Start by marking “Mental Floss presents In the Beginning: From Big Hair to the Big Bang, mental_floss presents a Mouthwatering Guide to the Origins of Everything” as Want to Read:

Sure, you know all about the birds and bees. But did Dad ever tell you that it wasn't a stork that put that shiny can opener in your kitchen drawer? Or paperclips started out as proud, Nazi-fighting warriors? And did he tell you how cruise control was originally conceived by a blind genius? From mullets to Silly Putty, lie detectors to karaoke, we've got the true stories b ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mental Floss presents In the Beginning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mental Floss presents In the Beginning

Moms are Nuts by Amy VansantWeird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen CampbellDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsCalico Jack in your Garden by Karl WigginsF in Exams by Richard Benson
Best Humorous Non-Fiction
51st out of 250 books — 182 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithI Am America by Stephen ColbertThe Mayonnaise Affair by Frank LinnCandy Girl by Diablo CodyStiff by Mary Roach
Pop My Culture
95th out of 124 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Wileyacez
Feb 28, 2014 Wileyacez rated it liked it
Bought this one from B&N's clearance one year and took it to work to read at lunch. Just cleared it out of the locker and finally READ it. Pretty interesting stuff; some of it tied to "Things You Missed in History" podcasts. Basically, it divides things up into like groupings (history, science, etc.) and then gives a date and the origin story. Quite a lot of fun.
Hal
Jul 23, 2014 Hal rated it liked it
The Mental Floss books are entertaining. No exception with this one. Origins of things one would have no idea to. They say learning something new each day is one of the keys to maintaining mental sharpness as we age. These books fit the bill.
Tracy T
May 25, 2014 Tracy T rated it it was ok
I love trivia but found this book to be too wordy. It didn't hold my interest.
Heydi Smith
Jul 31, 2014 Heydi Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-non-fic
Amazing and interesting facts, left me wanting to get all the other books and buy a magazine subscription.
Ms. Yingling
Dec 26, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it it was ok
A little disappointed in this one. It was vaguely amusing, but covered information about things that I already knew. Don't know exactly what I was hoping for, but it also had enough information that was inappropriate for middle school students that I can't really put it in my school library, either.
Larry Hostetler
Feb 16, 2014 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Easy reading, interesting. Each page (or two) has the history of various items from paper clips to the word "guy." While I used it primarily for bathroom reading (it's very appropriate for that use), it is informative and worth the read. It won't change your view on life, but will add to your knowledge, and might even win a bet in a bar.
Duane
Dec 10, 2009 Duane rated it it was amazing
Being a lover of trivia, finding this book was a joy to me. Done in a easy-to-understand writing style, the authors do a great job of including humor and facts to make an enjoyable read about how everyday things got their unique starts and improvements. A great book for fact lovers.
Dee Shihab
Jul 24, 2010 Dee Shihab rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Mental Floss, and this is one of my favorites books by them. You'll find a lot of information on how many of the things you encounter in daily life have started. It's a really fun read.
Danielle
Jan 17, 2016 Danielle added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Anything by Mental Floss is fun and informative, and fulfils the promise of making you "Feel Smart Again!" in easy-to-digest chunks. This one did not disappoint.
SC
Jan 27, 2013 SC added it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Amanda
Jan 12, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like facts, bathroom readers
Recommended to Amanda by: Will
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Lots of interesting facts & stories about various topics. My favorites were the stories of traffic lights, big hair, surgery, and London Bridge.
Brittany
Dec 03, 2010 Brittany rated it it was amazing
You know me and my trivia! This book was tons of fun to read when I wanted something light but still intriguing.
Morgan
Feb 24, 2011 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I love these kinds of books, this one was inspired.
Tell the origin stories of damn near everything.
Carla
Apr 29, 2013 Carla rated it liked it
This one was OK, I think I prefer the all history editions of Mental Floss better.
Hank Hanna
Jul 30, 2011 Hank Hanna rated it really liked it
A bunch of stuff that you never knew you wanted or needed to know. Great read.
Sue
Sep 18, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Loved the illustrations, book was hilarious.
Daniellgibson Gibson
Mar 21, 2009 Daniellgibson Gibson rated it really liked it
I love all things mental floss!
Connie Curtis
Connie Curtis marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Silvia Ching
Silvia Ching rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Helena Weltschmerz
Helena Weltschmerz marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Elizabeth Gosse
Elizabeth Gosse marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Susan Sheffield
Susan Sheffield marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • Mental Floss: Scatterbrained
  • Mental Floss Presents Be Amazing: Glow in the Dark, Control the Weather, Perform Your Own Surgery, Get Out of Jury Duty, Identify a Witch, Colonize a Nation, ... Girl, Make a Zombie, Start Your Own Religion
  • Mental Floss: Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets
  • The Mental Floss History of the United States: The (Almost) Complete and (Entirely) Entertaining Story of America
  • The Amazing Book of Useless Information: More Things You Didn't Need to Know But Are About to Find Out
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • You Did What?: Mad Plans and Great Historical Disasters
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things Not Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • The Experts' Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students
  • How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed