Start by marking “The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2)

The Color of Water (Color Trilogy #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,266 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
When Ehwa goes to the town festival, she meets a handsome young wrestler named Duksam who's eager to catch her eye. After he wins the festival wrestling championship, he and Ehwa begin to meet, sneaking spare moments to be together. But a shadow falls on their romance when Master Cho sends Duksam away and asks for Ehwa's hand in marriage himself It is then that Ehwa discov ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by First Second (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Water

Sam
Jun 12, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it
I am realizing I am going to have to go on an impossible quest to find the last volume of this series, but seriously SO GOOD.
Gusfina
--- Warna Air dan Warna Langit ---
Plot: Ok.
Penokohan: Ok. Semua pandai berperibahasa /eh //bukan.
Gaya gambar: Ok.

Tertarik dengan kovernya, saya membeli Warna Air di obralan. Beberapa tahun setelahnya, saya akhirnya menemukan warna lagit di obralan juga. Buku dari obralan itu memang... nikmat disantap ya (° ʖ °) seakan saya bisa memberikan rating bonus karena hal ini /eh.

Saya sudah sering membaca buku yang punya banyak perumpamaan dan penjelasan soal kehidupan. Di buku ini pun saya menikmatinya.
Sweetdhee
Remaja

Masa-masa paling menakutkan bagi orang tua kala anaknya beranjak dewasa
dan kalau teman dari si anak layaknya Bongsoon, bisa-bisa saya pasung anak saya karena ketakutan.. kekekekekekekek..

Na'aaaaaa, i won't do such thing..
Kalau saya bisa membangun komunikasi yang baik seperti Ehwa dan ibunya, saya rasa saya tidak perlu khawatir
Komunikasi yang indah
Penuh dengan filosofi dan rangkaian puisi

Ehwa, remaja yang kecewa karena dua kisah cinta monyetnya tidak ada yang berhasil
Yang membuatnya percaya
Kendal
Sep 30, 2012 Kendal rated it really liked it
In the second book novel in the Color Trilogy, Ehwa continues her journey of becoming a young woman and finding her true love. She is discovering her new body and her sexuality. If you are reading this with your child, you should know that there is a masturbation scene but it is not graphic. It is just Ehwa continuing on her path to womanhood.

This book is, also, about the relationship between a mother and daughter. Ehwa’s mother yearns for her own love while at the same time educating Ehwa on fi
Sylvia
Kehidupan Ehwa semasa remaja, hingga menjelang dewasa. Dimana Ehwa mulai mengenal cinta dan main rahasia-rahasiaan dengan ibunya. APakah remaja jelang dewasa gitu ya? Suka rahasia-rahasiaan?

Si kecilku masih terbuka menceritakan apa saja yang terjadi padanya; di sekolah, di rumah. Tapi suatu hari dia akan diam seolah menyimpan sesuatu rahasia yang tak ingin dibagi-bagi ke siapapun, termasuk ibunya. Jadi, sebelum masa itu datang, kukan membuka telinga dan mata lebar-lebar untuk mendengarkan dia.
Harun Harahap
Meskipun wanita berusaha menyembunyikan sesuatu, mata mereka tak bisa berbohong. Matamu mengungkapkan segalanya. (15)

Kuberitahu yah Ehwa, lelaki pun sama. Lihatlah mata kami, lalu kau akan mengetahui apakah kami berbohong atau tidak.

******************************************************************************

lanjutan review entah kapan, belom ada ide lagi.
Ririenz
Alih Bahasa : Rosi L. Simamora
Penerbit : PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Cetakan : Agustus, 2010
Tebal : 320 Halaman

Jika sekuntum bunga berada di dalam pagar,
Dapatkah kupu-kupu di luar menahan godaan untuk masuk ke dalam ?

***
Aku ingin menjadi bara api yang menarik kupu-kupu api,
dan ketika mati aku ingin mati sambil saling berpelukan.
Aku ingin menemukan laki-laki seperti itu

***

Warna Air adalah sekuel kedua dari Trilogi Warna karya Kim Dong Hwa. Sekuel kedua ini didominas
Jessica-Robyn
The Colour of Water is such a seamless transition from The Colour of Earth that I feel everything I said in that review can be applied to this book as well. The messages about sex, the mother-daughter relationship, the story of Ehwa gradually maturing, and even the heavy-laden metaphors about nature are all here in full force.

