Start by marking “China Cry: The Nora Lam Story” as Want to Read:
China Cry: The Nora Lam Story

China Cry: The Nora Lam Story

Published May 1st 1991 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about China Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Cry

Sharon/ LFrog1386
Sep 30, 2012 Sharon/ LFrog1386 rated it liked it
As a story about escaping from Communist China, this book lacks much detail and depth. It is rather, a book about God and Nora's faith in Him. If that is what draws you to this book, you will enjoy it thoroughly. If you are drawn in (as I was) because it's a story that should be about escaping the Communists, you will be disappointed. Too much of the book is a sermon.
Jessi
Nov 14, 2015 Jessi rated it really liked it
I have such a heart for China and what God has done/is doing there. The amazing experiences of the empowerment of the Holy Spirit that Nora describes in this account of her many Crusades for Christ is just amazing. It has increased my faith to pray and ask God for more and more.
Mar 16, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. My favorite parts were when she was really struggling because it made my problems turn into specks, I think it made me less selfish too.
Deborah Hecht
Nov 03, 2016 Deborah Hecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie first and was greatly impressed with how God worked in her life! From the book I saw how he worked in her life to help others.
Josiah
Plot: A
Writing: B
Vocabulary: C
Level: Easy
Rating: PG13 (abuse, torture, murder, firing squad, starvation, work camps, illnesses, separation of families, atheism, warfare, theft, etc)
Worldview: Pentecostal Christian

Nora Lam's autobiography skims her life from 1932 to 1979. She recounts life as a little princess, fleeing from the Japanese to live in Chongqing, returning to the middle-class of Shanghai where she found love and a new political philosophy in college, the horrors of the Great Leap Forw
Rachel
May 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that will stick with you forever. I have watched the movie several times and read the book at least twice. I love true stories and this one really makes you examine your own life because of all the things Nora went through (being imprisoned, persecuted, forced to do heavy manual labor when she was pregnant, etc.). I would recommend reading the book or at the very least, watching the movie.
Steven
Jan 01, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary book about an amazing missionary and her escape from Communist China--and the firing squad that could not kill her--and the lifetime of obstacles and miracles that followed.

I wish this book was longer!
Mallory
Jul 07, 2012 Mallory rated it liked it
It was an absolutely incredible story. Her life is full of miracles, but her writing ability is not too great so I didn't love it for that reason. But wow, God is an amazing God!
Kw
Mar 02, 2013 Kw rated it it was amazing
This is not the edition I read. The one by Irene Burk Harrell is very well-written and just an incredible story of God's faithfulness and love for His people. So thankful for this uplifting book.
Kim♥
Mar 15, 2008 Kim♥ rated it really liked it
I saw this movie at the theater back when I was ten. It was so moving! I'll never forget it. I have the movie edition of the book.
Toni
Jan 01, 2015 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well the book I have wasn't written very well at times but I am able to overlook that because the story is amazing and powerful, and I love it!
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Jenny
Nov 04, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story--it challenged me in my faith and also made me think a lot about Communism.
KathieLea Varnado Bradfield
KathieLea Varnado Bradfield rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Bethany Wissmann
Bethany Wissmann rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2008
Stacy Norman-moore
Stacy Norman-moore rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Esther Aspling
Esther Aspling rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Lynnis
Lynnis rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2013
Ris
Ris rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Susanna
Susanna rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Lib299
Lib299 rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2013
Ed Webbon
Ed Webbon rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Elizabeth Halford
Elizabeth Halford rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Theerikagee
Theerikagee rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Judy Anderson
Mar 25, 2016 Judy Anderson rated it really liked it
Author Nora Lam with Irene Harrell
Mayra Lopez
Mayra Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
  • Run, River Currents
  • Daughter of Destiny: Kathryn Kuhlman
  • Theres a Sheep in My Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • The Five Silent Years of Corrie ten Boom
  • Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by SEAL Team Six
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • The Calling: A Challenge to Walk the Narrow Road
  • A Song of Sixpence
  • Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the United States Marine Corps
  • Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter
  • Be Confident (Hebrews): Live by Faith, Not by Sight
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen"