Start by marking “Cité de verre” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Cité de verre

Paul Auster

Cité de verre (New York Trilogy #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,513 Ratings  ·  561 Reviews
New York was a labyrinth of endless steps, and no matter how far he walked, it always left him with the feeling of being lost. Each time he took a walk, he felt he was leaving himself behind. All places became equal, and on his best walks, he was able to feel that he was nowhere. This was all he ever asked of things: to be nowhere.

A mystery writer assumes a detective's ide
Published August 10th 1993 by Actes Sud (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cité de verre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cité de verre

Glenn Russell
Sep 24, 2014 Glenn Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Paul Auster's City of Glass (1987) reads like Raymond Chandler on Derrida, that is, a hard-boiled detective novel seasoned with a healthy dose of postmodernist themes, a novel about main character Daniel Quinn as he walks the streets of uptown New York City. I found the story and writing as compelling as Chandler's The Big Sleep or Hammett's The Maltese Falcon and as thought-provoking as reading an essay by Foucault or Barthes. By way of example, here are three quotes from the novel coupled with
Paul Bryant
May 31, 2010 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Paul Auster, a guy who ushers you into the silky interior of his brand new Nissan Infiniti, makes sure you've got your seatbelt on, proffers bonbons, then drives you to distraction.

This book is in contravention of TWO of PB's commandments:

- Thou shalt not have a character in thy book with thy own name

- Thou shalt not portray the writing of a novel within thy novel such that the novel within the novel turns out to be the novel the reader is reading

Bob Redmond
Jan 20, 2010 Bob Redmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my review of Paul Karasik and David Mazuchelli's graphic novel version of CITY OF GLASS, I wrote: "The graphic artists give it so much dimension that the text-only version seems (in my memory) to be no more than a screenplay to this version's fully-realized presentation."

My memory was wrong. I re-read the original and found it as multi-dimensional as the graphic novel version. Or perhaps the two versions together compounded the book into something greater. Or perhaps they cancelled each other
Daniel
Sep 22, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing exploration of the power of language to make (and unmake) the borders of our existence and the reality we experience.

The main character, Quinn, is a writer of detective stories. One day, he decides to take on a serious detective job. His decision to do so, prompted by a mere phone call, seemingly represents the enthralling power of suggestion.

Quinn's willing engagement with the caller, and the events that unfold from there, convey a heavily slanted view of language-experience
Drew
What a disaster. This is like a vastly inferior The Crying of Lot 49. People who like it presumably call it a brilliant subversion of traditional mystery-genre expectations. I call it bullshit.

Basically there's this writer, Quinn, who gets a mysterious call looking for a detective called Paul Auster (Auster, the author, is apparently the sort of author who includes himself as a character in his books...sigh). Quinn of course takes on both the case and Auster's identity. The only good parts of th
Negar
May 06, 2015 Negar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
امروز صبح توی اتوبوس شروعش کردم، بعد زمان برگشت بازم توی اتوبوس ادامه دادم. هر دو بار هم نزدیک بود یادم بره سر ایستگاه پیاده شم.

اولین کتابی بود که از این نویسنده می خوندم و واقعا عجیب بود این سبک برام. هنوز هم طوری نیست که بتونم نظر بدم. بازی های نویسنده با جملات در حدی گمراه کننده بود که چند بار رفتم و متن اصل رو چک کردم و تطبیق دادم. حقیقتا ترجمه بد نبود، ولی نمی شد این کتاب رو دقیقا با همون تاثیر اصل کتاب ترجمه کرد.
هدف کتاب تفکر برانگیز بود. داستانش هم ...

+ خیلی برام جالب بود که یه سری چیز
Nikki
Aug 24, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I find that I don't know what on earth to say about City of Glass. Perhaps that will resolve itself as I read the rest of this trilogy. I was intrigued by it, at times confused; I found it easy to read, but very quiet, muted. It doesn't spark off the page and leap about, at all. It sounds as if it's going to be very strange and dramatic, and yet it quietly slims down -- in the way the main character does -- to something else entirely. And what that thing is, I haven't figured out.

Like I said, pe
Rauf
Jun 02, 2010 Rauf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Don Quixote ?
Not a real review. Just some random selection from my notes. Hope I can clarify some things for myself 'cause the book stymied me. Stymied, I says!
May contain spoilers. Probably. I have no idea, man. Just to be safe, though, I don't think anyone oughta be reading this.

1. Our main character, Daniel Quinn, wrote a series of detective novels using the moniker William Wilson. The detective's name was Max Work. When Quinn went to see Peter Stillman, he said his name was Paul Auster.
(Just a vessel for
Esther
Jun 04, 2008 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Just goes to show how good of a writer Paul Auster is. Writers like him and Cormac McCarthy get away with writing stories that I can't imagine writing, let alone understanding how to keep the momentum. The protagonist, Daniel Quinn (mistaken for Paul Auster), even in his most unbelievable moments, stays believable. The metafictional aspect of this book combined with the mystery novel nature was an intriguing cerebral mind fuck that kept me reading frantically. Not a book for plot cravers (not at ...more
Darwin8u
An interesting PoMo novella. Auster's first novel/second book/first of his 'New York Trilogy', 'City of Glass' is simultaneously a detective novel, an exploration of the author/narrative dynamic, and a treatise on language. I liked parts, loved parts, and finished the book thinking the author had written something perhaps more interesting than important.

My favorite parts were the chapters where Auster (actual author Auster) through the narrator Quinn acting as the detective Auster explored Stil
Tim Lepczyk
I picked City of Glass off the bookcase because I heard Paul Auster interviewed on Radiolab. In the interview he described getting a phone call, after the novel was published, by a man asking for Quinn (the character in City of Glass who takes on the identity of Paul Auster). It sounded like an intriguing novel, and I decided to give it a chance.

It's no secret that I'm not a Paul Auster fan. At times, it seems like he is more interested in exploring identity, whether it is that of his characters
F.X. Altomare
I had mixed feelings going into this novel given Auster's ambiguous relationship with critics; but he pulls a rabbit out of a hat here, weaving a metaphysical "detective" novel that might be considered a primer for postmodernism. All the elements are here: the author appearing as a character, questions about what is real, works-within-the-work, etc. Auster asks the big questions and gives us a relentless work that never quite answers any of them. Auster writes a tough lean prose that reminds one ...more
Seth T.
Sep 02, 2010 Seth T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of Glass was not what I expected. Which is not a bad thing.

I expected a well-crafted, pulpy detective fiction, perhaps borrowing liberally from Hammett, Chandler, and maybe Leonard. And it was to be fraught with New York-ish details and ambiance. I expected it to more or less follow the expectable twists, turns, and general direction of the genre I believed it to take part in.

What I got was something different. Not entirely so, of course. But different enough for me to not quite realize wha
sally
Feb 19, 2016 sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ادبیات
Nadi Ghaffari
Apr 14, 2015 Nadi Ghaffari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فیکشن
خیلی خوشخون و جذاب بود.پر از جمله های کوتیشن مانندی که دوسشون داشتم.استر همیشه نویسنده ی جذابی بوده که خوب بلده معما طرح کنه و تو رو دنبال خودش بکشونه.کمتر از یه روز و نیم طول کشید خوندنش اونم در شرایطی که 5 دقیقه یه بار یکی صدام میکرد یا مزاحم میشد.وگرنه کمترم طول میکشید.
Daniel
Dec 29, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I told the guy in the bookstore (whose name is also Daniel) that I wanted a book that would open my brain up. He didn't think too long before he pointed me towards this short weird book.

Imagine that David Lynch and Haruki Murakami got punchy one night and decided to write a noir detective novel together. And Samuel Beckett stopped by to contribute a chapter or two? I recognize this sounds crazy, but it's hard to imagine that this book was written by a single person. There are so many thoughts cr
Maryam
Nov 16, 2015 Maryam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
City of Glass as the name suggest is more about a city, characters are belonged to city, to its streets,layers of big city's spirits.Timing,pursuing and being alone.

Daniel Quinn is a mystery writer who lost his wife and son and now spends an almost meaningless and boring life. Everything changes when he get a call from a scared man asking for a private detective named Paul Auster.

Maybe to run from his empty life Quinn pretend to be Paul Auster and starts to follow the man's father that he believ
Ahmad Sharabiani
219. The New York Trilogy: City of Glass – Paul Auster
عنوان: شهر شیشه ای؛ پل آستر، مترجم: شهرزاد لولاچی؛ کتاب نخست از سه گانه نیویورک
Vit Babenco
Jan 19, 2015 Vit Babenco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Whatever he knew about these things, he had learned from books, films, and newspapers. He did not, however, consider this to be a handicap. What interested him about the stories he wrote was not their relation to the world but their relation to other stories.”
City of Glass is a game – an intellectual game of a private eye and a criminal. But it’s a game of madmen – a paranoid writer pretends to be a private detective and attempts to save the paranoid son from his paranoid father.
The novel is ap
Hamid Hasanzadeh
نیویورک فضایی بی انتها بود، هزار تویی از مکان های بی انتها؛ و مهم نبود چقدر راه می رفت و چقدر محله ها و خیابان های شهر را می شناخت، همیشه احساس می کرد گم شده است.نه فقط در شهر بلکه در خود هم گم شده بود.هر بار که قدم می زد، احساس می کرد گویی خود را جا می گذارد و با تسلیم شدن به چرخش خیابان ها، با تقلیل خویش به چشمی نظاره گر قادر می شود از اجبار فکر کردن بگریزد و این بیش از هر چیز لحظه ای آرامش و خلا درونی و خوشایند برایش به همراه داشت.
دنیا بیرون از وجودش، در اطراف و روبرویش بود و با چنان سرعتی تغ
Carolyn
Jun 06, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Auster is the author of this story about author Daniel Quinn, who writes as author William Wilson, who writes about detective Max Work, but Daniel Quinn is mistaken for Detective Paul Auster, whose identity he assumes, although he later meets Author Paul Auster. The plot is really not as confusing as I've implied, though; the mental gymnastics come as a result of Auster's kaleidoscopic fragmentation of his characters.

