Start by marking “Tillie and the Wall” as Want to Read:
Tillie and the Wall

Tillie and the Wall

All her life Tillie the mouse has wondered what lies on the other side of the wall. Imagining all sorts of fantastic possibilities, she digs a tunnel to get to the other side, where she discovers . . . other mice, just like her! Together, Tillie and her friends work to bring down the wall and unite mouse-kind. Written just before the fall of the Berlin wall, this seemingly ...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tillie and the Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tillie and the Wall

Chelsea
Apr 14, 2010 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I knew all of Lionni's books, but apparently I missed this one as a kid, because it was completely new to me when it came into the store last week. The illustrations, as always, were wonderful.

Mostly I'm reviewing this one because I'm dying to know if this was where the band Tilly and the Wall got their name. The internet doesn't seem to think so, but ... they must have, right? It's fact in my head now. :)
Suzanne Hlotke
Mar 16, 2017 Suzanne Hlotke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone in the USA should read this book before Donald Trump has all copies collected and destroyed.
Russell
While the seemingly obvious comparison would be to the wall in A Game of Thrones, ultimately the anthropological effect of the wall is more like the dust cloud around Krikkit in Life, the Universe and Everything. (view spoiler) ...more
Xinwen Xu
Apr 22, 2016 Xinwen Xu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is also from Leo Lionni. I really like this story. It is so interesting! The story is talk about a mice named Tillie. He live with other mouses together, and there is a wall Tillie want to know more about is . She begin to think a lot of ways in order to see the other side. For example, she told her friends let us try to climb, but the wall is very high. The they try to make a hole to peep through, but they give up finally because they are so exhausted, there are plenty of hard stone. N ...more
Laura Brower
Oct 15, 2016 Laura Brower rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Lio Lionni's words and illustrations combine to create a powerful story about a small creature.
Tillie, the youngest and most curious mouse of her nest, finds herself fascinated by the large wall that encircles them. With admirable determination, Tillie takes the initiative to discover what is on the other side. Throughout the picture book, young readers will follow Tillie as she never gives up and ultimately completes her goal when she finally reaches the other side.

Lionni's illustrations frame
Karin
Nov 18, 2014 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, think of when someone asks you if your dog is smart,and you answer that he's sweet, that's how I feel about this book. It was predictable to the point of being cliche', however, I have to applaud Lionni for allowing one of his beloved mice the courage to find the answer to her own question, and not accepting the status quo. In her quest to find what is on the other side of the wall she has lived with all her life, we are presented with three full-page spreads of delightful illustrations. A ...more
Anna Stover
Jul 09, 2013 Anna Stover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What seems predictable and cliche is often fresh and new for children, and Leo Lionni had a true gift for infusing his books with gentle messages of hope and acceptance that are always fresh and never trite. It helps if course that his illustrations are so beautiful, perfectly illustrating the mood and theme of each character and place on every page. It is important for adults to keep in mind that sometimes cliches are there for a reason, and to try to look at the lessons in a book written for c ...more
This book was a little boring. I found the plot predictable (not that I knew what was on the other side of the wall, but I knew Tillie would find it.) The ending wasn't surprising and I felt like the story was kind of bland. I would only recommend reading if you were a die-hard Lionni fan.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Connie
Jul 09, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story (most of Lionni's stories are sweet, aren't they?) about a mouse and... well, yes, a wall : )

She works hard to get over the wall, or around the wall, or through the wall... until finally she realizes she can go UNDER it, and she's hailed as a hero for ever.

I don't know why Lionni's stories are so good, there's not much too them, but they... they last.
Janet
Tillie wonders what is on the other side of the Wall and pictures a fantastical world there. When Tillie finds a way to get to the other side, she finds another world that is extraordinary in its ordinariness.

Age: 2+

Skill: Narrative Skills (This book has a well-defined problem that is solved by the end. Children can talk about the problem, how it was solved, and the final outcome.)
Emerson School  Library
I love that the free thinkers and outsiders in Lionni's books always win out because the others around them appreciate their quirks and their art. They're visionaries whose curiosity pays off because the others in their communities are their best selves. It makes for an awfully nice read-aloud.
Mckinley
Oct 27, 2014 Mckinley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, rodent
What's on the other side of the wall? Curious mouse finds more of same and celebrates. Exciting premise ends up so boring.
Anna Wick
Feb 04, 2014 Anna Wick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books because it encourages students to see whats on "the other side". It encourages them to do something they've never done before.
Pinn
I learned about Lionni and his beautiful art. Now I am reading all the others.
MBC
Mar 16, 2016 MBC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Preschool/Toddler
Sarah Goodwin
Mar 13, 2013 Sarah Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pwrseverance
This book encourages students to dream, and then persevere to achieve those dreams! It is an inspiring book that would be great for a read aloud.
Molly
Jul 09, 2014 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It was alright- some promising artwork inside, even if the story was so-so.
Marjorie
Jan 25, 2016 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
huh. i thought i had every book by leo lionni, and then found this in the library. it was written before the fall of the Berlin wall. a sweetly simple yet powerful fable
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2013
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Miki
Miki rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Katie Heginbotham
Katie Heginbotham rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2013
Leia
Leia rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Marc Gipple
Marc Gipple rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
JCPJ's Picture Books
JCPJ's Picture Books rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2017
Lynna
Lynna rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2011
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Ppena
Ppena rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2013
Erin Wetzel
Erin Wetzel rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2010
Dara
Dara rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2012
  • Homemade Love: Picture Book
  • Elena's Serenade
  • A Good Day
  • Too Loud Lily
  • The Neighborhood Mother Goose (Ala Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • Umbrella
  • George and the Dragon
  • The Giant Hug
  • Just in Case
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • ¡Sí, Se Puede! / Yes, We Can!: Janitor Strike in L.A.
Leo Lionni wrote and illustrated more than 40 highly acclaimed children's books. He received the 1984 American Institute of Graphic Arts Gold Medal and was a four-time Caldecott Honor Winner--for Inch by Inch, Frederick, Swimmy, and Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse. Leo Lionni died in October of 1999 at his home in Tuscany, Italy, at the age of 89.

Leo Lionni has gained international renown for his
More about Leo Lionni...