Start by marking “Fun with Roman Numerals” as Want to Read:
Fun with Roman Numerals

Fun with Roman Numerals

An accessible text and colorful illustrations add up to fun in this vibrant guide by the celebrated author and illustrator of "Working with Fractions" and "You Can, Toucan, Math." Page IV, Super Bowl XLV. Built in MMVIII. Roman numerals are everywhere---on clocks, in books, and on buildings. But what do Roman numerals mean, and how does one use them? Fun with Roman Numeral ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Fun with Roman Numerals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun with Roman Numerals

Becky B
A picture book introduction to interpreting and writing Roman numerals. The book has activity suggestions using US coins to help kids further their understanding.

This is a decent introduction to Roman numerals. I thought the way they introduced some of the concepts was a little backwards (like showing IX and IV before telling how the subtraction aspect worked), but overall it worked to do a thorough job of explaining how Roman numerals work and provided practice for interpreting Roman numerals.
Jen
Aug 20, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Saw this one reviewed in Mater et Magistra. We are really enjoying it. It's not a book that could be taken in in one sitting.

We started by reading the first part of the book and memorizing the symbols for the different numbers. This was comletely review for Sarah, but Mark enjoyed it.

The second half of the book uses coins and sticky labels to help the kids learn the values and rules for calculating Roman numerals.

The game helped establish some numerical patterns with Roman numerals and make it
Christina Edwards
Jul 20, 2012 Christina Edwards rated it really liked it
I think this book would be great way to introduce students to the concept of roman numerals. The concept of using roman numerals is not one that students pick up on in everyday life so I think that this book does a good job of illustrating how roman numerals are all around us. I think students will benefit from reading this book because it uses real world examples to show how roman numerals are used.
Latifah Williams
Feb 25, 2013 Latifah Williams rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a 4th or 5th grade class when discussing roman numerals. It does a great job of breaking down every single element of a roman numeral. This book also talks about common uses of roman numersals. Roman numerals can be tricky so this is a great book for your shelf when discussing these concepts.
Kimberly Martin
Jul 08, 2012 Kimberly Martin rated it it was ok
Shelves: math-bookshelf
Fun with Roman Numerals offers an introduction to students about how to read roman numerals. Once the students recognize them in the book they start to identify them all over town. I like this book because I could see how this concept might pose a challenge to some students. I like how the book incorporated eal world application.
Molly
Apr 06, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
Lots of fun! Simple, bold text introduces M,C,D,L,X,V,I and the way to properly use them to convey numbers. The illustrations are backdrops, but fun (gladiators and lions, etc.) This book would work well for kids, but also is a fun read for adults interested in the subject- especially those who are often stumped by the 'Nero's 250' type crossword clues.
Joy
Apr 27, 2012 Joy rated it really liked it
This is a surprisingly fun and accessible introduction to Roman numerals. The bright, colorful art and creative explanations make this book a stand out. My second grader was fascinated learning about all the places Roman numerals are still used. We both loved the coin comparison and activity. A terrific way to share math with your child.
Amy
B would like to beg to differ about the "Fun" part -- but kids with a few more logic-y/puzzle-y/math-y genes in them will no doubt like it. I found it to be a simple and clear explanation - quite helpful. I thought using coins to help build the numerals was a great activity but B didn't get it... We'll check it out again in a few years.

I'm thankful for arabic numerals!!
Alesha Harris
Nov 15, 2012 Alesha Harris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books
This is a great book to use to in Mathematics. I would use this book to help children better understand the concept of Roman Numerals. This book show great examples because it show real world examples.
Karen
Nov 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Fun way to introduce kids to Roman Numerals. Ellie also did her school presentation on them after reading this book and tied it into the birth of our Lord, Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem to be counted by the Romans for the census..krb 11/25/16
Krista
Apr 15, 2016 Krista rated it really liked it
This book is helping me teach my children roman numerals and so far it is working. Fun and simple way to learn!!!! I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants their children to understand and learn roman numerals.
Liz
Mar 18, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Roman numerals are everywhere... reading, writing and understanding Roman numerals.... it would have been interesting to have some of the historical information about the numbers included..
Aissata K.
this was wonderful book
Dianna
Feb 12, 2013 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Fun with Roman Numerals by David Adler. Read with the kids for school, finished 2-12-13. Great book, learned a lot more about Roman numerals reading this book than I ever did in school myself.
Whole And
Sep 13, 2016 Whole And rated it it was amazing
Brilliant resource for learning the symbols and how to use Roman Numerals. Clear and easy to follow, we both learned a lot!
Emilee M.
Aug 11, 2009 Emilee M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340, picture
I thought i knew all about roman numerals but found out that i only knew up to 49. It was great to learn the rest of them. There is also a fun activity at the end.
Amber
Oct 14, 2010 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: school, sy10-11
This was a fun little book. It is packed with information but the kids still digested it. We loved the activity of using coins to represent the roman numerals!
Celebrilomiel
Celebrilomiel rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
George
Jul 14, 2014 George rated it it was amazing
I learned something new!
Barbie Birnbaum
Barbie Birnbaum rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2011
LP
LP rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Nativida
Nativida rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Hope Gunther
Hope Gunther rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Panda Incognito
Panda Incognito rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Chris
Aug 30, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
Fun book that's a great introduction to roman numerals. Nice big colorful pictures. Easy to follow.
Neem
Neem rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...