Start by marking “Promises to Keep (Gaian Stories #1)” as Want to Read:
Promises to Keep (Gaian Stories #1)

Promises to Keep (Gaian Stories #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  583 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the distant future, with Earth near barren and men willing to commit to marriage almost non-existent, a group of young women leave to find husbands in the Outer Colonies. On their way they're hijacked by men from a rebel planet called Gaia.

Published June 15th 2005 by New Concepts Publishing (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Promises to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises to Keep

SubterraneanCatalyst
I suck at reviews but here it is:

This is one of the guilty pleasure items I've been speeding through for the past week. I did enjoy this little book but the more critical readers out there will find the book annoying if they do not subscribe to the any means to the HEA end practice.

This is a likeable book with a relatively likeable female protagonist and a very enjoyable male love interest. The sci fi factor/setting is fun if dystopian. My biggest critique of the story is that everything is very
Monique Atgood
May 11, 2012 Monique Atgood rated it it was amazing
Imagine Earth is England, and Gaia is the US just after the revolutionary war.

During the war, Earth hit a key target on Gaia and killed most of the females on the planet. So....... Gaia needs women!

This story revolves around a obstetrician, who decides to try her luck with husband hunting on the colony worlds. The ship of ‘mail order brides’ is hijacked by the Gaians, and the hundreds of brides are offered a choice. Instead of shipping out to the primitive frontier colonies, marry a Gaian man!
Fedora
Jan 12, 2011 Fedora rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really torn between giving this two stars and one star. The only books with one star I have so far are those that I didn't finish - and I did manage to finish this one. But I think that was only because (1) it was quite short; and (2) there was a sort of horrified fascination in keeping going.

The story is straightforward - cardboard-cut-out-character A and cardboard-cut-out-character B are to fall in love with one another and live happily ever after. Unfortunately for me, that's all this story i
Chappy
Just OK...

Sarah and a few hundred women leave Earth to go find husbands in the Outer Colonies. What they don't expect is to be intercepted by the Gaian who just happen to need women...pretty big coincidence if you ask me.

The Gaians can only mate or "attach" to one compatible woman at a time. So if they have no match they literally can't have sex (that's gotta suck the big one). The whole matching ceremonies were kind of cool if a little far-fetched.

When Sarah finds her match, she's astounded bec
SheLove2Read
Aug 31, 2013 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Not quite 4 stars. I loved the setting and the idea behind the storyline. The hero was fab-u-lous! I liked the heroine too but I honestly wanted to strangle her at the end!! Good series I will continue.
Sarah Bronte Rodgers
this sweet Xanadu romantic lyric describe perfectly well how Garran feels when he knows that Sarah decide to leave him and never go back:

Why do I say
Don't walk away
You'll be the way you were before
When you don't want me anymore

Don't turn around
Don't ever leave
A lonely room where empty days
Are gathering to meet me when you're

Sonny/Muses:
Gone, gone

Sonny:
How in the world will I go on

All you gotta do is stay

All you gotta do is stay

Don
Talltree
Jun 19, 2015 Talltree rated it liked it
Jamie
Jun 18, 2012 Jamie rated it liked it
Recommended to Jamie by: Mara
This is a very cute story with likable characters in a space setting. It's just a little too light on the sci-fi for me. I would have loved to read more building of the sci-fi aspects. Some commas would have been nice too ... I hate when I'm in the middle of something good and what I'm reading doesn't make sense - until the mental comma gets put in. The story was interesting, there was certainly enough romance and intrigue to keep me reading. Yet, it's a fairly light read as well.
Brutally Honest
- What are Gaians?

Why are they at war with humans? Where did they come from?

- Heroine starts out really promising, smart, had her own opinion, etc. But the ending... and all her seesawing back and forth... omg. Wanted to throw her off a cliff!

- Hero is supposedly going to put his best foot forward in order to win the heroine over, even if she's an "Earth woman". But I was not convinced! He had those hangups against humans until the end of the book and I'm not actually convinced they were resolve
Wyrdness
A very boring 2 star read for me. Nothing really happened and the romance was hampered by a number of painfully contrived "misunderstandings" that served no purpose other than to fill needless pages, bore me to tears and to gradually make me come to hate the characters involved. Couldn't stand Garran because he was so uncomfortably cloying and became ever more pushy in his demands for sex, and Sarah was just so bloody indecisive all the time and determined not to love him.

Also the setting was t
Mara
Jan 06, 2012 Mara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, futuristic
If you like vanilla reading, you'll probably like this book. There's nothing wrong with it, simply it's not my cup. Everything is smooth, the hero is so perfect, the heroine his perfect mate (and virgin to boot). The world is divided between the Good and the Bad, governments lie and friends meddle.

If you know a clique in romance, it'll probably be here. It doesn't mean it's a bad story, it wasn't good for me. It's like drinking lager, when you usually go for a trappiste or a stout.
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2007, scifi_fan
An interesting scifi romance. The future society is well thought out and detailed enough that there aren't any big questions. The romance between Sarah and Garran is the focus, but the the other romances and assassin subplot round out the story quite well. I'm definitely going to be looking for other books by this author.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book had a great story line and characters. I loved the way the Gianas took the Earth females and how they were paired. But no good love scenes.
Apr 13, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
A little bit of a conflicting story. Earth had been at war with the Gaian's and all during the war they(earth's leaders) would broadcast the messages sent to them from the Gaian's general. Fast forward to the end of the war, none(or very few) of the men on Earth are willing to commit to marriage, so when the opportunity comes to find husband's else where Sarah and several other women take the change. That chance however leads them straight to General Garran and the Gaian men who are looking for ...more
Nikki
Jan 08, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Good story, likeable characters, solid depth in supporting characters. Worthwhile read:-)
Jan
Oct 20, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Verodarling Melani
Jun 28, 2015 Verodarling Melani rated it liked it
This would have been a 4 stars for me if not for that absolutely stupid reason why Sarah "couldn't love" Garran. It didn't make sense and seemed just the author's way of creating unnecessary angst. Well, if she wanted to create angst, she failed, it was just annoying and it ruined the story for me.
Claudia
Jan 24, 2015 Claudia rated it really liked it

Gaian men can only make love to a woman they match and Dr. Sarah Johnson turns out to be the match for the most hated Gaian of all, General Garran Doranth. To keep their promises, these two must look beyond what they think they know and learn to trust what t
Candice
Jul 12, 2015 Candice rated it liked it
It was fascinating in a lot of ways. The different cultures & the "attachment" were interesting. It dragged a lot though. I'd read other in the series, but I hope the other books are faster paced.
Bookbaby
Jan 08, 2014 Bookbaby rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica
Nice book to curl up with. Story and characters were well fleshed out although I had a little trouble pairing up the heroines characteristics of together 'go getter' with someone who'd meekly agree to 'bond' with someone she'd never seen. Loved the premiss that that the Gaians defeated the nasty earth people without bloodshed, some very clever technology included in the book.
I'd buy the next one in the series, and I think that's the best recommendation anyone can give.
Shaune
Mar 08, 2015 Shaune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Great characters and good storyline.
Cheesecake
I was really enjoying this one, but just when you think they will get together there's all this silliness about dream...blah blah blah.
But it was great til then. I just found the story lost it's momentum at that point.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Midnighthour31
Midnighthour31 marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Rachel Ma
Rachel Ma rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Elizabeth Gukeisen
Elizabeth Gukeisen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
What's The Name o...: Alien Romance - Mars Needs Women type of book [s] 8 231 Jun 16, 2013 03:52AM
  • When Dawn Breaks (Satrins, #1)
  • Hunter's Moon (Hunters, #1)
  • One Thousand Brides (Star Brides, #1)
  • Shadower (Shielder #2 )
  • Ride the Stars (Drac Duology, #1)
  • Conquest: Earth
  • Romulus (Innerworld Affairs, #1)
  • Captured
  • Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)
  • The Challenge (Rystani #1)
  • Born (B Cubed #1)
  • Katieran Prime (Katieran Prime, #1)
  • Arena Station (Champions of Terra, #1)
  • Beyond the Rain (Realms Beyond, #1)
During the weekday Janet is a mild-mannered software engineer who writes code and design documents. At night and on weekends she turns to the creation of offbeat stories about imaginary pasts, presents, and futures. But no matter when or where the story happens, there will always be some adventure, some humor, and meaning to the tale. For Cerridwen she's writing a new line of parafolk tales about ...more
More about Janet Miller...

Gaian Stories (6 books)
  • The Girl in the Box (Gaian Stories 1.2)
  • A Promise Made (Gaian Stories #1.5)
  • Beloved Enemy (Gaian Stories #2)
  • Beloved Traveler (Gaian Stories #3)
  • Beloved Stranger  (Gaian Stories #4)