Start by marking “Eisenhower” as Want to Read:
Eisenhower

Eisenhower

This new, in-depth life of Eisenhower offers fresh perspectives, not only on World War II and the Korean War but also on the Cold War, the civil rights movement, McCarthyism, the U-2 crisis and Vietnam.

Geoffrey Perret's Eisenhower gives us, for the first time, the whole man. It brings together a huge amount of material, much of it made available to researchers only
Published March 2nd 2000 by Random House (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Eisenhower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eisenhower

Steve
Jan 08, 2017 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“Eisenhower” by Geoffrey Perret was published in 1999, two years after the publication of his biography of Ulysses S. Grant. Perret is an author and historian and served for three years in the U.S. Army. Among his dozen published books are biographies of JFK, Lincoln and Douglas MacArthur.

Perret’s biography was the first comprehensive review of Eisenhower following the publication of Stephen Ambrose’s two-volume series in the early 1980s. With 608 pages of
Brian
It is very difficult to write a one volume biography of Eisenhower but this comes as close as one can get to being a thorough and accurate account of his life. The biography is a fair treatment of Eisenhower and looks at many of the myths that have come up about his life and dispels them. Starting with his early years and time growing up in Abeline to the days in the white house the reader can clearly see the evolution of Eisenhower. It covers not only his personal evolution but really looks at ...more
John
Aug 08, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had always thought of President Eisenhower as very easy going, not having any ambition and things just falling into his lap. This biography relieved me of that misconception.

He worked hard in school, very much wanted to get ahead. When he graduated from West Point he made it known he wanted to marry a rich woman and he did. And so on...

Another misconception of mine is that Mamie went to school here in Denver. Her dad was a very successful business man in Iowa, retired when he was 45 and moved
Chris
This is a good narrative about Dwight D. Eisenhower's life. Considering the subject matter (WWII and Ike's presidency), it's fairly short at 608 pages. I liked the way the author touched on things and gave his point of view on Ike's notes. Many of these points were insightful, because the author was sure to list both the mistakes and accomplishments that he saw.

On page 412, I found the note about the Republican party of the 1950s quite interesting, given the points made about the UN, Social Secu
Dulcie
Dec 25, 2016 Dulcie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coming to Eisenhower relatively neutral I carry no can for either supporters or detractors.
The only lesson I take from this book is that the author ran out if interest in his subject well before the final curtain.
Based on what I have just read Eisenhower was neither principled nor ethical.Pure laissez - faire to get through any problem no matter what it is. Admirable in a soldier & an enterprise manager, absolutely deplorable in a politician.
Greg Holdsworth
Jan 02, 2014 Greg Holdsworth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best overall biography of Eienhower I have read.
Terrific descriptions of his dealings with large ego
generals and politicians, modestly and wisely managing
these men.I didn't expect to like this as well as I did,
as I didn't care so much for Perret's biography of U.S. Grant
so maybe I will have to reread that.
Paulcbry
Jul 06, 2015 Paulcbry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eisenhower was a great military leader but as the author illustrates a competent though not great president. From his humble midwest beginnings to the seat of power in Washington Eisenhower's fascinating life is thoroughly explored by the author. Well worth reading.
Amy
A decent bio, I was really enjoying it till I got the presidency. The authors started to shift the book from a strict timeline to each chapter being about a different event in the Eisenhower presidency.
Geno
May 20, 2010 Geno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a decdent bio
Kevin
Terrific biography. As full and varied as Ike's life was, though, even a 700+ page biography seemed like a survey at times and left me wanting more.
Barb Shade
Jan 11, 2014 Barb Shade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography

This book was informative, well researched and well balanced dealing with the military and political aspects of Eisenhower's life.
Burt Schoeppe
Nov 29, 2014 Burt Schoeppe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good start to finish discussion on Ike the man.
Jim Swike
An amazing life, General to President. A great book that brings to Eisenhower to life. I did not know a lot about him. I do now. Enjoy!
Chris Carson
Chris Carson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2010
Raul Ubieta
Raul Ubieta rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2011
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Jerry Stinnett
Jerry Stinnett rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2007
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Paul D.  Miller
Paul D. Miller rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Mike Popek
Mike Popek rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2013
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Jim Roethler
Jim Roethler rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Robert Rigoni
Robert Rigoni rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
  • An American Requiem: God, My Father & the War That Came Between Us
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
  • Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969
  • The Patton Papers: 1940-1945
  • Sgt. York: His Life, Legend  Legacy: The Remarkable Untold Story of Sgt. Alvin C. York
  • T.R.: The Last Romantic
  • The Japan Journals: 1947-2004
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • James Madison: A Biography
  • Theodore Roosevelt: A Strenuous Life
  • On Fire
  • John Steinbeck, Writer
Geoffrey Perrett is an author who writes about American history. His work focuses primarily upon the political dynamics that influence strategic and tactical military decisions, as well as broader political themes. He has published over thirteen books dealing with a variety of topics, among them the U.S. Presidency - including several biographies of iconic Presidents such as John F. Kennedy and Ul ...more
More about Geoffrey Perrett...