Three Who Made a Revolution

Three Who Made a Revolution

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This monumental triple biography weaves together the personal and public lives of the triumvirate behind the 1917 Russian Revolution, the creation of totalitarian Soviet state, and the repression and extermination of millions.
Published January 1st 1984 by Stein and Day (first published 1948)

Erik Graff
Jul 26, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Revolution fans
Recommended to Erik by: Walter Wallace
Shelves: biography
Revolution was much in the air while I was in scondary school. Vietnam was struggling for reunification and independence against the United States. Biafra was seeking international recognition, Czechoslovakia greater independence from the Soviet Union. The students and the unions had brought the French government to the verge of collapse. Sustained demonstrations had caused our president to drop out of the race for a second term.
This atmosphere of crisis was reflected by the world, European and...more
Katrinka
A really detailed, well-researched, and seemingly objective discussion of events leading up to the formation of the Soviet Union, focusing on Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. My only real complaint was that the book ended very abruptly, with no warning and no "pointers" as to further developments; I double-checked to make sure that I wasn't missing pages from the book. I have an early edition of the work, though, so this problem may have been remedied.
Angelina
I thought this book was utterly fascinating, if a bit dry. And my copy, which was from the early Sixties, didn't cover at all the revolution itself, and ended on an entirely unsatisfactory discussion of the Seven Theses Against War. Still, I learned a great deal about subversive political tactics and the personal lives of Trotsky, Lenin, and Stalin. Overall, a great read.
René
A great biography when covering the lives of Lenin and Trotsky, not so great when covering Stalin, this thorough historical inquiry unfortunately stops a bit short, when WWI breaks out - how power was seized, and abused, in 1917 would have nicely completed this review of the Marxist Revolution.
James
Beautifully written and well researched account of Lenin and Trotsky. It was if Stalin was thrown in because the author needed him, out of historical necessity, not because Stalin was really wanted aesthetically in the writing.
theodore
More narrative than analytical, this book offers a gripping read based on eyewitness testimonies.
Jacob
Rigorous and heavily textual. From the era when men had letters: old school, literary, exegetical.
Elizabeth
Dry and very old-school style historical writing, but very interesting nonetheless
Ike
I read Volume I years ago. Just noticed that I had II on the shelf.
Steve
Oct 03, 2008 Steve is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
my copy has fallen to bits around trotsky
Joshua Yang
Joshua Yang marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Olgaumnova
Olgaumnova is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
Abi
Abi marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Elijah Grant
Elijah Grant marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Deepankar
Deepankar marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Scott Smith
Scott Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Diego Ospina
Diego Ospina marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Bada Kim
Bada Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Patrone
Patrone marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
ZM
ZM marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Fabulous Life of Diego Rivera Marxism: One Hundred Years in the Life of a Doctrine A Life in Two Centuries The Bridge and the Abyss: The Troubled Friendship of Maxim Gorky and V.I. Lenin Strange Communists I Have Known