Start by marking “Name That Style: All about Isms in Art” as Want to Read:
Name That Style: All about Isms in Art

Name That Style: All about Isms in Art

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 'Name That Style', art lover Bob Razcka clearly explains the basics of 14 different art styles, spanning the 1430s to the 1970s. Each explanation is paired with a representative work of art, reproduced in a large size.
Published September 1st 2008 by Millbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about Name That Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Name That Style

Name That Style All About Isms In Art is a very informative book about different styles in art. I learned about how a piece of art in the style of realism and a piece of art in the style of surrealism are very different because surrealism is a dreamlike subject matter. And realism is usually ordinary people and everyday activities. These are two examples of the many more types of styles this book taught me about. In the book there were pictures for every style. One example is when explaining imp ...more
Art is central to who I am and has been since I was a child, but I still get mixed up about style names in art, what Raczka calls -isms. This book uses clear, concise text and text features to make understanding fourteen different art styles painless.

Each of the fourteen different terms is explained in a double-page format: one side is a full-page example of the style and the facing page defines the term, gives examples of artists who created using this style, gives characteristics of the style
A fantastic book to share with children! Bob Raczka does a perfect job introducing fourteen different styles of art from Naturalism to Photorealism. Each style has a full color page that is a good example of that type of art and adjacent page describes: when and where that kind of art was popular, famous artists of the style and important characteristics to that art.
My daughter and I read a page each day and enjoyed going back and comparing the various styles. This would be a perfect book to ta
Raczka does a wonderful job of making art interesting for a younger audience. The layout of the book is beautifully composed, featuring a classic work of art on one side of the spread and information about the style of the work on the other. Each page contains descriptions of the style, a list of artists who implemented that style, and definitions of potentially unfamiliar "art" words. (I personally really enjoyed this book because I took Intro to Art this summer, and I was surprised by how much ...more
Fourteen different art styles--isms--are explained in this book. Each ism has a pic of a representative painting and a concise page of info which includes time period and location; famous artists of the ism; and most important to me a very but inclusive list of the major characterics of the ism. It is a great intro to the isms and art appreciation. Good for children as well as adults.
Benjamin N.
I thought that Name That Style:All about Isms by Bob Raczka was great book if you are into art. The author went into great detail about each of the different styles of art from realism to surrealism.This is a very good, very informative book that is great if you want to learn about art or get ideas about what to draw or pain yourself. This is truly a very artistic book.
Gwen the Librarian
Here is an excellent introduction to the various styles of in art, mostly in painting. It's perfect for children who often visit the museum, or those interested in art. Honestly, this is a perfect refresher for adults as well. Each style is highlighted with a characteristic painting and then definitions, terms, and artists are defined.
Presents various art styles in a clear, concise manner. Each style (14 in all) is given two pages, one featuring a famous painting in that style, the facing page contains a brief summary, time line, list of famous artists, description of the featured work and vocabulary words. All in all, not terribly exciting, but very well done.
We skimmed this from a younger elementary perspective but the ideal audience is older elementary...the title would be helpful for reports. Only criticism is that just one visual example of a work of art is provided for each "ism".
Sq.Hill Library
This has a really nice format. Each 2 page spread is dedicated to
one style of art, showing an example, famous artists, characteristics of the style.
Very informative, at-a-glance look at different art forms. This book is a children's book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Quite interesting, if brief, overview of 14 artistic styles of painting .
Needs more pictures!!
Neat to learn about art
A really good resource!
Janice marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Hmorgan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Nicole is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2015
Megan added it
Aug 21, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Stefan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
**lr** marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Evelyn Granahan
Evelyn Granahan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015