Start by marking “My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking
Preview

My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The Persians of antiquity were renowned for their lavish cuisine and their never-ceasing fascination with the exotic. These traits still find expression in the cooking of India's rapidly dwindling Parsi population—descendants of Zoroastrians who fled Persia after the Sassanian empire fell to the invading Arabs. The first book published in the United States on Parsi food wr ...more
Published June 18th 2007 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about My Bombay Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Bombay Kitchen

Ambica Rajagopal
unbelievable book on parsi cooking..written by this elderly totally parsi lady called niloufer ichaporia king who is an anthorpologist and foodie, who knew that chez panisse celebrates jamshedji navroz everyear based on menus by the author?
Robert Beveridge
Niloufer Ichiaporia King, My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Cooking (University of California Press, 2007)

I was looking for an Indian cookbook. I am often looking for an Indian cookbook; if I only had to survive on one kind of food for the rest of my life, Indian would be my first choice (though Cambodian might give it a run for its money). Besides, if you want to bulk up the book count in a given year, there are few better ways to do that than cookbooks. In that regard, My Bombay
Alisa
May 26, 2010 Alisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Not for newcomers to the cuisine of India
Shelves: nonfiction
4 stars only because I do like my cookbooks to have glossy photos, and this has none. Still, lots of stories in the introductions to the recipes, lots of food anthropology (I like), and the one recipe I tried, "Mother's Wobbly Cauliflower Custard," (++ points for awesome name) was unique, tasty, and the reality matched the expectations I had after reading the recipe. I've marked down several more as must-tries. That's what I ask of a cookbook.

Nichole
Haven't cooked out of yet, but very much looking forward to it. I read it to cover to cover like I did Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The recipes look yummy & I love the history in it.
Therese
Wonderful book: fantastic recipes, delightful writing about Parsi history and foodways, and about the author's own family.
nicole
Sep 18, 2007 nicole marked it as started-to-read-but-didn-t-finish
paneer recipes! ran out of time to actually cook (had to return), but definitely one to check out again.
Partha
Partha is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2015
Chandra
Chandra marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Keely Linton
Keely Linton marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Holly Brown
Holly Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Alaka
Alaka is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Tom Fosgard
Tom Fosgard is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014