Protagonist Quinn has recently lost his wife and son; we're not told how,
Bandit
Sep 20, 2012 Bandit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely incredible book. To simply describe it as a NY detective story would be an epic understatement. Paul Auster has been one of the authors I've discovered this year and he continues to amaze me. The man is a natural storyteller and he weaves his stories with such cleverness and ease and warmth. His stories are interesting in the way that M.C. Escher's art is, particularly in this case it reminded me of the Drawing Hands, the way the author so cleverly wrote himself into the story, the mu ...more
Michael Kotsarinis
Συνολική κριτική στο Το κλειδωμένο δωμάτιο.
Lukasz Pruski
"This Auster was the first intelligent person he had spoken to in a long time."

Paul Auster's City of Glass (1985) is the first part of his New York Trilogy. I have not yet decided whether I want to read the next installments: while I have found this short novel very readable and extremely clever, it is also quite "empty", in the sense of being not much more than a sort of formal exercise in postmodernist metafiction. I think self-referentiality is great fun, but only when used in moderation. The
Sean Duffy
Something about a guy following an old guy and Humpty Dumpty being profound and then the Tower of Babel and stuff. I guess I'm too dumb. Incomprehensible. Either I have been stricken with the curse of Babel, or this is a pretentious mess. You be the judge. Also, the artwork may have been ahead of its time, but after so many great graphic novels, it looks rather pedestrian. SORRY!
Farnoosh Noroozi
Apr 24, 2015 Farnoosh Noroozi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"از خود میپرسید اگر همهی گامهایی را که در زندگی برداشته و مسیرهایی را که پیموده در نقشهای نشان میدادند، آن نقشه چه شکلی به خود میگرفت و چه واژهای را هجی میکرد؟"
زندگی ما کدام کلمه را هجی میکند؟…
Trang  Tran (Bookidote)

I just finished the first book in this trilogy and even if nothing really happens, I was drawn into this book and read it real fast.I think that's what makes it so beautiful, the details always facinated me when I strongly know if doesn't contribute much to the storyline. I loved every bit of litterature reference in this marvelous narration. You should read it for the love of litterature and books and not expecting a jaw dropping story!
Judy Mann
Feb 22, 2014 Judy Mann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is complete crap. It's one of those books where you read the critic's reviews and you think- what in God's name are they talking about?? Kafka? Post modern ? Are they crazy?? This book first of all- was boring.
I skipped 10 pages at a time.Second of all-it was boring. Third of all - you get it. BORING.
More than anything-this book lets you see the pretentiousness of New York critics. Why is that now? Because the critics are so pompous and so full of hot air- using all these high brow te
Mary
May 15, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a remarkably inventive work of fiction. Auster is a tremendously intelligent, and surprising writer who seems to create an almost continuous suspense in part by creating new mysteries and questions as he goes along. We wait and watch with the former writer Wilson Wilson now become the detective Daniel Quinn who is known to his client Shipman and his wife Virginia by the name Daniel Auster as Quinn tries to keep track of Shipman's father just released from prison who he fe ...more
Sophie
Jan 10, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2011, kept
If I wanted to be simplistic, I would call this a weird book. Also pretentious. It's the sort of book that I feel has been written to be dissected (for example, for people to work out which bits he's intended as homage to other writers, who has influenced him etc). Daniel Quinn (same initials as Don Quixote) is a writer of detective stories (the hero of his books is called William Wilson - referencing Edgar Allan Poe's short story about doppelgangers) who is mistaken for a real detective called ...more
  • Bronsteins Kinder
  • El perseguidor
  • Coup de Grâce
  • The Voices of Marrakesh: A Record of a Visit
  • Zen Buddhism
  • Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)
  • Short Cuts: Selected Stories
  • The Oxford Book of American Short Stories
  • The Blindfold
  • The Golden Apple (Illuminatus 2)
  • Der Richter und sein Henker
  • The Man Who Watched Trains Go By
Paul Auster is the bestselling author of Report from the Interior, Winter Journal, Sunset Park, Invisible, The Book of Illusions, and The New York Trilogy, among many other works. He has been awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature, the Prix Médicis Étranger, the Independent Spirit Award, and the Premio Napoli. He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, the American Ac ...more
More about Paul Auster...

New York Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ghosts (The New York Trilogy, #2)
  • The Locked Room (The New York Trilogy, #3)

“Each time he took a walk, he felt as though he were leaving himself behind, and by giving himself up to the movement of the streets, by reducing himself to a seeing eye, he was able to escape the obligation to think, and this, more than anything else, brought him a measure of peace, a salutary emptiness within...By wandering aimlessly, all places became equal and it no longer mattered where he was. On his best walks he was able to feel that he was nowhere. And this, finally was all he ever asked of things: to be nowhere.” 99 likes
“He would conclude that nothing was real except chance.” 16 likes