Start by marking “Full Circle” as Want to Read:
Full Circle

Full Circle

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,656 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Michael Palin has certainly been busy since his days with Monty Python's Flying Circus. In Full Circle, Palin and a film crew go on a year-long adventure visiting 18 countries along the Pacific Rim. The film was eventually made into a 10-part PBS series, to which this book serves as a companion. Not for nothing is this part of the world called the "Ring of Fire"; volcanoes ...more
Published 1997 by BBC

To ask other readers questions about Full Circle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Circle

Andy
It's ok, nowt special & was a real struggle to finish it. Better to watch the TV shows I think as ive learnt very little or got any real insite into places that he's visited.
Sam Still Reading
Nov 14, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travellers
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: watching the TV series
Yes, another Michael Palin book review (you may be happy to know that I have only two more of his books in my possession)! This is another one of his travel odysseys, this time completing a circle around the countries bordering the Pacific Ocean. From Alaska to Russia, China, Vietnam, Australia, Chile, Mexico and the USA (to name a few), Michael and his team become involved in daily life. This is different to the Around the World in Eighty Days concept, as aeroplanes may be used in transport, bu ...more
Daniel O'donovan
Having watched the series I wasn't sure what the book would add. Obviously its still the same journey but there is something special about the book form. I had the audio book version and it is read by Palin - which makes the experience all the more interesting.

I have done some traveling but could never do what Palin does. The amount of time away from home, though there was a couple of days at home in the middle, is a difficult thing.

Palin has an excellent style telling us of his travels. It is
Susanne
It gets four stars from me - though I guess, I would have given it 4.5.

Palin circles the Pacific and I got the impression that he enjoyed the trip until New Zealand a lot more than the rest. Maybe thats due to the family emergency mentioned - so that his perception of the trip changed - or it was really what he saw and experienced.
There is an incredible warmth and enjoyment on the western shores of the Pacific - all through Asia you can feel it and enjoy it as well. South America and North Ameri
Maria M. Elmvang
I remember watching the TV-program "Full Circle" back when it aired in Denmark. Michael Palin was my favourite Monty Python, and I loved his quirky humour as it expressed itself in his travel vlog as well.

This book is his written journal of some of his experiences during his travels. It covers about 300 days in just over 6 hours, so he doesn't have time for more than a very superficial description of his journey, but it's still enough to appreciate the vastness of his undertaking, and the amazin
Clare
1996: The West wasn't as enlightened about the East as much as it is today, but it still astounds me that a traveller expects South Korea and Japan to be virtually the same! At least Palin admits his prior ignorance but surely a European is aware there are differences between Norway and Germany?

Told through the eyes of a Englishman; he highlights what he considers to be the most alien to him. I do own the DVD of Full Circle and the BBC have continued to broadcast programmes that focus primarily
Donald McElreavy
Gave it 3 stars only because it was Michael Palin. Not bad, basically just journal entries. Felt choppy. Show was much better, didn't translate nearly as well into book form.
Rosesareread
I'm an avid fan of all Michael Palin's adventures which is why Full Circle gets five stars from me. He can't put a foot wrong in my view! :-)
Tim Corke
An epic read for an epic journey.

Palin is just a master at these journal/accounts and cannot help but amuse, inspire and document the marvels of the world in a way that everyone can relate too. Filled with wonderful trips, landmarks, experiences of life in countries around the Pacific Rim, it brings home the variety of culture in the world.

At times you could sense elements of frustration and tiredness with the journey but as one that has experienced a year-long trip of my own can completely rela
Toni
I'm predisposed to like Michael Palin, so it's not surprising that I enjoyed this book, which traces Palin and his film crew as they traveled around the Pacific Rim in over 200 days in 1996. Palin is a descriptive writer, and his wit shines through often, making the journey in photographs and words an enjoyable one. This is no cutting edge, off-the-grid gonzo journey, so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere. If you're a sucker for travelogues, especially ones covering great distances, then ...more
Marcus
I found this a bit harder to get into than most of Mr. Palin's other travel diaries (the ones that I've read at least). His frustration and desire to end his arduous journey show very clearly in his writing. That being said, he describes some incredible sights and places. He shows, once again, that he is willing to go to any length in the name of adventure. His ability to put a positive spin on situations that would leave me raging never ceases to amaze. The more of his books that I read, the mo ...more
A bit dated now but good.
Apryl Anderson
Without realizing it, I read this just following Peter Jenkins' A Walk West...I think my library's trying to tell me something...Alas, at this point in life I try to be content as an armchair traveler, and this is a wonderful way to fly! I recently re-watched Palin's BBC series, and 15 years on, it's interesting to see what's changed and what remains the same. Asia will always hold a place in my heart; sometimes as a heart-murmur, but a treasured place indeed.
Jan
Great to listen to while traveling.
Robert
Mar 29, 2012 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: michael-palin
Third of Michael Palin's travel logs , this time at the title suggests he goes full circle around the rim of the Pacific ocean, taking in such countries as China, Vietnam, Indonesia, New Zealand, Mexico to name a few.

As ever the audio version is superb with Michael really making your feel like your on the journey with him.

Highly recommended.

10 month journey , takes place between 1996 and 1997.
Wendy Unsworth
The usual Palin travel excellence. I have read all of his travel books and loved every one. Great photography too!
Gavin Rock
3rd palin novel I've read, and I'm getting bored of his style. Concentrates a lot on meeting some local and telling their story, doesn't offer enough of an opinion on a place as a whole. Don't feel like I know that much more about any place he visited. You can tell that his journeys are made more for tv than for the written word. Read Bryson instead.
Jenny
I listened to the audiobook with Michael Palin himself as the narrator. He gives vivid accounts of the crew's over 200 day-journey along the Pacific Rim. I laughed many times while listening. Palin is a highly professional entertainer with a great variation in accents, dialects and perspectives.
Catherine  Mustread
Oct 01, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catherine by: Suible
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
My fourth Michael Palin and perhaps my favorite as Palin circles the Pacific Rim, hitting almost every country except those in Central America. What's with that? Great photography.
Rhoda
Dec 01, 2007 Rhoda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to travel
This book is fascinating, anyone who loves to travel will appreciate this book which is written in diary form by the ex Montypython man, Michael Palin. His sense of humour makes one laugh out loud as he circumnavigates the Pacific Rim - full of funny anecdotes
Mary
Though it's more than a decade old already, I thoroughly enjoyed this journey around the Pacific Rim. Palin's verbosity is much better served in this forum ;) An excellent, heartwarming trek. Stunning photography. Now I want to watch the series.
Chris Steeden
Another solid travelogue from Palin although for some reason this did not seem to have the bounce and enthusiasm of the others. This maybe due to his wife's illness or just the enormity of the trip. Still Palin always makes a good guide.
Kate Millin
The account of his trip around the Pacific - written in his interestingly rye (?) style. Interesting as it included places I have heard about from other members of the family - makes me want to travel even more.
Helen Whelan

Read this a number of years ago as my introduction to travel writing. Pailin's narration made me feel like I was actually watching his show. Made me want to up sticks, pack a bag and trek to new horizons.
angrykitty
really enjoyed this book. was the third that i read, and really, was just as good as the first two. i have to say though, that as much as i love the books, i don't really care for the tv show as much. odd.
Judy
Aug 30, 2013 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: travel
Audiobook version. I really enjoyed this audiobook. Michael Palin reads it himself and, while most authors don't seem to do well reading aloud, Michael Palin does.
Anne
I liked this book, but somehow it's not my favourite Palin travel book. However, the encounters with all kinds of people are great reading material.
Pam
Travels with Michael Palin. This one he goes around the Pacific Rim. I really enjoy reading about all his adventures. Makes me want to go traveling!
Jan
Deligthful account of an incredible journey. Does the trick of a good travel book: makes you itch to go and experience it yourself.
Andrea Coffin
I really enjoyed reading this..I loved (love) travelling and he takes you on the journey with him.
  • The Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La
  • In Arabian Nights: A Caravan of Moroccan Dreams
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • The Pillars of Hercules
  • Baghdad without a Map and Other Misadventures in Arabia
  • Trading With The Enemy: A Yankee Travels Through Castro's Cuba
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • As You Do: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
Michael Edward Palin, CBE, is an English comedian, actor, writer and television presenter best known for being one of the members of the comedy group Monty Python and for his travel documentaries.

Palin wrote most of his material with Terry Jones. Before Monty Python, they had worked on other shows such as The Ken Dodd Show, The Frost Report and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Palin appeared in some of the
More about Michael Palin...
Around the World in 80 Days: Companion to the Pbs Series (Best of the BBC) Himalaya Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1) Pole to Pole Sahara

“Night falls over Machu Picchu to the sound of Abba's 'Dancing Queen'.” 20 likes