Start by marking “Chill of Fear (Fear trilogy #2 - BCU #8)” as Want to Read:
Chill of Fear (Fear trilogy #2 - BCU #8)

Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  4,561 ratings  ·  153 reviews
"New York Times" bestselling author Kay Hooper turns up the heat even as she chills readers to the bone with a new suspense novel that distills the essence of fear itself. In this relentless thriller, two psychics put more than their lives on the line to stop a killer darker and more evil than they could ever imagine. . . .
FBI agent Quentin Hayes always knew he had an unu
Hardcover, First Edition, 325 pages
Published July 26th 2005 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Chill of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chill of Fear

Karen Jones
This is the second in the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit Series by Kay Hooper. I really liked this one, but probably not as much as the first one.

This novel is based on another member of the SCU. You get to know Quentin who was introduced briefly in the first novel of the series, Hunting Fear.

The story line goes in a different direction from Hunting Fear. There's still the paranormal, but the crimes being investigated are weird. I don't want to divulge any more than that. It could spoil it for someo
Michael
This is a hybrid ghost story/murder mystery which does neither genre justice. Some books you can't wait to get to the ending to find out what happens. This book I couldn't wait to get to the ending so I could be done with it. The mystery wasn't deep enough, the horror wasn't creepy enough, and the characters just did not move me. King and Straub have nothing to worry about here.
Darcia Helle
I've been a fan of Kay Hooper's writing since I picked up her first book many years ago. Chill of Fear has a little less action than some of her others but, for me, it was just as good. The story centers around Diana, a woman coming to terms with her ability as a medium. There's mystery, an emerging romance and, of course, the paranormal world of ghosts and extrasensory abilities.

This is part of the ongoing Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series, though it is also broken down into the separate 'Fear
Sheila Melo
Tension, Romance and Psychic Murders

CHILL OF FEAR is one of the best of the Bishop/Special Crime Unit series. While I have complained about some of the previous entries because of the short shrift given to the romance in this series of paranormal romantic suspense books, this book is pretty darn good even though it ends with just the beginning of what might be termed the actual romance.

THE STORY: Special Agent Quentin Hayes has been obsessed with a murder that happened twenty-five years ago. H
Mary Buckham
Usually a Kay Hooper book, especially from the Bishop/Special Crimes Unit is a special treat, weaving strong suspense, fascinating facts about psychic abilities and a strong sense of a who-done it, with a strong romantic element. In this particular novel the focus was on FBI agent Quentin Hayes who is seeking answers to a chilling disappearance and murder that happened to a child hood friend. Good premise. Then enters Diana Brisco who has her own demons to exercise. The plot - who or what was re ...more
J
Chill of Fear is about an unsolved murder at The Lodge, a secluded Victorian -era resort in Tennessee that is known for keeping it's secrets. A controversial special FBI unit whose investigators use their psychic abilities and a guest who is hoping to resolve the mystery of her troubled past a drawn together by a force from another time in hopes of closing the door on secrets that need to be let free.

If you like the paranormal you'll probably enjoy this read! It had unexpected turns all the way
Kerry Stewart
The first book I've downloaded from my public library to Kindle....too cool
Kris
3 STARS

"BI agent Quentin Hayes always knew he had an unusual talent, even before he was recruited by Noah Bishop for the controversial Special Crimes Unit. But, as gifted as he is, for twenty years he's been haunted by a heartbreaking unsolved murder that took place at The Lodge, a secluded Victorian-era resort in Tennessee. Now he's returned one final time, determined to put the mystery to rest.

Diana Brisco has come there hoping to unlock the mystery of her troubled past. Instead, she is assai
Suzanne
Kay Hooper's Chill of Fear is about Quentin and Diana and their special binding to an old Hotel. Quentin is an FBI agent and part of the Special Crimes Unit (SCU) who is obscessed with a murder from his past. Diana is a woman looking for a cure for what she thinks is mental illness. The two are brought together at The Lodge by forces unknown to them in order to help solve a string of murders, as well as find answers to both of their pasts.

I enjoyed the book, it was light and a quick read. While
Toni
Dec 10, 2007 Toni rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Quentin Hayes always knew he was different, even as a child. Finally, after joining the FBI’s Special Crimes Unit he has a place where he feels he belongs. But, Quentin has another problem besides his psychic abilities. He experienced a horrible tragedy as a child, while staying at The Lodge. This hotel placed in the middle of nowhere Tennessee is quite known for its ability to hide secrets and indiscretions. Quentin has made it a lifelong obsession to solve the mystery of his childhood friend M ...more
Ana T.
Some of Kay Hooper's stories rely more on the paranormal aspect than others and I have to start by saying that I prefer it when we have a flesh and blood antagonist. But this is a story that it is heavy in the paranormal aspect.

Over a years, a number of crimes were commeited at The Lodge, a vacation resort. Quenting Hayes, one of Bishop's agent was involved in one succh cases when he was a child and and is very much commited to finding out the culprit. Diana Brisco, is a young woman who is atte
Rivalie
Okay, so once again my warning, do not read this before bedtime because it will give you nightmares with ghosts hanging from ceilings and little girls crying with blood dripping. Maybe that's a bit exaggerated, actually it fits the story. That's the level of horror we're talking about here.

At first, Diana seems like this very disillusioned person who doesn't really know what she wants. She gets plagued with these visions of a girl who keeps asking for her help. Then this guy aka Quentin Hayes ap
S.D.
Quentin Hayes and Noah Bishop are part of the FBI’s Special Crimes Unit. Members use there special “talents” to investigate the paranormal. Hayes keeps returning to an aging resort in Tennessee where a child died twenty-five years ago when he and his family were vacationing. Diana Brisco has been haunted by strange nightmares and visions most of her life so her doctor suggests she spend some time at this retreat drawing as a way to relax. Immediately things start happening. She draws a picture o ...more
Megha
This book is so slow, it just asks for a lot of patience. I was at page 200 but still waiting for something to happen. And then realized this is how it will go and it ends at the same pace. The protagonist Diana is too adamant to accept that she is a medium and half of the book is written on Quentin convincing her repeating the same argument again and again, I couldn't help but skip few pages...About paranormal/horror, not once I felt fear...
Nickole
Found this in a bargain bin at a flea market. Slightly tattered, well read, dog-eared... exactly what I'm looking for when I'm there because I want either something I'm familiar with but haven't read OR something unfamiliar that seems promising, this was the latter. Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. Nothing earth shattering and luckily I wasn't held up by not having read the 1st book. I love the idea of a protagonist who is incredibly powerful but also extremely broken and anything super natura ...more
Kristen

4 years ago

This is one of my favourite Hooper books! It is spooky, suspenseful, romantic and smart.

Quentin is a wonderful character, who's passion for finding and stopping evil will draw you in as he tries to find and stop whatever the "old evil" that is haunting a beautiful picturesque resort, and has now started killing people.

Enter Diana, resort guest who's trying to stop horrible nightmares and blackouts.

When she and Quentin join forces, the realization (unwillingly at first) that she is ps
Brent Soderstrum
This is book #8 of the Bishop/SCU FBI series. Just when I was getting a little tired of the series and thought I might need a break I read this one. This has been my favorite of the series so far. Maybe it is the creepy Inn out in the middle of nowhere Tennessee.

Diana is visiting the Lodge for an art class to help her deal with what she thinks is mental instability. Quintin is there because he is haunted by a murder of a friend from his childhood that took place at the Lodge 25 years ago. Both w
Kelly
Another in the Bishop FBI SCU series. This one gives a brief glimspe of the unit in the beginning and the thoroughness of Bishop's research into possible paranormals to add to the group. Bishop has his thumb in a lot of pies and, while he doesn't figure prominently in this story, he is instrumental in getting everyone into location.
Diana has been led to believe that she is insane, or close to it, but here we find that isn't really the case. This story has some unexpected twists and turns, but no
Sandie
Another page turner... I love mysteries and this really keeps you hopping.. First there was one I thought was doing this, then another and another.. All my suspects really blew me away and I still had to wait until the end.. They kept searching and searching and finally got the right one..
Karen Syed
I had no idea what order these books came in so I just took what was there and dove right in. I remember Kay Hooper from her Romance days, but this was so much better than any of those. Hooper has a great sense of timing in her writing and that makes it easy to keep on going.

