Start by marking “The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)

The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events #5)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  89,268 Ratings  ·  1,884 Reviews
As their outrageous misfortune continues, the Baudelaire orphans are shipped off to a miserable boarding school, where they befriend the two Quagmire triplets and find that they have been followed by the dreaded Count Olaf.
Audio, 4 pages
Published October 23rd 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published August 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Austere Academy, please sign up.

Georgia Talbot
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Jason Koivu
Dec 16, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Oh, oh! This is the one where the orphans get thrown into a difficult situation and are overseen by a caretaker who just doesn't care, allowing the evil Count Olaf to get at them...like deja vu all over again.

In The Austere Academy the Baudelaire kids end up at a school, which should be good news, because they love the learning, but of course it's not good. It's never good.

I stopped reading the series for a good long while at this point. Although the quality of this one is slightly higher than t
Ashley
Apr 20, 2016 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
The adults in this series are just completely incompetent HOW EVEN ARE YOU THIS BAD AT THINGS?
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Mark Lawrence
Another decent read with Celyn. It seems that The Miserable Mill may have been the low-point of the series as this volume is an improvement. The formula is applied once more, but with a slight variation in that the Baudelaires find friends of their own age and this alliance faces Count Olaaf with predictably grim consequences.

What steps this up from the previous book is a return to the established level of surreal, i.e. marked but not extreme. In The Miserable Mill we had Sunny fighting a sword-
Richard Denney
Apr 04, 2016 Richard Denney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS!

A little better than The Miserable Mill but it did have some chunky boring bits that really could've been scrapped. I did like that there was this little mystery thrown in near the end of the book that intrigues the hell out of me and now Count Olaf has kidnapped the Quagmire triplets and will be using them for his insane fuckery filled operations I presume. Those two things I'm excited to see develop in book 6 which I will be starting soon. Carmelita Splats thooooooooooooooo! someone
Julie
I really do love Lemony Snicket. Reading this just brought up so many feelings from childhood. Real review to come eventually.
Kristin
Probably my favorite of the series so far.
Nicholas Karpuk
Much like The Miserable Mill, Austere Academy finds Lemony Snicket showing that he set up his formula for the series partly to screw with the reader by changing them up occasionally.

Whereas book four featured very little Count Olaf until the end, with the orphans anticipating his appearance through the bulk of the story, book five introduces him fairly early as a gym teacher. What really amused me is that by this point the orphans are actually learning something. Instead of blurting out, "there'
Titilope
Jun 26, 2011 Titilope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read A Series of Unfortunate Events in order; so this was the first book I read, and I liked it. I liked it a lot. In fact, I liked it so much so, I read all the other books, attempted to draw Count Olaf, watched the film and I get seriously defensive if anyone dares to insult the books.

These books are often branded as being for children. I'm not really sure I would brand it as just being for children. It will definitely appeal to children, but I think to fully understand the humour in
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 C.W. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
3.5. Better than the last! I liked the setting quite a bit and found many new characters to be quite infuriating. Lemony Snicket's writing is as funny and fun as ever.
Tanja
Jun 01, 2016 Tanja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, read-2016
Das ursprüngliche Zuhause dieser Rezension ist der WortWelten-Blog:

Zusammenfassung:

Nach ihrem unglückseligen Dasein als Arbeiter im Sägewerk Glück & Partner hat Mr. Poe nun also seine Drohung wahr gemacht und Sunny, Klaus und Violet in ein Internat gesteckt. Und nicht in irgendein Internat. Da sie keinen Vormund haben und der stellvertretende Direktor mehr als inkompetent ist, müssen die drei in einem Schuppen voller zwickender Krebse und tropfender Pilze auf
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 12, 2012 Georgina Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite word definition: The waning light of the sunset--the word "waning" here means "dim, and making everything look extra-creepy"--made the shadow of the coach's turban look like a huge, deep hole.
Kimberley doruyter
you would think a grown man would get tired of being bested by 3 children.
Wigs
Dec 25, 2015 Wigs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to mention that I liked this better than the others so far. With the addition of the Quagmires I felt like there was more at risk than before and I felt more emotionally invested.

BUT.

I have a qualm and that is this:

The whole plot of The Miserable Mill revolved around Klaus's glasses and we were told he can't do anything or see without them.

So how is it, that after he lends his glasses to Duncan Quagmire for the night, he is able to spend all night studying and memorizing facts in the no
Mayra Sigwalt
3.5!
Uma grande melhora desde o último!! Introdução de personagens muito legais e a se sensação de que a série vai se focar mais no que aconteceu com os pais deles e quem é o Count Olaf, do que mais uma vez eles tentarem viver com um guardião incompetente. Veremos!!
Alex
Jul 21, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Great ASOUE Re-Read of 2015.

I think this is the first truly fantastic book in ASOUE. There's the sense of deeper story threads afoot here, rather than this just being another "oh la la la, our guardian sucks" story. We get the Quagmires. I love the Quagmires. I love how we get the first moment in three books when the Baudelaires are truly happy, and that's because they have friends their own age. Duncan and Isadora are a little flat, sure, but they're also kind. These children are st
Lauren R.
This is one is excellent. I love the ending because VFD was finally brought up and the stories have direction, instead of just being a literal series of unfortunate events haha. While I generally enjoyed hearing the author narrate himself, the volume control for character's voices vs. the narration was so hard to deal with. TIM CURRY IS BACK NEXT!!! Anyways, definitely one of my favorites - or at least the start of quite a few in a row that are great.
Lis
Aug 21, 2014 Lis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
Definitivamente el mejor libro de la serie hasta ahora. El adulto idiota de esta historia es uno de los personajes más odiables que leí.

