Start by marking “China Cry: The Nora Lam Story” as Want to Read:
China Cry: The Nora Lam Story

China Cry: The Nora Lam Story

Published May 1st 1991 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about China Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Cry

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomThrough Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth ElliotGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewThe Heavenly Man by Paul HattawaySurprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Biography/Autobiography
67th out of 222 books — 117 voters
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomGod's Smuggler by Brother AndrewBruchko by Bruce OlsonSon of Hamas by Mosab Hassan YousefLiving on the Devil's Doorstep by Floyd McClung
Salvation Biographies
34th out of 112 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon/ LFrog1386
Sep 30, 2012 Sharon/ LFrog1386 rated it liked it
As a story about escaping from Communist China, this book lacks much detail and depth. It is rather, a book about God and Nora's faith in Him. If that is what draws you to this book, you will enjoy it thoroughly. If you are drawn in (as I was) because it's a story that should be about escaping the Communists, you will be disappointed. Too much of the book is a sermon.
Jessi
Nov 14, 2015 Jessi rated it really liked it
I have such a heart for China and what God has done/is doing there. The amazing experiences of the empowerment of the Holy Spirit that Nora describes in this account of her many Crusades for Christ is just amazing. It has increased my faith to pray and ask God for more and more.
Aug 11, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. My favorite parts were when she was really struggling because it made my problems turn into specks, I think it made me less selfish too.
Josiah
Plot: A
Writing: B
Vocabulary: C
Level: Easy
Rating: PG13 (abuse, torture, murder, firing squad, starvation, work camps, illnesses, separation of families, atheism, warfare, theft, etc)
Worldview: Pentecostal Christian

Nora Lam's autobiography skims her life from 1932 to 1979. She recounts life as a little princess, fleeing from the Japanese to live in Chongqing, returning to the middle-class of Shanghai where she found love and a new political philosophy in college, the horrors of the Great Leap Forw
Judy Anderson
Feb 12, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing
What a life.
Rachel
May 09, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that will stick with you forever. I have watched the movie several times and read the book at least twice. I love true stories and this one really makes you examine your own life because of all the things Nora went through (being imprisoned, persecuted, forced to do heavy manual labor when she was pregnant, etc.). I would recommend reading the book or at the very least, watching the movie.
Steven
Jun 19, 2013 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary book about an amazing missionary and her escape from Communist China--and the firing squad that could not kill her--and the lifetime of obstacles and miracles that followed.

I wish this book was longer!
Kw
Mar 02, 2013 Kw rated it it was amazing
This is not the edition I read. The one by Irene Burk Harrell is very well-written and just an incredible story of God's faithfulness and love for His people. So thankful for this uplifting book.
Mike Davis
Nov 26, 2014 Mike Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everything I'vesaid is TRUE"Nora Lam
Toni
May 26, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well the book I have wasn't written very well at times but I am able to overlook that because the story is amazing and powerful, and I love it!
Kim♥
Mar 15, 2008 Kim♥ rated it really liked it
I saw this movie at the theater back when I was ten. It was so moving! I'll never forget it. I have the movie edition of the book.
Jenny
Nov 04, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story--it challenged me in my faith and also made me think a lot about Communism.
Robyn
Jul 27, 2012 Robyn rated it really liked it
Amazing story. I liked how she survived a firing squad, but I got lost at times.
Margarita
Nov 04, 2009 Margarita rated it it was amazing
this story was amazing! you have to take a look at it..true story!
Mallory
Jul 07, 2012 Mallory rated it liked it
It was an absolutely incredible story. Her life is full of miracles, but her writing ability is not too great so I didn't love it for that reason. But wow, God is an amazing God!
Brent Earwicker
Brent Earwicker marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Rene'
Rene' added it
Aug 25, 2016
Christy Hood
Christy Hood marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Amber Silverhawk
Amber Silverhawk rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Viv Li
Viv Li marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Lance Towers
Lance Towers marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Mary Catherine
Mary Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Jen Ru
Jen Ru rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Zech
Zech marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • Run, River Currents
  • Daughter of Destiny: Kathryn Kuhlman
  • There's a Sheep in my Bathtub: Birth of a Mongolian Church Planting Movement
  • The Five Silent Years of Corrie ten Boom
  • Kidnapped by the Taliban: A Story of Terror, Hope, and Rescue by SEAL Team Six
  • Mountain Rain: A Biography of James O. Fraser: Pioneer Missionary to China
  • The Calling: A Challenge to Walk the Narrow Road
  • A Song of Sixpence
  • Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the United States Marine Corps
  • Wandering Through Winter: A Naturalist's Record of a 20,000-Mile Journey Through the North American Winter
  • Be Confident (Hebrews): Live by Faith, Not by Sight
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles
  • Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen"