Nocover-blank-133x176
Immaculate deception: ...

Suzanne Arms

Immaculate deception: A new look at women and childbirth in America

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published 1977 by Bantam Books

Ruby
i only read the first chapter of this book. it seems a passionate, clear, and compelling apology for our being misled into fearing childbirth. i want it to be. wouldn't it be nice to not fear childbirth?!

it's historical and political, but in being so seems quite practical to the purpose of dispelling useless and/or destructive fears.
Jonelle
One of the first books I read years ago in my childbirth studies. Not an easy read, but oh so interesting. Times have changed in many ways, but also reverted in many ways too. The over medicalization of childbirth and treating women as sick patients still exists.
Robin
This classic looks into the birthing industry and the ways in politics and the medical model play into the decisions that are made during birth. Even though the information wasn't new, this book made me so mad that I couldn't finish it.
Andrea
This was pretty awedsome...it came out in the late 70's when women were looking for a change in choice in childbirth....a classic supporting midwives and homebirth
Leila
I started reading this book but had to return it to the library. I want to finish the Saramago book I'm currently reading.
Scottie
I read the original book in the late 70s and have skimmed the newer edition and love them both!
Deena Scintilla
Evidence-based book which is hard to read without an emotional response. (anger)
Heather
Jul 16, 2009 Heather marked it as to-read
Recommended to me by my mother-in-law. Will have to read it some day.
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Lb
Lb marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Karima
Karima marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Kayleigh
Kayleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Sandra
Sandra added it
Apr 06, 2013
Claudia Carrera
Claudia Carrera marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Feb 15, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2012
Aleta
Aleta added it
Oct 17, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth To Love and Let Go Imaculate Deception A Season to Be Born. Adoption: A Handful of Hope