Start by marking “My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking

My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking

The Persians of antiquity were renowned for their lavish cuisine and their never-ceasing fascination with the exotic. These traits still find expression in the cooking of India's rapidly dwindling Parsi population—descendants of Zoroastrians who fled Persia after the Sassanian empire fell to the invading Arabs. The first book published in the United States on Parsi food wr ...more
Published June 18th 2007 by University of California Press

Ambica Rajagopal
Sep 25, 2007 Ambica Rajagopal rated it it was amazing
unbelievable book on parsi cooking..written by this elderly totally parsi lady called niloufer ichaporia king who is an anthorpologist and foodie, who knew that chez panisse celebrates jamshedji navroz everyear based on menus by the author?
Robert Beveridge
Niloufer Ichiaporia King, My Bombay Kitchen: Traditional and Modern Parsi Cooking (University of California Press, 2007)

I was looking for an Indian cookbook. I am often looking for an Indian cookbook; if I only had to survive on one kind of food for the rest of my life, Indian would be my first choice (though Cambodian might give it a run for its money). Besides, if you want to bulk up the book count in a given year, there are few better ways to do that than cookbooks. In that regard, My Bombay
Alisa
May 26, 2010 Alisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Not for newcomers to the cuisine of India
Shelves: nonfiction
4 stars only because I do like my cookbooks to have glossy photos, and this has none. Still, lots of stories in the introductions to the recipes, lots of food anthropology (I like), and the one recipe I tried, "Mother's Wobbly Cauliflower Custard," (++ points for awesome name) was unique, tasty, and the reality matched the expectations I had after reading the recipe. I've marked down several more as must-tries. That's what I ask of a cookbook.

Nichole
Jan 06, 2013 Nichole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Haven't cooked out of yet, but very much looking forward to it. I read it to cover to cover like I did Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The recipes look yummy & I love the history in it.
Therese
Aug 09, 2007 Therese rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book: fantastic recipes, delightful writing about Parsi history and foodways, and about the author's own family.
nicole
Sep 18, 2007 nicole marked it as started-to-read-but-didn-t-finish
paneer recipes! ran out of time to actually cook (had to return), but definitely one to check out again.
Jul 30, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Inspiring
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Cindy Dyson Eitelman marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Chris Junker
Chris Junker rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Elizabeth George
Elizabeth George marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Liz Winn
Liz Winn rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Jennifer Levine
Jennifer Levine rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Infra
Infra added it
May 22, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Mitch J
Mitch J marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Elspeth
Elspeth marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Jaya
Jaya marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Heidi
Heidi added it
Jan 27, 2016
André Darlington
André Darlington rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Shannon Cook
Shannon Cook marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Dec 27, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015