Start by marking “The War Of The Worlds/The Time Machine” as Want to Read:
The War Of The Worlds/The Time Machine

The War Of The Worlds/The Time Machine

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,487 ratings  ·  82 reviews
“No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man’s and yet as mortal as his own.” Thus begins one of the most terrifying and morally prescient science fiction novels ever penned. Beginning with a series of strange flashes in the distant night sky, the Martian attac...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published October 1st 1981 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The War Of The Worlds/The Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Of The Worlds/The Time Machine

Jay
I really enjoyed The Time Machine. In a way, it was a very simple story. Wells didn't batshit around with science, he just went in, said 'he built a time machine', and you dealt with it. Don't worry about how, it just happened. I wish this happened more with modern sci-fi writers, but unfortunately, most nerdy people (unlike myself) don't like that. They want to know how the time machine was built. To hell with gamma rays, they don't do zip!

The War of the Worlds was similar. The narrator admitte...more
Diana
I often wonder if HG Wells really did have a time machine. It is astounding that he wrote such great science fiction in the 1800s that you'd expect to read in the pulp fiction popularization of the 1960s! Mentions of things like lasers (though not named as such) are impressive.

Moreover Wells's works are just great reads and the opening to The War of the Worlds is second to none! So chilling - I recommend listening to an audiobook version where these lines are read out:

"...across the gulf of spac...more
Beth
The Time Machine was really interesting. It cast a picture of what might happen to our species in millions of years, if we're still around that long. The War of the Worlds was kind of silly. It might have seemed probable at the time it was written, but today we're so much more creative about aliens! This is too tame for our day and age.
Charles
Before I get into my review I'd like to say reading the introduction by Isaac Asimov I learned quite a bit about how Wells grew up and later in life he was influenced by Verne to write science fiction. I'm not going to lie I love Wells's books as well as Verne's books, I don't think one's better than the other they were both visionary in their writing that have influenced many authors. I still have quite a few more Wells and Verne books to read.

The Time Machine: (4.5/5)
I found some interesting p...more
The_Mad_Swede
A very nice volume collecting Wells' The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds.

The Time Machine is Wells' classic science fiction novella about a time traveller who journeys forward in time and finds that both human society and the species itself have developed in ways both astonishing and horrifying. It is a well-written and interesting text and clearly has not lost its strengths although more than a century has passed since it was first published.

The War of the Worlds, which is a longer piece...more
Sam Villaron
Science Fiction fans are not to be put-down or teased. We know what we want; stellar beings attacking the big cities, dense clouds of chemicals that make every cell and atom inside ooze out through all the holes of your body... and of course, baffle-making advanced technology such as heat/laser death rays.
In the great country of England, the country side of London becomes an evil layer for the Martians who begin to attack with heat rays. “Running”, for the humans, looses its sense of being an o...more
Matthew
SPOILERS

I have only read The Time Machine, for I read it as a separate book. Thus, I shall only review The Time Machine, for I have no desire to read The War of the Worlds.

Invisible Man, another of H.G. Wells' works is much better than The Time Machine.

Mainly because The Time Machine is a more-or-less dry book. Yes, the thought of a time machine sparks interest in me. But the future that Mr. Wells depicts seems possible, yet far-fetched at the same time.

Of course, anything can happen, but he mer...more
Stephanie E
In the book there was really only three characters, there were other characters but they didn't have a big role and were barely mentioned in the story.
1) The Time Traveller: 5- This character was described more that another character in the book, "His grey eyes shone and twinkled, and his usually pale face was flushed and animated"(Wells 1). We are never told what his name is because the narrator of the story wants to keep his identy a secret, "Where's ---?" said I, naming our host" (Wells 13).T...more
Gene Gant
I love science fiction, and these are two of the best novels in the genre I've read. Wells is a fantastic storyteller, and there are scenes in both novels that are masterfully suspenseful and frightening. These novels have been translated into multiple film/television versions, some of which are quite good. But none of them are as good as the original novels.
Peter Boody
Very interesting, probably as much as an artifact of the era in which it was written (1895) than as a time travel story.
Surprising how modern the Time Traveller's cultural and even scientific references seem today.
But still, I found the book powerful and compelling despite the thick filter of the narrator's voice, which may seem heavy handed and distracting to today's readers. The tale's polemical aspect as a tract on Darwinian social evolution also will be a distraction today. But I enjoyed th...more
James Violand
This two book volume contains the most popular of Wells's science fiction. Although written at the turn of the Nineteenth Century, it still is pertinent to today chiefly by promoting the virtues of mankind despite all its faults.
David
Science Fiction
Like most of H.G. Wells books, I thought it was very good. It didn’t stay on one specific subject for too long. The thing I liked most about it was the plot wasn’t to slow moving. For example in the book he built a time machine it didn’t explain in detail how he made it. I don’t like books that move to slow. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the ending. In the end the time traveler goes far into the future and never returns back to present time where his friends and family...more
Edward Davies
In spite of being well ahead of their time, and paving the way for all science fiction literature in the years following, these stories aren't that impressively written and can at times get a little repetitive and boring. Despite this weakness Wells does still manage to drag out what could otherwise be a few pages of scenery into an entire novella and comes up with some ingenious visuals.
Prakruti
the ideology that drives the conflict between the Morlocks and the Eloi is wonderful. The rest, a landscape for fanatasy realms. Overall it is a decent read, but asks for patience.
Monica
I liked how the Time Machine had the Traveler going far into the future after leaving Weena's time. I would've like see that in one of the movies. What an imagination Wells had to describe a future in which the sun is a red giant & most of the planet's life has died except for big crab-like beasts. War of the Worlds started good but began to drag as the plot changed focus from the Martians to the main character reacting to everything. I've seen the origina movie & the Tom Cruise remake a...more
Daniel Peterson
H.G.Wells wrote the science fiction book, The War of The Worlds.H.G.Wells has written many other science fiction books. There are a lot of other science fiction writers out there though. Which is about a mans story who survived the Martian invasion of Earth. The narrator also tells about his brother's adventure as well. Reading this book in this day and age is a little difficult because a lot of older words have been used to write this book. So reading and enjoying this becomes pretty difficult....more
Jen
The Time Machine, I read a while ago . . . I seem to remember Jake being a baby, so let's say 2003. It's in the same book as War of the Worlds, but for some reason I was never able to get into that one. But since I was adding this book today (and Time Machine isn't ever a book choice all on its own), I figured I'd read WotW so I could honestly add the book.

