I Am the Ice Worm

I Am the Ice Worm

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Also published under the title Alone in the Ice World, fourteen year-old Allison from suburban California is in a bush-plane flying to visit her mom in a small village in Alaska--and the plane crashes with her as the sole survivor. Rescued by an indigenous hunter who luckily happens upon the crash, she lives and travels with Iñupiat Alaskans, struggles with her withdrawal...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Boyds Mills Press (first published 1994)

Mandi Murphy
This is a really neat coming of age story about an all american girl who learns what's really important in life when her plane wrecks in Alaska. The main character develops beautifully, the story is poignant, and the ending is satisfying.
Cheryl in CC NV
Comparisons to Hatchet are misleading. Our gal is not alone - she just feels that way until she learns to accept the community's perspective. A tiny bit implausible, maybe, or a tiny bit forced, but still interesting and involving.
A year and a half ago – on Independence Day, actually – Allison’s mother and father declared independence of each other. They got a divorce. Since then, Allison’s lived with her father in their hot Californian home. Now she’s going to visit her mother who took a teaching job in Alaska. And the only way to get there is to fly in a ratty single engine airplane with a cocky pilot who’s making her ride on top of her own luggage. Not cool.

The only reason Allison’s even visiting her mom is because she...more
Sandy D.
An interesting kid's book about a 14 y.o. girl whose plane crashes in Alaska in the 1970's, where she is rescued by an Inupiat (Eskimo) hunter and spends several weeks in small villages before being re-united with mother. It's written in a rather flat style, and the story is rather adult for kids under 10 (divorce, alcoholism, domestic violence, death, a deaf and lame village outcast, and culture shock all play a role) and yet it's rather short and simply written for older kids/young teens. I th...more
10lees
This was an excellent little story about a 14 year old who crashes in Alaska and learns about the native culture. This was written based on the author's own memories from the late 1970s and is very descriptive of how Native Alaskans live(d). It is sad to see the culture in such decline and I can't believe too much has changed for the Natives.

I am not sure if it's because I grew up in Alaska, but I really loved this book and would recommend it strongly for the age group (8-14 I would guess). The...more
Maria
I didn't understand the ice worm comparison. But I did enjoy the transformation the main character 14 year old Allison Atwood goes through. I can totally picture where she was raised in Huntington Beach, CA and the mall she shopped in (South Coast Plaza). I hung out there as a teenager. A point to ponder is: what is true riches? Allison had lots of material goods but was she happy? Then after her plane crashes in Alaska and pilot dies, she gets rescued by an Inupiat eskimo. She has to live in th...more
Gabby
I Liked this book alot.It did remind me of the hatchet,but it was different.It all starts when she leaves to go visit her mother in Alaska,when her plane crashes,killing her pilot and leaving her stranded in the freezing weather of the artic plain for hours until, she is rescued by an Inupiat Trapper.He takes her back to his village;Where she is now know as the outsider.Over time they began to talk to her; But, not only does she makes in impact on their life,they make a impact on hers showing he...more
couurtneeey *
I thought this book was well writen. Marayann Easly expressed each character with a different feeling. The description of some parts of the book weren't as good as it should be. I guess this book wasn't written for my age level, but i still liked it. I expected more out of it. The setting changed a few times which was good because I dont like books that have the same setting throughout the whole book. The pace of the book was very fast. It felt like I finished the book in 1 hour.
Overall, I woul...more
Cornelia
I Am the Ice Worm is a story about a girl who goes down in a plane crash in the arctic on her way to visit her mother. After being saved by a passerby, she gets to know the local culture, giving the read a glimpse into the challenges of many first peoples. Allison quickly discovers what's important in her life and is open to life in a new way at the end of the book. I enjoyed the book, even though it was somewhat predictable. I think that for what this books shares, I can look past its somewhat...more
Katie van Langen
This is a very interesting book. Its the story of a girl who has to move to the arctic to live with her mother, but she is in a terrible plain crash and must learn to survive the bitter cold of the arctic.

I thought that the book was well written. I probably would have loved it more when I was younger. I do love that the main character is a girl against nature instead of the typical boy against nature.
Jena Gardner
Again, this one makes me shiver. Must stop reading cold books in the winter. A spoiled Ca girl ends up stranded in the Arctic after a tragic plane crash. SHe experiences the rigors of Arctic life and native cultures that seem to be from another time. Of course by the end, the protagonist prevails with a new way of looking at life. I like that this adventure story has a female protagonist.
Medina
I would have never read this if I had not needed and I book but I really enjoyed it. I liked how it showed how changes in culture can be both positive and negative simultaniously. Through the eyes of a child and then through the experiance of an adult. It would actualy be a good book to use to show how western influences changed Africa, Asia, Australia, N. and S. America.
Simon
Wow. Quite an interesting tale.

The beginning is VERY intense, with a man having a heart attack, but the rest, will have you at the edge of your seat. The last scene, it's a little droopy feeling. You read all that great stuff, and it's like him happy at home eating speghetti. Hm. Upsetting I suppose.
Kelsey
Mar 16, 2008 Kelsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 7-10
I thought this book was really good and kind of funny (about the moose finding part), and I really connected with the characters in some sort of weirdish way. The only thing I didn't like was how the words and sentences were weird with the whole not completing a sentence thing.
Sara
This book was good but it wasn't great. I think part of it was that it was way too easy for me. It was also very short so it didn't take too long to read. If you are looking for a challenging book it's not this one.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Girl survives plane crash in Alaska, encounters native Inuit.
I didn't particularly like the girl, but the circumstances and the addition of a deaf Inuit character made the book interesting.
LaWane
I was assigned to read it to the third grade class I was subbing for. I ended up taking it home and finishing it that night. A great read!
Elaina
So good! Read it with some of my friends and we LOVED it!
So many good and useful lifeskills everyone can use!
Hana Ehab
this was very gripping when i was in the 3rd grade. take this comment as you see fit.
Sylvia
Californian mall rat gets stranded in Alaska with Inuit and becomes enlightened.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Son commented that is is almost like the book Hatchet. He enjoyed it.
Holly Jorgenson
This book was just OK. It was like Hatchet, but not nearly as good.
Mackenzie
Alone in the ice world, its an amazing book to say the least.
Mariola Clark
This was an intreging book. Enjoyable.
jo mo