Start by marking “I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits” as Want to Read:
I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits

I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  648 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
When Morris meets Betty, love is unavoidable. In short prose passages, we follow the course of their passionate first love. A confident debut written in a surprising form, which gives the story intelligence and depth.
Morris feels like Betty can see everything he's thinking. Betty believes Morris understands her like no one ever before. She tells him everything, even about
Published November 1st 2008 by Front Street (first published January 1st 2006)

FourteenRedRoses This book is extremely expensive, and apparently they sell it on AbeBooks (which you can find if you click the link after searching for it on Book…moreThis book is extremely expensive, and apparently they sell it on AbeBooks (which you can find if you click the link after searching for it on Book Depository). There are two options, the most expensive being US$602.39, so I would recommend the second option as you save two cents. Hope this helped :-)(less)
Music From Standing Waves by Johanna CravenMoletown by Torben KuhlmannA Time of Miracles by Anne-Laure BondouxConfessions by Kanae MinatoGod and I Broke Up by Katarina Mazetti
International YA Books
37th out of 71 books — 3 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsLock and Key by Sarah DessenGraceling by Kristin CashoreCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
YA Novels of 2008
111th out of 224 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Sep 27, 2008 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: children-ya
what i learned from this book:

pg66
"It frightens me that I can't do anything sensible about it."
"Are you scared that you'll wind up with a boring job where you have to see the same people every day and drink instant coffee?"
"I'm more scared that I'll forget the feelings that I have now."
"Kind of like how you forgot how it feels to be three years old."
"That surely I'll wind up thinking: I was so young, I didn't really understand everything. It bothers me that I know I will be wrong."

pg112
"How do y
Jan 28, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A short little book written in an interesting style. At first it bothered me that this very intimate story is written in third person. By the end I didn't mind as much. It's a good story in some ways and it definitely captures the intensity of the beginning of a relationship and the pain and loneliness when that love fades.

Favorite quote: "How do you know when it's over?" "Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you."
Sue
Jun 14, 2009 Sue rated it did not like it
Short but not sweet. I had a difficult time figuring this one out and I only finished it because it was so short and I could get on to something more interesting.
Shelby Finger
Mar 20, 2013 Shelby Finger rated it liked it
Firstly, I think t's important to just state right off the bat that if you're expecting a nice, long, heart wrenching read, you're going to be sorely displeased. This "book" reads more like poetry, and can be finished in less then two hours with time to spare.

With that being said, I highly recommend it regardless, if you can find it somewhere online for less then $5.

"It feels like we're being pursued."
"What do you mean?"
"As if we have to go out all the time and go for walks, because if we're
Lisa
Nov 22, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Short verse chapters give glimpses into Morris and Betty's relationship as they fall into and out of love. Morris often spends the night at Betty's, joining her mother for breakfast. (We're in Sweden, not in Kansas anymore!) Morris worries about his father's bipolar disease and its effect on him. Betty's observation that Morris behaves like his father shifts his world. A brief insightful chapter (on p. 112) is titled "How do you know when it's over?" The chapter reads:"Maybe when you feel more i ...more
Anika
Mar 18, 2016 Anika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Naw.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Betty and Morris share a strange romance. They meet, have a one-night stand, and then fall in love.

Morris wants so badly for their relationship to work, but many things are working against them. Morris is embarrassed by his parents and does not want Betty to meet them. His father suffers from bi-polar disorder, while his mother talks incessantly about dreams and poetry. Morris begins to wonder if crazy people are drawn to one another, and what that might
Kat
Apr 03, 2013 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was short and wonderfully sweet, about the first love of Morris and Betty, of living life like it was a film, about being so in love that you feel like you are going to die, but then you don’t. Each chapter is like a scene, maximum of a little over a page.

The book is written with a lot of emotion, and even though it is short, leaves a lot of food for thought. Morris’ father is manic depressive, and Morris’ mother isn’t quite normal either. Where does this leave Morris?

Of course, this is
Ricki
Feb 26, 2009 Ricki rated it liked it
This is an extremely peculiar, unique book. The short prose poems are written of two teenagers who fall in love and wonder if they truly are different. They question the concept of lasting love. Some of the poems hit me with their beauty, while others left something to be desired, in my mind.
I think this book would be appreciated by teens who either feel different from their peers or self-select themselves as outcasts. My only criticisms of the book is the plot is a bit tricky to follow at point
Caitlin
Jul 29, 2013 Caitlin rated it liked it

pg112
"How do you know when it's over?"

I didn't love the narrative point of this book which is structured somewhere in between short prose poems and narrative, but a few of the sections describing young love and fiery thoughts were great.
Jewel
Nov 25, 2014 Jewel rated it really liked it
I throughly enjoyed this book because of the way it was written. I love poetry and I felt this was how Ardelius wrote this novel. Definitely one of the novels that I will keep in my heart.
5pesina N.
Sep 30, 2015 5pesina N. rated it really liked it
In the book I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits, Morris seems to be very loving but also sometimes over whelmed by the darkness in his mind. Morris in many ways is shown to be very loving, throughout the book he describes his love for Betty. He describes her smile as it’s the kind of smile that "makes him feel like something is melting inside”, he describes Betty in a very loving way, also he says " I felt so in love, like a melted snowball" this is important he is saying tha ...more
Lena Ragneskog
Feb 04, 2015 Lena Ragneskog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En liten kärlekshistoria skriven nästan som en lång dikt med glimtar av upplevelser. Vackert.
Kristina Aurore
Sep 23, 2009 Kristina Aurore rated it it was amazing
it's infinite
Amy
I first heard about this novel after seeing one of its quotes posted on Tumblr; without any citation. A couple of clicks on Google later, and I'd ordered it from the Book Depository. What really attracted me to this novel was its apparent similarity to David Levithan's The Lover's Dictionary which is one of my favourite novels-although released some time earlier.
Ardelius similarly tells the story of a couple through small snapshots into their lives. Morris and Betty are young, have a one-night
Lisa
Dec 21, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
This is a short book that I find to be somewhat disjointed. It is an incredibly rare book, but I stumbled across it in my library and read through it quickly. While I understand that it deals with love and mental illness, it seems that the characters are in strict denial of their knowledge about themselves. I'm glad I read it, but it isn't something I see myself reading again.
Jan 09, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tänk dig Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind med inslag av den mest intensiva kärleken du känt för någon och du får den här boken. Finns lite klyschor med men frågan är om de blev klyschor innan eller efter den här boken skrevs och jag tycker hur som helst inte att det stör särskilt mycket. Den får mig alltid att vilja gråta - på ett bra sätt.
Darren Zhang
Sep 12, 2015 Darren Zhang rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
The book was a thoroughly enjoying read, especially with its subtle inclusion of sexuality that many children's books in the Anglophone world often fail to explore directly. Being an exploration of first love, the ending naturally wasn't satisfying but nevertheless, a recommended read for a short bus trip.
Kaya Cheyenne
Jan 02, 2016 Kaya Cheyenne rated it it was amazing
This is hands down my favorite book. Mostly because I greatly enjoy prose fiction, and I appreciated the blend with narration. This book is an impeccable description of young love, and first loves. The author chose each word of this book with great forethought, and it was beautifully written.
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
simplely said and well spoken proving again less is more... Morris is terrified of becoming just like his father a bi-polar man and in this little book he tells us about his first intense love and how it ends.
Hweeps
May 22, 2011 Hweeps added it
I'm not rating this because I rushed through it and it wouldn't be fair. Though it's gotta be said that I found it hard to read through. Not hard because of the emotional turmoil caused by the characters-oh, no, but because it was just plain hard to read. I felt disinterested, disconnected, and I didn't understand much. I even skipped pages, and that's really something I rarely do. Maybe it's just my unreasonable lack of respect of such thin, glossy paged books, but I really couldn't feel intere ...more
Dolores
Mar 09, 2016 Dolores rated it really liked it
A very interesting look at an intense relationship. Written in free-verse the book is obscure and bittersweet by turns. A quick and satisfying read.
Whitney Rachel
Apr 23, 2015 Whitney Rachel rated it really liked it
Ahhhhhhh.

