Start by marking “Fun With Roman Numerals” as Want to Read:
Fun With Roman Numerals

Fun With Roman Numerals

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Page IV. Super Bowl XLV. Roman numerals are everywhere: On clocks, in books, and on buildings. But what do Roman numerals mean? How do you use them? Fun with Roman Numerals is a straightforward and appealing introduction to a timely topic. On a scale of I to X, it s an XI! An accessible text and colorful illustrations add up to fun in this vibrant guide by the celebrated a ...more
School, 32 pages
Published September 15th 2008 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Fun With Roman Numerals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fun With Roman Numerals

Zero by Kathryn OtoshiOne Grain Of Rice by DemiThe Greedy Triangle by Marilyn BurnsZero the Hero by Joan HolubMath Curse by Jon Scieszka
Picture books about numbers and math
27th out of 118 books — 43 voters
Strega Nona by Tomie dePaolaBreakaway by Bryan  MurphyThe Thief Lord by Cornelia FunkeLinehan's Trip by Bryan  MurphyMurder By Suicide by Bryan  Murphy
Italy Italy
73rd out of 168 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky B
A picture book introduction to interpreting and writing Roman numerals. The book has activity suggestions using US coins to help kids further their understanding.

This is a decent introduction to Roman numerals. I thought the way they introduced some of the concepts was a little backwards (like showing IX and IV before telling how the subtraction aspect worked), but overall it worked to do a thorough job of explaining how Roman numerals work and provided practice for interpreting Roman numerals.
Jen
Saw this one reviewed in Mater et Magistra. We are really enjoying it. It's not a book that could be taken in in one sitting.

We started by reading the first part of the book and memorizing the symbols for the different numbers. This was comletely review for Sarah, but Mark enjoyed it.

The second half of the book uses coins and sticky labels to help the kids learn the values and rules for calculating Roman numerals.

The game helped establish some numerical patterns with Roman numerals and make it
Monica
I learned something new!
Christina Edwards
I think this book would be great way to introduce students to the concept of roman numerals. The concept of using roman numerals is not one that students pick up on in everyday life so I think that this book does a good job of illustrating how roman numerals are all around us. I think students will benefit from reading this book because it uses real world examples to show how roman numerals are used.
Amy
B would like to beg to differ about the "Fun" part -- but kids with a few more logic-y/puzzle-y/math-y genes in them will no doubt like it. I found it to be a simple and clear explanation - quite helpful. I thought using coins to help build the numerals was a great activity but B didn't get it... We'll check it out again in a few years.

I'm thankful for arabic numerals!!
Molly
Lots of fun! Simple, bold text introduces M,C,D,L,X,V,I and the way to properly use them to convey numbers. The illustrations are backdrops, but fun (gladiators and lions, etc.) This book would work well for kids, but also is a fun read for adults interested in the subject- especially those who are often stumped by the 'Nero's 250' type crossword clues.
Joy
This is a surprisingly fun and accessible introduction to Roman numerals. The bright, colorful art and creative explanations make this book a stand out. My second grader was fascinated learning about all the places Roman numerals are still used. We both loved the coin comparison and activity. A terrific way to share math with your child.
Kimberly Martin
Fun with Roman Numerals offers an introduction to students about how to read roman numerals. Once the students recognize them in the book they start to identify them all over town. I like this book because I could see how this concept might pose a challenge to some students. I like how the book incorporated eal world application.
Latifah Williams
This book is perfect for a 4th or 5th grade class when discussing roman numerals. It does a great job of breaking down every single element of a roman numeral. This book also talks about common uses of roman numersals. Roman numerals can be tricky so this is a great book for your shelf when discussing these concepts.
Alesha Harris
This is a great book to use to in Mathematics. I would use this book to help children better understand the concept of Roman Numerals. This book show great examples because it show real world examples.
Dianna
Fun with Roman Numerals by David Adler. Read with the kids for school, finished 2-12-13. Great book, learned a lot more about Roman numerals reading this book than I ever did in school myself.
Liz
Roman numerals are everywhere... reading, writing and understanding Roman numerals.... it would have been interesting to have some of the historical information about the numbers included..
Amber
This was a fun little book. It is packed with information but the kids still digested it. We loved the activity of using coins to represent the roman numerals!
Emilee M.
I thought i knew all about roman numerals but found out that i only knew up to 49. It was great to learn the rest of them. There is also a fun activity at the end.
Chris
Fun book that's a great introduction to roman numerals. Nice big colorful pictures. Easy to follow.
Susannah Goldstein
Great. Bright colors, clear information, cheerful illustrations, and useful exercises.
Aissata K.
this was wonderful book
Mirissa Foust
Mirissa Foust marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Amanda Middlebrooks
Amanda Middlebrooks marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Oct 01, 2014
Yelena
Yelena marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 30, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)