Start by marking “True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Fast, effective answers to today's tough questions and slogans that often leave Christians speechless. A rapid response to help keep the dialogue going in witnessing circumstances.
Published May 1st 1998 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about True for You, But Not for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True for You, But Not for Me

Rebornbutterfly
This is an interesting book, Paul Copan has worked to compile the most common arguments against Christianity and writes a sort of rebuttal system to use against each.

However, i do think this book could possibly end up being very dangerous.

I could very easily see this becoming a "translation" book for well-meaning Christians to just start flipping through the pages - just like tourists in a foreign country.

I don't think this is the smartest nor most effective way to share Christ's love. I don't
Lynne
I've come to believe that the best use for books like this, that take objections to the Christian faith given by non-Christians and then give answers back to them, is for reflection by the Christian her/himself. Not to memorize answers or bone up for debates, but to seriously examine one's own faith and understanding of same as one considers the questions asked and answers given. Some objections given by non-Christians are silly, of course, but some are very sincere and staight forward -- and if ...more
Juan Reyes
The book starts tackling the topic of relativism. Copan argues against the various ways relativism expresses itself in the culture (e.g., moral relativism, pluralism). After showing the absurdity of relativism in general, Copan moves specifically to religious pluralism. After showing that each religion claims absolute truth, Copan defends the uniqueness of Christ and the reliability of Scripture. Finally, the question of the unevangelized is examined. Four postures are examined: restrictivism, a ...more
Brendan Egan
Two stars for being well-written and engaging. Copan appears to be surprisingly knowledgeable about other religions. Gotta hand that to him.

There's nothing here that's very convincing, though I do agree that it's silly to say that another culture is moral despite doing immoral things simply because their culture is different. Causing harm is unethical no matter what continent you live on.

If you're only good because someone told you to be good, then I'm a little afraid to be in a room alone with
Bret James Stewart
This review critiques “True For You But Not For Me:” Overcoming Objections to Christian Faith by Paul Copan. As the title implies, Copan has compiled arguments that can be used against five common objections to or issues non-believers have with the Christian faith: relativism (dealing with the establishment of the existence of truth), moral relativism (claiming morality is not based upon cultural conditioning or personal preference), religious pluralism, unique status claims regarding Jesus, and ...more
Matt Anderson
I've known about this book for a while, and was interested in reading it sometime. A class assignment for graduate school finally got me to pick it up and check out what Copan had to say. Although I was only required to read certain parts of this book for graduate school, and thus did not read it in whole, I found what I did read to be thought-provoking. Here is a summary of the sections that I read in the book:

Absolutely Relative

Paul Copan starts his book, True For You But Not For Me, by statin
Afton
I have not finished this book. In fact, I didn't get very far into it at all. I just want to make that clear so you know my review is minimal and probably unfair.

The thing is, it looked interesting to me because my religious beliefs have leaned more toward relativism lately. They have also begun to lean away from Christianity somewhat, which is one thing that made this book just not work for me right now. I admit I'm still recovering from a severe faith crisis and my beliefs are in constant flux
Cherie
Just like the title says, it will help you answer those questions that leave Christians speechless. I always knew that Christianity didn't have to be left up to the heart or the emotions. I always knew there was a way to intellectually explain the existence of God and Jesus and Christianity. I knew Christians shouldn't give up and say, Well, you just can't explain Christianity to those that are atheists or from other religions. I had something inside me that said, Yes, you can. It just takes res ...more
Dustin
This is so far the best argument against religious pluralism (and a its tie to moral relativism). This is a must read for anyone having to show the logical inconsistency of the view and how the Christian view makes sense of everything.
Brenan Duffy
I really enjoyed this read. His argument against mainstream post-modernism (atheism, pluralism, relativism, etc.) are filled will absolutes that can't be ignored. He points out every contradiction, flaw, and error within these worldviews.

Chris Bloom
I found this a very helpful and thoughtfully-written guide to refuting common misunderstandings of truth, especially as it pertains to evangelism. I had no trouble following the arguments, though that's likely because I just finished a philosophy class last month that dwelt heavily on this subject.

In all, I recommend this book heartily.
Ashish Jaituni
A superb book! A book that gives answers! I don't like books that tend to avoid giving answers especially when it comes to Philosophy and more so when it comes to a topic like Truth. The book deals with Relativism, Truth, Morality and the last part with Christianity. It is worth reading. Among the best books I have ever read!
Adam
This brings up many current viewpoints in American culture. That is the strong point of this book in my opinion. It also has some good ways to use logic to counter the heresies of pluralism, relativism, etc. The Scriptures are lacking though, and cannot recommend this one highly based on that.
Emanuel Drutu
Copan offers decent answers on how to attack relativism and defend absolutism.
Brian
Written by a Christian professor about common objections to professions of faith and religion in general. This is more of a theological philosophy book than anything else. It was good, but kind of slog to get all the way through.
Joel
This book offers great insight into the logical flaws of postmodern society. While I would encourage it to anyone interested in Christian apologetics, I would caution the reader that this is a dense, slow reading book.
Brian
accessible book for responding to some of the common one-liners you here from skeptics. The sections on epistemelogical and moral relativism were quite good
Craig Cottongim
I can't recommend this book enough! I revisit the book over & over again. I have an MA in apologetics, and this is one the best resources I've ever read!
Suz
This is a great book! It answers many many questions about relativism, post-modernism, etc...
Eric Molicki
Very standard fare that is heavily influenced by Arminian theology.
Stef Osborn
Not a big fan.
Gassaway Baptist
Gassaway Baptist marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Biju
Biju marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Obrd
Obrd marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Chester Mallory
Chester Mallory marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
  • Darwin on Trial
  • The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
  • The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe
  • Moody Handbook of Theology
Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics Passionate Conviction: Modern Discourses on Christian Apologetics Creation Out of Nothing: A Biblical, Philosophical, and Scientific Exploration Jesus' Resurrection: Fact or Figment?: A Debate Between William Lane Craig & Gerd Ludemann