Start by marking “The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Color of Water (Color Trilogy, #2)

The Color of Water (Color Trilogy #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,049 ratings  ·  153 reviews
When Ehwa goes to the town festival, she meets a handsome young wrestler named Duksam who's eager to catch her eye. After he wins the festival wrestling championship, he and Ehwa begin to meet, sneaking spare moments to be together. But a shadow falls on their romance when Master Cho sends Duksam away and asks for Ehwa's hand in marriage himself It is then that Ehwa discov ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by First Second (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Water

Sam
I am realizing I am going to have to go on an impossible quest to find the last volume of this series, but seriously SO GOOD.
Sweetdhee
Remaja

Masa-masa paling menakutkan bagi orang tua kala anaknya beranjak dewasa
dan kalau teman dari si anak layaknya Bongsoon, bisa-bisa saya pasung anak saya karena ketakutan.. kekekekekekekek..

Na'aaaaaa, i won't do such thing..
Kalau saya bisa membangun komunikasi yang baik seperti Ehwa dan ibunya, saya rasa saya tidak perlu khawatir
Komunikasi yang indah
Penuh dengan filosofi dan rangkaian puisi

Ehwa, remaja yang kecewa karena dua kisah cinta monyetnya tidak ada yang berhasil
Yang membuatnya percaya
Sylvia
Kehidupan Ehwa semasa remaja, hingga menjelang dewasa. Dimana Ehwa mulai mengenal cinta dan main rahasia-rahasiaan dengan ibunya. APakah remaja jelang dewasa gitu ya? Suka rahasia-rahasiaan?

Si kecilku masih terbuka menceritakan apa saja yang terjadi padanya; di sekolah, di rumah. Tapi suatu hari dia akan diam seolah menyimpan sesuatu rahasia yang tak ingin dibagi-bagi ke siapapun, termasuk ibunya. Jadi, sebelum masa itu datang, kukan membuka telinga dan mata lebar-lebar untuk mendengarkan dia.
Harun Harahap
Meskipun wanita berusaha menyembunyikan sesuatu, mata mereka tak bisa berbohong. Matamu mengungkapkan segalanya. (15)

Kuberitahu yah Ehwa, lelaki pun sama. Lihatlah mata kami, lalu kau akan mengetahui apakah kami berbohong atau tidak.

******************************************************************************

lanjutan review entah kapan, belom ada ide lagi.
Kendal
In the second book novel in the Color Trilogy, Ehwa continues her journey of becoming a young woman and finding her true love. She is discovering her new body and her sexuality. If you are reading this with your child, you should know that there is a masturbation scene but it is not graphic. It is just Ehwa continuing on her path to womanhood.

This book is, also, about the relationship between a mother and daughter. Ehwa’s mother yearns for her own love while at the same time educating Ehwa on fi
Jessica-Robyn
The Colour of Water is such a seamless transition from The Colour of Earth that I feel everything I said in that review can be applied to this book as well. The messages about sex, the mother-daughter relationship, the story of Ehwa gradually maturing, and even the heavy-laden metaphors about nature are all here in full force.

Going into this series I had known that it was challenged in libraries for its discussion of sex, but I didn't know what the story would exactly entail. This series is de
Ririenz
WARNA AIR
Penulis : Kim Dong Hwa
Alih Bahasa : Rosi L. Simamora
Penerbit : PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Cetakan : Agustus, 2010
Tebal : 320 Halaman

Jika sekuntum bunga berada di dalam pagar,
Dapatkah kupu-kupu di luar menahan godaan untuk masuk ke dalam ?

***
Aku ingin menjadi bara api yang menarik kupu-kupu api,
dan ketika mati aku ingin mati sambil saling berpelukan.
Aku ingin menemukan laki-laki seperti itu

***

Warna Air adalah sekuel kedua dari Trilogi Warna karya Kim Dong Hwa. Sekuel kedua ini didominas
alana
Women sitting around pining for men...and talking about flowers...yawn. While this behavior and manner of expression may be appropriate for the time period in which the story is set, I can't honestly say I enjoy reading it. Also, I find male authors writing about young girls' sexual awakenings to be disconcerting and inauthentic. I'm working on the final book in the trilogy now, but I'm not sure it will leave me more satisfied. Perhaps readers interested in traditional, rural Korean culture from ...more
Staci
After finishing all three in this graphic novel series, I have to say that I was left feeling a little let down. Color of Water was in my opinion, very boring and a rehash of book one. After reading it, I wondered if I really wanted to bother with the third, but it was just sitting there so I had to finish it. I'm glad that I did continue on with book three. It was so much better than book 2....in fact, I think the author could've just written book one and three and left it at that. Overall, it ...more
Nenya
I liked this one less than the first one. Largely because Ehwa's boyfriend is such a dick. He starts out as a peeping tom, which he later treats as an in-joke between them without asking her if she's even forgiven him for being creepy. Then he kind of pushes her boundaries a couple of other times and it's treated as teasing and romantic--I was just going D: D: the whole time. I dunno. The theme of this book seemed to be the complexities of choosing a husband, where on the one hand there was roma ...more
Allison
Oct 05, 2014 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 7th Grade & up
Recommended to Allison by: Read previous book by author
The American Library Association's Banned Books Week 2014 focused on banned/challenged Graphic Novels. The Color of Earth, the first volume of the Color Trilogy, was on one of many lists of banned/challenged books this year. I picked it up without knowing anything about the storyline or the author other than the fact that he was Korean. The Color of Water is the second book in the Trilogy.

I enjoyed the story and the artistry of this second book. Its story is told from a female viewpoint which is
Kirsten
I liked this, but definitely not as much as the first one. Too much waiting around. Also, I am tired of grand sweeping generalizations that start "Women are...." This book has them on nearly every page, and the fact that they are from women characters doesn't help much. I'm trying not to be too judgmental about their passivity, considering the setting and the time period. But this is a LOT of sitting around waiting for a man to show up.
Gina
The second graphic novel, or manhwa, as they are called in Korea, in the Colors trilogy. As Ehwa grows older and becomes involved with Duksam, a wrestler she meets at a town festival, her feelings about love change and deepen. But Master Cho challenges their relationship by sending Duksam away and asking for Ehwa’s hand in marriage, and that’s when Ehwa learns about heartbreak as well. A lovely book!
Winna
Lebih suka yang pertama, mungkin karena Ehwa terlihat lebih lugu, ya..

Di sini, Ehwa kembali jatuh cinta. Seperti remaja pada umumnya, hubungannya dengan ibunya sedikit berubah (bisa dibilang berkembang), dengan rahasia, tebak-menebak, pertengkaran.. namun tetap dihiasi keakraban.

Akhirnya juga sedikit menggantung, membuat saya jadi penasaran menunggu Warna Surga keluar :)
Li

This installment isn't as powerful as The Color of Earth but I still enjoyed it.
The Color of Water tells the story of Ehwa's transition into young womanhood.
We get more of Kim Dong Hwa's beautiful artwork and lyrical writing.
This story mastefully captures the sense of change.
Ehwa is maturing and her mother seems to be yearning for more with the picture man.

The final frame is beautiful as we see Ehwa mirroring her mother.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion in The Color of Heaven.
Shawna
The second in the series, this book continues the subdued tale of a girl learning about what it means to be a woman. The story is a slow and reflective one. The lack of action will frustrate some, but the unusual descriptions and everday moments are beautiful captured.
Yemima Yulia
There's nothing to be afraid of as long as you have good relationship with your mother. This book is a great way to show both mother and daughter, that if both sides willing to open their heart in a positive communication where every topic is discussed openly. The daughter will find the right source of information to answer her curiosity, the mother will have oportunity to share her wisdom in living life with her daughter.
Ehwa and her mother show an example of this kind of good relationship, whe
Michelle
Once again, Kim delivers a tender and honest tale of a young woman growing up in rural early twentieth century Korea. I am still surprised this is written by a man because it is fairly accurate as far as the ways women develop and grow into themselves in all facets, and it's a very tender portrayal, very respectful and in awe of women. His use of contemporary Japanese style and classical Korean in the illustrations is genius and really adds to the reading/viewing experience. This series has real ...more
Aaron
Possibly the best comic I've read in 2012.
e.c.h.a
You will always be inside my heart
I hope that I have a place
in your heart too
Now and forever you are still the one

Ah..indah memang kalau perempuan sedang jatuh cinta. Berbagai bunga pun bermekaran dalam jiwa seorang perempuan.

*****
First Love by Utada Hikaru

Saigo no kisu wa tabako no flavor ga shita
Nigakute setsunai kaori

Ashita no imagoro ni wa
Anata wa doko ni irundarou
Dare wo omotterundarou

You are always gonna be my love
Itsuka darekato mata koi ni ochitemo
I'll remember to love you taught me how
Y
indri
#2010-86#

ibu :

Seorang anak berharga, namun rapuh. Seorang ibu tidak akan membiarkan anaknya tidur di atas lantai yang kasar, makan buah yang bentuknya tidak sempurna, mengenakan pakaian compang-camping, atau menelan makanan yang sulit dikunyah. Begitulah hati seorang ibu.( h. 166)

Masa pubertas hanya datang satu kali. Saat tersebutlah yang rawan karena euforia kegembiraan yang meluap-luap, bak bunga yang mekar dan memamerkan kecantikannya. Pada seorang gadis saatnya wajahnya bersinar cerah, dita
Barbara
In this follow-up to The Color of Earth, Ehwa continues to learn about love and longing in her Korean village. She notices the butterflies and beetles that fill the air and ground around her, and the pepper plants that resemble a male's genitalia, and her friend Bongsoon even shows her how to pleasure herself, providing some comical moments. When she and a friend visit the market, she catches the eye of a strong, handsome man whose physical prowess allows him to win a wrestling match. Duksam is ...more
nat
wah..kereeennnn banget !!!
tambah terpikat setelah buku pertamanya :)

Di sini dipaparkan banyak sekali perumpamaan dan pandangan bukan hanya tentang seksualitas, namun juga tentang cinta dan kehidupan.

Ehwa mulai mengenal pria ketiga yang menarik hatinya..bertanya-tanya apakah dengan pria ketiga itu ia akan 'beruntung' (meminjam istilah dari ibu Ehwa) dengan kehidupan cintanya..
Seorang pria yang bukan hanya memikat Ehwa dengan fisiknya, namun juga dengan keindahan kata-katanya lewat pantun maupun p
Alex Telander
Posted with permission from the Sacramento Book Review

In the second book of the trilogy, The Color of Water, Ehwa is now a growing girl and boys are on her mind all the time, but readers can see the beautiful woman she will become. And yet she still has a lot to learn about life, the world, and more importantly, men and what they can be like. Fortunately she has her mother to educate her on the ways of the world and the ways of men and their desires. Ehwa is a naïve young girl, but a fast learne
winda
Nov 09, 2014 winda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to winda by: Bee
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Langkah, langkah...
Aku ingin tahu kemanakah dia berjalan?
Apakah ia memandang bulan seraya melangkah?
Atau diinjaknya cahaya bulan saat melangkah?

Kerinduan Ibunya Ehwa kepada tukang gambar akhirnya dirasakan pula oleh Ehwa yang jatuh cinta pada Duksam. Meskipun pada awalnya Ehwa merahasiakan perasaannya pada Ibunya, namun perasaan seorang Ibu bisa mengetahui bahwa anak gadisnya telah merekah menjadi bunga cantik yang mengundang kupu-kupu untuk hinggap.
Meskipun wanita berusaha menyembunyikan se
Rachel
Overall, I agree with a fellow reviewer when I say that overall I enjoyed this book, but it seemed like the author was simply rehashing the formula from the first book but it was a good quick read. I am a little annoyed, now that I've gotten into this series, that the library only has the first two volumes of the series. So I will have to go to a book shop to find the third one.

This book is about Ehwa as a 16 year old girl who discovers the man she really falls in love with and her mother's dee
Kaitlin
It has been a while since I read the first part of this trilogy, but very little of that story is needed to enjoy this volume. Continuing where the last book dropped off, we watch as Ehwa matures and falls in love again. This love seems more serious than the previous ones. She also is better able to discuss these matters with her mother, who continues a relationship with a traveling salesman. While Ehwa is anxious to get married, there are a lot of lessons throughout the novel about why one shou ...more
Alicia
The second in a trilogy of graphic novels that center around Korean culture as a widowed mother and her young daughter Ehwa navigate the world. The mother runs a tavern after the death of Ehwa's father when she was young, so her mother must teach her the ways of the world.

Scattered with beautiful prose and even more beautiful illustrations (even in black and white, they're beautiful!) that capture Korea and a relationship between mother and daughter.

Much like the first book, in which Ehwa gets
Awal Hidayat
Lanjutan dari "Warna Tanah". Si gadis kecil beranjak dewasa, makin paham tentang bagaimana menjadi perempuan dan mencinta. Si ibu janda masih tetap menantikan cinta barunya. Buku ini mulai sedikit lebih berani untuk memperkuat kesan dan eksistensinya sebagai novel grafis dewasa, tetapi tetap sesuai batas dan bertanggung jawab. (Sebenarnya, saya agak lebih menghayati kalau ada adegan bercumbunya hahaha... #forget it)
Alloula
I absolutely adore this series, but I think that this is the weakest volume. I think the largest problem is that the characters become a bit too absurd for me, too much like caricatures. Also I didn't like how it ended. The lovely art and lyrical dialogue that we have come to expect from the Color Series is still there, and I definitely enjoyed it. I would love to read a book from Bonsoon's perspective though!
  • Mafalda 6
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
  • Married with Brondong
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Bunny Drop 3 (Bunny Drop, #3)
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • Koko Be Good
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 007 (Pluto, #7)
  • City of Spies
  • Same Difference
Kim Dong-Hwa is a widely revered Korean comic artist. Since his debut (with My Sky, serialized in the Daily Hanguk, one of the most prestigious Korean newspapers) in 1975, he has become a mainstay of the Korean manhwa (comics) landscape. He is best known for his tender stories and uncanny ability to write from a profoundly feminine perspective.

The three books that make up The Color Trilogy – The C
More about Kim Dong Hwa...

Color Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Color of Earth (Color Trilogy, #1)
  • The Color of Heaven (Color Trilogy, #3)
The Color of Earth (Color Trilogy, #1) The Color of Heaven (Color Trilogy, #3) Hadiah Terindah (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #1) Pelajaran Berharga (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #2) Perjalanan Ajaib dan Kisah-Kisah Nyata Menyentuh Lainnya (Chicken Soup for the Soul Graphic Novel, #3)

“The heart of a woman is really strange.” 13 likes
“A man who becomes enchanted by the flower's fragrance stays only for a fleeting moment, but a man who comes because of love stays for a lifetime.” 1 likes