Start by marking “Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)

Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes #10)

Newlyweds Mac Smith & Annabel Reed find themselves caught up in two remarkably similar murders: one in Washington D.C.'s glorious National Cathedral & the other in a village church in England's Cotswold region. From the author of Murder at the Kennedy Center. Large print.
Published August 1st 1999 by Fawcett Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the National Cathedral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the National Cathedral

Judy
Jul 05, 2010 Judy rated it it was ok
I chose this book for several reasons. One was that I grew up in Washington, D.C. and have spent untold hours in the National Cathedral since the early 1960s. Yep, I'm that old. Anyway, it has been fascinating watching the Cathedral's construction over the decades. Both of my children were baptized in the Cathedral--one in the chapel where the murder in this book occurred. Another reason is that I have never read a book by Margaret Truman and I have been curious about her books set in Washington ...more
Tushar
Jun 12, 2012 Tushar rated it really liked it
With me being a guy who turns to books only when he needs to refresh and recharge his mind, this was the perfect match. The manner in which the characters and the plot have been depicted in the book is so fluent and so fantastic that you will find it hard to get away from the book once you start reading it. The language in which the National Cathedral is described is both subtle and sultry at the same time.It seemed to me as if the whole crime scene is taking place in front of my eyes and from t ...more
Liesl
May 07, 2008 Liesl rated it really liked it
This was the first of her books that I read. The story is set in Washington DC, as the main characters get married and then the priest who marries them gets murdered. Definitely some conspiracy theory in this book, which I always find interesting to ponder, if not to wonder about. Easy to read, not so complex that you are confused by the number of characters or what is going on with them. I enjoyed it a lot. This has lead to me to take out several more of her books. Hopefully I will enjoy them j ...more
Richa
Jun 26, 2015 Richa rated it it was ok
The author seems to have been 'inspired' by the Perry Mason series. The premise of the series is same -- a lawyer-cum-investigator, a female sidekick and staunch supporter, a male private detective-cum-friend working to solve a crime and successfully defend in court.

Although, it is fine to be 'inspired' and at times it creates something really beautiful (Hercule Poirot-Sherlock Homes), but here, I wasn't impressed by the inspiration.
I can appreciate that the author tried to make this racier (cle
Karen
Nov 21, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was fluff, no two ways about it. Overall, it was decent, though the end was a bit abrupt. Still, a fairly enjoyable light read just to relax.
Heidi
Jan 07, 2017 Heidi rated it really liked it
Off to a little slow start and hard to get into but then I ended up enjoying. my 1st book by M. Truman. I actually purchased it at the the National Cathedral so really enjoyed the setting and descriptions of such a beautiful National Treasure.
Dale
Jun 01, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tedious at best

Published in 1990 by Random House Audio
Read by Rene Auberjonois
Duration: approximately 3 hours.

I have read a number of Margaret Truman's murder mysteries and was pleased to find this one as an audiobook so that I could enjoy it on my drive to work. However, this one was a true departure from her other works that I have read and approached what I was afraid that all of her books would be like when I first started reading them: the pretentious writings of a Washington insider. The m
Laura Beasley
Nov 10, 2014 Laura Beasley rated it really liked it
I give this book 3.5 stars. Another good mystery by Margaret Truman. We visited the National Cathedral this summer for the first time so reading this book reminded me of our visit. Mac and Annabel are married by the priest Paul Singletary and shortly after that he is found murdered in the cathedral. Did someone connected with the church kill him or was it someone walking in off the street. Mac is drawn into this murder and when he and Annabel go to London on their honeymoon he decides to do some ...more
Denise Hartman
Aug 16, 2011 Denise Hartman rated it it was ok
Mackenzie Smith marries his long time sweetheart Annabell in Washington D.C.'s National Cathedral, but the priest that conducts the ceremony ends up murdered a short time later. Mac steps out of teaching law to advise the Cathedral on legal matters around the murder, but he soon finds himself caught up in the investigation as much more than an adviser. Threats on he and Annabel on their honeymoon in London eventually lead to clues much closer to home.

While I enjoyed this story, I was somewhat di
Ellen Moore
Jan 13, 2016 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it
I was pleased to discover that the two main characters in this book, Mac and Annabel Smith, are the same as in the last Margaret Truman mystery I read. This was another interesting book in the capital crimes series, this one set in the National Cathedral. A priest is murdered, his body found in the National Cathedral. Mac again is drawn into investigating this murder. He and Annabel honeymoon in London; and Mac discovers another body there, that of another priest and also found in a church. Agai ...more
Michelle
Sep 16, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
What the heck?

It's books like this that give me hope that I, too, can one day call myself a published writer. The writing is clunky, the characters not likable, the mystery not too intense at all.

I like D.C., so if I'm in a D.C. mystery mood and don't really need to lend my brain too much, then sure, I might read Margaret Truman again. This book was at least a fast read. Maybe her first novel is better? It's actually set in the White House, so that might be more appealing.

