Start by marking “The Quilt That Walked to Golden: Women and Quilts in the Mountain West - From the Overland Trail to Contemporary Colorado” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Drawing its inspiration from letters, journals, and—most importantly—quilts, this engaging account chronicles the history of the women who settled the town of Golden, Colorado, over the course of two centuries. Laced with true stories drawn from American quilting history, the narrative follows the transformation of the shanty mining village into a thriving community, movin ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Breckling Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Quilt That Walked to Golden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quilt That Walked to Golden

The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Persian Pickle Club by Sandra DallasThe Runaway Quilt by Jennifer ChiaveriniThe Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini
Quilt on the Cover
36th out of 139 books — 24 voters
Alaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerLooking for Alaska by John GreenA Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark TwainGods in Alabama by Joshilyn JacksonAlaska by James A. Michener
Name of State (USA) in Title: A-C
108th out of 126 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
Apr 27, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
A walk through pioneer to modern history of women making quilts. SD notes many well-known quilt patterns and gives a historical review of quilting methods, styles and quilters. She explains how quilting moved from utilitarian bedcovers to works of art & history.
Ruth
May 26, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Some of the frontier women were very colorful, as were their quilts.
Debbie
Feb 07, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
Cool quilt patterns and stories
Alix
Mar 31, 2015 Alix rated it really liked it
An interesting (and relatively brief) history of quilting in the West. Primarily focused on Colorado, it would have been interesting to have other Western communities/states discussed too.
Kay
Aug 16, 2008 Kay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, favorites
Part history, part memoir, this book is authored by Sandra Dallas who also wrote [The Persian Pickle Club] and others.

Having absolutely no spirit of adventure, I always marvel at our early American pioneers. The message of these womens' undaunting courage is conveyed in the text of this book and we share in their ability to enjoy some parts of their lives and add to the beauty of their surroundings as we view photos of their quilts.

JayeL
Mar 25, 2009 JayeL marked it as to-read
Shelves: quilt
In the first bit of this book, one thing the author says is how little we know about women who walked across the country towards the west. I think that will be rue when historians look back at our time since people no longer keep diaries. Yes, they keep blogs, which will help those historians, but I wonder if it is the same.
Cynthia
Sep 30, 2012 Cynthia rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It really made me think about the hardships that our pioneer ancestors endured. There are so many things about my life that I take for granted--store bought fabric, needles, thread, running water, a comfortable home.
The stories about women and their quilt making were enlightening.
Ratforce
Since you enjoy both history and quilting, be sure to check out Sandra Dallas’ The Quilt That Walked to Golden . This book offers a fascinating glimpse into pioneer life, especially women’s lives, and the many ways that quilting was important in the new West.
Brooke
Jan 13, 2011 Brooke rated it liked it
This book would be a heck of a lot more interesting if I was a quilter. As I am NOT, it was just okay. I thought it was sort of randomly put together - very choppy. An interesting little look at history - I ended up just skimming through much of it.
Lara
Jan 15, 2009 Lara rated it it was amazing
I have kinda gone on a Sandra Dallas kick this month. I really like her writing. It is thoughtful and the characters are easy to relate to. I also like that most of her books take place in "the olden times".
Jen
Jul 15, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
I really enjoyed reading about early quilters of Colorado. The history is fantastic. I always think about how hard it must have been for those women back in the day and how easy I have it in 2015.
Jacquelyn
Jan 03, 2009 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Quilting lovers and history buffs
I reall enjoyed this book. For anyone who enjoys quilting and then enjoys history. This tells the history of western women and the quilts that they made, specifically women who settled in Colorado.
Margo Brooks
Oct 11, 2009 Margo Brooks rated it liked it
A really nice book. Having recently moved to Colorado, I enjoyed the insights into the history of Colorado and quilting in the state. The photographs were fantastic and it was easy to read.
Erin
Nov 05, 2007 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my mother
Got this from the library to see if it would be an interesting book for my quilting mother. I'm going to get it for her. Great pictures, and Colorado History.
Chanel
Feb 28, 2008 Chanel rated it it was amazing
Even if you are not into quilts this is an great book about amazing women and families and sacrifice. If you are into quilts, this book will blow your mind!
Angela Keller
Mar 21, 2013 Angela Keller rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book about the history of quilts in the Colorado area and the women who made them!
Barbara
Aug 23, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
Dawna
Aug 25, 2012 Dawna rated it liked it
Interesting nonfiction. Always enjoy quilts!
Nicole
Nov 25, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Women and quilts in the developing west.
Terri
Jan 25, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
Wonderful reference book. Very inspiring.
Melissa
Sep 28, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and great pictures of quilts.
Diane
Jan 31, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book and the tales of strong women.
Marion McClellan
Marion McClellan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Becky
Becky added it
Apr 22, 2016
Sandra Blanton
Sandra Blanton marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Pamela Chapman
Pamela Chapman marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Diana
Diana added it
Mar 27, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
  • Quilter's Complete Guide
  • The Healing Quilt
  • Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilting Effects Using Your Sewing Machine
  • 501 Quilt Blocks: A Treasury of Patterns for Patchwork & Applique
  • Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • Vanished Arizona: Recollections of the Army Life of a New England Woman
  • The New Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide
  • The Spinner's Book of Yarn Designs: Techniques for Creating 80 Yarns
  • The King's Best Highway: The Lost History of the Boston Post Road, the Route That Made America
  • 1, 2, 3 Sew: Build Your Skills with 33 Simple Sewing Projects
  • Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green: Or How to Mix the Color You Want-Every Time
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Only Passing Through
  • On the Road with Charles Kuralt
  • Stronger Than Steel: Spider Silk DNA and the Quest for Better Bulletproof Vests, Sutures, and Parachute Rope
  • The Roosevelt Women: A Portrait In Five Generations
  • Wives of the Signers: The Women Behind the Declaration of Independence
Award-winning author SANDRA DALLAS was dubbed “a quintessential American voice” by Jane Smiley, in Vogue Magazine. Sandra’s novels with their themes of loyalty, friendship, and human dignity have been translated into a dozen foreign languages and have been optioned for films.

A journalism graduate of the University of Denver, Sandra began her writing career as a reporter with Business Week. A staff
More about Sandra Dallas...