Start by marking “The Land Leviathan” as Want to Read:
The Land Leviathan

The Land Leviathan (Oswald Bastable #2)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Out of a world in which events defy the laws of Space and Time comes Michael Moorcok's intriguing new science fiction novel-- the fantastic tale of Oswald Bastable, a man trapped forever by Time. The desperation of Bastable's bizarre fate runs deep, for an unpredictable time warp thrusts him into strange worlds, all parallel to his own, yet different. Throughout all this, ...more
Published August 16th 1974 by Doubleday & Co. (Garden City, NY) (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Land Leviathan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Leviathan

Michael
This is more of the same.

Homeboy gets transported to a new time, and he KNOWS that he's hanging around with the goodguys. Then, he gets captured by the other side, and he's belligerent--but wait! Then, he realizes that NOW he's with the REAL goodguys! Until he's stolen by someone else, and he's belligerent again, until he realizes that THIS TIME he's with the goodguys! And so on.

I think this process happens about five times over the 340 pages of the first two volumes of this series. It gets te
Tom Loock
The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance is a direct sequel to The Warlord of the Air and contrary to opinions expressed in other reviews, I think you have to read that one first.

The Oswald Bastable-series is where politics meets SF and Michael Moorcock uses these books to express his views and interpretations of ideas and ideologies. This second volume deals exclusively with racism and nationalism - a little too ham-fisted for my taste.

Again, it makes use of historic persons, in this case
Steven
It would seem that Oswald Bastable finds himself in another alternate time frame, with a world both familiar and strange insane. Now it is 1904, only a few years later than when he entered the temple of Teku Benga, yet this world has been severely devastated by futuristic military devices and biological warfare. Bastable learns that the Afro-American Black Attila has conquered virtually all the remaining lands and is determined to destroy the entire United States. This is a darker book than the ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Michael Moorcockin "Leviatan maan päällä" (Vaskikirjat, 2013) jatkaa sarjaa, joissa kerrotaan Oswald Bastablen merkillisistä matkoista vaihtoehtohistoriallisissa maailmoissa.

Kirjan alkupuolella kuvaillaan Michael Moorcockin isoisän matkaa Kiinassa, jossa hän yrittää löytää "Ilmojen sotaherrasta" tuttua Bastablea kiinalaisesta laaksosta. Hanke epäonnistuu, mutta mielikuvituksellinen käsikirjoitus päätyy jälleen hänen käsiinsä. Bastable kuvailee siinä seikkailujaan vaihtoehtohistoriallisessa vuode
Cécile C.
Quite an interesting sequel. It's still more thought experiment than novel, but it's fun to read about different versions of history with minor variations. Bastable remains a more interesting character than might be expected; he's still a conventional Victorian Englishman, but he's plausible in this context (even his stubbornness rights rather true: after all, it wouldn't be that surprising if it took more than one war to make a convinced imperialist change his views).

As a standalone, this book
David Bonesteel
Moorcock's meditation on racism and nationalism is obvious and dull. His hero, the dimension-hopping Oswald Bastable, finds himself on an earth where technological advance has unleashed man's basest, most aggressive tendencies, leading to total war on a world-wide scale. The author has plenty of opinions, but hardly a clue as to how to wrap them in a coherent storyline. A few historical personages appear, such as Gandhi as the president of a pacifist country, but they are not used in a way that ...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in March 2000.

As in the Jerry Cornelius novels, each of the Oswald Bastable series is set in a different world, an alternative vision of contemporary society. (This is accomplished by twisting a standard plot element of science fiction so that instead of time travel to different dates, Bastable travels to the same date each time with a different history connecting it to his origins in 1903.) The similarity with the Cornelius novels is increased by the way in
Charles Dee Mitchell
The Land Leviathan is the second entry in Moorcock's Nomad of Time trilogy and it suffers from sophomore-slump syndrome. The set-up is similar to Warlord of the Air, the first novel to chronicle the adventures of Oswald Bastable, faithful soldier in the British Raj who has become dislodged in time, traveling from the earliest years of the twentieth century into either the future, or in this case, into a different version of his own present. And once again, the story is presented by Michael Moorc ...more
Wayne
The Eternal Champion is Michael Moorcock's favorite subject, represented by Captain Oswald Bastable here in this excellent sequel to Warlord of the Air. I'm not versed in steampunk, but this seems a worthy entry to the genre. Alternate history, dirigibles and ironclads, even steam-powered Gatling guns; a veritable plethora of genre paraphernalia. Also featured is the woman I consider to be Moorcock's true eternal champion: Una Persson.

The formula is straightforward. Take a champion (Corum, Elri
Keely
And so the adventures of Oswald Bastable continue, thrusting him yet again through the barriers of time and into a strange Earth at once familiar and disturbing. The themes and characters we explore are similar to the first volume, featuring at the center yet another Nemo-esque warlord whose methods give our narrator uneasy pause. By the end, we find ourselves liable to agree with Mr. Bastable's suspicion that time is having a laugh at his expense, forcing him to experience history as 'variation ...more
Ian Johnston
Not having read the previous book is not a problem if you are considering picking up this book. Almost a third of the book is devoted to the narrative frame (itself a compelling enough narrative about an adventure in China). It's a fun adventure story, grim but not quite as grim as Moorcock gets. The usual themes are there (if you've read one novel by Moorcock you've practically read them all) a hero wandering, a pawn of fate, a general lack of agency on the part of the protagonist, and alternat ...more
Andrew Lasher
The second book in Moorcock's Nomad of the Time Streams trilogy picks up more or less where the first leaves off. Oswald Bastable is a time traveling, parallel universe hopping protagonist who gets to see the earth in a variety of alternate histories.

As I mentioned in my review of The Warlord of the Air, the first novel in the trilogy, this is steampunk at its finest. These books are accessible and can give readers who are new to the genre a good idea of what steampunk is without overwhelming t
John
The second in a series by Moorcock about Capt. Oswald Bastable and his travels through other earths. The books are written in the style of pulp fiction from the turn of the century as they're supposedly written by his grandfather and 'discovered' by Moorcock.

The characters are interesting and, if you didn't know otherwise, you might think by the style that it was written at the turn of the century. The stories are interesting and you can see some of the political viewpoints of the author bleed t
Jay Daze
Jan-Maat
The invention here of a form of cheap, flexible, transferable energy is the catalyst of the breakdown of all established states into a savage war of all against all in this alternative vision of the world before WWI.

Alone in Africa an idealist by the name of Gandhi has managed to create a harmonious multi-racial state while to the north a fierce empire builder - the Black Attila is intent on creating a new Ashanti Empire.
Mike (the Paladin)
I hate when we can't see the cover art...the one I remember was a large tank like vehicle.

Not one of Moorcock's stronger works. Along with Warlord of the Air this is one of MM takes on an alternate history/post apocalyptic story. Don't ask...if we get to the post apocalyptic part there has to be the change in the history.

Not bad, but if your an American or a European I hope you can take an insult...
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Excellent – maybe even better than the first book. It starts off a bit slow, but when we finally get to the meat of the story it flies.
In this book he didn’t move historic figures about so much, they were all pretty much correct in their position in time.
I loved how Moorcock reverses the racist themes of many 19th and early 20th century novels.
Another great book.
Keith
The sequel to Warlord of the Air, The Land Leviathan is, to my mind, far less interesting. It's too didactic (the subtitle, a play on H.G. Wells, is surely ironic), and the contrivance that powers the trilogy is far too creaky. I still plan to finish this up with The Steel Tsar but now I'm skeptical that the promise of the first book can be restored.
Amanda
this second book in The Nomad of Time trilogy continues pretty much from the point where The Warlord of the Air left off. Bastable once again involved in a world war, as his travels through the multiverse continue, that has devasted most of the world. Moorcock's meditations on politics and especially on racism are intense. well crafted quick action-filled read.
Old-Barbarossa
Second part of the Bastable trilogy.
More of the same, but where the 1st focused on class and the collapse of empire this one focuses on total war and racism. The 1st was big into airships, this one has a really, really big tank.
Usual suspects and Hx cameos. Sometimes the issue of race is handled clumsily.
On the whole enjoyable but not as good as part one.
Wolfgang
Not perfect, but it presents a unique alternate reality that while not functional, it appears to be a small homage to the classic science fiction writers of the early 1900s. I appreciated the ironic storyline, and main character. There are certain moments of the book that could of been better written, but a decent enough narrative.
Dan Betelmann
The first in a three-part trilogy about "time nomad" Oswald Bastable. The beginning is very atmospheric, but after the protagonist magically travels to an alternate timeline, the story bogs down and becomes almost a caricature until the final pages, where it ends inconclusively.
Erik Graff
Sep 15, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moorcock fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
An alternative future science fiction novel, the second in a series. I hadn't read the first and wasn't much impressed with this, the second. Recently I espied a paperback copy of this book, picked it up, read a few pages and found it unfamiliar. No lasting impact.
Mark Howarth
Book is ok. Did enjoy it but not one of Moorcock's best.
Chip
Last book in the three book story (as are most sci fi series) on Captain Bastable from Moorcock. I had heard that this set of the Nomad of Time was important history to the steam punk genre. Enjoyed. I think writers are much better today...
Ben Jones
I think Bastable is one of my least favourite champions, the stories are good but it's just him- he's really annoying! although i'm now a fan of Una Perrson, she reminds me of the woman in 'Princess Mononoke' thats the cheif of the town.
Amy
This was interesting. It's about time travel between various possible timelines in the 20th century. Lots to do with race relations and an armageddon-type world war. A short, quick read.
Shannon Appelcline
There's just nothing to love about this book. It's as dull and ponderous as the leviathan itself.
  • Flaming London
  • The Light Ages (The Aether Universe, #1)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Lord Kelvin's Machine
  • Morlock Night
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Island of Icarus
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Souls in the Great Machine (Greatwinter Trilogy, #1)
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Steampunk'd
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • The Clockwork Man
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)