Going into this series I had known that it was challenged in libraries for its discussion of sex, but I didn't know what the story would exactly entail. This series is de
Staci
Mar 14, 2010 Staci rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
After finishing all three in this graphic novel series, I have to say that I was left feeling a little let down. Color of Water was in my opinion, very boring and a rehash of book one. After reading it, I wondered if I really wanted to bother with the third, but it was just sitting there so I had to finish it. I'm glad that I did continue on with book three. It was so much better than book 2....in fact, I think the author could've just written book one and three and left it at that. Overall, it ...more
alana
Oct 06, 2013 alana rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Women sitting around pining for men...and talking about flowers...yawn. While this behavior and manner of expression may be appropriate for the time period in which the story is set, I can't honestly say I enjoy reading it. Also, I find male authors writing about young girls' sexual awakenings to be disconcerting and inauthentic. I'm working on the final book in the trilogy now, but I'm not sure it will leave me more satisfied. Perhaps readers interested in traditional, rural Korean culture from ...more
Kirsten
Sep 26, 2012 Kirsten rated it liked it
I liked this, but definitely not as much as the first one. Too much waiting around. Also, I am tired of grand sweeping generalizations that start "Women are...." This book has them on nearly every page, and the fact that they are from women characters doesn't help much. I'm trying not to be too judgmental about their passivity, considering the setting and the time period. But this is a LOT of sitting around waiting for a man to show up.
Gina
Nov 09, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, graphic-novels
The second graphic novel, or manhwa, as they are called in Korea, in the Colors trilogy. As Ehwa grows older and becomes involved with Duksam, a wrestler she meets at a town festival, her feelings about love change and deepen. But Master Cho challenges their relationship by sending Duksam away and asking for Ehwa’s hand in marriage, and that’s when Ehwa learns about heartbreak as well. A lovely book!
Winna
Lebih suka yang pertama, mungkin karena Ehwa terlihat lebih lugu, ya..

Di sini, Ehwa kembali jatuh cinta. Seperti remaja pada umumnya, hubungannya dengan ibunya sedikit berubah (bisa dibilang berkembang), dengan rahasia, tebak-menebak, pertengkaran.. namun tetap dihiasi keakraban.

Akhirnya juga sedikit menggantung, membuat saya jadi penasaran menunggu Warna Surga keluar :)
Petronela
Nov 06, 2015 Petronela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lanjutan dari Warna Tanah. Di buku ini, dikisahkan Ehwa sudah remaja dan semakin cantik. Intinya masih sama kayak buku pertama, mengajarkan banyak hal lewat novel grafis. Keseharian kehidupan Ehwa dan ibunya -janda pemilik kedai minum, dikisahkan dengan baik. Di buku ini juga, Ehwa mulai jatuh cinta pada seorang lelaki muda bernama Duksam.
eti
Oct 20, 2013 eti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#49 - 2013

selain gambar-gambar yang indah, begitu banyak kutemukan nama-nama bunga di sini, hollyhock, tiger lily, azalea, kastanye, lady lily, kamelia, apikot, persik, lonceng putih, peony, lotus, juga pohn poplar, akar tanah, cemara, pohon ek dan tentu saja pohon labu. jadi ingin menanam itu semua.
Shawna
Jun 28, 2009 Shawna rated it really liked it
The second in the series, this book continues the subdued tale of a girl learning about what it means to be a woman. The story is a slow and reflective one. The lack of action will frustrate some, but the unusual descriptions and everday moments are beautiful captured.
Aaron
Aug 31, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Possibly the best comic I've read in 2012.
Vindy Putri
Mar 03, 2017 Vindy Putri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aku suka ceritanya. Apalagi ketika beranjak dewasa. Tapi bagian Filosofi-nya terlalu panjang dan aku agak susah ngertinya. Tapi wow... ini tentang dunia remaja yang mulai kenal dunia sex itu sendiri.
Juli Anna
Jan 18, 2017 Juli Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-ya
I think this was worse than the first one. All of Ehwa's female relationships are starting to get stereotypical (she and her mother picking on each other's choice of men; teasing female friends about their weight, etc.) and as her sexuality develops, it feels more and more like it's written for the male gaze. Also, the flower metaphors are getting REALLY overbearing.
Indri Juwono
Sep 17, 2010 Indri Juwono rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
#2010-86#

ibu :

Seorang anak berharga, namun rapuh. Seorang ibu tidak akan membiarkan anaknya tidur di atas lantai yang kasar, makan buah yang bentuknya tidak sempurna, mengenakan pakaian compang-camping, atau menelan makanan yang sulit dikunyah. Begitulah hati seorang ibu.( h. 166)

Masa pubertas hanya datang satu kali. Saat tersebutlah yang rawan karena euforia kegembiraan yang meluap-luap, bak bunga yang mekar dan memamerkan kecantikannya. Pada seorang gadis saatnya wajahnya bersinar cerah, dita
Ang
Jul 20, 2015 Ang rated it really liked it
First off, I LOVED this book and I can't wait to read the last one.

