Start by marking “Mental Floss: Scatterbrained” as Want to Read:
Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

What does Greece (the country) have to do with Grease (the movie)? And what does Grease (the movie) have to do with greasy food? Plenty, if you ask the folks at mental_floss.

Published July 3rd 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

Based on the magazine's "Scatterbrained" section, the mental_floss gang has taken on the Mount Everest of trivia challenges: connecting the entire world through the juiciest facts they could find. How do you get from Puppies to Stalin; from Hum
Jess
I love mental_floss because they have such fun information. Full of fun facts about relationships, ancient history, world wars, Roman emporers, American presidents, food, pop culture...it never gets dull. They way this one is structured is that there each article has a way of blending into the next one which can be pretty clever. The sections are broken up into means of connecting things like the chapter that connects Puppies to Stalin. Definitely worth the read.
After having read three mental_floss books in a row (as well as being a subscriber to the magazine) it's now clear to me that they recycle a lot of their information. It's a bit lazy, no doubt, but this is still a great trivia book.
Jim
found a couple errors that make me wonder about the rest of the book. dna didn't prove thomas jefferson fathered w/sally hemmings children. dna did prove that thomas or his brother did. there's little doubt that thomas did through the hemings family's interviews, but dna only added some proof.

and the book repeats h.l. mencken's deadline induced story that a president got stuck in a bath tub. great story.

one thing worth giving the editors credit for is knowing harry truman's middle name and not h
Runa
So, off the bat, to be completely honest, I only read this book because it had Hank and John Green's names attached to it. It was really cool to hear so many things that have been referenced in vlogbrothers videos, like famous last words, Hodel the serial killer, child prodigies, using math textbooks as bully defense mechanisms, and most egregiously of all to me, "some infinities are bigger than others", which we now see come full circle in John's 2012 publication of The Fault in Our Stars. Thes ...more
Heather
from the book:
Jack Benny setup with a local florist to deliever a rose every day to his wife, after his death.

James Bond titles lose something when they were being translated into other languages. From Russia with Love = Good Kisses from Russia[French]. License to Kill = The Cancelled License[Japanese]. Octopussy = 007 Averted the Blast Point [Chinese]

Many former US Presidents are not buried in US soil. Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Bush are not dead, hence not buried. Adams, Quincey Adams, Garfield
Sara
Jul 20, 2008 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: geeks
Recommended to Sara by: Mental_Floss Magazine
If you know me, you know I love books of trivia. This is one of the best I've come across. It's fun, it had lots of facts I hadn't read before, it was long enough to be satisfying and short enough not to feel like a textbook. The trivia is arranged in little blurbs that are (sometimes very) tangentially connected to each other, so there's kind of a flow to it.

I'd say it was worth every penny except I didn't pay for it ;)
Nancy B
I love trivia, and Mental Floss makes it extra fun. They're so funny! I sometimes wonder if they have all their information correct. I need a Mental Floss fact checker.
Steven
This one is just plain fun to read. I read it all the way through once, a few years ago, and just started reading it again. It'll be a nice gauge of my memory.
Eryn
it was like if every vlogbrothers video was set to print; informative and funny. as i'm reading, i'm hearing hank talk.
Summer
I LEARNED SO MANY THINGS FROM THIS BOOK! And I got it signed by John Green (who helped edit it) when I met him. Yay!
Carla
The Mental Floss books are always interesting, this one has (as per usual) a good mix of trivia from various subjects.
Nurshafiqa
full of little facts put together in a fun way.
90% interesting, 10% dull.
good read nonetheless.
Notdorothy
Mental Floss: Scatterbrained (Mental_floss) by Editors Of Mental Floss (2006)
Good stuff! Feel smarter in just a few minutes a day!
Kristi Franklin
the best bathroom reader ever.
Angie Ungaro
Aug 08, 2007 Angie Ungaro rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trivia junkies
Shelves: adult_lit
Good stuff. Lots of random trivia.
Shreeja Chatterjee
Shreeja Chatterjee marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Mary Elise
Mary Elise marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Snflgus
Snflgus marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Andrey Butenko
Andrey Butenko marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Suzy
Suzy marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
  • Mental Floss Presents Forbidden Knowledge: A Wickedly Smart Guide to History's Naughtiest Bits (Mental Floss Presents)
  • The Mental Floss History of the World: An Irreverent Romp through Civilization's Best Bits
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Book of Secrets
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • The Straight Dope
  • Never Shower in a Thunderstorm
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • 1,001 Facts That Will Scare the S#*t Out of You: The Ultimate Bathroom Reader
  • Secret Lives of Great Artists: What Your Teachers Never Told You about Master Painters and Sculptors
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Napoleon's Privates: 2,500 Years of History Unzipped
  • Secret Lives of the First Ladies
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • The Second Book of General Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is (Still) Wrong
Mental Floss (also credited as mental_floss) is a trivia and humor magazine.

mental_floss is a bi-monthly American magazine, launched in 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama, that presents facts and trivia in a humorous way. MentalFloss.com is also host to a popular blog, which contains additional trivia, features, and interesting news articles.
More about Mental Floss...
mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem) Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual Mental Floss: What's the Difference? The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America Med School in a Box