The Quilt That Walked to Golden: Women and Quilts in the Mountain West-From the Overland Trail to Contemporary Colorado

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Drawing its inspiration from letters, journals, and—most importantly—quilts, this engaging account chronicles the history of the women who settled the town of Golden, Colorado, over the course of two centuries. Laced with true stories drawn from American quilting history, the narrative follows the transformation of the shanty mining village into a thriving community, movin...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Breckling Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Quilt That Walked to Golden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quilt That Walked to Golden

Alaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerLooking for Alaska by John GreenCrazy in Alabama by Mark ChildressGods in Alabama by Joshilyn JacksonAlaska by James A. Michener
Name of State (USA) in Title: A-C
105th out of 123 books — 30 voters
The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Runaway Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Union Quilters by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas
Quilt on the Cover
88th out of 141 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Ruth
Some of the frontier women were very colorful, as were their quilts.
Kay
Part history, part memoir, this book is authored by Sandra Dallas who also wrote [The Persian Pickle Club] and others.

Having absolutely no spirit of adventure, I always marvel at our early American pioneers. The message of these womens' undaunting courage is conveyed in the text of this book and we share in their ability to enjoy some parts of their lives and add to the beauty of their surroundings as we view photos of their quilts.

JayeL
Mar 25, 2009 JayeL marked it as to-read
Shelves: quilt
In the first bit of this book, one thing the author says is how little we know about women who walked across the country towards the west. I think that will be rue when historians look back at our time since people no longer keep diaries. Yes, they keep blogs, which will help those historians, but I wonder if it is the same.
Cynthia
I enjoyed this book. It really made me think about the hardships that our pioneer ancestors endured. There are so many things about my life that I take for granted--store bought fabric, needles, thread, running water, a comfortable home.
The stories about women and their quilt making were enlightening.
Ratforce
Since you enjoy both history and quilting, be sure to check out Sandra Dallas’ The Quilt That Walked to Golden . This book offers a fascinating glimpse into pioneer life, especially women’s lives, and the many ways that quilting was important in the new West.
Brooke
This book would be a heck of a lot more interesting if I was a quilter. As I am NOT, it was just okay. I thought it was sort of randomly put together - very choppy. An interesting little look at history - I ended up just skimming through much of it.
Lara
I have kinda gone on a Sandra Dallas kick this month. I really like her writing. It is thoughtful and the characters are easy to relate to. I also like that most of her books take place in "the olden times".
Jacquelyn
Jan 03, 2009 Jacquelyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Quilting lovers and history buffs
I reall enjoyed this book. For anyone who enjoys quilting and then enjoys history. This tells the history of western women and the quilts that they made, specifically women who settled in Colorado.
Margo Brooks
A really nice book. Having recently moved to Colorado, I enjoyed the insights into the history of Colorado and quilting in the state. The photographs were fantastic and it was easy to read.
Erin
Nov 05, 2007 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my mother
Got this from the library to see if it would be an interesting book for my quilting mother. I'm going to get it for her. Great pictures, and Colorado History.
Chanel
Even if you are not into quilts this is an great book about amazing women and families and sacrifice. If you are into quilts, this book will blow your mind!
Angela Keller
Wonderful book about the history of quilts in the Colorado area and the women who made them!
Dawna
Interesting nonfiction. Always enjoy quilts!
Nicole
Women and quilts in the developing west.
Terri
Wonderful reference book. Very inspiring.
Melissa
Very interesting and great pictures of quilts.
Diane
Enjoyed this book and the tales of strong women.
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Carrie Weatherford
Carrie Weatherford marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Mrs. Wolcott
Mrs. Wolcott marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Rhonda Leonard
Rhonda Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff...more
More about Sandra Dallas...
Prayers for Sale The Persian Pickle Club Tallgrass The Diary of Mattie Spenser Alice's Tulips