise the book can get a little boring, but the whole twist in the end of the book will most likely get your interests instantly back up but sadly its at the end. I wish there was a little more excitement in the middle of the book. But overall I had a great time reading it. I also personally recommen ...more
Jan 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: others, library
This was a young adult novel centered around Kathy, a teenage girl, that is very gifted at tennis. Another girl, Ruth, jeapordizes Kathy's success in tennis. Unfortunately, Ruth drowns while swimming in the club's pool and the mystery begins... I found the novel, although short, to be very slow moving, barely holding my interest, although some of the reviews said the ending was "unexpected", so I kept reading. It definitely had an unexpected ending, but it never really picked up.
Dec 23, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
i remember getting this book from a troll catalog or something in the 5th grade maybe. it's funny to look through my old books and check them out again when i'm home. but hey, this book is by rosemary wells! the author of those bunny children's books! it was a nice light read that did its "goosebumps" cover justice. i did get lost a bit in the tennis terminology but it was totally chilling to think of murder among high schoolers.
Liz
Aug 18, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
If you like tennis, details about tennis, know famous tennis players, and enjoy people talking about anything else revolving around tennis, then you will love this book. I don't have any interest in the sport so it was very boring to me. It attempted to have a mystery in it, but it was watered down by the focus on winning every tennis match.
skein
Jul 10, 2009 skein rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghost-stories, 4-star
Read this in elementary school, so my memories are a little hazy. But I remember it had the most shocking, disturbing, and visceral punch-in-the-gut ending I'd ever come across, at that time.

Rosemary Wells is primarily a children's book author, with a few dozen books to her name, so this nasty little murder-mystery is even more intriguing.
Kate
Jun 02, 2009 Kate rated it liked it
I found this book as I was weeding my YA collection... and then I remembered some book about a girl who plays tennis competitively and a murder involving a swimming pool. I seem to recall the main character's name being Kate or Katie but the book description shows that her name is Kathy. Anyway, I believe it is the same book I remember reading.
Debbie
Apr 18, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
It was a good story, but I didn't like how she finished the ending too much.
Hana
Hana rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Carole
Carole rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2009
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2016
Samantha
Apr 02, 2017 Samantha rated it did not like it
S
S rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2012
Joyouslib
Joyouslib rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2008
Whitni
Whitni rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2010
Chrislyn Gebert
Chrislyn Gebert rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Katie Nieto
Katie Nieto rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2013
Beth Kaminske
Beth Kaminske rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
May 12, 2011
Mars
Mars rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2010
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
mdt
mdt rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2009
lil Jean
lil Jean rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2009
Sophia F
Sophia F rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Rosemary Wells is the author of a number of popular children's books, most notably the Max and Ruby series which follows the everyday adventures of sibling bunnies - curious three year old Max and bossy seven year old Ruby. She gets the inspiration for Max and Ruby from her two daughters and the experiences they
More about Rosemary Wells...