Story: Ehwa is young girl who lives her mother in a rural village in Korea. Her mother is a single parent and she's the owner of a tavern in town (the only one it appears). From the very beginning of the story, the themes of love, marriage, sex, puberty, femininity, sexuality are ever present. Ehwa is a young girl, but she's curious about the world around her and isn't afraid to ask her mother questions (which is what I love abou
Nenya
Jun 10, 2015 Nenya rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, historical
I liked this one less than the first one. Largely because Ehwa's boyfriend is such a dick. He starts out as a peeping tom, which he later treats as an in-joke between them without asking her if she's even forgiven him for being creepy. Then he kind of pushes her boundaries a couple of other times and it's treated as teasing and romantic--I was just going D: D: the whole time. I dunno. The theme of this book seemed to be the complexities of choosing a husband, where on the one hand there was roma ...more
Barbara
In this follow-up to The Color of Earth, Ehwa continues to learn about love and longing in her Korean village. She notices the butterflies and beetles that fill the air and ground around her, and the pepper plants that resemble a male's genitalia, and her friend Bongsoon even shows her how to pleasure herself, providing some comical moments. When she and a friend visit the market, she catches the eye of a strong, handsome man whose physical prowess allows him to win a wrestling match. Duksam is ...more
nat
Sep 02, 2010 nat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wah..kereeennnn banget !!!
tambah terpikat setelah buku pertamanya :)

Di sini dipaparkan banyak sekali perumpamaan dan pandangan bukan hanya tentang seksualitas, namun juga tentang cinta dan kehidupan.

Ehwa mulai mengenal pria ketiga yang menarik hatinya..bertanya-tanya apakah dengan pria ketiga itu ia akan 'beruntung' (meminjam istilah dari ibu Ehwa) dengan kehidupan cintanya..
Seorang pria yang bukan hanya memikat Ehwa dengan fisiknya, namun juga dengan keindahan kata-katanya lewat pantun maupun p
Allison
Oct 05, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 7th Grade & up
Recommended to Allison by: Read previous book by author
The American Library Association's Banned Books Week 2014 focused on banned/challenged Graphic Novels. The Color of Earth, the first volume of the Color Trilogy, was on one of many lists of banned/challenged books this year. I picked it up without knowing anything about the storyline or the author other than the fact that he was Korean. The Color of Water is the second book in the Trilogy.

I enjoyed the story and the artistry of this second book. Its story is told from a female viewpoint which is
Alex Telander
Jun 08, 2009 Alex Telander rated it it was amazing
Posted with permission from the Sacramento Book Review

In the second book of the trilogy, The Color of Water, Ehwa is now a growing girl and boys are on her mind all the time, but readers can see the beautiful woman she will become. And yet she still has a lot to learn about life, the world, and more importantly, men and what they can be like. Fortunately she has her mother to educate her on the ways of the world and the ways of men and their desires. Ehwa is a naïve young girl, but a fast learne
e.c.h.a
You will always be inside my heart
I hope that I have a place
in your heart too
Now and forever you are still the one

Ah..indah memang kalau perempuan sedang jatuh cinta. Berbagai bunga pun bermekaran dalam jiwa seorang perempuan.

*****
First Love by Utada Hikaru

Saigo no kisu wa tabako no flavor ga shita
Nigakute setsunai kaori

Ashita no imagoro ni wa
Anata wa doko ni irundarou
Dare wo omotterundarou

You are always gonna be my love
Itsuka darekato mata koi ni ochitemo
I'll remember to love you taught me how
Y
Lindy
I liked The Color of Earth better than this second graphic novel in Kim's trilogy based on stories told to him by his mother. He calls them "little gems from my mother's life at sixteen." Some of the episodes seem to be of a much younger girl's experience, which is partly why I didn't find the story entirely convincing. Ehwa's unfamiliarity with the shape of a man's penis, for example. On the other hand, her unfamiliarity with the similarity between the smell of chestnut blossoms and semen was f ...more
Rachel
Overall, I agree with a fellow reviewer when I say that overall I enjoyed this book, but it seemed like the author was simply rehashing the formula from the first book but it was a good quick read. I am a little annoyed, now that I've gotten into this series, that the library only has the first two volumes of the series. So I will have to go to a book shop to find the third one.

This book is about Ehwa as a 16 year old girl who discovers the man she really falls in love with and her mother's dee
Alicia
Jan 24, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
The second in a trilogy of graphic novels that center around Korean culture as a widowed mother and her young daughter Ehwa navigate the world. The mother runs a tavern after the death of Ehwa's father when she was young, so her mother must teach her the ways of the world.

Scattered with beautiful prose and even more beautiful illustrations (even in black and white, they're beautiful!) that capture Korea and a relationship between mother and daughter.

Much like the first book, in which Ehwa gets
  • Mafalda 6 (Mafalda, #6)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2 (A Bride's Story, #2)
  • Married with Brondong
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 2
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 3 (Saturn Apartments #3)
Kim Dong-Hwa is a widely revered Korean comic artist. Since his debut (with My Sky, serialized in the Daily Hanguk, one of the most prestigious Korean newspapers) in 1975, he has become a mainstay of the Korean manhwa (comics) landscape. He is best known for his tender stories and uncanny ability to write from a profoundly feminine perspective.

The three books that make up The Color Trilogy – The C
More about Kim Dong Hwa...

Color Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Color of Earth (Color Trilogy, #1)
  • The Color of Heaven (Color Trilogy, #3)

“The heart of a woman is really strange.” 14 likes
“A man who becomes enchanted by the flower's fragrance stays only for a fleeting moment, but a man who comes because of love stays for a lifetime.” 1 likes