Start by marking “Coriander the Contrary Hen” as Want to Read:
Coriander the Contrary Hen

Coriander the Contrary Hen

Coriander is a contrary, stubborn hen, with a mind of her own. When she decides to plant herself in the middle of the road causing a chaotic traffic jam of cars, trucks, and buses, Farmer Bucket and Mrs. Bucket can't get Coriander to budge. Little Fanny Bucket finally uses a bit of reverse psychology to get her way. But will Coriander have the last laugh?
Published April 1st 2007 by Carolrhoda Books (first published December 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Coriander the Contrary Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coriander the Contrary Hen

Cheryl
Aug 21, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Oh I wish the youtube reader would slow down and show the pictures better, but the glimpses I got were a hoot. And the climax is predictable for adults, but still a kick for kids. And... the very end is delicious, perhaps controversial, but most readers will giggle with glee.
Bethany Mcguirk
Oct 19, 2014 Bethany Mcguirk rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Chaconas, D. (2009). Coriander the Contrary Hen. Minneapolis, MN: Carolrhoda Books.

Tumblebooks
LOV

This is a humorous tale about a hen that just does not want to comply with anybody’s requests. Coriander repeatedly ignores others, and eventually, the other characters discover that if they tell her to do the opposite of what they want her to do, then she will comply. My favorite part about the pictures is that they are not completely static; the small movements in the images really help to capture
Amy
Sep 13, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Chaconas, D. & Carrington, M. (2009). Coriander the Contrary Hen. Tumbleweed Press.

Tumblebook

Coriander the Contrary Hen doesn't want to cooperate. She makes a nest right in the middle of the road and refuses to move, causing a substantial traffic jam. Finally one clever girl tells Coriander NOT to move out of the road and NOT to return to the hen house. Coriander does, and true to form, shoos all the other hens out of the coop. Colorfully and humorously illustrated with lots of repetition,
Oct 01, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Bright, colorful illustrations add to this story about conflicting desires which has a fun twist at the end. The use of sound words, repetition of words, a repeated rhyming phrase, and nice execution of Aristole's approach to plot make for a wonderful picture book that is perfect for repeat reads.
Dolly
Aug 28, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with children
This is a humorous tale about a chicken who goes against everything anyone wants her to do. Sounds like our girls at times... The narrative is short and fun to read aloud. And the colorful illustrations complement the story nicely. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Karen
Feb 28, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I see a lot of myself in old Coriander, who wants to be contrary about everything she's told. I just wish I could act on it like she does! And, I've come to the conclusion that any picture book concerning a chicken is hilarious. This one just proves my point :)
Dawn
Nov 28, 2015 Dawn rated it really liked it
Funny story! We had a good discussion about what contrary means and people that are contrarians. Prior to reading it I asked if they knew what it meant. Some had a bit of an idea. After we read it we talked about it again and the ideas were pretty strong then because there are so many examples in the story.

Who would have ever thought a chicken could be a contrarian?!

We read this book on Tumblebooks.

Juliana Lee
Coriander never listens and does just the opposite of what she's told. Then one day she decides to build her nest in the middle of the road stopping all traffic. Farmer and Mrs. Bucket can't get her to go back into the henhouse, but little Fanny Bucket has the solution... tell Coriander that she should stay where she is and not listen to what others tell her to do. Immediately, Coriander picks up her things and returns to the henhouse!
Traci Bold
Apr 14, 2016 Traci Bold rated it liked it
Coriander is quite the tart little hen. As cute as this story is, I think Coriander should have gotten taught a lesson in manners at the end.

Gives a good lesson on how to deal with contrary people though and it is quite fun to read.

Written by Dori Chaconas, illustrated by Marsha Gray Carrington. Published by CarolRhoda Books.
#PB #farmanimals
Amy Harris
Dec 09, 2014 Amy Harris rated it liked it

Tumblebook

Sherie
Jun 09, 2008 Sherie rated it really liked it
The reverse psychology used on the hen works great with children too!
Ashley Aolani Salisbury
Ashley Aolani Salisbury rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 31, 2016
Jesus
Jesus rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Mark Fehlandt
Mark Fehlandt rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Dec 20, 2015
Duncan Liles
Duncan Liles rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Zara
Zara is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Ansaya
Ansaya marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Victoria Lebron
Victoria Lebron marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Dori Chaconas learned story pacing from an early age while entertaining her younger siblings. The author of such picture books as ON A WINTRY MORNING, ONE LITTLE MOUSE, and MOMMA, WILL YOU?, she lives in Germantown, Wisconsin.
More about Dori Chaconas...