Start by marking “Once Upon a Time in War: The 99th Division in World War II” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time in War: The 99th Division in World War II

Once Upon a Time in War: The 99th Division in World War II (Campaigns and Commanders #18)

For the soldier on the front lines of World War II, a lifetime of terror and suffering could be crammed into a few horrific hours of combat. This was especially true for members of the 99th Infantry Division who repelled the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge and engaged in some of the most dramatic, hard-fought actions of the war.

Once Upon a Time in War presents a stirrin
Published September 1st 2008 by University of Oklahoma Press

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time in War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time in War

KOMET
About a month ago, I purchased this book from a local bookstore. Here is a story which serves as a perfect combination of a history of one of the U.S. Army's infantry divisions that was sent to Europe in late 1944 after the conclusion of the Normandy campaign, and combat memoir.

The author, a university professor, interviewed many of the surviving veterans of the 99th, whose stories capture so much of the impact the war had upon them directly, as well as its effects (albeit tangentially) on Amer
A.L. Sowards
Jul 10, 2015 A.L. Sowards rated it it was amazing
This book covers the 99th Infantry Division through training, shipment overseas, and their campaigns as part of the Battle of the Bulge, crossing the Rhine, and closing the Ruhr pocket. It then covers their role as part of the occupation force and their return to the US. In addition to campaign narrative, the book includes chapters on POWs and everyday life for a front-line soldier.

The 99th was made up of long-time army sergeants, recent draftees, and former ASTPers. (ASTP=Army Special Training
Carol
Jan 16, 2010 Carol is currently reading it
This book is about the U.S. Army 99th division, which my father was in during World War II. Since Dad rarely talked about any of his war experiences, I am learning a lot about what he went through while overseas by reading this book. It was written based on interviews of hundreds of WWII vets, including Dad, by a journalism professor in California, Dr. Robert Humphrey. He tells about the war according to the infantrymen on the ground, rather than the generals and historians, and gives their pers ...more
Irene Adler
Dec 26, 2013 Irene Adler rated it it was amazing
This is a very accurate portrayal of what these guys went thourgh,not the strategy and tactic of the brass but the guys who were the ones in the mud and gore. My father was in the 99th and I went to many an army reunion for M Company my dad's outfit. As my dad used to say these guys are more like brothers to me than my own brothers. But for all the reunions and talk that went on I learned more about what they actually went through in the fist 20 pages than what my father ever told me. Thank you ...more
Doug Gordon
Jan 09, 2014 Doug Gordon rated it it was amazing
Echoing what other reviewers have said, I read this book mainly because my father was in the 99th and never said much about his experiences other than some sanitized "adventure" stories when we were kids. I'm still not sure exactly what he did over there, but this book certainly lets me in on what he went through and what he saw. It's no wonder he never talked about it!
Nov 04, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing
A brutally honest & graphic depiction of men in training and in war. It is so obvious after reading this why so many veterans would not talk of their time in service. It's real. My wife's father was in this unit. He was a wonderful father and husband despite his experience.
Lauren
Nov 14, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
This book gave an excellent account of the 99th, and helped me understand the experiences my grandfather had but never talked about from his time in the 394th infantry, Co. C.
Lucy
Lucy rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Matt Jto
Matt Jto rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Jecamp1
Jecamp1 rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2012
 Dr. Michael Galvin
Dr. Michael Galvin rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2009
Tim Cullinane
Tim Cullinane rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Johnny Dumas
Johnny Dumas rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Iain
Iain rated it it was ok
Oct 02, 2016
D. E. Hill
D. E. Hill rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2017
Orbiting
Orbiting rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Christopher Freitas
Christopher Freitas rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Peter Simons
Peter Simons rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
JOHN P TURNER
JOHN P TURNER rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2014
Louis Pofi
Louis Pofi rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2016
Myles Hunt
Myles Hunt rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
Jeff Cherpeski
Jeff Cherpeski rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Chason
Chason marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2009
Michael marked it as to-read
May 06, 2009
Chickadee
Chickadee marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Corey Flynn
Corey Flynn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2012
Abby Jones
Abby Jones is currently reading it
Mar 27, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Elle
Elle added it
May 27, 2013
Paul Reichman
Paul Reichman marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Pete
Pete is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2013
Sassy Fokker
Sassy Fokker marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Sagagirl
Sagagirl marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Francisco Javier
Francisco Javier marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Michele Wagner thiemann
Michele Wagner thiemann marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Sissyt
Sissyt added it
Apr 27, 2014
happy
happy marked it as to-read
Mark Mortensen
Mark Mortensen marked it as to-read
Nooilforpacifists
Nooilforpacifists marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dj
Dj marked it as to-read
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Keith Buechler
Keith Buechler marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Atajr
Atajr marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Art
Art marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014

Campaigns and Commanders (1 - 10 of 59 books)
  • Napoleon and Berlin: The Franco-Prussian War in North Germany, 1813
  • Morning Star Dawn: The Powder River Expedition and the Northern Cheyennes, 1876
  • Washita: The U.S. Army and the Southern Cheyennes, 1867–1869
  • Bayonets in the Wilderness: Anthony Wayne's Legion in the Old Northwest
  • The Uncivil War: Irregular Warfare in the Upper South, 1861-1865
  • Blue Water Creek and the First Sioux War, 1854–1856
  • Never Come to Peace Again: Pontiac's Uprising and the Fate of the British Empire in North America
  • Blood in the Argonne: The “Lost Battalion” of World War I