Start by marking “Into the Sea” as Want to Read:
Into the Sea

Into the Sea

A beautiful, compelling book about the fragile life cycle of the endangered sea turtle.
Published June 1st 2000 by Square Fish (first published August 15th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Sea

Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnellBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetRedwoods by Jason ChinA Seed Is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts AstonAn Egg Is Quiet by Dianna Hutts Aston
Best non-fiction picture books
79th out of 361 books — 119 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenUno's Garden by Graeme BaseThe Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss
"Green" Picture Books
68th out of 195 books — 104 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children interested in ocean ecology
With a gently flowing text (reminiscent of the movement of the tides, of ocean currents) Into the Sea, written by Brenda Z. Guiberson and illustrated by Alix Berenzy, traces the life of one sea turtle, from the time she hatches in a sandy beach nest, until she returns, after more than twenty years in the ocean, to the very beach where she was originally hatched, to lay her own eggs in the sand.

Both informative and engaging, Guiberson's narrative presents not only the life cycle of sea turtles, b
Lisa Vegan
Jul 10, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sea turtle lovers, those who appreciate beautiful illustrations; for environmental education
I’m reading this late for the Children's Books group’s Picture Books Club. Last month’s theme was seaside/beaches and this is one of the selected books.

The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, making brilliant use of color. They’re so reminiscent of the sea and so large, I felt as though I was right there.

I kept thinking I’d read this; it seemed so familiar, but I love sea turtles and I think I’ve read other similar books, but not this particular one.

The account is lovely, written poetically,
Kathryn
Jul 28, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Manybooks
This tells the story of a sea turtle from the moment she hatches until she returns to the beach to lay her own eggs. I thought the artwork was marvelous and loved the colors and the details; it was realistic and also attractive and inviting. I appreciated the full-circle aspect of the story and all of the details of the turtle's life such as when her shell hardens and what she likes to eat. I was also amazed to learn that the female doesn't lay her first eggs until she is twenty years old! I thi ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Nov 05, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-04-08
Into the Sea traces the life of one sea turtle, from her hatching at dawn, through her perilous journey toward a dangerous life in the sea, until she returns to the beach where she was hatched to lay her own eggs. Guiberson's sympathetic descriptive text explains many of the habits of sea turtles, allowing the young reader/listener to understand the experience of this interesting animal. Alix Berenzy's vivid illustrations enhance the reading experience by accentuating the beauty of the turtle an ...more
Dolly
Jul 04, 2011 Dolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a beautifully illustrated tale about the life cycle of a sea turtle. It's a cautionary story and the author's note at the end describes how these majestic creatures were once hunted to the brink of extinction. The story is educational, and depicts the turtle hatching from its leathery egg, all the way through returning to the beach twenty years later to lay her own nest of eggs. We loved watching the turtles in Hawaii and this book brought us back, with the gorgeous island scenery and th ...more
Amy
Apr 25, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
My sea-life loving niece did not get to listen to this story tonight (math homework had to take precedence), but I know that this is a book that she would have adored! It's a great choice for kids in the lower elementary grades. The story is good, and the illustrations are very lovely.

My nephew and I "read" this book tonight, though. He is four, and I do think that the text of this story would have been far too lengthy to hold his attention, so we just looked at the pictures and laid out the sto
Ellie
Jun 26, 2011 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ellie by: Manybooks
Beautiful book, clear well-written text that matches the lovely illustrations. Wonderful book for all children, young and older since the illustrations enhance the knowledge provided by the text. And satisfying for adults as an aesthetic experience.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Ethan's review (7 yrs old): Did this book win any awards? No? I think it should have won TWO awards, one for illustrations, and one for the words.
Ken Martin
Oct 29, 2014 Ken Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Into the Sea was such a wonderful Nonfiction book. The way that Guiberson wrote the book is a perfect way to draw children in and learn at the same time. The descriptive text explains many of the habits of sea turtles, allowing the young children to understand the experience of these intriguing animals. Using Nonfiction in the classroom is important and I would definitely use this book within a text set about animals in the ocean. The illustration done by Alix Berenzy are also just amazing and r ...more
Ashley Lahr
This book is about life of a sea turtle from when they come out of the egg. It talks about them scratching out of the leathery egg and makes its way to the water. Turtles instinctively know what to do when they are hatched. As they grow their shells get harder. Sea turtles can pull their heads and flippers in their shells for protection. Once full grown they are one of the biggest sea creatures in the sea. Then the turtles mate and the turtle goes back to land to lay her eggs.
Ruqayya Jarad
Oct 11, 2015 Ruqayya Jarad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eled-414
Into the Sea, by Brenda Z. Guiberson, Illustrated by Alix Berenzy
It is the life story of one sea turtle, from her hatching through her journey until she returns to the beach where she was hatched to lay her own eggs. The story describes her undersea environment and the danger that she has to go through. It is a great read aloud scientific literature book for older readers with beautiful pictures.

Madison Walden
Feb 23, 2016 Madison Walden rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Very descriptive writing with colorful illustrations. Tells the tale of a sea turtle and its adventure experiencing the sea for the first time. It follows the sea turtle though out her life cycle including returning to the same beach to lay her eggs. Teaches kids about the ocean and the life of the sea turtles a little bit more.
MMS Readers
Oct 13, 2014 MMS Readers rated it it was amazing
I think this book is educational if you read it.the book gives you many details about what they eat, were they live, an how they live in the wild. If you like to read non-fiction you would like this book.
Jenny Moore
Aug 06, 2014 Jenny Moore rated it it was amazing
This book teaches you about sea turtles and how they lay their eggs on the beach. Haley likes this book because she wants a turtle for a pet.
D'metria
Apr 24, 2013 D'metria rated it it was amazing
This book discusses the basic needs of the sea turtle, its predators, and the effects that the listed things has on the species itself. It is a good book for introducing animal extinction and can even lead into a class discussion about previously extinct animals, such as, dinosaurs; why do animals become extinct and how do they become extinct? I would have students discuss these questions amongst groups or as a class discussion. I would then do a read aloud of the book. I would follow up by aski ...more
Marissa Morrison
Sep 24, 2014 Marissa Morrison rated it it was amazing
Is there anything more mesmerizing than the perilous life of a sea turtle?
Billie Humphreys
May 11, 2014 Billie Humphreys rated it liked it
it was ok
Amy
Beautifully illustrated, this book makes you feel like you are scuba diving! It takes the reader right from the birth of a hatchling sea turtle through her journey in the sea. She encounters crabs, sharks and whales, to her own nest twenty years later. Great for classrooms teaching life cycles or ocean life. At the end, you'll find a description of how sea turtles have come to be endangered, as well as illustrations of different sea turtles.
Angela Kim
Dec 05, 2012 Angela Kim rated it really liked it
Into the Sea is about turtles. It talks how they survive and dangers that come across them. Children are mostly interested in turtles and they like to know facts and tell their parents. I think this book is good for children because it is factual and informative.
Stephanie
Nov 15, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful non-fiction narrative about the journey that a sea turtle takes. We use this book as a part of our non-fiction writing unit. One of the girls in my class poured over this book and is doing her report on the sea turtle.
Shanna
Dec 04, 2007 Shanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
This book teaches about the life-cycle of the sea turtle and the different journeys and challenges they endure. It contains a good mix of non-fiction in a fiction story and heightens interest while holding reader's attention.
Deanna
Sep 25, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
The life cycle of a baby turtle from the moment she hatches from an egg. To the time many years later when she is the mom laying eggs in that very same spot. A beautiful non-fiction book about the circle of life.
Theresa
Jul 27, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
specific information about a sea turtle in her life and how she survives to start the next generation of turtles
Shelli
Sep 22, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated story of the struggles a sea turtle goes through to make it to adulthood.
Daniel Ponce
Nov 05, 2013 Daniel Ponce rated it it was amazing
i think this book is cool
Cindi Haliburton
Cindi Haliburton rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Connie Lin
Connie Lin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Kiah Swanson
Kiah Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016