I saw the Tom Cruise movie when it came out (and it TOTALLY freaked me out), but I have to say that reading the book was SO much more satisfy...more
Abby
The Time Machine- I really enjoyed this story. At first I thought it was a slow and too much scientific talk for me. Once the scientist started talking about the time he entered, I found it exciting and thrilling. I enjoyed the descriptions of what society and huminity had become. This was a fun quick read.

The War of the Worlds- I liked that this book got right into the action. I found it intriguing and unsettling, fun to read around Halloween! I liked the storyline of the brother and I was happ...more
Jerome Peterson
What a classic read. This has to be the best science fiction book concerning an invasion from another planet. Written in the late 19th century Wells does a fantastic job with detail; especially when he describes the anatomy of the Martians. What impressed me the most about this book was his comparison of how the Martians treated all life forms to how mankind considers and treats the planet earth and its living creations. Take note here: ". . . if we have learned nothing else, this war has taught...more
Maureen Barnes
Trilby
Another book I taught just before retirement--but only "War of the Worlds."
As usual, I found the book far, far more absorbing than the three movie versions I've seen. The first person narration gives an immediacy to the terrifying scenes of aliens stomping around England and gobbling up humans. Wells gets in some good shots at religion and government in the process of scaring the bejesus out of the reader. All is lost! There's nowhere to hide!
Small wonder Orson Welles saw in this novel a metaph...more
Vera
I enjoyed Time machine but wasn't crazy about War of the Worlds. It made a better movie, though.
Birdy
Read just The Time Machine. A fun, easy read. Don't know that I liked it enough to read more Wells though.
Joando Fernandes
the book the time machine is about a time traveler who rides his time machine thousands of years into the future. And when he gets into the future he notices that buildings are falling and those civilizations that die. He is welcomed to the year 802701 by a group of people called the Eloi. And the more time he spends in that time he notices that there is another group of people the morlocks and inhabit the underworld and come up to eat the Eloi and take their things. After seeing the time travel...more
Muhammad Eid
هربرت جورج ويلز عبقري سبق عصره
Jon Ardis
Oct 08, 2007 Jon Ardis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction and Suspense Fans
This book has a wonderful atmosphere of mystery and suspense. You slowly follow the main character through his experiences as he he discovers what is happening. You hear his thoughts and share his feelings with incredible detail as he expereinces the amazing, horrifying and other worldly events that fill this book. The descriptions in this book of everything are incredibly detailed and offer a wonderful visual experience as you try to picture the events in your mind. This book locked HG Wells as...more
Kira Budge
The Time Machine is a great story with some interesting social commentary; The War of the Worlds is beautifully intense.
Valerie McNamee Earl
I love these two stories. Reading them is a lot more rewarding than watching them as movies, only because of the visions others have sometimes don't gel with mine. The recent War of the Worlds came close to the way the planet ended up looking like in my mind. I love creating the picture and scene myself. That is in a good book. The Time Machine is one of my favorites and I have had many a child I tutored read it also! War of the Worlds too, though it is pretty gruesome the way Wells wrote it!
Paul
110 years after it was written, and The War of the Worlds is still a frightening tale of intrigue. A fabulous, fast-paced read.

The Time Machine is somewhat less interesting, but at the time it was ground-breaking. Heck, he coined the term "time machine". Wells doesn't explore ideas such as changing the past or future, instead taking a scientific and philosophical approach to what a far-distant future could be. A good read, though less impressive than The War of the Worlds.
Kyle Smith
A great two in one science novel. The Time Machine is the best time travel story I've ever read, plus it leaves few to none headaches. The War of the Worlds is the first alien invasion story, and is the finest of the era. If you haven't read either of those I would highly recommend it. H.G Wells is one of the best science fiction authors out there. So if you are wary of science fiction dispel those woes, H.G Wells is the best writer to start reading science fiction from.
FHS English 12 - ...: Week Five 5 4 Mar 02, 2014 10:43AM
  • Jem
  • Last and First Men
  • Bring the Jubilee
  • Pavane
  • Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4)
  • Now Wait for Last Year
  • The Fifth Head of Cerberus
  • Arslan
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man