Start by marking “Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries, #6)

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mysteries #6)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,638 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
In her sixth engrossing outing, Jane Austen employs her delicious wit and family ties to the Royal Navy in a case of murder on the high seas. Somewhere in the picturesque British port of Southampton, among a crew of colorful, eccentric, and fiercely individual souls, a killer has come ashore. And only Jane can fathom the depths of his ruthless mind....
Jane and the Prisone
Published November 27th 2001 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House

Christine
Mar 08, 2017 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-inspired
Another entertaining addition to the series. I've never been taken by a fascination with the Royal Navy in the Regency period the way I know many are, and this was probably the most interest I've ever experienced in the naval world of the period. There was one assertion made about a certain French Emperor that I felt was a bit premature for the year in which this was set, but it ultimately had no real bearing on my overall enjoyment of the lovely adventure.
Georgiana 1792
Jane e la Royal Navy

Nell'ottobre del 1806 Jane Austen si trasferì con la madre e la sorella a Southampton, a casa del fratello Frank, che aveva appena sposato Mary Gibson. Nel febbraio 1807 la famiglia si trovava ancora in alloggi provvisori: si sarebbe spostata a Castle Square solo a marzo. Cassandra era a Godmersham quando Jane fu raggiunta dall'amica che la scrittrice considerava come una seconda sorella, Martha Lloyd, di dieci anni più grande di lei. Le Austen e Martha potevano così tenere c
Laurel
In the winter of 1807, we find Jane Austen in the seaport of Southampton living in hired lodgings while her brother Francis Austen’s new residence is made ready for them at Castle Square. The Austen women (Jane, sister Cassandra, their widowed mother and a dear family friend Martha Lloyd), will all be residing together under her brothers kind graces. He is at present a landlocked Royal Navy post captain anxiously awaiting his next assignment, and his first child.

News has reached Frank of a possi
QNPoohBear
Nov 12, 2013 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it

Jane, her mother, her sister and their friend Martha Lloyd have removed to Southampton to live with her brother Frank's bride Mary. Frank is on shore too, hoping for the Royal Navy to grant him a fast ship. Frank's wish is about to come true - he will soon be granted command of the Stella Maris. Unfortunately, the promotion for Frank comes at the sacrifice of his friend, Captain Seagrave, who is under arrest for murder of the French captain whose ship the Stella Maris had overcome.Captain Seagra
Hermioneginny
Feb 28, 2012 Hermioneginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sesta indagine di Jane Austen.
Sothampton, 1807. Jane si sta annoiando nella cittadina marittima, aspettando che la casa nuova sia pronta e la nascita di un nuovo nipotino, quando suo fratello Frank le confida sconvolto che un suo grande amico rischia di essere impiccato per un omicidio avvenuto in mare. Jane decide di aiutarlo, recandosi nella prigione di Wool House, dove i marinai francesi sono tenuti rinchiusi in attesa di essere scambiati. Tra loro c'è un uomo colto, il medico di bordo, che p
Feb 07, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Mystery #6)
Author: Stephanie Barron
Read by: Kate Reading
Publisher: Books on Tape
Length: 10 hours and 9 minutes

Source: MP3 Audio through Wisconsin Public Library Consortium – Overdrive on my Droid
In the winter of 1807, Jane Austen, her sister Cassandra, and her mother are living in Southampton with Jane’s brother Frank and his new bride Mary. Mary is expecting and so Frank has agreed to stay ashore, although he wants to be out fighting the F
Francesca Morelli
Sep 22, 2014 Francesca Morelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giallo
Mi è piaciuto molto!
Ai precedenti libri, sopratutto l'ultimo, di questa saga, ho fatto una recensione
che rasentava la noia, tra merletti, cappellini, guanti, balli, te e pasticcini e tante
tante chiacchere inutili.
Questo libro si è riscattato.
Lo stile vittoriano è sempre lo stesso, ma questa volta l'autrice in 300 pagine
si è limitata ad un solo ballo e ad un teatro, due eventi molto importanti per lo svolgimento
della storia.
Ho cercato di capire chi fosse l'autore del complotto e di tanti efferr
Jenna
May 10, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
I'll admit it. I groaned a little to myself when I read the book sleeve's description of Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House. Royal Navy? Yuck. Murder on the high seas? Blech. I was fully prepared to dislike the book on the whole and have to force myself to trudge through it's nearly 300 pages.

But . . . I was wrong. The book was fast-paced and so not over my head with naval details, terms and settings. Furthermore, for the first time in reading Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mystery series, I wa
Marty
Apr 13, 2016 Marty rated it liked it
Interesting concept … interesting book. Stephanie Barron wrote this book as if she were Jane Austin – and Jane is writing what happened to her. Even the dedication is written as if it were by Jane Austin. Barron has done a great deal of research in to Austin’s letters and books and is able to “recreate” the style and time of Austin. To help the reader, Barron occasionally puts in footnotes explaining a term, event, or even the original document that supports the concept. --------In this book, Ja ...more
Kristen
Apr 15, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
In the 6th installment of Stephanie Barron's Being Jane Austen historical mystery series, Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House, Jane returned in another gripping mystery that rocked her world. When Jane stood beside her brother Frank, who was a post Naval Captain without a ship, and the best prospect was the "Stella Maris", a frigate that his friend Tom Seagrave commanded. Tom was charged with violating the Act of War and murdering the French captain after he surrendered his ship. Now he faced co ...more
Sandy
a pretty good yarn! I learned quite a bit about English Maritime history of that period and Barron really does carry off the Jane Austen characterizations and period details and mannerisms very well. After sort of avoiding the series for quite some time, somewhat convinced of its in-authenicity, I find now I was quite wrong and have really been enjoying it, enough in fact to have picked up another one... Jane and the Stillroom Maid, although I am finding that I'd be better off reading #1 first, ...more
Miriam
Jun 26, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it
The naval setting of this, the sixth Jane Austen mystery, made a nice change from the previous ones. Yet another brother of Jane's was introduced, and the cast was once again a pleasure to read about. Some of the mysteries of these books are a bit uneven, and while this certainly wasn't the worst, it also wasn't among the best. A last-minute epiphany is required to conclude the plot, and this conclusion was far too neat and tidy. The murderer's motives also just barely made sense.
In a nutshell,
Maj
Nov 24, 2016 Maj rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy this series, or possibly even Hornblower fans
Another brilliant adventure. Jane Austen meets Hornblower. Well, kind of.

This book, Jane shares much of her time with brother Frank, the two of them (+a few other helpers) trying to save his fellow naval officer friend from hanging for murder.

The plot is nearly Christie-style convoluted, but definitely in a good way. We're thrown a couple of herrings, but everything sure makes sense by the end.

Even though this is the 6th book in the series, it actually wouldn't make a bad starting off point for
Cheryl
Nov 16, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: austeniana
I've liked this one best so far and thought it merited a few lines of review. The naval and maritime period details are marvelous--The researcher in me continues to be tickled by the idea of all those fine academic studies of obscure British history and Austen biographies providing the raw material for historical mystery like this. I haven't read the whole series yet but I think I like the ones without Sir Harold better--I find him a bit too unreal in comparison with the other factional characte ...more
Patti
Jun 30, 2016 Patti rated it it was ok
This is the third or fourth book in this series I've read and thought it was one of the least interesting of the group. I like to read these when I need a break from a lot of non-fiction reading and usually enjoy the attention to detail and easy "mystery" to them.

I found this book to be more plodding than some of the others. It seemed to lack a focus, perhaps the slight sexual tension that her Sir Harold Trowbridge character offered gave her other books a bit more sizzle.
Jodi
Sep 04, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
Okay, got sucked into this on the Jane Austen line and ended up enjoying it. The language was very true to Jane Austen and the story was interesting. It was a mystery of Jane Austen's brother's friend accusted of murder. Had characters of Austen's real-life and characters displaying traits of her novels. Got a kick out of it. A few twists of the plot were plausible and the ending a surprise but not far-fetched.
Becca
Sep 29, 2008 Becca rated it liked it
I find the Jane Austen mysteries to be dear, if historically inaccurate, combinations of two of my favorites: murder mysteries and Jane Austen. This particular volume also deals with the seaside and the Royal Navy, so it had a nice nautical twist.

The story and the voice weren't as lively as they had been in earlier books in the series, though. It may be that Barron is imitating an older Jane Austen writing style; I hope it's not that she's getting tired writing the books!
Ann
Aug 01, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
I really love this series. Jane Austen travels to Southampton to visit her brother. She finds him troubled by the arrest of his closest friend who is charged with the murder of a French captive after he had surrendered. Jane gets busy trying to find out what really happened. This series blends truth with the fiction of the story and makes a great story.
Elizabeth S
Dec 26, 2010 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: n-mystery, z-2011, c-adult
These books each get a little better as the series goes on. And they were pretty good to start with.

This one involves a lot of naval customs and such. Knowing what a post captain is or what a midshipman is, and knowing a little about how naval wives operate is helpful. But I don't think the knowledge is required to enjoy the book.
Rachel
Feb 06, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I think Barron borrowed from authors besides Jane Austen for this book, which annoyed me a little, but the story was interesting. I was glad to have a book without Lord Harold; I enjoy him well enough, but he's a ridiculous plot device. This felt much more believable, which much less mixing outside of the Austen family's class.
Diana
3&1/2 stars. Entertaining audiobook. It's the first book in this series that I've read (listened to,really) Probably wouldn't have liked it as much if I'd actually been reading it but the narrator was very good and it kept me occupied while I was doing tedious work. I also learned a little about British Naval History.
Krista
Aug 19, 2009 Krista rated it it was amazing
The very first paragraph states, "Had I suffered the misfortune to be born a man, I should have torn myself early from the affections of my family and all the comforts of home, and thrown my fate upon the mercy of the seas." Who knew that Jane Austen left behind loads of material to be turned into detective stories from her past. Crazy. I am going to read all these books now.
C.
Feb 01, 2009 C. rated it really liked it
Excellent! The best so far, by far. I was guessing at the outcome toward the end and was completely taken in. I love that. Jane was awesome, as always, and what fun to have her brother Frank in the adventure, too.

And Etienne . . . le sigh. Sorry, Lord Harold, but since you weren't in this book, I had to swoon over someone else. And what a someone he was!
Heather
Oct 04, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Aside from scuba reading, I finished Jane & The Prisoner of Wool House in the last couple of days. It inspired me to pick up an actual 19th-century novel. It's a little denser than the mysteries, so we'll see how far I get in the next couple of weeks.
Kristi Thompson
Mar 18, 2009 Kristi Thompson rated it liked it
I thought the Jane series had gotten tired, but I quite enjoyed this one. Perhaps I merely needed a vacation from them.

Plot wandered - my patience for plot twists and red herrings in mysteries is not infinite - but characters and period details more than compensated.
Anne
Apr 19, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Figured out the killer as soon as s/he was introduced. I didn't like the fact that Jane wasn't as active with this case so she had to rely on having her brother tell her about his interviews. Still a good read.
Catherine Yezak
Apr 03, 2009 Catherine Yezak rated it really liked it
This was also a pretty good book. Though I will admit that the stories that do not have Lord Harold in them seem to be a little slower than when he is in them. He is a good foil for Jane's thinking.
Jeanette
Aug 31, 2009 Jeanette rated it liked it
Sixth one....loved it.....I love the relationship with Jane and Lord Harold. These are such great simple reads that they keep me coming back for more. I'm hooked on this series...will I ever read a classic again? I need to get back on track but while I'm derailed I'm having a lot of fun.
Judy
Aug 20, 2016 Judy rated it liked it
Very complicated plot with lots of twists and turns. It strains credulity that Jane would be allowed to run around a sea port at all hours the way she does here. A good read. Had me guessing right up to the end.
Elsie
Nov 07, 2015 Elsie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It could have been a five. I like Jane, of course, but her brother Frank was also an interesting addition. I sure didn't know who did it until the very end. I like the complex writing. love this series.
  • The Deception at Lyme: Or, The Peril of Persuasion (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries, #6)
  • The Legacy of Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #10)
  • The Bohemian Girl (Denton, #2)
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • The Darcy Connection
  • Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Intimations of Austen
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • Assumed Obligation

Stephanie Barron was born Francine Stephanie Barron in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls
More about Stephanie Barron...

Jane Austen Mysteries (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor (Jane Austen Mysteries, #1)
  • Jane and the Man of the Cloth (Jane Austen Mysteries, #2)
  • Jane and the Wandering Eye (Jane Austen Mysteries, #3)
  • Jane and the Genius of the Place (Jane Austen Mysteries, #4)
  • Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Mysteries, #5)
  • Jane and the Ghosts of Netley (Jane Austen Mysteries, #7)
  • Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries, #8)
  • Jane and the Barque of Frailty (Jane Austen Mysteries, #9)
  • Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Mysteries, #10)
  • Jane and the Canterbury Tale (Jane Austen Mysteries, #11)

“...life's burdens may only be overcome by a summoning of inner resources: by a dependence not upon others, but upon the qualities of spirit and mind.” 1 likes