Start by marking “Three Who Made a Revolution” as Want to Read:
Three Who Made a Revolution

Three Who Made a Revolution

This monumental triple biography weaves together the personal and public lives of the triumvirate behind the 1917 Russian Revolution, the creation of totalitarian Soviet state, and the repression and extermination of millions.
Published January 1st 1984 by Stein and Day (first published 1948)

Shawn
Feb 22, 2015 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bertram D. Wolfe was one of the founding members of the American Communist Party. A lifelong long Marxist, he knew personally Leon Trotsky and had met Joe Stalin. As a student of the Russian Social Democratic Party and the Revolutions that toppled the Tsar he was a prime mover in the radio Voice of America and ran for congress as a Communist in 1928. After his political run was unsuccessful, no surprise, he ventured to the Soviet Union. When he returned to the United States, his politics had shi ...more
Erik Graff
Jul 26, 2012 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Revolution fans
Recommended to Erik by: Walter Wallace
Shelves: biography
Revolution was much in the air while I was in scondary school. Vietnam was struggling for reunification and independence against the United States. Biafra was seeking international recognition, Czechoslovakia greater independence from the Soviet Union. The students and the unions had brought the French government to the verge of collapse. Sustained demonstrations had caused our president to drop out of the race for a second term.
This atmosphere of crisis was reflected by the world, European and
Nick
Jun 23, 2017 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone like me, who knew next to nothing about the context of the several Russian revolutions, Three Who Made a Revolution is an exciting biographical history that traces the contours of the decades leading up to 1917. Despite the title, the book treats mostly Lenin and his revolutionary milieu, a group of mostly bourgeois intellectuals who ostensibly committed their lives to Marxist revolutionary praxis. The many competing -- and strangely cut and dried -- Russian takes on Marxist thought ...more
Scott Pierce
Feb 16, 2017 Scott Pierce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trotsky on how school groups are reflected in political movements - "... the tale-bearers and the envious at one pole, the frank, courageous boys at the other, and the neutral, vacillating mass in the middle. These three groups never quite disappeared in the years that followed."

Trotsky believed that the worker's jubilation at the outbreak of war was not nationalism but just change from the routine.
Katrinka
Aug 22, 2011 Katrinka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really detailed, well-researched, and seemingly objective discussion of events leading up to the formation of the Soviet Union, focusing on Lenin, Trotsky, and Stalin. My only real complaint was that the book ended very abruptly, with no warning and no "pointers" as to further developments; I double-checked to make sure that I wasn't missing pages from the book. I have an early edition of the work, though, so this problem may have been remedied.
Angelina
Jun 15, 2011 Angelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was utterly fascinating, if a bit dry. And my copy, which was from the early Sixties, didn't cover at all the revolution itself, and ended on an entirely unsatisfactory discussion of the Seven Theses Against War. Still, I learned a great deal about subversive political tactics and the personal lives of Trotsky, Lenin, and Stalin. Overall, a great read.
Steve Middendorf
Dec 05, 2014 Steve Middendorf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of the revolutionary fight for democracy and escape from the tyranny of the Russian monarchy. It is a political history of Russia, and the lands that lie between it, Europe and Asia from the early 1800s to the lead-up to World War I. To see Russia, not as the "Red Peril" but as a people fighting for self determination is quite an eye opener.
James
Jun 14, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, ussr
Beautifully written and well researched account of Lenin and Trotsky. It was if Stalin was thrown in because the author needed him, out of historical necessity, not because Stalin was really wanted aesthetically in the writing.
René
Aug 03, 2011 René rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histoire
A great biography when covering the lives of Lenin and Trotsky, not so great when covering Stalin, this thorough historical inquiry unfortunately stops a bit short, when WWI breaks out - how power was seized, and abused, in 1917 would have nicely completed this review of the Marxist Revolution.
Elizabeth
Dry and very old-school style historical writing, but very interesting nonetheless
Jacob
Sep 03, 2012 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Rigorous and heavily textual. From the era when men had letters: old school, literary, exegetical.
Ike
May 18, 2010 Ike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Volume I years ago. Just noticed that I had II on the shelf.
Mike Motto
Dec 27, 2014 Mike Motto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic.
Robert Seaman
Aug 01, 2016 Robert Seaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a cornerstone of the best course I ever took as an undergraduate. I still have it 47 years later.
Steve
Oct 03, 2008 Steve is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
my copy has fallen to bits around trotsky
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2011
noiraeternus
noiraeternus rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Fred Eisenhut
Fred Eisenhut rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2008
Don
Don rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Geoffrey Cobb
Geoffrey Cobb rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2008
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
David L.
David L. rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Stevefk
Stevefk rated it it was ok
May 30, 2011
Heather Chesser-McMichael
Heather Chesser-McMichael rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Karlo Mikhail
Karlo Mikhail rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Grahame Fogel
Grahame Fogel rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • Mao's China and After: A History of the People's Republic
  • Karl Marx: A Biography
  • The Russian Civil War
  • The Road to Terror: Stalin and the Self-Destruction of the Bolsheviks, 1932-1939 (Annals of Communism Series)
  • Czars: Russia's rulers for over one thousand years