Gregor und der Schlüssel zur Macht (Underland Chronicles, #2)

Gregor und der Schlüssel zur Macht (Underland Chronicles #2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  19,515 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews
Sopramondo, New York: il padre di Gregor e Boots soffre di una misteriosa malattia che gli impedisce di lavorare, e con il solo stipendio della madre e le medicine da pagare, la famiglia è in gravi difficoltà economiche. Non c'è un centesimo per festeggiare il Natale, e spesso per? no la cena è un problema. La situazione potrebbe precipitare da un momento all'altro. Sottom...more
Published February 2006 by Oetinger (first published September 1st 2004)

Jackie
Okay, so after finishing Gregor the Overlander, I couldn’t wait to get to the second installment. I was left wondering at the aftereffects of Gregor’s return. How did he tell his mom about his adventures and how did she react? By the end of the first book I was just as worried as Gregor was about his return.

Unfortunately, home life hasn’t gotten any easier for Gregor and his family. Economically, they’re still struggling and emotionally they’re still dealing with the mysterious happenings of Un...more
Adama
9 3/4

Suzanne Collins is a masterful author. The Hunger Games trilogy is a masterpiece. One of my most favorite books. I do believe that in a few years it will become a classic. When I was done with the Hunger Games trilogy with the release of Mockingjay I was thirsty for more books by her. So I decided to try her first series, the Underland Chronicles. When I opened the pages of Gregor the Overlander last year, I admit it: I was affraid. Not because it is a book that appeals to children, since I love...more
Kwoomac
I wish I knew a 10-12 year old boy I could recommend this series to. The story line is great. Our hero Gregor who is probably about 12 discovers an underground world filled with pale humans who haven't seen the light of day in forever, along with lots of giant rodents, roaches and bats. Pretty cool. Not too scary. This is Book #2 in a series so you know the hero survives. He's flawed and his family life is far from perfect. My favorite character continues to be Boots. Love her interactions with...more
Lucy
An absolutely brilliant sequel to Gregor the Overlander. Anyone doubting Suzanne Collins' storytelling prowess should definitely give this series a try. I'd love to see Collins write a book for adults, since she's proven with this series and The Hunger Games that she's capable of writing fantastic, engaging stories for both children and young adults with ease.

I ordered the third book before I'd even finished this one and I'm very glad I did - there's a few loose ends at the end of this one that...more
August Busch
If half stars were available I would actually rate this a 3.5. I find the Underland Chronicles interesting and enjoy Gregor's adventures. This book was good, even though I had a few issues with the characters. I felt 50 percent of the book dwelled on characters emotions and their reaction at the end of the first book. If you look pass the repetitive explainations and emotions, the book was entertaining. Clearly the issues I have with this one was not crucial because I plan on starting the third...more
Lindsey
Why is NO ONE talking about this series?!?!?

It's not quite as "adult" as the Hunger Games trilogy but I think that this series is so so so much better. You follow a boy and his sister as they fight rats in the Underland.

This book actually had me on the edge of my seat towards the end. AND it left off on a cliffhanger so I'm glad that when I found this book I got the next one in the series as well.
MsKim
What a cliffhanger!
I really like this as a middle grade (and even older) series, because it fits into the whole "hero's journey" type of coming of age genre. It's neat to see how Gregor is shifting in his perspective about the Underland. Finding out that the crucial aspect of his character, that he is a Rager (won't tell you what that is), complicates his own internal conflicts. It was an ominous ending to the book, and then when I saw the title for book 3 it all made sense.

Sorry these reviews...more
Becky
After staying up until 1 in the morning to finish book 1 I was eager to dig into book 2. I was at work today and had to go out in my lunch break, but luckily I finished early today so once I got home at 3.30 I got to sit down and get stuck in. By 5.00 I was over halfway through. This one is 50 pages longer than book 1, coming in at 308 pages, but that is still not a lot for me.
I stopped for dinner then picked the book up again and was finished by 7.00. Once again I had powered through it, swept...more
Timo
Just keep scrolling down. The review is at the bottom. ;)Please watch for random words.

froggly, vrogly

boggely, croboly

skitter patter

This book takes place underground where spiders are 6 feet tall, and cockroaches are 8 feet tall. Rats are 10 feet tall and are very scary. Gregor is sent for and goes down there once again...
Charlotte
In this sequel to Gregor the Overlander, Gregor returns to the Underland to find and kill the Bane. It's a quick, easy read that took me slightly less than 2 days to finish.

The more I read of Suzanne Collins' books, the more impressed I am with her as a writer. These are Junior Fiction books, but the stories carry an emotional heft & maturity that is sometimes lacking in fiction written for tweens. (Ok, I admit to crying again in this one!) I love that the hero is faced with difficult choice...more
Kimberlee
Alicia
Lots of excellent character development and further fun in this sequel to Gregor the Overlander. I loved learning a bit more about Gregor's other sister, Lizzie, and the mysterious, insightful Mrs. Cormaci. In some ways this book only became sillier than the first, adding mercenary fireflies to the already well-rounded cast of talking animals and insects, but I can sense that Collins wrote with a hidden sense of humour. I get the impression that she wouldn't be too uptight to laugh at herself an...more
Cayden E.
I just started the second book of underland chronicals it is a really good series.I think this book is a action packed novel but if you read them out of order you will not understand whats going on.So in the book these huge roaches took his little sister named boots.Gregor finds another gateway near central park that gateway leads to the underland.He thought it would be his last time ever going there well he was totally wrong.He starts to search for his sister and he is walking down a tunnel and...more
Brad
I give this book a five star rating not because it is "great literature" in the sense that The Count of Monte Cristo or A Tale of Two Cities is great lit, but because it is an awesome story told very well. With this novel, Suzanne Collins has secured her entry in my list of favorite authors. I hadn't planned to finish it last night, but it was too good not to and so I stayed up late.

Great characters, particularly Gregor. He's realistic, but a good example for kids who read about him. I love seei...more
Jenben8426
Just as good if not better than the first in the series. I'm really enjoying this one. I can't wait until my boys are a little older--this is such a good boy book--giant bats and rats, sword fights, swimming dinosaurs, mazes, man/bat/anything eating gnats, just all around "boy" stuff.

Gregor has been home from the Underland for only a few months, when he is forced to go back when his little sister Boots disappears. Gregor soon learns that there is another prophecy that he must decipher and fulfil...more
Jonathan Gatus
In the second book of the Gregor the Overlander series, Gregor blocked the hole in the grate that led to the Underland. After all the things that happened the first time he fell down the grate, he wanted absolutely nothing to do with the Underland anymore. He wanted to just forget the Underland like it never existed. So he acted the same, just as he usually did. He did chores and tried to keep busy so he wouldn't think about it, but then, one day he took Boots to the park. She was playing and ha...more
Carrie Slager
Just like in the case of The Iron Daughter, this is a book that does not suffer from Book 2 Disease. In fact, I like it even more than the first book because there are many interesting new characters (Photos Glow-Glow, Zap and Howard, for instance) and a great plot that throws many twists and turns at you, especially at the end. Gregor also becomes a much more interesting character as he braves even more dangers to help protect a land he owes no true allegiance to.

What I like about this book is...more
Kaethe
Gregor leads a somewhat trying existence in NYC. He's gotten his father back, but his father isn't well, and his mother is strained to the limit trying to keep the family fed and sheltered. He really doesn't want to go on another disastrous adventure underground.

And yet, here he is, at least in part because of another prophecy which no one can ever understand until after the fact. I don't like "chosen one"s very much. I can understand Gregor's problems, but he's pretty sullen and unlikeable here...more
Fictionboy
Updated*

Wow! This is just the book to change my view of the series! It had me crying, laughing, and questioning a lot of decisions, but HOLY COW this book!

- Loved the characters Photos Glow-Glow and Zap! They added so much humor to this book!
- Really loved how Suzanne Collins layered (if that word makes sense) the ending of this book!
- Was actually able to look forward to what was coming next! (Compared to the first book)
- And finally I think my favorite concept of this book, is how Christmas wa...more
Мила
Когато един път те нарочат за герой, тази репутация ще те следва цял живот. Грегор нямаше никакво намерение да става такъв, когато започнаха приключенията му в Подземната страна. След като Сивото пророчество е изпълнено и изчезналият му баща – спасен, Грегор се сбогува с Подземната страна и бе готов никога повече да не се върне там. В крайна сметка гигантските хлебарки, кръвожадните плъхове и подлите предателства са твърде много за едно единадесетгодишно момче.
Но съдбата (и нейният слуга, яснови...more
Michelle
I am not a huge fantasy lover. I get bored easily when there is a quest or journey of some sort the main character needs to take. This story (and series) doesn't have that endless feel of a 'quest' or 'journey'. I truly want to know what will happen next to Gregor and Boot and everyone else! I can't wait to read the next book is the series, "Gregor the Overlander and the Curse of the Warmbloods".
Dan
Like the first book, I'm sure 4th graders will love it. There's fun action, a fun mystery, and fun characters. Quite elementary for an adult. I'll review the series once I've finished it.

********
There must be a lot of Suzanne Collins fans out there reviewing with their hearts, because there's no way the books I just read deserve the glowing reviews they are receiving. There plot holes are SO big...The dialogue is SO dry...The conflict resolution is SO lazy...I can't even see the 10-year-old crow...more
Jenna
Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane is a tale that takes everything I loved about Gregor the Overlander and improves it. The stakes are raised, the prophecy is darker, and, as Suzanne Collins so often does in her fiction, deep moral issues are discussed in a way that even children and young adults can relate to.

As a child this was my least favorite in the series (though I still adored it), but as I've grown up I've grown to appreciate some of the subtleties in what might appear to some as little mo...more
Pamala
We also listened to this book on CD and I'm starting to either get used to the baby voice used for "Boots" or I'm not letting it bother me any longer. It's still a little violent, but for older readers I think it's not too over the top. I'm already listening to the 3rd in the series!
Joe Alexander
This one tracked at about 2 stars for much of the book but started to really catch its stride toward the end and finished fairly strong (relatively, of course). This is still just a mediocre series but, hey, my wife bought the set so I'll probably read the next one eventually.
Ebster Davis
I haven't read the first book in this series, I just picked this one up and read it. It was surprisingly easy to understand the story, even though they refer to the events in the first book a lot.

It starts out with this "White boy from modest circumstances must save exotic/magic world" vibe. Which isn't bad, because I actually like those types of books, but it seemed to be hitting all of the beats that a story in this genre has without being anything special...

White pre-pubescent male is spoken...more
Alexander Draganov
Heart-warming tale of adventure, bravery and what makes you a true hero. In a children's book Suzanne Collins shows an extreme ability to develop her characters in a way, which I haven't seen since the Harry Potter novels by J.K. Rowling. Gregor is a great, inspiring hero and in the same time a young boy, prone to the errors of his age, vulnerable to the cruelty of life and still not bad because of it. The supporting cast of characters is also fantastic and colourful and the plot twist with the...more
Taylor
This book is awesome actually the series is awesome. Gregor realizes and accepts the overland and I love how he shows up some of the under landers. That was awesome. Can't wait to read the third book!
Jane
Another brilliant story that really races along. I hope that Suzanne Collins will write for adults at some stage but meantime I will make do with the remaining books in this wonderful series.
Amazing Series 5 37 May 02, 2013 04:02PM
☺ Books Are Bette...: Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane 1 2 Apr 23, 2013 01:25PM
underland gossip ...: Gregor and the prophecy of the bane 4 10 Aug 27, 2012 02:06AM
  • Charlie Bone and the Time Twister (The Children of the Red King, #2)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • The Dark Planet (Atherton, #3)
  • Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Eye Of The Forest (Children Of The Lamp, #5)
  • The Search for Truth (Erec Rex, #3)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra (Leven Thumps, #4)
  • The Time Thief (The Gideon Trilogy, #2)

Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little B...more
More about Suzanne Collins...
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3) Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)

“Oh, be quiet, Fo-Fo.” 36 likes
“If Under fell, if Over leaped,
If death was life and Death life reaped,
Something rises from the gloom,
To make the Underland a tomb

Hear it scratching down below,
Rat of long forgotten snow,
Evil cloaked in coat of White,
Will the Warrior drain your light?

What could turn the Warrior week?
What do burning Gnawers seek?
Just a barely speaking pup
That holds the Land of Under up

Die the baby, die his heart
Die his most essential part
Die the peace that rules the hour,
Gnawers have their key to power”
29 likes