Start by marking “Lone Creek” as Want to Read:
Lone Creek

Lone Creek (Hugh Davoren #1)

After a failed career and marriage in California, Hugh Davoren is back in Helena, Montana, as a construction hand at the old Pettyjohn Ranch, home of many childhood memories—including the seemingly accidental death of his teenaged first love, Celia.

Hugh is just trying to get through another long workday on the ranch when he discovers two dead stallions. A further probe int
Published April 3rd 2007 by Harper (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lone Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lone Creek

Maddy
May 20, 2010 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007-reads
RATING: 4.5

Hugh Davoren is a former journalist who is now working in construction in an isolated area of Montana. He's lived most of his life in this place. Currently, he is working on the Pettyjohn Ranch. Its owners, Wesley and Laurie Balcomb, are new to the area and raising thoroughbred horses. One evening when Hugh is finishing up on the job, he goes to the area where he dumps the construction debris. He makes a horrible discovery, two dead horses who have not just died but obviously been mur
Chompa
Aug 03, 2008 Chompa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chompa by: Nursenut
Wow. The dust jacket said something about it being reminiscent of a Raymond Chandler novel, but in this one the main character wears a tool belt and lives in Montana. That got my interest.

The main character, Hugh Davoren is a great character. He's competent, but flawed. Highly educated, but working and living a simple life as a carpenter.

I'd liken this more to a Robert B. Parker book (or Robert Crais), because like Spenser (or Elvis Cole) Hugh has a bad-ass friend who helps him out - Madbird,
Sandra
Aug 31, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it
This was an okay read, though I didn't find it that great. There were a lot of plot holes and I would've liked a little more background into his past, but not a lot was given.

Hugh leaves California after a failed marriage to try life again in Montana where he grew up. After stumbling across some weird things on the ranch where he's working, Hugh is thrown into an undercover world he knew nothing about.

The language was a little strong and there were some phrases I'd rather not read in the book, b
ccccurt Heimbuck
Jul 01, 2007 ccccurt Heimbuck rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: western mystery fans.
I think I liked this book more than I thought. Now that I'm done with it, I find myself wishing I had another book just like it to read. I like Western mysteries of their language. Yeah, they're formulaic, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. And if that formula lets the writer use phrases like "straight as a wedding dick," then I can definitely go with it.
Steve
Jan 19, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2007
My first McMahon read -- it won't be my last. Set in Montana, it is a noir romance with mysteries buried in the past and a man on the run. James Crumley gave it a glowing cover blurb, too -- if you like Crumley, you stand a good chance of enjoying this one. Note to self: add McMahon's other books to the to-read list...
Steven Howes
Oct 14, 2009 Steven Howes rated it really liked it
I like good mystery novels especially when they are set in country that I am familiar with. This one is set in the Helena, Montana area near where my brother-in-law used to live. I picked this one up in Missoula last September and couldn't put it down. No hidden messages or deep meaning - just a fun book.
Dick
Dec 27, 2013 Dick rated it really liked it
Great characters and a real sense of Montana. You can almost feel the beauty as McMahon describes it. Hugh is a very real but flawed hero and you will want to read more about him when you finish this book.
Ben
Feb 07, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A true western in the sense of place, action and where the good guys stand with the law. It's well paced, suspense filled, with enough love in all the right places.
Susan kavon
Sep 07, 2009 Susan kavon rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it b/c of the local significance, but also it was a very good story, if you can get past all the F words!!
Brice
Aug 25, 2008 Brice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting enough to finish, not interesting enough to start. Montana ranch-hand finds himself the victim of circumstance. Hide / seek / confrontations ensue.
Ron
Mar 21, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Just ran across this on the library shelf and checked it out. Very good writing with a moral center, interesting characters and set in beautiful Montana.
Mom
May 21, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing
Great mystery. Montana author, book set in and around Helena area. I enjoyed this book and would recommend other titles by this author also.
Alisa
Aug 01, 2008 Alisa rated it liked it
Shelves: readers-choice
Interesting mystery. More kind of "westernish" for my true tastes, but okay read. I think there is a sequel but I probably won't read it.
Rolf
Rolf rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
annodluvsbks
annodluvsbks rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Gordon Brown
Gordon Brown rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Marcia
Marcia rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Caveman54
Caveman54 rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2014
April
April rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2009
brie
brie rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2010
Drew
Drew rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2010
wanda
wanda rated it it was ok
May 10, 2012
Thentrisius King of Dwarves
Thentrisius King of Dwarves rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2007
Tucker
Tucker rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2009
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Mr. Gottshalk
Mr. Gottshalk rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
aka Daniel Rhodes.

Neil McMahon grew up in Chicago, holds a degree in psychology from Stanford, and has lived in Montana since 1971. His wife, Kim, coordinates the annual Montana Festival Of The Book. Along with writing, he spent many years working as a carpenter. He has published ten thrillers in addition to co-authoring, with James Patterson, the #1 New York Times bestseller, TOYS. His first thre
More about Neil McMahon...

Hugh Davoren (2 books)