Start by marking “Vision of Islam” as Want to Read:
Vision of Islam

Vision of Islam

Covering the four dimensions of Islam as outlined in the Hadith of Gabriel--practice, faith, spirituality, and the Islamic view of history--The Vision of Islam draws on the Koran, the sayings of the Prophet and the great authorities of the tradition. This clearly written book introduces the essentials of each dimension and then shows how each has been embodied in Islamic i ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Paragon House (first published January 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Vision of Islam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vision of Islam

Tim
Apr 07, 2014 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who seeks to understand Islam
Shelves: islam, islam-theology
Past all the modern incarnations of viewpoints on Islam, whether they come from inside the religion or outside, from fundamentalists or the esoterically minded, from atheists or those who have a conception of the Real, this book is a noble effort to delineate the deepest meanings of Islam as it was meant to be understood. To do this, the authors dive into the intellectual and spiritual history of the faith, leaving out no major area: The Qur'an, Hadith, Shariah, Sufism, philosophy, Sunni/Shia, t ...more
Mar 12, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given the majestic breadth of this book and how deep it delves into Islamic spiritual philosophy, I can't presume to 'review' it as I'm nowhere near qualified enough. I can't say I 'love' it, because it just is. It's my spiritual reference. It's my Muslim way of keeping it Real.

(Still, five stars aren't enough.)
Mina
When you are born into and live a thing for so long, it is not uncommon that among scrutinizing the details you miss the bigger picture. As a practicing Muslim, and having been so since the day I was born and my father recited the Islamic call to prayer in my ear, Islam has been at the centre of my life. When I began to study my religion academically, I never took the time to look at that singular 'bigger picture' which is most obvious to an outsider looking in. As a visual learner, I like to be ...more
Zakaria Bziker
Feb 07, 2015 Zakaria Bziker rated it it was amazing
Dense dense dense...
Mike Blyth
Mar 24, 2012 Mike Blyth rated it really liked it
Although I have lived and worked in Muslim countries, this is the first comprehensive book I have read on the subject of Islam. Rather than just sketching the basic beliefs, as is done in many shorter works, this book goes deeper. It's also very sympathetic and almost exclusively an insider's view, "emic" rather than "etic" if you like those terms.

If there is a bias, it is toward a presentation that is conciliatory to other religions. To overstate it a bit, this view says, "Although some less-in
Ayman Saeed
Oct 11, 2014 Ayman Saeed rated it it was amazing
Amazing introduction to the philosophical underpinnings behind one of the world's most recognized religions. It does a fantastic job not only in displaying the diversity of thought that informs Islamic doctrine and faith; but also in clarifying critical philosophical concepts that most people, both non Muslim and Muslim alike, have misunderstood or forgotten when attempting to understand the faith. A very easy yet highly enlightening read.
Lin Kudla
Mar 17, 2008 Lin Kudla rated it it was ok
Wordy. Very wordy. What seems like it could have been said in half the pages was drawn out. The author(s) are awesome, but tangent-driven, though I recommend the book for anyone looking to learn about the details of the traditional Islamic faith.
Aug 16, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comparative religionists, fundamentalists of all types, generally curious readers
Must-do reading. One of the best books I've read about Islam, even if it does lean to the Sufi (but hey, ain't nothin' wrong with that!).
Hatem Aly
Dec 13, 2009 Hatem Aly rated it really liked it
just to be fair I didn't "read" the book, I listened to a reading of it with commentary by Hamza Yusuf..
I'll update my review once I "read" it though..soon enough I hope
Homa
May 31, 2007 Homa rated it really liked it
Funny how I took the class last year, but am reading it now...hmm...
Reim
Aug 27, 2008 Reim rated it really liked it
A great read, comprehensive and complex. Avoids buzz words and stereotypes to uncover Islam as a system of belief, not a political identity. It details Islam from an ideological perspective without making any assumptions about the reader. Since the book was written by two scholars with experience teaching Islam as an academic subject, it has a textbook quality. Admittedly, it becomes very detailed and philosophical at times, but is divided up into very specific and readable sections. Overall, a ...more
Shamsa
Jul 31, 2015 Shamsa rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam
It was mind blowing and spiritually satisfying. I was surprised to see myself so unaware of my own religion as opposed to the authors. I gained a lot of fresh perspective and alhamdulillah a revival of faith. In summary, it is Islam, Iman and Ihsan explained in a way never imagined. There are so many gems in this book worth quoting. It makes you want to read it again to uncover the gems or perhaps reignite the analytical engine within. It makes you think and think hard. I wish I could take their ...more
Bilal
Aug 18, 2012 Bilal rated it really liked it
Very informative piece of work, and unorthodox (in comparison to other books I've read in this area). However, one has to watch out for inaccuracies, the use of extremely weak material to back up a point by the author, or even passing off non-Islamic sources as being Islamic. If you can bypass these things, there are plenty of gems within the book that gets you thinking.
Kristi
Oct 06, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing
An excellent discussion of the doctrines of faith of Islam. The authors challenge the reader by providing in depth explanations of various aspects of the doctrines of faith-- perhaps the most comprehensive lay-audience book on the subject. At the same time, the text is readable and accessible to new students of Islam.
Saad Kaif
Jan 31, 2015 Saad Kaif rated it it was amazing
Great for those looking to really understand Islam, and the human connection to God. Great perspectives, examples, analogies, etc. Really helps to visualize Islam once you follow the Hadith of Gabriel properly.

note- Definitely recommend memorizing the Hadith from the intro- it makes everything simpler.
noreen
Jun 22, 2008 noreen rated it it was amazing
Ive marked it as read but have not yet read it cover to cover in order. this is a book that ive read again and again, a few pages or a few chapters at a time over the past 6 to 7 years. ive realized now that im somewhat better equipped to understand and gain from it.
Shanta
Sep 08, 2011 Shanta rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Exploratory and maintains integrity to the letter the Koran, while acknolwedging that the final revelation exists outside of this world. These are two super smart folks who have distilled and articulated a very complex scripture for this lay person.
Zedfiras
May 07, 2010 Zedfiras rated it really liked it
Well, i did not read the book but I have listened to the amazing lectures based on the book by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf ...and it sounded very impressive.
Mar 28, 2011 Sarah marked it as to-read
This book is amazing. I learned new things from the first 2 pages. And I don't just mean facts, but paradigms. I can't wait to read the whole thing.
Shama
Jun 05, 2007 Shama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alreadyread
This is one of my favorite books on Islam. It goes into detail without being confusing. Hamza Yusuf has a CD set expanding upon some parts of the book. Both are highly recommended!
Farrell
I only read parts of this book, but most of it. I found it did a good job of displaying the religion.
Zenjulon Girtzel
Sep 07, 2013 Zenjulon Girtzel rated it really liked it
very informative, but too neutral for my liking (ie. the authors dont affirm that islam is the truth!)
Alia
Alia rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Rahayu
Rahayu rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Brooks
Brooks rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Seema Duhan
Seema Duhan rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2015
Ryan Taylor
Ryan Taylor rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Imran Akbar
Imran Akbar rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2014
Sabreen
Sabreen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
  • A Sufi Saint of the Twentieth Century: Shaikh Ahmad al-Alawi
  • Approaching the Qur'an: The Early Revelations
  • Living Islam Out Loud: American Muslim Women Speak
32012
Sachiko Murata (村田幸子, born 1943) is a professor of religion and Asian studies at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. She is a 2011 Guggenheim Fellow. (Wikipedia)
More about Sachiko Murata...