I think what I enjoyed most about this is that it's told from the third person AND that we get to see the "mundane" aspects of a relationship.

Beautiful prose. Super European. Into it.
Johanna Dannemann
En väldigt bra beskrivning av kärlek och förhållanden, och hur svårt det kan vara när känslorna ändras. Det är en intensiv och fin läsning med mer fokus på karaktärernas känslor och ageranden än deras personliga tankar och åsikter. Däremot är det inte så mycket mer än så. Men jag gillade den, just för att den är lite speciell.
Hoppas på att fortsättningen är något läsvärt.
Irahkola
Jan 14, 2016 Irahkola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
""Tänker på dig mycket, saknar dig mer", har han skrivit." Det var ungefär det enda bra i boken, resten var ren besvikelse.
Ina
Jan 04, 2012 Ina rated it liked it
A very interesting story which I couldn't help but love. At the same time, it takes a while to get used to the prose style of the book. It can seem a bit confusing sometimes. However, it is a beautiful story about love and how it can be all-consuming and at the same time the hard times of not knowing when it's time to put a great love behind you.

If only going on the message and storyline in the book it would get a 4, but due to the short prose style the author uses and how it's somewhat difficul
Kim B.
I'm gonna forego rating this one for the time being. It's got some very good moments and the writing is beautiful, but I'm trying to piece together whether or not the way it's written and the shortness of each vignette is detrimental to the book as a whole. It feels an awful lot slighter than it should be. Might just be my problem, of course...

I'm also going to add a note saying that this book is probably the most extraordinarily rare book that I've ever held in my hands. Seriously, go look how
Najma
Apr 14, 2015 Najma added it
The worst book ever. Don't read it.
Josephine
Apr 14, 2015 Josephine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!
Shelves: bc-school, 2015, bad
How about NO.
Skye C.
May 03, 2013 Skye C. rated it it was ok
I went into this book with high expectations because the synopsis seemed so inviting. Unfortunately, the synopsis turned out to be more interesting than the book. Perhaps it was because I was speed reading, but I couldn't identify between Morris and Betty's voices. I just believe that it has so much potential as a full-length novel, detailing the struggles of this all-consuming love.

With that said, this book wasn't bad, it was decent but not something I would re-read.
  • Heart's Delight
  • Det är så logiskt alla fattar utom du
  • I Miss You, I Miss You!
  • Det händer nu
  • Kapitulera omedelbart eller dö
  • Öppet hav (En ö i havet, #4)
  • I taket lyser stjärnorna
  • Who Will Tell My Brother?
  • Hey Dolly
  • Sjukdomen (Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, #2)
  • Tio lektioner i matlagning
  • Knappt lovlig
  • The Death of Jayson Porter
  • Splintering
  • Spill: En damroman
  • Sister Slam and the Poetic Motormouth Road Trip
  • God and I Broke Up
1903708
Gunnar Ardelius has worked as a waiter, mover, night porter, and taxi driver and has lived in Paris, Berlin, and Lysekil, Lund, and Malmö in Sweden. He has studied literature and printed media. I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits is his first novel. He lives in Stockholm.
More about Gunnar Ardelius...

“How do you know when it's over?"
"Maybe when you feel more in love with your memories than with the person standing in front of you.”
570 likes
“In the beginning, being alone is always a choice. Then it's not a choice anymore. When did it stop being a choice? What is it in me that stopped choosing you, that moved into you instead so that I have to be with you in order to be with myself?” 58 likes