Start by marking “The Road to Mumbai” as Want to Read:
The Road to Mumbai

The Road to Mumbai

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Along the road to Mumbai, Shoba and her monkey, Fuzzy Patel, make many new friends—mysterious monks, a curious camel, and a snake with a sensitive stomach, just to name a few. Shoba and Fuzzy are on their way to a top-secret monkey wedding. But you shouldn’t expect an invitation. According to Fuzzy, it will be the most boring wedding in the history of the universe. But mag ...more
Published August 30th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Mumbai, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road to Mumbai

Renee
The Road to Mumbai is about a young girl named Shoba and her pet monkey, Fuzzy Patel. As they make their way around India they meet monks, a snake tamer and his snake Asha, and some elephants. They experience travel in India with the destination of a Mumbai monkey wedding. This is a work of fiction. A Literacy teacher could use the fun and bright illustrations to help students make connections between text-to-world. Students could write about their understanding and questions about diverse cultu ...more
Becky
Shoba and her monkey, Fuzzy Patel, travel across India in order to attend a lavish, well-attended monkey wedding. Along the way, they meet several different people and encounter many "everyday Indian things" like coconut juice, saris, and traditional sweets. The illustrations were by far the best part of this book. Colorful and imaginative and whimsical. Too bad the narrative felt clunky and forced by comparison.
Pretend City Children's Museum
As we explore the many stories of the world, we journeyed to India in the colorful adventure!

What a great way to introduce your little one to a new culture and to new animals! This book was colorful, funny and taught us all kinds of things about the Indian culture; from animals, languages, and areas in India. And once everyone made it to the wedding, even though it was said to be boring, it was a blast with all of the new friends that came to celebrate this happy occasion!
Jenny
My two year old enjoyed the animals in this book. I like that it included a map at the end of Fuzzy and Shoba's journey as well as a glossary of Indian words. A fun story to introduce kids to India. I had to laugh at Fuzzy's antics...trying to portray the monkey wedding as boring and with bad food because he doesn't want those they meet along the way to come to the wedding. Thank goodness they don't listen to him, because the more the merrier at this monkey wedding! :)
Natalie Schmitt
Shoba and her monkey, Fuzzy go on an adventure to Mumbai for a wedding. On their way, they meet a lot of interesting friends. Does Shoba and Fuzzy make it to the wedding on time? This book could be used in a lesson to teach fact verses fiction. Also this book could be used to dicuss animals and their living conditions.
Samantha
Along the road to Mumbai and little girl Shoba and her monkey Fuzzy travel to a top-secret monkey wedding. As they encounter trouble along the way some magical things happen to help save the day. This book explores the beauty and mysticism of India land and culture.
Nanee Zogaa
Story of a little girl and her pet monkey who take an imaginary trip to India to attend a monkeys' wedding. An adventure story. Recommended for students in grades pre-k to first.
Kelly
I thought the colors used in the illustrations really set the tone for the book. I also like how Fuzzy excluded people very specifically and he wasn't repetitive.
Leona
An American-Indian girl and her monkey take an imaginary trip to India. The book includes a glossary of Indian words and a map of India.
Rachel
We didn't find the story engaging, but did enjoy the bright color combinations in the illustrations.
(Presch-Grade 3)
Very cute and creative with FUN illustrations.
Natalie
If I had a pretend monkey, I would name it Fuzzy Patel too.

Crystal
Cute book that shows some Indian culture.
Tracy
Uses: young geographers
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Nina
Nina added it
Mar 01, 2015
Gabby
Gabby added it
Dec 21, 2014
Cecily
Cecily marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Keely Johansson
Keely Johansson marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Anya
Anya added it
Aug 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Spectacular Adventures of Sophie and Sebastian Spectacular Adventures of Sophie and Sebastian The Road to Mumbai The Happiest Tree: A Yoga Story El Arbol Mas Feliz: Un Cuento Sobre Yoga