Start by marking “Wombat Goes Walkabout” as Want to Read:
Wombat Goes Walkabout

Wombat Goes Walkabout

Wombat loves digging deep holes and thinking deep thoughts, but nobody thinks much of that until danger threatens the bush and the small wombat comes up with a great big idea...
Published August 7th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wombat Goes Walkabout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wombat Goes Walkabout

Connie
Jul 07, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly, it must be admitted, because the boy in it looks a lot like her bestest friend ever.

This is a simply written (if slightly long) book about a wombat whose only skill, it seems, is to dig and think. Everybody he encounters laughs at how little he can do, showing off *their* skills.

But when a fire comes and he digs and digs and digs a hole, he invites them all to share his hole, because he's been thinking and he *thinks* that they can't outrun the fire with their abilities, but he can hide
Paula
Wombat is running into all the animals in the Australian outback while he is looking for his mother. They all tell him what their strengths are and think that digging and thinking is not much when the wombat tells them that is what he can do. But he saves the day when a fire comes and with his new friends finds his mother. A lot of text,but a good repeat sentence book for the older story time kids
Gwnhwyfer
Jun 22, 2011 Gwnhwyfer rated it did not like it
After digging a hole (and thinking), wombat goes off to look for mom and on the way, meets a variety of Australian animals, who tell him what they can do. Wombat's digging (and thinking) save the others, and wombat meets up with mom in the end (with help from his new friends). This story didn't click for me - I think that searching for mom was extraneous. She didn't feel like part of the story.
Heather
There isn't much science involved here, so I didn't count it as such. It is a nice story about embracing your strengths and helping others. The illustrations are lovely and the text, while repetitive, works very well for younger kids. My 4th-graders listened with interest, but rolled their eyes at me a few times. The two younger boys enjoyed it more.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: L

Elementary: E MOR

Cute story about a Wombat that goes searching for his mother and meets a variety of other characters along the way that ask him what he does. When they think what they can do is better then his talents they learn that everyone's talents have a place and time to be used.

Great for REFLECTIVE!
Tricia
Jun 18, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
While this book's text at times seems extraneous and the story stretches longer than what feels necessary, this story would be wonderful adaption by a storyteller or into a puppet play. Wombat searches and searches for his mother and meets quite a few animals along the way. Part of the appeal of this title is the inclusion of Australian animals.
Vivian
Aug 24, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We're finished diving the Great Barrier Reef. We'd better leave our scuba gear in the boat and change into hiking clothes. Let's put on our walk-about hat now and join Wombat. Keep your eyes open for all the wildlife unique to this continent!
LauraW
Oct 02, 2012 LauraW rated it really liked it
This is a "where is my mother" style book that highlights the abilities of various Australian animals, as well as the fire danger of the Australian bush. Cute, but more anthropomorphic than the Jackie French books.
Erica
Sep 12, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
I need a wombat to call my own!
Margie
Mar 08, 2008 Margie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is a cute book about a Wombat who is looking for his mother and ends up meeting some friends along the way. It reminds me a bit of "Are You My Mother". The illustrations are great too.
Aditya /
Aug 23, 2010 Aditya / rated it it was amazing
It had very cute pictures, one of the best I've seen in this respect.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Portrays what happens to animals caught in a wildfire. Though it takes place in Australia, it would go well out west and down in Texas, where wildfires often occur.
Leah
Might work as a felt story for an Australian animal storytime, otherwise a little long for storytime. Beautiful illustrations!
Gaby
I like using this book to introduce the Kindy kids to the different parts of the library to help answer the question, 'what can a wombat do?'
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 Yarb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Rich, shimmering art evokes the mirages of the outback perfectly and there are lots of cool antipodean critters. But the story is overly repetitious.
Kathy
Dec 19, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Aussie vocab in a fun book.
Yma
Yma rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Michelle Gibson
Michelle Gibson rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Marcie
Marcie rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2010
Shanna
Shanna rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2007
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2008
Skylar Burris
Skylar Burris rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2008
Joy Chi
Joy Chi rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Philip Martin
Philip Martin rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Caroline Tweedy
Caroline Tweedy rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Ronna
Ronna rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...