Promises to Keep (Gaian Stories #1)

Promises to Keep (Gaian Stories #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In the distant future, with Earth near barren and men willing to commit to marriage almost non-existent, a group of young women leave to find husbands in the Outer Colonies. On their way they're hijacked by men from a rebel planet called Gaia.

Gaian men can only make love to a woman they match and Dr. Sarah Johnson turns out to be the match for the most hated Gaian of all,...more
Published June 15th 2005 by New Concepts Publishing (first published 2004)

SubterraneanCatalyst -Censorship is for the Weak
I suck at reviews but here it is:

This is one of the guilty pleasure items I've been speeding through for the past week. I did enjoy this little book but the more critical readers out there will find the book annoying if they do not subscribe to the any means to the HEA end practice.

This is a likeable book with a relatively likeable female protagonist and a very enjoyable male love interest. The sci fi factor/setting is fun if dystopian. My biggest critique of the story is that everything is very...more
Monique Atgood
Imagine Earth is England, and Gaia is the US just after the revolutionary war.

During the war, Earth hit a key target on Gaia and killed most of the females on the planet. So....... Gaia needs women!

This story revolves around a obstetrician, who decides to try her luck with husband hunting on the colony worlds. The ship of ‘mail order brides’ is hijacked by the Gaians, and the hundreds of brides are offered a choice. Instead of shipping out to the primitive frontier colonies, marry a Gaian man!...more
Fedora
Sherri needs a twin
Not quite 4 stars. I loved the setting and the idea behind the storyline. The hero was fab-u-lous! I liked the heroine too but I honestly wanted to strangle her at the end!! Good series I will continue.
Sarah Bronte Rodgers
this sweet Xanadu romantic lyric describe perfectly well how Garran feels when he knows that Sarah decide to leave him and never go back:

Why do I say
Don't walk away
You'll be the way you were before
When you don't want me anymore

Don't turn around
Don't ever leave
A lonely room where empty days
Are gathering to meet me when you're

Sonny/Muses:
Gone, gone

Sonny:
How in the world will I go on

All you gotta do is stay

All you gotta do is stay

Don...more
Jamie
Jun 18, 2012 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jamie by: Mara
This is a very cute story with likable characters in a space setting. It's just a little too light on the sci-fi for me. I would have loved to read more building of the sci-fi aspects. Some commas would have been nice too ... I hate when I'm in the middle of something good and what I'm reading doesn't make sense - until the mental comma gets put in. The story was interesting, there was certainly enough romance and intrigue to keep me reading. Yet, it's a fairly light read as well.
Really torn between giving this two stars and one star. The only books with one star I have so far are those that I didn't finish - and I did manage to finish this one. But I think that was only because (1) it was quite short; and (2) there was a sort of horrified fascination in keeping going.

The story is straightforward - cardboard-cut-out-character A and cardboard-cut-out-character B are to fall in love with one another and live happily ever after. Unfortunately for me, that's all this story i...more
Mara
If you like vanilla reading, you'll probably like this book. There's nothing wrong with it, simply it's not my cup. Everything is smooth, the hero is so perfect, the heroine his perfect mate (and virgin to boot). The world is divided between the Good and the Bad, governments lie and friends meddle.

If you know a clique in romance, it'll probably be here. It doesn't mean it's a bad story, it wasn't good for me. It's like drinking lager, when you usually go for a trappiste or a stout.
Kelly
An interesting scifi romance. The future society is well thought out and detailed enough that there aren't any big questions. The romance between Sarah and Garran is the focus, but the the other romances and assassin subplot round out the story quite well. I'm definitely going to be looking for other books by this author.
Rebecca
This book had a great story line and characters. I loved the way the Gianas took the Earth females and how they were paired. But no good love scenes.
A little bit of a conflicting story. Earth had been at war with the Gaian's and all during the war they(earth's leaders) would broadcast the messages sent to them from the Gaian's general. Fast forward to the end of the war, none(or very few) of the men on Earth are willing to commit to marriage, so when the opportunity comes to find husband's else where Sarah and several other women take the change. That chance however leads them straight to General Garran and the Gaian men who are looking for...more
Nikki
Good story, likeable characters, solid depth in supporting characters. Worthwhile read:-)
Jan
I really enjoyed this book.
Bookbaby
Nice book to curl up with. Story and characters were well fleshed out although I had a little trouble pairing up the heroines characteristics of together 'go getter' with someone who'd meekly agree to 'bond' with someone she'd never seen. Loved the premiss that that the Gaians defeated the nasty earth people without bloodshed, some very clever technology included in the book.
I'd buy the next one in the series, and I think that's the best recommendation anyone can give.
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Cheesecake
Cheesecake marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Thea
Thea marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Kizi
Kizi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
What's The Name o...: Alien Romance - Mars Needs Women type of book [s] 8 200 Jun 16, 2013 03:52AM
  • The Portal
  • Choosing Riley (Sarafin Warriors, #1)
  • The Perfect Prince (Dragon Lords, #2)
  • Prime Obsession (The Prime Chronicles, #1)
  • Alien Salvation (Clans of Kalquor, #4)
  • The Trigon Rituals (Trigon Rituals #1)
  • Conquest: Earth
  • Love's Captive (Volarn, #1)
  • Armor (New World, #2)
  • Lyon's Price (Zodiac Cyborgs, #1)
  • Starkissed
  • Arena Station (Champions of Terra, #1)
  • King and I (Celestial Soul-Mates, #1)
  • F814 (Cyborgs: More Than Machines, #2)
During the weekday Janet is a mild-mannered software engineer who writes code and design documents. At night and on weekends she turns to the creation of offbeat stories about imaginary pasts, presents, and futures. But no matter when or where the story happens, there will always be some adventure, some humor, and meaning to the tale. For Cerridwen she's writing a new line of parafolk tales about...more
More about Janet Miller...
Beloved Enemy (Gaian Stories #2) The Girl in the Box (Gaian Stories 1.2) A Promise Made (Gaian Stories #1.5) Beloved Stranger  (Gaian Stories #4) Beloved Traveler (Gaian Stories #3)