Start by marking “Russia and the Soviet Union: An Historical Introduction from the Kievan State to the Present” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This lucid account of Russian and Soviet history presents major trends and events from ancient Kievan Rus’ to Vladimir Putin’s presidency of the twenty-first century. Now thoroughly revised and updated, Russia and the Soviet Union does not shy away from controversial topics, including the impact of the Mongol conquest, the paradoxes of Peter the Great, the “inevitability” ...more
Published July 29th 2008 by Westview Press (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Russia and the Soviet Union, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russia and the Soviet Union

Brad Rousse
Jul 14, 2015 Brad Rousse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, informative overview of Russian history from the ancient past to the year 2012. A good read if you want to understand what makes Russia and her people tick. Can't help but notice the comments about tensions with Ukraine, Putin's continuing authoritarianism and the trends towards aggressive foreign policy, though.
Shannon
Nov 19, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-school
I had to read this for my Russian History class and really enjoyed it. I had another history class last year with the same teacher and we had to read an incredibly boring book about European history that made it really hard to read it everyday for my class. This book was not like that. Every chapter started with an interesting vignette pertinent to the chapter that showed the tsars of Russian in a really human way before starting the straight up facts. But even Thompson's factual information is ...more
Elvin
Sep 27, 2013 Elvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly interesting and very well written book about a subject I knew very little. His style keeps it interesting and that is often not true where this much history has to be covered. I will seek other books by this author solely because I like his style.
Annamarie
Jul 25, 2011 Annamarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
To be honest I would have never read this book if it were not for the fact that it was required for my history class. But having now read it; the book is not bad at all, it actually makes Russian history interesting to someone that does not give a darn.
Megan
Russia and the Soviet Union: An Historical Introduction from the Kievan State to the Present by John M. Thompson (1998)
Cecelia
Its alright, I had to read it for a class otherwise i wouldn't have bought it, let alone pick it up off the shelf
Rebecca Brink
Feb 19, 2011 Rebecca Brink rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, textbooks
One of the more satiable textbooks, and balanced.
Alice19thsr
Apr 30, 2010 Alice19thsr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
though i have the 6th edition
Sally Rubis
Sally Rubis is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2016
Kimberly Kennedy
Kimberly Kennedy marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Tyler Runde
Tyler Runde rated it did not like it
Dec 13, 2015
Mark Richard
Mark Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Aly Lew
Aly Lew marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Chris Peterson
Chris Peterson marked it as to-read
Brandon Halaychik
Brandon Halaychik rated it it was amazing
Fran
Fran is currently reading it
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2015
Tracey Newport
Tracey Newport rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Tamara Barringer
Tamara Barringer rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015