Start by marking “Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, Vol. 1 (Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This value-priced collection includes over 500 pages of classic comics!

Wonder Woman launched into the Silver Age of Comics with these tales, in which the Amazon Princess battled colorful new foes including alien dinosaurs, amoeba men, and other threats, with the mysterious Merman at her side, along with her teenaged sidekick, Wonder Girl!
Published August 22nd 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Showcase Presents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showcase Presents

Sesana
This is one huge chunk of a collection. There's a little over 500 pages of Silver Age Wonder Woman reprinted here, in black and white. To be perfectly honest, they're only worth reading for hardcore Wonder Woman fans, or fans of the Silver Age in general. It also has the first proper appearance of Wonder Girl, back when she was still just a teenaged Diana. She must have been very popular right away, as nearly every issue after her introduction had a Wonder Girl side story.
Adam Graham
In 1958, in Issue #98 Wonder Woman rebooted for the Silver Age. This book collects the first 20 issues of the Silver Age run with art by Ross Andru and stories by Robert Kanigher.

The art remains classy and fun throughout. I much prefer the style to the much more crude Wonder Woman of the golden age. One of my favorite features of Andru's art is his portrayal of Wonder Woman changing into costume, the sequence drawing is just a great touch.

I have much more mixed feelings on the stories. With Iss
Ariane
This was a chore to get through. Repetitive, cheesy, and cleaner than a Christian rock band, most of these stories involve Wonder Woman battling something huge, or some kind of duplicate of herself, or something from space. At one point she actually battles a huge duplicate of herself controlled by something from space. The original Wonder Girl - a young Diana growing up on Paradise Island - is introduced in this volume, and at first her adventures with Ronno, her "mer-boy" boyfriend, are a nice ...more
Jason Luna
Wonder Woman is rightfully treated as a transformative figure in American culture and certainly comic books, and accurately so. She really stands on her own as a female superhero who excels on her own.

That being said, this late 1950s collection of her adventures can be described as a middling success more than anything else. The biggest drawback is repetition. This is a theme that indeed repeats in all of the DC superheroes from the beginning of time up until the late 1960s. Character relationsh
Christopher Dodd
I read Showcase Presents: Justice League (vol 1) at the same as this. This book made Justice League look like a masterpiece. Kanigher is a lazy writer. He recycles the same ideas and themes over and over. The repeated themes include:

Duplicate Wonderwomen -- Robots, disguised amazons, alternate dimensions duplicates.

Giants -- From other dimensions or due to shrinkage.

Sea creatures -- This might as well been a damn Aquaman comic. The vast majority of these stories have Wonderwoman fighting invaria
Fraser Sherman
Reading the Kanigher era of Wonder Woman, I must say he gives us a stronger WW than I'd thought from occasional reprints. Wonder Woman faces off against alien invaders, foreign terrorists and the occasional super-villain while Steve keeps trying to get her to quit the crimefighting and tie the knot. In backup stories, Wonder Woman's teenage self dates a merman and protects the Amazons. Kanigher's style of super-hero story probably isn't to everyone's taste, but I had fun.
Kevinjwoods
Fascinating little slice of ancient pop culture from the time when Paradise Island had Time Travel, Spaceships, and all aspects of future technology.
The strange thing from a modern perspective is how isolated it all is, there is no mention of other superheroes and all the villains seem to be under the impression that only Wonder Woman exists in this world and that all it takes is to get rid of her and the world is for the taking. Other oddities are the many times that Wonder Woman talks directly
Amanda
I really enjoyed these classic Wonder Woman comics.. I found myself getting a little annoyed by Steve Trevor constantly calling Wonder Woman, "Angel," but other than that, I thought it was a fun read.
Mike
There is an certain charm to these preposterous yarns. The worst part? That Wonder Girl kept wasting her time on that tool Mer-Boy.
Eric
This rating was an accidental glitch in my app. I have yet to finish this.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Emilia
Emilia marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
May 19, 2015
James Matthews
James Matthews is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
Sarah Rabbit
Sarah Rabbit marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Brynn
Brynn marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
One of the most prolific writers in comics, particularly in the Silver Age. He took over scripting duties on Wonder Woman after William Moulton Marston's death, and handled the character's transition from the Golden to the Silver Age. He also created Barry Allen, the second Flash, for editor Julius Schwartz's superhero revival of 1956, as well as writing and editing DC's pioneering war titles.
His
More about Robert Kanigher...

Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman (3 books)
  • Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, Vol. 2
  • Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, Vol. 3
Showcase Presents: Phantom Stranger, Vol. 1 Showcase Presents: The Flash, Vol. 1 The Flash Chronicles, Vol. 1 The Enemy Ace Archives, Vol. 1 Showcase Presents: Enemy Ace