¿Está bien que shippee tan pero tan fuertemente a Violet y Klaus con los Quagmire? ¡No pude evitarlo!

Como ya dije, esto se pone cada vez más horrible para los pobres chicos cuanto más avanza la historia, pero sé que van a salir de todo esto y ser felices, yo lO SÉ.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

Total: 7

In Dept

Best Part:
(view spoiler)
Worst Part: That guys voice is breaking my ears!
Thoughts Had: shut up!!; cake sniffers!!!; oh nooo

Conclusion

Continuing the Series
Lesley
Mar 12, 2012 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own

The Austere Academy is a rather important book in the Series of Unfortunate Events. It introduces us to 3 important new players in our story. The First and unfortunately the most horrid, is Carmelita Spats. There is no getting around it. You will hate this character. She is obnoxious and rude and cruel. She is the opposite of everything the Baudelaire children are and stand for I almost can't imagine a most unlikeable child and I have to give Daniel Handler kudos for creating her.

The next two
Reggie
Apr 28, 2016 Reggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This brought back 100% of the charm I felt was lacking in the last book.
Julie
May 02, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julie by: Cassie
Shelves: childrens-lit
The Quagmires!!!

The kids learning to default to their own initiative and not rely on adults!!

Continued teamwork!!

THE QUAGMIRES

Also, the fact that it's starting to reveal little bits & pieces of the overarching plot is really exciting me, from hearing tiny little snippets of what happened to Beatrice and how it might tie in here (!), the first mention of the V.F.D., etc. ugh I just want to know all the secreeeeets.
Evangeline Anderson
Great books!

My 2nd grader loves this series! Wonderful, engaging plots with excellent vocabulary. We are reading them all! Highly recommended--try them,
Mikayla
Apr 08, 2016 Mikayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always a great installment
Mel
I am not sure how I feel about the fact that Lemony Snicket himself narrates the audiobooks.

I don't believe in lowering ratings on books because I've grown out of them, but the 5 stars for this series is not the same 5 stars I give for other books.
Izza
Jan 18, 2016 Izza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Cute book! I loved that a kid had written 'I haven't read the book yet, but I'm pretty sure Count Olaf will replace the gym teacher in disguise' in the library copy... I'm not saying if she was right or not, also, don't write in library books, kids!
April
Sep 12, 2013 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
The brightest story so far. This book restored my faith in SOUE. So much fun inspite the craziness, unrealistic unfortunate events the Baudelaires experienced. Lemony Snicket, hits and misses but this one was surely a hit!
Jude
Apr 13, 2015 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more bearable than the Miserable Mill - 3.7 stars :v
Teresa B
Oct 13, 2009 Teresa B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This "woe-filled" collection of thirteen books about the tribulations of three unusually talented orphans will keep adults entertained as well as children. When I first saw the series I thought, "That looks too depressing," but soon I discovered the hilarity in overabundant alliteration, contemptible villains, and idiotic bystanders.

As the series progresses and the mysteries deepen, the children's characters grow and develop in surprising ways as togehter they face obstacles and a growing numbe
Samuel
Nov 25, 2013 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book, "The Austere Academy" by Lemony Snicket. I liked this book, as I have been reading The Series of Unfortunate Events. This book was just another great writes Lemony Snicket has done, making this book exciting and suspenseful. Overall, this is a great book with a fantastic plot, like any other book that Snicket writes.

The Plot starts out where Klaus, Violet, and Sunny learn they will be living in the "Orphan Shack" at the Academy because they don't have a guardian to give them the
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Goodreads Discussion 2 14 Mar 24, 2015 01:41PM
The Neverlanders: The Austere Academy - Voxer Discussion 1 10 Feb 02, 2015 05:58AM
The Nooks of Books: The Austere Academy 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:16AM
The ASOUE Challenge: Books Alluded 1 6 Nov 08, 2014 07:38AM
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Sixth Grade Secrets
  • The Edge Chronicles 1: The  Curse of the Gloamglozer: First Book of Quint
  • Time Stops for No Mouse (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #1)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • The Stowaway Solution (On The Run, #4)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“Assumptions are dangerous things to make, and like all dangerous things to make -- bombs, for instance, or strawberry shortcake -- if you make even the tiniest mistake you can find yourself in terrible trouble. Making assumptions simply means believing things are a certain way with little or no evidence that shows you are correct, and you can see at once how this can lead to terrible trouble. For instance, one morning you might wake up and make the assumption that your bed was in the same place that it always was, even though you would have no real evidence that this was so. But when you got out of your bed, you might discover that it had floated out to sea, and now you would be in terrible trouble all because of the incorrect assumption that you'd made. You can see that it is better not to make too many assumptions, particularly in the morning.” 968 likes
“There is no worse sound in the world than someone who cannot play the violin but insists on doing so anyway.” 559 likes