Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

Mental Floss: Scatterbrained

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

What does Greece (the country) have to do with Grease (the movie)? And what does Grease (the movie) have to do with greasy food? Plenty, if you ask the folks at mental_floss.

Published July 3rd 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: The bathroom read to end all bathroom reads!

Based on the magazine's "Scatterbrained" section, the mental_floss gang has taken on the Mount Everest of trivia challenges: connecting the entire world through the juiciest facts they could find. How do you get from Puppies to Stalin; from Hum...more
Jess
I love mental_floss because they have such fun information. Full of fun facts about relationships, ancient history, world wars, Roman emporers, American presidents, food, pop culture...it never gets dull. They way this one is structured is that there each article has a way of blending into the next one which can be pretty clever. The sections are broken up into means of connecting things like the chapter that connects Puppies to Stalin. Definitely worth the read.
After having read three mental_floss books in a row (as well as being a subscriber to the magazine) it's now clear to me that they recycle a lot of their information. It's a bit lazy, no doubt, but this is still a great trivia book.
Runa
So, off the bat, to be completely honest, I only read this book because it had Hank and John Green's names attached to it. It was really cool to hear so many things that have been referenced in vlogbrothers videos, like famous last words, Hodel the serial killer, child prodigies, using math textbooks as bully defense mechanisms, and most egregiously of all to me, "some infinities are bigger than others", which we now see come full circle in John's 2012 publication of The Fault in Our Stars. Thes...more
Heather
from the book:
Jack Benny setup with a local florist to deliever a rose every day to his wife, after his death.

James Bond titles lose something when they were being translated into other languages. From Russia with Love = Good Kisses from Russia[French]. License to Kill = The Cancelled License[Japanese]. Octopussy = 007 Averted the Blast Point [Chinese]

Many former US Presidents are not buried in US soil. Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Bush are not dead, hence not buried. Adams, Quincey Adams, Garfield...more
Sara
Jul 20, 2008 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: geeks
Recommended to Sara by: Mental_Floss Magazine
If you know me, you know I love books of trivia. This is one of the best I've come across. It's fun, it had lots of facts I hadn't read before, it was long enough to be satisfying and short enough not to feel like a textbook. The trivia is arranged in little blurbs that are (sometimes very) tangentially connected to each other, so there's kind of a flow to it.

I'd say it was worth every penny except I didn't pay for it ;)
Nancy B
I love trivia, and Mental Floss makes it extra fun. They're so funny! I sometimes wonder if they have all their information correct. I need a Mental Floss fact checker.
Steven
This one is just plain fun to read. I read it all the way through once, a few years ago, and just started reading it again. It'll be a nice gauge of my memory.
Eryn
it was like if every vlogbrothers video was set to print; informative and funny. as i'm reading, i'm hearing hank talk.
Summer
I LEARNED SO MANY THINGS FROM THIS BOOK! And I got it signed by John Green (who helped edit it) when I met him. Yay!
Carla
The Mental Floss books are always interesting, this one has (as per usual) a good mix of trivia from various subjects.
Nurshafiqa
full of little facts put together in a fun way.
90% interesting, 10% dull.
good read nonetheless.
Notdorothy
Mental Floss: Scatterbrained (Mental_floss) by Editors Of Mental Floss (2006)
Good stuff! Feel smarter in just a few minutes a day!
Kristi Franklin
the best bathroom reader ever.
Angie Ungaro
Aug 08, 2007 Angie Ungaro rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Trivia junkies
Shelves: adult_lit
Good stuff. Lots of random trivia.
Ronaldo Carillo
Ronaldo Carillo marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Karen Munroe-Sherwood
Karen Munroe-Sherwood marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
T.marcetti
T.marcetti is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Amy Salitsky
Amy Salitsky marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Tania Vanhoof
Tania Vanhoof marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Bri
Bri added it
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mental Floss (also credited as mental_floss) is a trivia and humor magazine.

mental_floss is a bi-monthly American magazine, launched in 2001 in Birmingham, Alabama, that presents facts and trivia in a humorous way. MentalFloss.com is also host to a popular blog, which contains additional trivia, features, and interesting news articles.
More about Mental Floss...
mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem) Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual Mental Floss: What's the Difference? Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets