Start by marking “Three Who Made a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Three Who Made a Revolution

Three Who Made a Revolution

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This monumental triple biography weaves together the personal and public lives of the triumvirate behind the 1917 Russian Revolution, the creation of totalitarian Soviet state, and the repression and extermination of millions.
Published January 1st 1984 by Stein and Day (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Three Who Made a Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Who Made a Revolution

Erik Graff
Jul 26, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Revolution fans
Recommended to Erik by: Walter Wallace
Shelves: biography
Revolution was much in the air while I was in scondary school. Vietnam was struggling for reunification and independence against the United States. Biafra was seeking international recognition, Czechoslovakia greater independence from the Soviet Union. The students and the unions had brought the French government to the verge of collapse. Sustained demonstrations had caused our president to drop out of the race for a second term.
This atmosphere of crisis was reflected by the world, European and
Stevemid
This book is the story of the revolutionary fight for democracy and escape from the tyranny of the Russian monarchy. It is a political history of Russia, and the lands that lie between it, Europe and Asia from the early 1800s to the lead-up to World War I. To see Russia, not as the "Red Peril" but as a people fighting for self determination is quite an eye opener.
Katrinka
A really detailed, well-researched, and seemingly objective discussion of events leading up to the formation of the Soviet Union, focusing on Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. My only real complaint was that the book ended very abruptly, with no warning and no "pointers" as to further developments; I double-checked to make sure that I wasn't missing pages from the book. I have an early edition of the work, though, so this problem may have been remedied.
Angelina
I thought this book was utterly fascinating, if a bit dry. And my copy, which was from the early Sixties, didn't cover at all the revolution itself, and ended on an entirely unsatisfactory discussion of the Seven Theses Against War. Still, I learned a great deal about subversive political tactics and the personal lives of Trotsky, Lenin, and Stalin. Overall, a great read.
René
A great biography when covering the lives of Lenin and Trotsky, not so great when covering Stalin, this thorough historical inquiry unfortunately stops a bit short, when WWI breaks out - how power was seized, and abused, in 1917 would have nicely completed this review of the Marxist Revolution.
James
Beautifully written and well researched account of Lenin and Trotsky. It was if Stalin was thrown in because the author needed him, out of historical necessity, not because Stalin was really wanted aesthetically in the writing.
theodore
More narrative than analytical, this book offers a gripping read based on eyewitness testimonies.
Jacob
Rigorous and heavily textual. From the era when men had letters: old school, literary, exegetical.
Elizabeth
Dry and very old-school style historical writing, but very interesting nonetheless
Ike
I read Volume I years ago. Just noticed that I had II on the shelf.
Steve
Oct 03, 2008 Steve is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
my copy has fallen to bits around trotsky
Kgantshe Sehurutshe
Kgantshe Sehurutshe marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Nishant
Nishant marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Lucy Benson
Lucy Benson marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Dan Crockford
Dan Crockford marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Graeme McGuire
Graeme McGuire marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Nour Mohmead
Nour Mohmead marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
j
j marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Richard Kuchynskas
Richard Kuchynskas marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
GSVSMFS
GSVSMFS is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Mark Fisher
Mark Fisher marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
  • The Shadow of the Winter Palace: Russia's Drift to Revolution 1825-1917
  • Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • The Russian Revolution
  • The Road to Terror: Stalin and the Self-Destruction of the Bolsheviks, 1932-1939 (Annals of Communism Series)
  • The Romanovs: Autocrats of All the Russians
  • The Young Hitler I Knew
  • The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture
  • Ten Days that Shook the World (Value Edition)
  • Revolution in the Air: Sixties Radicals Turn to Lenin, Mao and Che
  • The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression
  • The Russian Civil War
  • The Anatomy of Revolution
  • My Life
The Fabulous Life of Diego Rivera Strange Communists I Have Known Marxism: One Hundred Years in the Life of a Doctrine A Life in Two Centuries The Bridge and the Abyss: The Troubled Friendship of Maxim Gorky and V.I. Lenin