Start by marking “The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection
Preview

The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror #16 - year 2003)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  10 reviews
For more than a decade, readers have turned to The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror to find the most rewarding fantastic short stories. Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling continue their critically acclaimed and award-winning tradition with another stunning collection of stories. The fiction and poetry here is culled from an exhaustive survey of the field, nearly four dozen stor ...more
Published August 29th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror

Zorena
The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror

I've always liked short stories. They are a great way to fit in a good read when reading time is limited or you just want a tasty morsel you can finish quickly. The whole problem with them is balance. Considering I grabbed this by mistake, thinking it was a fantasy, sci fi mix and not horror, it turned out a lot better and more balanced than a lot of anthologies I have read.

That might have to do with the editors. Datlow and Whitling have done not only a fine jo
Joe
This is probably one of the most enjoyable out of all the volumes by Datlow and Windling. The stories I enjoyed were:

Egyptian Avenue - Kim Newman
Details - China Mieville
The Pagodas of Ciboure - M. Shayne Bell - Quiet French magical realism.
The Coventry Boy - Graham Joyce - Joyce is always thought provoking. His ghost stories are so emotional they seem to inhabit a world of their own.
The Green Word - Jeffrey Ford - I keep telling you Jeffrey Ford is a genius. This is probably the best fantasy st
Donald
The short story form gets, like, no attention what-so-ever. Which is really sad. I think more people would read more often if the industry would only shine more light on the venue. It could expand readership in larger works by way of temptation.

In this collection I read stories I might never have seen. Every one of these deserves to be read. The list of writers alone should be enough to prompt one to pick this collection: Ramsey Campbell, Brian Hodge, Elizabeth Hand, Bentley Little, Neil Gaiman.
S. L.
A great deal of horror, sex, and magical realism, but not too much traditional fantasy - maybe two stories would qualify. There are some brilliant five star stories in here, but as a whole, it's not very interesting.
Scott
hit and miss like any anthology but a little bit on the pretentious side (natch; it's someone's idea of The Best) for my tastes. Still some gems in and amongst the pages. 'The Prospect Cards' is one of the best Lovecraftian style stories I've read in a bit and there were a couple of Neil Gaiman stories the are worth reading. And a disturbing story about words....
Joe
I will add a more detailed review later, but I just wanted to say this is my favorite out of all these volumes, and I've read over a dozen of them. Christopher Fowler, Brian Hodge, and Caitlin Kiernan are all noteworthy for writing truly extraordinary short fiction. Which is an art form that sadly gets much less attention than it used to.
Misty
These stories are so amazing. The first one still has my head swimming. I love to pick one of these up this time of year, because I never have much time to read. The short story format is so easy to read one when you have a few minutes.
Kayleen
Read: Pages from a journal found in a shoebox left in a greyhound bus somewhere between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Louisville, Kentucky, Neil Gaiman.

A strange little tale told in diary form.
bluetyson
Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Edition by Terri Windling (2003)
Lucianna Mee
Lorena
Lorena marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 27, 2015
Patrick Ferguson
Patrick Ferguson marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Little
Little marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Leah Weir
Leah Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Phallus Nocturne
Phallus Nocturne marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Anne S
Anne S marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Rabbit
Rabbit marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jacquelyne
Jacquelyne marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Faery
  • Best New Horror 17 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #17)
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror, 2010 Edition
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delecacies, #2)
  • Dark Faith
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection
  • Sudden Fiction (Continued): 60 New Short-Short Stories
  • The Fair Folk
  • The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...
Snow White, Blood Red Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy Lovecraft Unbound The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm Black Heart, Ivory Bones