Start by marking “Searching for Fannie Quigley: A Wilderness Life in the Shadow of Mount McKinley” as Want to Read:
Searching for Fannie Quigley: A Wilderness Life in the Shadow of Mount McKinley

Searching for Fannie Quigley: A Wilderness Life in the Shadow of Mount McKinley

2008 WILLA Literary Awards finalist

At the age of 27, Fannie Sedlacek left her Bohemian homestead in Nebraska to join the gold rush to the Klondike. From the Klondike to the Tanana, Fannie continued north, finally settling in Katishna near Mount McKinley. This woman, later known as Fannie Quigley, became a prospector who staked her own claims and a cook who ran a roadhouse
Published June 5th 2007 by Swallow Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Fannie Quigley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Fannie Quigley

Heidi Busch
Aug 23, 2014 Heidi Busch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
While I enjoyed the parts of the book that were about Fannie Quigley, I thought the author spent too much time on how mining for gold was done in Alaska. I realized toward the end, as the author stated that not too much had been actually written about Fannie. In trying to stay true to the real story of her life the author chose to not spend too much time on legendary stories. In the long run this probably would have pleased Fannie Quigley who doesn't seem the type of person who wants to be remem ...more
Christine
Dec 21, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
I was fascinated by Fannie Quigley, a pioneerwoman who lived in the remote Alaskan backcountry in the early 1900s, when I visited Denali National Park earlier this year. This book provides as many details as are known about her life and story. The takeaway: Though she worked so hard (hunting and dressing her own food, cutting wood, etc.) she never really got to enjoy the fruits of her labor. It was almost like working was all she knew—and she didn't realize she could stop and enjoy her old age.
Trish Levora
Feb 26, 2013 Trish Levora rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most "REAL" books I've read, and I've read hundreds of wilderness biographies. There wasnt any romanticizing or glossing over in this rock hard woman's life, she was tough as nails! Her story is inspiring for those who have survived abuse and conquered or can conquer the mountains in their lives. Hers were real mountians, real guns, real work! She was one hellava woman!
Christine
I might have enjoyed this book more if I had taken the title more seriously. I expected a biography but the book was about searching for information and what Fannie's life might have been like. There were quotes and certain facts that were VERY overused. Fannie Quigley lived an amazing life and I enjoyed the small part of the book that was actually about her life.
Erica
Aug 01, 2007 Erica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in alaska history, representations of "pioneer" & gold rush women
still early in my reading, but i'm impressed with haigh's dedication to historical detail, and the bibliography is exciting! excellent historical photos of the denali/kantishna area. more to come...
Catherine Riley
I read this book after returning from an Alaska trip. You need to have been there to enjoy this read. Fannie was a tough woman, when you can see where she lived in Alaska
Catherine
Sally Kendrick
Jan 22, 2012 Sally Kendrick rated it liked it
Interesting book on the nature of those early settlers of Alaska and the inner strength they had. Fairly interesting although as I read I knew I would never be one of those adventurers.
Breean
Mar 10, 2011 Breean rated it it was ok
Could use more story. Was looking for inspirational pioneer woman story.
Cynthia Wheelehan
Cynthia Wheelehan rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Fat Girls Hiking
Fat Girls Hiking marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Dwight Croy
Dwight Croy rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Karin Flint
Karin Flint is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Beth Koehler
Beth Koehler is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
J Wahl
J Wahl added it
Jan 16, 2016
CS Pine
CS Pine rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Jen Stutesman
Jen Stutesman marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Judy McDowell
Judy McDowell rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Patricia Hanes
Patricia Hanes marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Alpinelily
Alpinelily rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Margery
Margery marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Fredrickson Jolene
Fredrickson Jolene rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Barbara Bristow
Barbara Bristow rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014