Start by marking “Butterfly Stories” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Stories

Butterfly Stories

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Butterfly Stories follows a dizzying cradle-to-grave hunt for love that takes the narrator from the comfortable confines of suburban America to the killing fields of Cambodia, where he falls in love with Vanna, a prostitute from Phnom Penh. Here, Vollmann's gritty style perfectly serves his examination of sex, violence, and corruption.
Published August 15th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Stories

Steal Like an Artist by Austin KleonThe Miracle Diet by Susan Ford CollinsOutliers by Malcolm GladwellSecrets of Jewish Wealth Revealed! by Celso CukierkornI Am That by Nisargadatta Maharaj
James Altucher's Summer Reading List
29th out of 78 books — 15 voters
Wings by Aprilynne PikeThe Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. PearsonThe Declaration by Gemma MalleyTithe by Holly BlackEmma by Jane Austen
Butterflies
170th out of 201 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian Klappenskoff
"One Must Do Abnormal Things"

The whole of Vollmann’s novel is conveyed by an omniscient narrator. It’s tempting to assume that it’s Vollmann himself. However, as usual that would probably be a mistake, even if we learn a lot about the author by what he writes in the guise of others.

The key protagonist is a male American, known variously as the butterfly boy, the journalist, the husband and Vanna’s husband.

These guises or masks represent different stages in the unnamed protagonist’s life. Vollman
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Moral fiction and Vollmann’s whores. By moral I want to mean the shape of a human being. DFW called it “what it’s like to be a fucking human being.” “Moral” is not a set of prescriptions and proscriptions, but the experience of having a world and being the kind of thing that has a definite way of being in that world; and being-with. Being-with is an empathy. Martha Nussbaum’s work is concerned with the way in which our moral being, our shaping ourselves into the kind of human beings we are, is w ...more
Jonathan
My first of WTV's "Whore" novels, and I was greatly impressed. What I find most interesting about his project remains the fluidity of fictionalised selves he places at the center of his works. The "main character" here, for instance, is clearly a form of WTV with certain attributes and characteristics extended or given greater or lesser emphasis. These changes in turn lead to a narrative which, while I am sure contains much which has its roots in the autobiographical, is altered, distorted, fict ...more
AC
This is a novel masquerading as a collection of short stories. Because of this approach, the novel consists of a series of vignettes or fragments. And that is, in part, the modern aspect of it. The prose is fairly conventional, though there are a few intersting stream-of-observation passages that are very effective.

The central, and by far the longest story -- "More Benadryl" -- is outstanding. It describes the experiences of the protagonist whoring in Thailand and in Cambodia just after the Khme
Nate D
Jul 26, 2010 Nate D rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nate D by: random half-remembered criticism
Shelves: read-in-2010
My roommate, who was a much better teen than I was, read this when she was seventeen and mainly determined what to read by how disturbing it sounded. She recalls this novel as "adequately disturbing". I didn't exactly find it disturbing, despite its greatest part being an account of sex tourism in Vietnam and Cambodia. Rather, I felt pulled along its trajectory from pathetic and sad to pathetic and vaguely cathartic. The protagonist, who despite being described in third person (and often with th ...more
Jeffrey Paris [was Infinite Tasks]
Sigh. How do you rate a book like this? At best, it reminds me of Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions," in which I constantly said to myself (or maybe it was aloud), "Wtf, is this really a book, or is it actually the total corruption of a human soul drawn on the pages of a book?" The drawings by Vollman make the comparison more than a little obvious, I guess. Anybody out there have one of the color versions?
(view spoiler)
Hadrian
Oh boy. Vollmann sure loves his whores. Almost every single book, whores whores whores. Even in one of the Seven Dreams books about Vikings and natives in 1000 AD, he crammed a section on them somewhere. Although I've never heard anybody else come close to approaching them with something almost like sensitivity. I suppose that's what I like about Vollmann - his talent for taking those at the very bottom, those most filthy and degraded and ignored, and making them human.

A short little parable on
Angela Roberts
Jul 15, 2008 Angela Roberts rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: perverts, assholes, violence junkies, people who like Vollman's stuff
***I wrote this in a slap dash way and will be editing it in the future. Sorry. ***

I started to read this book with a kind of sneering contempt and felt that the narrator too pathetic, the setting was predictably offensive, everything about Butterfly Stories seemed too self-conscious, too sensational, just kind of mawkish and over-written in a bad way.

As I continued reading though, I feel like the greater project of the novel lured me in, ultimately that was the most satisfying and amazing part
Natalie
William T. Vollmann writes a lot about whores without managing to come off as a gynophobic prick. His writing and turns of phrase are unparalleled.

Two American men - a journalist and a photographer - travel to Cambodia, Thailand, and Vietnam, for the express purpose of gorging on as many whores as they can stand. Afterward, of course, they discard the women like the condoms they don't use. This, and some introspective mooning on the part of the journalist, is pretty much the action.

The self-refe
Nathaniel
Vollman’s guided tour through a highly personal experience of Thai and Cambodian prostitution is operated neither for the benefit of lusty travelers nor for the righteously indignant. He deploys neither statistics nor sob stories to manipulate his readers, nor does he pander to voyeurists and perverts. However, his project is still manipulative—especially because of the tacked on narrative frame.

The bulk of the novel (at least 80% of it) transpires in chapters three and four. These can (and shou
Jill
I got herpes, aids and the clap just from reading this depressing book.
Jason
This book and others by Vollmann came highly recommended by my dear friend and confidant Natalie Ballard. So, while returning home from Cambodia, I started reading it. What a perfect, absolutely perfect time to read such a novel. It is reminiscent of the time I read "Blood Meridian" for the first time while traveling across the Chinese desert by train. Sometimes, the setting in which you read a book is worth a star in itself.

With that said, "Butterfly Stories" would probably have gotten five sta
Leah
“ . . . she couldn’t exactly be enjoying herself, but the similarity between wives and whores is that you don’t have to consider their pleasure when you f*ck them . .”
I think this pretty much sums up the sentiment of this book. It was entirely chauvinistic and degrading, and the characters were despicable in an outright way with no naivety that could help your relate to them. I don’t have anything against books with promiscuity or prostitution if its done well but this one was just a gross excu
Alexander Weber
3.5/5 stars.
The ideas are there, but I just didn't find myself fully immersed in our protagonist's world. This book doesn't have the dazzling prose that other Vollmann novels offer, such as The Ice Shirt or The Rifles. More similar, in style and prose, to Whores for Gloria. Both books explore the same themes, besides prostitution: a man falling for a prostitute and then slowly going insane (or does Whores for Gloria start with an insane protagonist?). If you're really into Hubert Selby Jr and Bu
Jack Waters
Vollmann continually floors me with his writing. His ability in conveying human interaction regardless of a character's motives is one of his finer attributes. He doesn't bumper-sticker you with what to think with regard to the situations. He places you at the level of the interaction and lets the minds and actions of the characters weave the story. That's what, to me, makes Vollmann's writing timeless.

I will now refer you to Nathan's brilliant review of this book. It is one of the finest review
Justin
Roughly, I'll sum this book up this way: We feel great pain from the early days of our childhoods, and in our life's search for love we recreate this pain over and over until it destroys us. And there's lots of whores.
Kyle
Asian whores and a lost expat.

Vollman fantasizes about what a guy who turns himself loose from his native identity might become, and the picture isn't pretty.

I loved this book, up until the part where the protagonist returns to the west and starts banging smack and shacking up with crack whores. Vollman intended it as a moralizing elaboration on the Thai sex trade, i think, but lost his way in an ethical determination propelled more by feminist doublespeak than any human insight. The ending riv
Adrian Astur Alvarez
Vollmann's tale of an aimless traveler looking for connection has well crafted sentences, a creative mix of short chapters and illustrations (by the author), and the ability to give the reader a precise sense of place. Towards the end, however, (and maybe this is just my issue) the meandering character devolved into a meandering book and though the writing was never superfluous, the story structure unraveled a little too much for me and I became bored. Still, one could do better being bored by W ...more
Josiah Miller
Another great novel by Vollmann. Not a masterpiece, but a poignant novel and exotic at the same time with typical Vollmann sentences of beauty. This is someone who is passionate about his subject.matter.
Brian
Some of the subject matter is appalling but there's a quality to the writing and construction of the novel that I could not dismiss.
Jonathan yates
This book didn't strike any of the chords that i've grown to expect out of Vollman, i couldn't actually get into any of the characters and not just because they're whoring men and confused expat's slowly losing their grip, more because of the fact that the story seems to have become disjointed as it continues on it's way, the first half of the book is very much a story and then when he (the main character) arrives back in america it just becomes a ramble that although i'm sure i could find some ...more
John
you can read all the little blurbs about Vollmann on his bookcovers and what-not, but i find myself once again impressed by his writing. this has the makings of a pretty lurid, self-absorbed plunge into Cambodian prostitution, but instead--hey, i sorta pity this confused guy in love with love, and desperate to import his "new wife" back to america. the writing also seems to get better as the book goes on, as the man becomes more desperate, vollmann's writing becomes more feverish, more dreamy. d ...more
Amy
For the first half of this book, we sympathize with the "butterfly boy" who finds solace in friendships with girls while his second grade male classmates repeatedly kick his ass. This boy grows up to become a journalist of a far less sympathetic character, as we follow him through a sex tour of Cambodia and Thailand.

After our protagonist returns to the States, the narrative gets a little looser. Memories, fantasies, and actual events all merge into a blur of an increasingly troubled man.
Jim
hell of a love story...vollmann is mercilessly human
Adrienne Girard
Jan 01, 2008 Adrienne Girard rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: guys who have a thing for asian girls
this is one of the most tedious books i read in a long time. the narrator's romantic obsession with vanna and the author's interesting writing style didn't make up for the fact that it was completely depressing and way too graphic for me. the narrator and i are both journalists, but even that didn't make me like it more.
Martin
My first introduction to Vollman, after being recommended by a friend...I was astounded by the honesty and intensity of the prose...Vollman is a master a painting sketches of the most unseemly characters and places in a way that is both sympathetic and piecing...an awesome talent...
Nathan Hauenstein
Dec 30, 2007 Nathan Hauenstein rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sexual-tourists
Recommended to Nathan by: eve, christian
A really beautiful but painful book. It wades through the lurid world of Thai and Cambodian prostitution. But through the violence (being during the period of the Khmer Rouge) comes something very heroic and innocent.
Christopher
I enjoyed this less than "Whores for Gloria". Where that novel pared fat to reach bone, this one meanders a little more, and I found myself losing interest.
Adam
"The punchline of the closed episode recedes as experience continues, which must be why it's so difficult to learn anything."
Ed
I thought this book was pretty bad and silly but I am still intrigued by him and will probably give him another chance.
William T Vollman...: 1993 Butterfly Stories 5 41 Jul 15, 2015 06:07AM
  • Moon Deluxe
  • My Mother: Demonology
  • Spanking the Maid
  • A Multitude of Sins
  • Pictures Showing What Happens on Each Page of Thomas Pynchon's Novel Gravity's Rainbow
  • The Abyss of Human Illusion
  • Piano Stories
  • A Bee Stung Me So I Killed All the Fish
  • A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies
  • Barefoot Dogs: Stories
  • Apartment in Athens
William Tanner Vollmann is an American novelist, journalist, short story writer and essayist. He lives in Sacramento, California with his wife and daughter.

More about William T. Vollmann...
Europe Central The Rainbow Stories Whores for Gloria You Bright and Risen Angels Poor People

“If this advertisement be not sufficient, I can only protrude my wormlike tendrils of apology, craving forbearance on the grounds that a writer must write about what he knows, and since I know nothing about any subject it scarcely matters where I dabble.” 8 likes