Start by marking “For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions” as Want to Read:
For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions

For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This book tells the story of the French and American Revolutions in a single, thrilling narrative that shows just how deeply intertwined they actually were. Their leaders were often seen as father and son, but the relationship of George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette, while close, was every bit as complex as the long, fraught history of the French-American allianc ...more
Published September 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about For Liberty and Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Liberty and Glory

Michael Ladusau
A remarkable work. An examination of the American and French Revolutions focusing on the lives of Washington and Lafayette; their personal and political relationship, their influence on one another, and how that in turn influenced each country's history. Very well written; the personalities and the times come alive explaining how the culture and past of each nation influenced the path that revolution took.
Gerald Curtis
If you like history, and don't mind endless, grinding details that might, at the time, seem unimportant, but are willing to pay the price of keeping track of them over the decades, this is an amazing account.

This narrative describes the people and events that parallel and intertwined to try and accomplish and to prevent the revolutions in France and America.

I had never known how intricately they were codependent , nor how complicated and financial it all was. This book (approximately 30 hours of
Michael Lunsford
Recommended for anyone who enjoys American or European history, this book follows America through the revolution surrounding George Washington and the friendship developed with Lafayette as well as the French Revolution(s). The first half of the book primarily focuses on America's ordeal then switches to France on the second half, yet it jumps between the two pretty readily. The book does a good job of describing Washington's personality if that is even something describable. I did get lost at t ...more
Aubrey Dustin
“Oh! Heaven grant us one great soul! One leading mind would extricate the best cause; from the ruin which seems to await it…One active, masterly capacity would bring order out of this confusion and save this country.”

The “great soul” that, more than any other, extricated America from the disaster of the Revolutionary War was George Washington. George Washington was also both mentor to, and beneficiary of, the greatest soul of the French Revolution, Lafayette.

Mr. Gaines writes a history of bot
Jason , etc.
When character and circumstance crash together, what ends up happening is a bunch of history. I think Socrates said that. Or maybe Ovid. Whatever. Writing history is tough largely due to the burden of trying to gauge how thorough one needs to be in the examination of a given subject. My history geekery seems to sit in the 18th century, specifically the years preceeding the Seven Years' War and burning through to ~1805. This book focuses on arguably two of the more interesting characters of the r ...more
My mother bought this book for me because at the time I was taking a class about the American Revolution and it was (and still is) on deep clearance at

The only reason I can think that it is on such a deep clearance is because people are sadly not interested in History. They are much more interested in current events, either political or entertainment-wise but that is rant for another day.

I enjoyed this book very much. It explores the relationship that existed between George Washington
I could have a few nitpicks about little things in this book, like the author's typical historian-establishment statement that the Founding Fathers really weren't religious, certainly not Christian, but overall this was very well done and a very enjoyable read. The author took the fascinating Washington-Lafayette relationship and used it to explore both men, their ideals and motivations, and the two revolutions they were intimately invoved in. He did a good job "going deeper" and exploring all o ...more
A neat and interesting premise, if a little risky: casting the French and American Revolutions in light of two major figures who had a hand in each conflict. Beginning with the American Revolution, Gaines provides an overview of the philosophical background, an examination of the practical execution of the conflict, and the major role that France played in each. Casting the ideals of the American Revolution as directly derived from the French Enlightenment, the narrative goes on to relate the cr ...more
“Washington, Lafayette, and others like them foreswore religious faith not from reading or thinking deeply about the matter (asked why the Constitution did not invoke God, Hamilton supposedly said, “We forgot”)…(15-16) “Washington’s exact words were not recorded, but from what Conway wrote later it is clear that Washington minced no words: He said he found it remarkable that Congress would promote someone who spoke so little at war councils before operations and criticized so often afterwards…” ...more
Jan 17, 2009 Mom is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that Pierre-Augustin Caron de Beaumarchais and his play, The Marriage of Figaro, led to anything but Mozart's opera? Well, I didn't. But apparently Beaumarchais was one of the principal funding forces behind the American Revolution and his play a principal intellectual force behind the French Revolution. Along the way there's a French transgendered diplomat "forced" to spend the rest of a life as a woman. Didn't know about her contribution, either. Both Washington and Lafayette come acr ...more
Everyone thinks they know the story of the American Revolution, and most people have seen Les Mis, so they think they know the story of the French Revolution too...but the stories are much deeper and much more interconnected than most people know. Gaines does a great job putting the two events together through George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. It's not a full biography of a both or a full accounting of either event, but just enough of everything to put the picture together.
A great work bringing together two heroes of their time, Washington and Lafayette. This very thorough comparison of the battle for freedom in America and in France in the late 1700's and thereafter, describes the trials and triumphs of these two great men, as well as their close working relationship turned friendship. A pleasurable read; I learned a lot the history books don't tell us!
A fascinating parallel account of the American and French revolutions, and both George Washington's and the Marquis de LaFayette's parallel quests for remembrance (or "glory"). I was *really* lucky in that I got this gem for free as an Advance Reader's Copy last year.
Brendan Howard
Oct 12, 2011 Brendan Howard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of readable history and books on American history and the American and French Revolutions
Shelves: history
A superlative history book for its rich characterizations, deep research, and novel-like pace and drama. It succeeds, also, in beautifully merging, comparing, and contrasting two different generals who were closer than many of us remember from history class.
I have had to pick up and put down this book so many times that it is frustrating. It is a very good book but due to a hectic schedule it has been hard for me to constantly read but I will finish it so I can move on to my next book.
Gary Gudmundson
His name was

"the very high and mighty lord Monseigneur Marie-Joseph-Paul-Yves-Roch-Gilbert de Motier de La Fayette"..."baron de Vissac, lord of St Romain, Fix and other places"
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
An excellent discussion of Washington and Lafayette, the life of Lafayette, and (to a lesser extent) the role of continental Europeans in the American Revolution.
hard to get through, more about France than Washington. Lacked a thesis and a voice
This is based upon the audio download from []

Narrated by: Norman Dietz
I usually love most books about Washington, not so much this one.
Feb 22, 2010 Lu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, america
French & American revolutions & intertwined
Adam Hodge
I liked Adopted Son better.
Matt Walker
Matt Walker marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Sebastien Gregoire
Sebastien Gregoire marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Chad marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Ellen marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Caleb marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • Washington's Secret War: The Hidden History of Valley Forge
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • The Ascent of George Washington: The Hidden Political Genius of an American Icon
  • Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution
  • The Road to Monticello: The Life and Mind of Thomas Jefferson
  • American Tempest: How the Boston Tea Party Sparked a Revolution
  • Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation
  • The First American Army: The Untold Story of George Washington and the Men Behind America's First Fight for Freedom
  • Lions of the West: Heroes and Villains of the Westward Expansion
  • Thomas Paine: Enlightenment, Revolution, and the Birth of Modern Nations
  • Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence
  • The First Salute
  • The Minutemen and Their World
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans
James R. Gaines is an American journalist, author, and international publishing consultant who is best known as a magazine editor. He was the chief editor of Time, Life, and People magazines between 1987 and 1996 and subsequently the corporate editor of Time Inc.

Gaines is a graduate of the McBurney School in New York City and the University of Michigan. His career in magazine journalism started at
More about James R. Gaines...