Start by marking “Mental Floss: Scatterbrained” as Want to Read:
Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

What does Greece (the country) have to do with Grease (the movie)? And what does Grease (the movie) have to do with greasy food? Plenty, if you ask the folks at mental_floss.

Published July 3rd 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss

Richard Derus
Jul 05, 2013 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

Based on the magazine's "Scatterbrained" section, the mental_floss gang has taken on the Mount Everest of trivia challenges: connecting the entire world through the juiciest facts they could find. How do you get from Puppies to Stalin; from Hum
Jesse
Dec 25, 2009 Jesse rated it it was amazing
I love mental_floss because they have such fun information. Full of fun facts about relationships, ancient history, world wars, Roman emporers, American presidents, food, pop culture...it never gets dull. They way this one is structured is that there each article has a way of blending into the next one which can be pretty clever. The sections are broken up into means of connecting things like the chapter that connects Puppies to Stalin. Definitely worth the read.
Jan 09, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
After having read three mental_floss books in a row (as well as being a subscriber to the magazine) it's now clear to me that they recycle a lot of their information. It's a bit lazy, no doubt, but this is still a great trivia book.
Runa
Dec 11, 2012 Runa rated it really liked it
So, off the bat, to be completely honest, I only read this book because it had Hank and John Green's names attached to it. It was really cool to hear so many things that have been referenced in vlogbrothers videos, like famous last words, Hodel the serial killer, child prodigies, using math textbooks as bully defense mechanisms, and most egregiously of all to me, "some infinities are bigger than others", which we now see come full circle in John's 2012 publication of The Fault in Our Stars. Thes ...more
Jim
Nov 01, 2014 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
found a couple errors that make me wonder about the rest of the book. dna didn't prove thomas jefferson fathered w/sally hemmings children. dna did prove that thomas or his brother did. there's little doubt that thomas did through the hemings family's interviews, but dna only added some proof.

and the book repeats h.l. mencken's deadline induced story that a president got stuck in a bath tub. great story.

one thing worth giving the editors credit for is knowing harry truman's middle name and not h
Heather
Feb 09, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
from the book:
Jack Benny setup with a local florist to deliever a rose every day to his wife, after his death.

James Bond titles lose something when they were being translated into other languages. From Russia with Love = Good Kisses from Russia[French]. License to Kill = The Cancelled License[Japanese]. Octopussy = 007 Averted the Blast Point [Chinese]

Many former US Presidents are not buried in US soil. Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Bush are not dead, hence not buried. Adams, Quincey Adams, Garfield
Sara
Jul 16, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: geeks
Recommended to Sara by: Mental_Floss Magazine
If you know me, you know I love books of trivia. This is one of the best I've come across. It's fun, it had lots of facts I hadn't read before, it was long enough to be satisfying and short enough not to feel like a textbook. The trivia is arranged in little blurbs that are (sometimes very) tangentially connected to each other, so there's kind of a flow to it.

I'd say it was worth every penny except I didn't pay for it ;)
Eryn
Jun 02, 2011 Eryn rated it it was amazing
it was like if every vlogbrothers video was set to print; informative and funny. as i'm reading, i'm hearing hank talk.
Angie Ungaro
Jul 30, 2007 Angie Ungaro rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Trivia junkies
Shelves: adult_lit
Good stuff. Lots of random trivia.
Mar 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Good stuff! Feel smarter in just a few minutes a day!
Carla
Mar 30, 2013 Carla rated it really liked it
The Mental Floss books are always interesting, this one has (as per usual) a good mix of trivia from various subjects.
Notdorothy
Aug 23, 2009 Notdorothy rated it liked it
Mental Floss: Scatterbrained (Mental_floss) by Editors Of Mental Floss (2006)
Kristi Franklin
Mar 04, 2010 Kristi Franklin rated it it was amazing
the best bathroom reader ever.
Dan DeMaioNewton
Jul 09, 2015 Dan DeMaioNewton rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone!
Absolutely fun summer reading. Easy to read, great things to learn, and an insane comedy of connections. Great job Mental Floss team!
Summer
Jun 18, 2011 Summer rated it it was amazing
I LEARNED SO MANY THINGS FROM THIS BOOK! And I got it signed by John Green (who helped edit it) when I met him. Yay!
Nancy B
Aug 17, 2013 Nancy B rated it really liked it
I love trivia, and Mental Floss makes it extra fun. They're so funny! I sometimes wonder if they have all their information correct. I need a Mental Floss fact checker.
Steven
Oct 28, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This one is just plain fun to read. I read it all the way through once, a few years ago, and just started reading it again. It'll be a nice gauge of my memory.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Leerah
Leerah rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Holger
Holger rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Nurshafiqa
Dec 13, 2011 Nurshafiqa rated it liked it
full of little facts put together in a fun way.
90% interesting, 10% dull.
good read nonetheless.
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2009
Tracyk
Tracyk rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Kurt Hammerbeck
Kurt Hammerbeck rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Indri
Indri rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • The Mental Floss History of the World: An Irreverent Romp through Civilization's Best Bits
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Book of Secrets
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • The Utterly, Completely, And Totally Useless Fact-o-pedia
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Secret Lives of Great Artists: What Your Teachers Never Told You About Master Painters and Sculptors
  • The Straight Dope
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots-Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History, and Beyond!
  • Secret Lives of Great Filmmakers: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the World's Greatest Directors
  • The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong
  • Never Shower in a Thunderstorm
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
Mental Floss (also credited as mental_floss) is a trivia and humor magazine.

mental_floss is a bi-monthly American magazine, launched in 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama, that presents facts and trivia in a humorous way. MentalFloss.com is also host to a popular blog, which contains additional trivia, features, and interesting news articles.
More about Mental Floss...