I listened to the unbridged audio and found myself so intrigued by the story that I kept sitting in the car in parking lots because I didn't want to stop the flow.

The paranormal aspect of this is so good that it makes your s
Gigi
Well - I was duped again. Half way through the book, I thought that I actually had this one figured out because of my work experience. Wrong !!! Initially, I would say that those fans of the tv show Ghost Whisperer would really enjoy this particular book of Hooper's. The setting is wonderful (an old hotel. Kind of had sparks of The Shining). It is nice to start a story with a cop already open to the idea of paranormal abilities. And a previously introduced character, who is working a cold case. ...more
Lisa Currier
I usually really like the Bishop books, but this one seemed to drag. It finally picked up during the last third. I enjoy the characters of the Special unit. This was a quick easy read.
Cathy Cusson
Very chilling ghost story. I like the characters and the story pulls you and doesn't want to let go. I found Quentin more likeable than Luke from the first in this series.
Alexis M.  Zisko
I love Kay Hooper novels

,The Bishop series are great. I started reading them over 10 years ago. but I must have missed a few. I'm glad they are all here & I can read the ones I missed.
This one 'Chill of Fear' is a great read, grabs you right from the beginning and keeps you reading trying to figure it out. Read it all in one day
Glenn Harris
This is the first real "ghost story" in this series featuring the Special Crimes Unit, a team of psychic FBI agents. Not your usual serial killer this time around.
Skip
At a secluded private resort "The Lodge," there has been a long history of unexplained and under investigated deaths and disappearances over the course of many decades. The murder of 8-year old Missy haunts Quentin Hayes, a psychic and a member of the FBI's Special Crimes Unit, who was there as a 12-year old when it happened. A troubled Diana Brisco is now at the Lodge, trying a holistic solution to her behavioral problems: blackouts, weird dreams, and a wandering mind. Quentin works to convince ...more
Lois
Really liked this, it kept my attention through the whole story. Listened to it on audio. Will be looking for more in this series.
Sherry
Although Chill of Fear is part of Kay Hooper’s fantastic Noah Bishop/Special Crimes Unit series, I found that this story separated itself in that it jumped to the “ghost story” category; and a mighty fine jump it was!

I thought the mystery surrounding “The Lodge” intriguing and reached the level of where the reader is drawn deep into the mystery and not just needs to find out who and why but must find out!

With Kay Hoopers touches of paranormal, a solid base suspense and a deft touch towards ro
Susan
Very good. Hooked me from the beginning. Creepy, mysterious paranormal/ghost story with a nice romance.
Alex Rey
El final no me ha convencido mucho, pero bueno en general me ha gustado la historia.
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Deadly Night (Flynn Brothers, #1)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Shiver (New Orleans #3)
  • At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, #1)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)

“There was another pause as Quentin stared at him, and then he said quietly, "It didn't happen up there. What happened twenty years ago."

"I know."

"You know a hell of a lot, don't you." It wasn't really a question.

Bishop smiled. "You think I'd try to recruit a new team member without knowing everything I could about him first? There won't be many secrets in the SCU, Quentin, that goes without saying. We're a unit of psychics. And from the telepaths who can pick up thoughts to the empaths who can pick up pain, we're going to eventually know pretty much everything there is to know about each other.”
0 likes
“And as they shook hands, he almost told Bishop about the little voice in his head that was whispering, He'll find Miranda. But not yet. Not just yet.

Then he saw the flicker in Bishop's pale eyes, and realized that the telepath had read him and his little voice. But he hadn't needed a seer to tell him what he was utterly convinced of. He would find his Miranda. Sooner or later.

Quentin wondered if he would be so lucky with the end of his own troubled quest.”
0 likes