Start by marking “Icarus” as Want to Read:
Icarus

Icarus

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  472 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
JACK KELLER IS ON TOP OF THE WORLD.BUT SOMEONE WITH A PENCHANT FOR THROWING PEOPLE OUT OF WINDOWS WANTS TO BRING HIM DOWN.

ICARUS

International bestselling author Russell Andrews, a new master of suspense fiction who is "enthralling...and entertaining" (Chicago Tribune), crafts a sophisticted, edge-of-the-ledgw novel of Hitchcockian proportions. An innocent man is caught up
Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Published June 25th 2002 by Pocket (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Icarus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Icarus

Sherilyn
Nov 04, 2014 Sherilyn rated it really liked it
This thriller moved at a cracking pace and was damned hard to put down. My tunnel vision stopped me from working out who dunnit until the author revealed all very near the end of the book. By then he had killed off 90% of the characters but I still didn't see it coming. Entirely well written and readable. Extra points for the life saving gargoyle.
David
Jul 17, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A horrifically chilling and fast-paced start which enters you into a plot that, while it calms and slows at times, is unrelenting in its pull downwards into despair and hopelessness. Death gets consistently closer throughout the book. Any times of respite just make the drag back into chaos even more defeating.

I loved the way the story unfolded and that I was desperately trying to find the killer as if I was being pursued too.

There were many times when I thought I 'got' the book and the plot but
Frank Smith
Feb 05, 2015 Frank Smith rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio book version, loved it and will definitely look out for more from Russell Andrews.
Enjoyed the settings, enjoyed the way the story telling shifted between the viewpoints of different characters, few sound effects [not as much as Graphic Audio, but for small touches like when a voice is heard over a phone, etc] and generally enjoyed the story, only complaints was I thought there was probably a few too many murders that made it a bit too bloody [I mean there is the murder of
Amy
Nov 29, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Russell Andrews, a really good thriller with plenty of twists and turns. I will read more for sure.
Valerie
Nov 10, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of the thrillers by these two authors, David Handler and Peter Gethers;Russell Andrews being a nom de plume of course. I have to say that I thought every single on of them was excellent. I hope that these guys choose to choose to join forces again and write more books like this. Mr. Handler has several mysteries penned under his own name available, and I will no doubt get around to reading some of them. But for surprise twists, and keeping the reader on the edge of his or her sea ...more
Haje
Nov 24, 2011 Haje rated it really liked it
Icarus is a novel written by Russell Andrews (of Gideon fame). It was published in 2001, by Time Warner Books, Doubleday, and Little, Brown and Company publishing houses.

The story (no spoilers beyond what can be read on the book’s sleeve)

The story is basically the story of Jack Keller. At a very young age, he sees his mother getting killed and thrown out of a window of a high-rise building. Apart from leaving him scarred for life and with a violent fear of hights, it is the beginning of a very c
Penny
May 12, 2014 Penny rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I was a bit surprised with this book. At first I was intrigued by the title, you kinda get trigger for the plot in your head without reading.. It started out OK introducing us to Jack Keller, a 10 year old boy, whose painful future was just starting. It descriptively tells you about his teenage and adult years. All the troubles he goes through in life, one block after the other..

I noticed a lot of death and murder in the book that kept you both in suspense, but also saying "again?!".. but truly
Jenn
Oct 28, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an appropriate title for this book. This book opens up quick and draws you in which is what I am beginning to love about this author (authors).

I really enjoyed the main character Jack Keller. Talk about a man who has to go through an awful lot in life. His wife Caroline was also extremely likable. Their love seemed genuine. It was almost a storybook relationship.

There was an awful lot of bloodshed in the book but it's a murder mystery thriller book.

I loved how everything tied all together
Tsvetelina Stambolova-Vasileva
Разочарова ме, книгата е с доста добър рейтинг и очаквах много повече. Психо-монолозите на заподозрените са дразнещи, героите плоски и още в средата започнах да подозирам кой е убиецът. Въпреки това, книгата имаше потенциал, повествованието беше много добро, но не достатъчно стегнато, за да държи в напрежение от началото до края.
Lisa H.
May 08, 2013 Lisa H. rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Meh. I found this in a stack of to-read books and assumed it was one I hadn't gotten around to, but about 5 pages in I realized I'd read it before. Still, it was what I had in my hand so I read it again. The cover blurb is so vague it was impossible to tell what it was about. And I guess that's reasonable, since the book itself is apparently terribly torn as to what it wants to be - takes place over three different periods, in which beautiful/lucky people have amazing success, awful things happe ...more
Accalia
Jul 05, 2015 Accalia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved it. I got hooked straight away and maybe I should've spotted the killer earlier but I didn't and that makes it even better. That 'oepfh' of surprise followed by an 'I should have known!'
Marchel Pangilinan
Nov 14, 2014 Marchel Pangilinan rated it it was amazing
I love it! The best Russell Andrews' book I've read so far! It takes thriller to a whole level. Really and truly exciting and you wouldn't expect who dunnit.
Catherine
May 25, 2009 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
I 'won' this book in my first ever bookswap and straight thriller is not a genre I read often. This one I would perhaps re-read for the plot, if I had nothing else on hand, because it took a while to figure out whodunnit (and then, of course, one has to read on to check if one is right). however I cannot say I thought it was good overall because there were an awful lot more dead bodies than I like to cope with and none of the characters became real enough for me to worry about them: both their s ...more
Jay McElroy
Jan 21, 2016 Jay McElroy rated it really liked it
Very, very good. Completely blind sided. Did not see it coming.
Dave
Feb 05, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
Would be five but I figured out who the killer was pretty quickly
Matthew
I really couldn't get into this.
Graham Botha
Jun 22, 2011 Graham Botha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: thriller/mystery readers
Jack, the main character, miraculously survives beatings, stabbings, and shootings to the point where he seems not to be human. Some of the gory violence is so bad that it borders on being unlikely and unbelievable. In spite of this the reader is driven to read on to the end from a need to know "who dunnit" There are many possible suspects that the reader thinks are the culprit, but the ending is, after all, a surprise. Not great writing or literary genius, but entertaining and in some parts gri ...more
DLS
May 08, 2014 DLS rated it it was amazing
I cannot rave enough about this book.

It begins with a death which leaves the character psychologically scared of heights. We then follow Jack into his adult years, were yet two more tragic deaths occurs.

Andrews introduces us to Kit's "baseball team" of women; where you try and work out their motives and the likelihood of each of them committing the murder. As a self confessed crime fan, it pains me to say I couldn't work it out. (I'm still kicking myself!)
Steph
Jul 29, 2011 Steph rated it liked it
This would have been a 4-star review, had the book not included so many f-bombs. The story is intriguing, the main character likeable, and although I saw one twist coming, I only half-saw the big one at the end. The book has so much swearing, though, and an uncomfortable amount of sex, not terribly graphic, but rather... frequently talked about, that I wouldn't read it again, nor would I recommend it. I will also try to avoid this author because of that.
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it really liked it
Really good with lots of twists and turns.
Susan
Jan 07, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
It is only March but I can tell you this is one of my top ten reads for 2004. This story sucks you in from the first word and keeps you in its grips until the last one. Jack Keller over comes a fairly big tragedy in his youth to achieve tremendous personal and financial success to only then start losing it bit by bit. Any more would tell too much. Just find a copy and read it.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Mar 31, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers
A good solid thriller, one for that long flight across the globe. Well written, interesting characters but I did find the plot stretched my suspension of disbelief. I'm not an American! Also I did find this rather long and I like reading.

But for anyone who enjoys a good thriller and likes American writing this novel would give them several days' contented reading.
Ying
Feb 25, 2012 Ying rated it really liked it
I was looking for a crime novel, something in the style of Agatha Christie or Mary Higgins Clark. That's not quite what I got.

It was good in some ways, I wasn't expecting the twists, but nonetheless, this book was too slow for my liking. Too much fluff around the mystery (not that the fluff was bad - it just wasn't what I was after).
Tara
Feb 04, 2011 Tara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book before and I didn't remember how it ended. So that should tell you something.
I felt like the author hadn't really thought up a good ending to the books. He kept introducing people and situations to fix gaps in the plot. That said I didn't see the twist coming; and I read till the very last page.
Laurie
May 15, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it
This was a real whodunit and it isn't until the end that you know who the real killer is. It starts when Jack was a boy and he witnessed his mother being thrown out a window, thus began his fear of heights. It's a good story but it did seem a bit long at times too.
Elisa Kay
Sep 20, 2013 Elisa Kay rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

I loved this book. It was action packed and full of mystery.

I had an inkling about three quarters of the way through about who done it, but was not sure until right up to the end.

Highly recommend.
Kristen
May 24, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Not as good as his book, Gideon. I lost track at one point as Andrews kept switching characters. A little long winded as well. The best bit was within the last few pages. It also took me two attempts to complete this book.
Ben Farnell
A good read. The story pushes the limits of credibility in places and the twist at the end was so well concealed that it seemed a bit unlikely when it was revealed. But if your willing to go with the flow it is enjoyable.
Enkhbayar Dambadarjaa
Feb 10, 2015 Enkhbayar Dambadarjaa rated it it was ok
It just happened to be the only book in English I could find back in high-school. I liked the story and everything back then. Come to think of it, the story was quite predictable and cliche.
Pauline
Jun 27, 2009 Pauline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by this author that I have read and I still can't say what but something is just not gripping me like it should with these books.An ok read that really should be very good.
  • Blind Spot
  • Hostage To Murder (Lindsay Gordon, #6)
  • Intent To Kill
  • Covenant (Ethan Warner #1)
  • The Unseen
  • Day of Wrath
  • Still Missing
  • Eye Of The Beholder
  • Trance State
  • A Rush to Violence
  • The Midnight Man (Amos Walker, #3)
  • Blackmoor
  • Star Witness
  • Twisted Web (Nolan Kilkenny, #3)
  • Hard Target (Extreme #1)
  • Body of Truth (Stuart Haydon, #5)
  • Circumference of Darkness
  • The Divine Worshipper (Vengeance of the Gods, #2)