Start by marking “Three Who Made a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Three Who Made a Revolution

Three Who Made a Revolution

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This monumental triple biography weaves together the personal and public lives of the triumvirate behind the 1917 Russian Revolution, the creation of totalitarian Soviet state, and the repression and extermination of millions.
Published January 1st 1984 by Stein and Day (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Three Who Made a Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Who Made a Revolution

Erik Graff
Jul 26, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Revolution fans
Recommended to Erik by: Walter Wallace
Shelves: biography
Revolution was much in the air while I was in scondary school. Vietnam was struggling for reunification and independence against the United States. Biafra was seeking international recognition, Czechoslovakia greater independence from the Soviet Union. The students and the unions had brought the French government to the verge of collapse. Sustained demonstrations had caused our president to drop out of the race for a second term.
This atmosphere of crisis was reflected by the world, European and
Stevemid
This book is the story of the revolutionary fight for democracy and escape from the tyranny of the Russian monarchy. It is a political history of Russia, and the lands that lie between it, Europe and Asia from the early 1800s to the lead-up to World War I. To see Russia, not as the "Red Peril" but as a people fighting for self determination is quite an eye opener.
Katrinka
A really detailed, well-researched, and seemingly objective discussion of events leading up to the formation of the Soviet Union, focusing on Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. My only real complaint was that the book ended very abruptly, with no warning and no "pointers" as to further developments; I double-checked to make sure that I wasn't missing pages from the book. I have an early edition of the work, though, so this problem may have been remedied.
Angelina
I thought this book was utterly fascinating, if a bit dry. And my copy, which was from the early Sixties, didn't cover at all the revolution itself, and ended on an entirely unsatisfactory discussion of the Seven Theses Against War. Still, I learned a great deal about subversive political tactics and the personal lives of Trotsky, Lenin, and Stalin. Overall, a great read.
René
A great biography when covering the lives of Lenin and Trotsky, not so great when covering Stalin, this thorough historical inquiry unfortunately stops a bit short, when WWI breaks out - how power was seized, and abused, in 1917 would have nicely completed this review of the Marxist Revolution.
James
Beautifully written and well researched account of Lenin and Trotsky. It was if Stalin was thrown in because the author needed him, out of historical necessity, not because Stalin was really wanted aesthetically in the writing.
theodore
More narrative than analytical, this book offers a gripping read based on eyewitness testimonies.
Jacob
Rigorous and heavily textual. From the era when men had letters: old school, literary, exegetical.
Elizabeth
Dry and very old-school style historical writing, but very interesting nonetheless
Ike
I read Volume I years ago. Just noticed that I had II on the shelf.
Steve
Oct 03, 2008 Steve is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
my copy has fallen to bits around trotsky
Nour Mohmead
Nour Mohmead marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
j
j marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Richard Kuchynskas
Richard Kuchynskas marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
GSVSMFS
GSVSMFS is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Mark Fisher
Mark Fisher marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Anssi
Anssi marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Darleth
Darleth marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
J. Brian O'Day
J. Brian O'Day marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Keith Leung
Keith Leung marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
  • Bukharin and the Bolshevik Revolution: A Political Biography, 1888-1938
  • The Russian Revolution
  • Revolution in the Air: Sixties Radicals Turn to Lenin, Mao and Che
  • The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression
  • Ten Days that Shook the World (Value Edition)
  • We Want Freedom: A Life in the Black Panther Party
  • Copy This!: Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies
  • Gladstone: A Biography
  • The Road to Terror: Stalin and the Self-Destruction of the Bolsheviks, 1932-1939 (Annals of Communism Series)
  • Two Souls Indivisible: The Friendship That Saved Two POWs in Vietnam
  • Darkroom: A Memoir in Black and White
The Fabulous Life of Diego Rivera Marxism: One Hundred Years in the Life of a Doctrine A Life in Two Centuries The Bridge and the Abyss: The Troubled Friendship of Maxim Gorky and V.I. Lenin Strange Communists I Have Known