I'm actually more inte
Sherry Carter
Jun 02, 2015 Sherry Carter rated it liked it
The sleuthing duo, Mac Smith and Annabell Reed, are married in the National Cathedral. Soon after a violent murder shatters the tranquility of the church community and interrupts Mac and Annabel's newlywed bliss. Devoted to each other and to their work and trying to avoid other entanglements, they find themselves drawn into harsh and unholy realities.
A similar crime in England and a collection of strange characters including a playboy priest, a jealous husband, and terrorist elements deepen the
Kay
Jul 14, 2013 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I read one of Truman's books 30 years ago and don't remember whether I liked it or not. Since I am going on a week trip I wanted to download some books from the library on my Kindle and came across several of her books available. Then I finished the wonderful O'Brien book early and needed something to read before we left. I went to my 'book closet' and found a couple of her books.

At any rate, this was a light little mystery and probably better than I expected. Now I have a new author to fill in
Dorer002
Jan 21, 2013 Dorer002 rated it liked it
I like mysteries, so I enjoyed the basics, but many parts of the book seemed weird and outdated. For example, the author seems a little racist, she kept referring to one guy as "The Korean" and said a cab driver had a "name like an African King." It just was kind of weird. Also, it just seemed kind of boring for a murder mystery. On the other hand, I really didn't know who did it till the end. Oh yeah, the whole CIA/Navy/MI5 seemed totally wack.
Marilyn
Mar 11, 2009 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
I read this Margaret Truman book first and enjoyed it. I have been to the National Cathedral several times and she makes the place come alive. I have since read several more of her books and each is very different from the others and so believeable. She keeps you in suspense all the way to the end.
Marcella
Sep 29, 2015 Marcella rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional Margaret Truman mystery continuing the lives of Annabelle Reed and Mac Smith. Life in DC can be complicated but these two professionals have managed to handle all DC has to offer while still solving their current mystery. This is definitely one of my favorite mystery series, lots of realistic activity and characters working together to solve the "who done it."
Karen
May 15, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-mysteries
I loved this book and since my library has all of hers, I am going to be reading more of these.As far as page turner I would have given this a 4, but because it was actually a decent cozy pure mystery with no political agenda I bumped it up to a 5.
Kathryn
Jun 18, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
This was a light book and quick read. I've read Margaret Truman books in the past, but not this one. I read it for the info on the National Cathedral, but there wasn't much there. It was a fun summer read, however.
Phillis
Aug 27, 2011 Phillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the fact that the aurthor used the same character in this book as the last book. The building of suspence towards the end shows how her writing was evolving and getting much more to the building of suspence towrds the end of the storyline.
Abbey
Dec 27, 2008 Abbey rated it it was ok
Now that I've been to the National Cathedral and was totally enthralled for 6 hours of wandering around, this book is a little more interesting. It's predictable, but I recognize the descriptions so that makes it more tolerable.
Pamela
May 06, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing
very good , this must be the intial one with Mac Smith and wife. good plot and variety of emotions for reader from concern to humor a good who done it. I really like the information given about the Washington landmarks.
Rebecca Staines
Jan 22, 2015 Rebecca Staines rated it did not like it
Although I didn't technically finish reading this book, I could not get myself to be invested in the plot or the characters. The descriptions were too outdated and there wasn't much depth to the protagonist.
grundoon
As always, love the tidbits only a familiar and an insider can provide, but am not yet sure I love the new series. There's potential, yet also potential of leaning too heavily on the main characters - this one did nothing to ally that worry.
Nov 15, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Newlywed plucky perfect protagonist couple gets tangled in another murder mystery despite halfhearted protestations of not wanting to get caught up in other people's drama. Entertaining bedtime reading but you bet my suspension of disbelief is on its last legs.
Catherine Woodman
This series is usually well written (which at this point makes me wonder if she is the author still because they still hold together well, and she has to be getting up there in age), not too heavy on character development, and not driven by action--acceptable mysteries
Marie Flanigan
Jan 03, 2015 Marie Flanigan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was okay in the beginning, although definitely a book of its era. Then the whole thing fell apart at the end with an unnecessarily complicated climax followed by a tedious wrap up explanation. There was a Great Dane named Rufus though, and that got it the second star.
Phaedra221
Jun 07, 2015 Phaedra221 rated it liked it
Have read so many of her mysteries. Cannot believe that this one escaped my attention. Glad I'm finally getting to it.
Now, having finished the book, I should pick up some of the others I may have missed. However, I have too many other books on the shelves that I need to get through first.
Nancy Jean Patchel
Good story

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. On to the next of her crime novels, of which there are many; decisions, decisions!
vorbore
Predictable. Mr. and Mrs. Smith just did not do it for me. And the translation to Croatian was not the winner either.
Heather
Mar 27, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for an enjoyable, benign (if any of her books were made into a movie, it would be rated PG, not R)mystery author, I highly recommend Margaret Truman.
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Blind Rage (Bernadette Saint Claire #2)
  • Don't Go Home (Death on Demand, #25)
  • All the Dead Were Strangers
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Father Christmas Mystery, #3)
  • Lost Legacy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #2)
  • Deceit
  • The Hot Flash Club Chills Out
  • Murder with a Twist
  • Perhaps I've Said Too Much (A Great Big Book of Messing with People)
  • The Love Talker
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)