Start by marking “The Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War” as Want to Read:
The Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War

The Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War (The Avengers)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS Pencils & Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR. Variant by JOHN ROMITA JR. Special Variant by TBA THE HEROIC AGE IS HERE! The Avengers have assembled and the villainous Kang has revealed that they must travel to the future to save their own children from destroying the universe! Yes, the entire universe. But it will take one more Avenger to make the ...more
Published October 16th 2001 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avengers

X-Men by Chris ClaremontMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss Whedon
Best of Marvel Comics
15th out of 199 books — 78 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank MillerThe Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman
500 Essential Graphic Novels
147th out of 674 books — 419 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
Back to my youthful obsession with the Avengers (and Captain America who enters the story about half way through). This story arc, these issues begin in 1971. I was 19, still buying comics....some years later (during the Carter administration when the economy dropped even lower than it is now) I had to sell my collection.

I've got to let that go someday...sigh.

Anyway, I have snapped up some of the reprints of my favorite heroes, and here we have the story of the Skrull/Kree War. The book is a goo
Tom
OK, so this one is a little bit of a mess.

The Kree-Skrull War was probably one of the first big Marvel universe-spanning events. It's spoken of with reverence by comic readers and referenced frequently in the comics themselves. So perhaps my hopes were just too high.

The setup sounds great: two powerful intergalactic races go to war, and earth is caught in the middle! If that were actually the focus of the book, that would be cool. But it's really not. Instead, the Avengers first chase after the
Federiken Masters
Nov 26, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marvelitas
Recommended to Federiken by: Marvelitas
La guerra Kree-Skrull puede ser un comic que marcó época, pero no la mía. Me gustó mucho el nivel del dibujo en general, los pequeños episodios autoconclusivos (sobre todo el que transcurre dentro del cuerpo de La Visión) y la historia epicosa que recorre todo el tomo, pero se me hizo algo larga y con diálogos que se pasan de rimbombantes, aunque sean mil veces mejor que cualquiera pavada que pueda llegar a escribir yo.
El final, una enorme apología del potencial infinito de la mente humana y a l
Miik
Beautiful to look at, but bogged down by overly weighty writing.
joao
Wouldn't know how this looks like in tradepaperback form because I read a 1985 two-issue reprint. Neal Adams has been returning to the comics he made famous, writing and pencilling a new Batman maxi-series, and an Avengers "point one" issue. His style is now looser and moved towards the hyperrealist, with exaggerated jaws, melting faces, and a strange attention to teeth detail. Perhaps using flat color for 70s artists sounds like giving them a pass (though they do it for retro guys like Javier P ...more
Erik Herz
I confess that it was not until Civil War that I became interested in anything beyond the X-Men at Marvel. I'd always been aware of the other half of the line, but nothing had really drawn me in. Since then I have been riding the Bendis train and thoroughly enjoying the ride. Through this period I had very limited exposure to the 'classic' Avenger's stories that forged everyone else's enthusiasm for the series. The Kree-Skrull War is (by name) one of the arcs that has always felt like a must rea ...more
Mike
Featuring the work of such Avengers legends as Roy Thomas, Neal Adams and the Buscema brothers, The Kree/Skrull War of the most important stories in Avengers/Marvel history. From its classic artwork to the soap opera action to the character interaction at work amongst the team (especially the Vision and Scarlet Witch), much of what makes a "classic" Avengers story is at work here. When two alien races open up a new battleground in their ongoing interstellar conflict, it's up to Earth's Mightiest ...more
Safraz
Classic Avengers story, and with very good reason: it's great. The dialogue and some of the events are a bit hammy at times by modern standards (Iron Man at one point whips out a pair of rollerskates from the bottom of his boots), but that's a minor complaint. If, like me, you've picked up bits and pieces of Avengers history over the years but haven't actually read many of those older stories, this volume is a great story to check out. You see the beginnings of a lot of things that would become ...more
Sineala
Well, this was... deeply, deeply 70s. I guess I should have expected that. (Come on, Hank's ants are seriously named Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Oh God.)

The whole thing was kind of unfocused and snapped back and forth between cosmic stuff and Earth stuff and I get what they were going for with the Alien Activities Commission but maybe this is one of those things it would have been better to handle with a little more subtlety.

I did like Tony fighting the Mandroids on rollerskates, though. Whoop who
Steven
Amid much declamatory dialogue (always fun to read out loud) the circuitous story lurches around, periodically remembering the intergalactic war of the title (and indeed it is intergalactic -- the Skrulls hail from Andromeda, the Kree from The Kree Galaxy, and humans from the Milky Way. That's one big theater of war, man!) Also, the original comics hail from Marvel's heyday of mad tech when a ship from SHIELD's orbital base could have Thor strapped to it to send it to the next galaxy over. Oh, a ...more
Travis
One of the classic big events from Marvel's past. What's cool is that for most of the story the Avengers are just on the fringe of the actual war and have no idea what's going on until later. Nice change of pace.

It is a bit haphazard, as the title played musical artists ( though, luckily, both were great artists) and Roy Thomas seems to be trying to tie up several loose story threads at the same time he's writing the Kree/Skrull war, so he had a tendency to lose track of what was happening and p
Moonglum
A wonderfully wacky, weird tale of convoluted cosmic daring-do.

Great quotes:

"For as you guessed, I am not Mr. Fantastic, but a Skrull, one of the first few ever to land upon this pitiful planet. We disguised ourselves as the fantastic four to abet our conquest of your world, but captured, we were hypnotized by Reed Richards into believing we were a trio of cattle, and thus we grazed for long, untold months until a Skrull hyperbeam from space revived us."

"But now you can see that he was not alon
Glenn
Low marks for this contemporary comic book era. In its day, sure, ground-breaking. But, by today's storytelling standards, this one is ridiculous at every turn. Events and their resolutions flew sidelong at my sensibilities. I enjoyed this old Avengers run as story archaeology. Brian Michael Bendis took the basic premises of this story and transformed it for today's audience in "Secret Invasion."
VAle
preso in biblioteca

Lo so, un giudizio così lapidario non si addice a un "classicone" Marvel come questo.
Ma è più forte di me.
Preso in biblioteca, soprattutto per colmare una delle mie lacune nella continuty, mi sono lanciata nella lettura con molte aspettative. Ok, sapevo già che i disegni e i testi sarebbero stati molto "old style" e, come ho già ripetuto molte volte, faccio davvero fatica ad apprezzarli, ma i continui riferimenti a fatti e personaggi precedenti alla vicenda mi hanno smorzato d
Aaron Blaine
It was an okay story, although you could tell it has aged a bit.
Shannon Appelcline
I suspect that this was an entirely phenomenal arc at the time, with nearly a year’s worth of stories culminated in the Avengers’ first (?) trip to the far reaches of the galaxy and their involvement in a galactic war. It’s also full of terrific ideas, such as the idea of the Kree and the Skrull as dead races and (of course) the trip inside the Vision. Mind you, it has flaws as well. I’m not thrilled with the Jones ex machina ending, and I think it’s a bit slow by modern standards. Still: good s ...more
Christopher
The art was stellar, and the concept of a huge clash between the Kree and the Skrull that pulls in the Avengers, the Inhumans, wonderful ties to Marvel history, and quirky cameos by Annihilus was promising. The story execution fell short for me though. The epic set up didn't fully deliver, and the Rick Jones culmination seems like a brilliant idea that should have been the start of a longer story, not an out of left field finale to this one.
Jordan Lahn
Awfully hard to get through these old comics. Everything is painfully drawn out with long winded dialogue, particularly during action scenes when every time someone uses their powers they have to explain that they are using their powers. I wanted to read this to find out what happened in one of the most frequently referenced Marvel story, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype, at least not in this modern era.
Craig a.k.a Meatstack
Came upon reading this by accident, and I'm glad I did. I've always been interested in the Marvel mythos, and especially interested in the back stories. This graphic novel helped to help me to understand how they got to where they are.

This was written in a very 70's "golden age of Marvel" style - over the top narration and dialog, but knowing that going into it you can enjoy it for what it is.

Michael
I'd heard for a long time that this was the greatest Avengers story ever. I enjoyed it, but it's certainly not the greatest. Adams' art is exceptional but the story takes a little bit too long to develop, Roy Thomas' dialogue makes me cringe, and the ending floats between contrivance and deus ex machina.

But it's comics! True, but I judge other comics by the same standards, too!
Jeral Rivarola
No me malinterpreten, estoy seguro de que es un clásico, pero yo no lo leí en su momento (aún no nací) ni tampoco de niño, y la forma en que está escrito y dibujado me parecen muy añejos, a mí que estoy acostumbrado al "decompressive storytelling" y al dibujo moderno.

Aún así, espero poder presentárselo a mis hijos en su momento. Iron Man en rollers, vamos, no soy de piedra.
John
What I like least about many Marvel comics is the overwriting that goes into it. This one was a key example this. The constant desire to make sure that everything is cross-indexed and noted throughout the book really bogs down the plot. Sometimes it makes me want to scream "shut up Stan Lee and let me read the damn book!"
Christopher Ryan
Roy Thomas,Neal Adams, Buscema; these were my heroes growing up. And this is part of Thomas' legendary run on Avengers. A must see, warts and all.
Ben
Some pretty sweet Neal Adams art, especially with the Vision, who has one of the coolest looks for a superhero ever. Some great over-the-top narrative by Roy Thomas that makes me lament the decline of the narrative boxes in recent comics.
Brian
I am not a fan of most comics from before 1995. I read this to get the back history on marvel's secret invasion and just to know about it. It was ok I guess, but again, not a big fan of the old styles.
Mike Keskeys
Classic storyline, finally had the chance to read it. Some fantastic Neal Adams art towards the end, classic Marvel, and it inadvertently set up so much of later happenings in the Marvel Universe.
Josh
The first ever Avengers mega-arc is a classic for a reason. The artwork in "This Beachhead Earth" is among the most celebrated in comic history!
Allen
Supposedly a 'classic of the Marvel canon - instead it's an over-written, poorly plotted historical book which shows it's age. A shame.
Matt Springer
Interesting as an early example of a Marvel cosmic story; the last few issues really deliver. Amazing early Neal Adams art.
Andres Pasten
Tenia otra expectativa al empezar a leerla. Podria haber sido mucho mejor, pero lo que imporra: ¿QUE PASO CON GOLIATH?
  • Avengers Legends, Vol. 1: Avengers Forever
  • Essential Tomb of Dracula, Vol. 1
  • Thor: Ages of Thunder
  • The Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos
  • Fantastic Four: The End
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden A ...more
More about Roy Thomas...

The Avengers (1 - 10 of 117 books)
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 1
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 7
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 8
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 9
  • Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Vol. 10
Dracula (Marvel Illustrated) The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1 Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 2 The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories