Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #2)

Death Of A Hollow Man (Chief Inspector Barnaby #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Actors do love their dramas, and the members of the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society are no exception. Passionate love scenes, fits of ego, jealous rages, operatic reconciliations--put together, they�re better than a paycheck, which is good thing, because no one in this production of Amadeus is getting one. However, even the most theatrically minded have to admit that murd...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Felony & Mayhem (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Death Of A Hollow Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Of A Hollow Man

Remembrance by Michelle MadowIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsVengeance by Michelle MadowV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Masks
33rd out of 166 books — 74 voters
The Virgin in the Ice by Ellis PetersA Great Deliverance by Elizabeth  GeorgeMonk's Hood by Ellis PetersThe Rose Rent by Ellis PetersDead Man's Ransom by Ellis Peters
Best Mysteries from the 1980s
23rd out of 120 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Judy
An important part of the cultural life of many small towns is community theater and the Causton Amateur Dramatic Society of Causton, England is no exception. On the opening night of their production of Amadeus, the leading man grabbed a "safe" razor from the prop tray during a scene toward the end of the play and drew it across his throat in a very dramatic manner in full view of the audience. Unfortunately, someone had removed the tape from the razor's edge and the actor bled to death on stage....more
Tempo de Ler
O enredo de 'Morte em Palco' não é extraordinariamente complexo mas o tom divertido e ligeiramente irónico com que é narrado, aliado à poderosa capacidade de descrição e caracterização da autora - Caroline Graham - fazem deste livro um policial extraordinário.

Graham demora o seu tempo a descrever-nos as personagens e os respectivos problemas pessoais, levando-nos pela mão enquanto nos apresenta as diversas delícias e venenos do teatro amador, mantendo-nos alerta a pistas ainda antes do crime ac...more
Daniel Weir
What I found particularly good about this was, not the mystery of whodunit, but the characters and the problems they faced that had nothing to do with the murder.
Fanficfan44
I have been on a Midsomer Murders binge lately. Being laid up off and on with my ankle injury, I have watched the whole series on Acorn TV and loved it. I finally decided to start reading the books. This is the second in the book series.

An all round good mystery read, Death of a Hollow Man, was adapted very closely in the TV series. The characters of Barnaby, Joyce, Cully and Troy were all here. Cully didn’t have much space devoted to her but the reader still develops a sense of who she is as a...more
Nancy Oakes
Oh, I should never watch the dramatization of a novel if I'm planning to read it, because I actually knew the identity of the killer before I started. I love the Inspector Barnaby murder mysteries dramatized on the Biography channel, and they have renewed my interest in Caroline Graham's books which have just been sitting here, unread, on my shelves for years.

So on to this book: who would like it? Anyone who's followed the series on television would enjoy it; anyone who likes British mysteries w...more
Maria
Neste segundo livro de Caroline Graham publicado na série Crime à Hora do Chá, o inspector Tom Barnaby vai-se deparar com um crime um tanto ou quanto peculiar.

Na estreia de uma peça de teatro amador, em Causten, uma pequena localidade britânica, um dos actores principais é assassinado. Mas o crime é quase perfeito. Na hora do protagonista fingir um suicídio com uma lâmina, que deveria ter sido protegida com fita adesiva, esta torna-se real e o actor acaba por morrer em palco. A assistir à peça e...more
Justine Olawsky
Another murder mystery by Caroline Graham, this time one with her sleuth, Inspector Barnaby. Very well done -- nicely-drawn characters, real atmosphere, and a snappy plot. As pleasing a distraction as you are likely to find, if you find pleasant distraction in British who-dun-its (which I obviously do).

The community theatre group of Causton is gearing up for another theatrical extravaganza under the imperious thumb of impresario and director Harold Winstanley. This time, they are putting on Ama...more
Andreia Silva
Um palco, uma peça de teatro e um grupo de encenação com personagens caricatas e um tanto ou quanto esquisitas, juntos, com a promessa de haver um crime pelo meio. Podemos resumir a premissa de "Morte em Palco" assim e podemos pensar estarmos perante uma obra de afiar a curiosidade.

Não sei o que acontece convosco mas quando leio um policial, gosto que haja sangue-e-tripas e gosto que a autora não em enrole. Eu sei que vai haver um crime, por isso não gosto que passem quarenta por cento das págin...more
Sofia Teixeira
Estreei-me com Caroline Graham no primeiro volume desta colecção - Morte na Aldeia - e foi com entusiasmo que peguei em mais uma das suas histórias. Com um desenvolver de história um pouco mais lento do que aquele que esperava, Morte em Palco mostrou-se uma leitura fácil, cheia de peripécias e com muitas interrogações.

O cenário leva-nos para um palco de teatro em que os seus protagonistas são personagens muito curiosos. Cada actor tem as suas manias e todos buscam os seus momentos de ribalta, un...more
Rog Harrison
This is the second time I have read this. This is different from the first book as it is really the story of the people involved in an amateur dramatic society and the murder does not take place until well into the book. Barnaby is slightly involved as his wife is part of the group and both he and his sergeant, Troy, are in the audience when the crime occurs on stage at the theatre. Barnaby and Troy begin their investigation but the story of the characters involved continues with the author drop...more
Cheryl
The author builds the characters for the first third of the book. It was rather confusing as there were many characters and it was hard for me to keep them all straight. The murder finally happens and the Inspector gets to work solving the murder. Then it is hard to put down. I wanted to discover the culprit. It was who I suspected as it turned out; but not for the reasons it was done.

This is the basis for the Inspector Barnaby mysteries on BBC. The main characters for the series are here; but...more
Damaskcat
The local amateur dramatic group is rehearsing for Peter Shaffer’s Amadeus and Joyce Barnaby, wife of Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby, has a small part in the production along with being wardrobe mistress. Her husband is helping with painting the scenery. But relations between the actors are not all they might be and Harold Winstanley, the director, is putting people’s backs up and is as usual very full of himself. Tensions rise as the first night approaches leading to a headline performan...more
Olivia
Feb 11, 2012 Olivia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: murder mystery fans, english literature fans
Wanda
Having watched the series, grown fond of the lead characters, their relationships and interactions with one another, and their contrast to the dysfunctional, disturbed and sometimes horrific villagers, I was looking forward to Graham's books.

After all, the criminals are brought to justice, and we learn more about the stable, sane Barnaby family, feeling glad we have spent time with them, at the end of each episode. We can see growth in Troy, from sometimes naive, sometimes dense, and sometimes...more
Sheila Beaumont
Like all the other books in Caroline Graham's series, Death of a Hollow Man is a very enjoyable read. It's a combination village cozy and police procedural, with a fun satirical edge and great characterization.

I read all of these books several years ago, and since I started watching the "Midsomer Murders" TV dramatizations, I've been reading each book before I watch the corresponding TV episode. Yes, that means I already know whodunit, but it's so much fun to see how closely the episode follows...more
R.
much of "death of a hollow man" is the minute detailing of characters' deeply flawed personalities and complete detachment from reality. the murder doesn't occur for a good hundred or so pages, and the characters are all so entirely unlikeable that it doesn't seem particularly important to find who did it or why. for me, it felt like graham was trying to be too clever or cute, so characters are always wriggling and dandling and having butterball hands and flossy curls etc etc. incredibly patheti...more
Taksya
Sarà che ricordavo perfettamente la puntata della serie TV che ne hanno tratto (cosa che non capita spesso), sarà che nel libro l'autrice perde molto più tempo a descrivere, analizzare e fare del gossip sui personaggi, trascorrendo i primi due terzi del libro senza entrare nell'azione (delitto)... ma non sono riuscita neppure ad arrivare al momento focale del racconto. So chi muore, ricordo perché e chi è stato... ma mi è passata la voglia di riscoprirlo...
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
Amateur dramatics doesn't usually end in such a graphic and bloody death, but Causton Amateur Dramatic Society did pride itself on being different from the rest of the pack. The leading man played the part of Salieri a little too convincingly in this season's "Amadeus." At least this time Inspector Barnaby has a bit of an in since his wife is part of the cast and he knows all the suspects.

I like this series, although it can get a little too graphic for my taste. This one is the best I've read. S...more
Lorraine
This was a great read. The lead actor in an amateur production of "Amadeus" dies by his own hand in the last act - it's all part of the storyline, but the blade of the razor that he uses to slit his throat was supposed to have tape on it. Unfortunately, the tape is missing and he dies in front of 100 members of cast, crew and audience on opening night. Tom Barnaby and his sergeant Troy are both in the audience and immediately take over, but are stymied after interviewing everyone. Lots of little...more
bookczuk
Interesting that it is called Death of a Hollow Man, because while it was a "nice little mystery" I found the characters all depicted with very little depth (I'd use the word "shallow" but that has a slightly different meaning than I intend.) What I mean is that there was the egotistic dead guy, the flirty wife, the stolid, faithful guy, the twitchy gay guy with his sleek and secretive partner, the lumpish but heart of gold girl etc...

Anyhow, I didn't dislike it, but think I like those introspec...more
Cristina
Custou-me um pouco a engrenar a leitura em velocidade cruzeiro, devido à apresentação exaustiva de cada uma das personagens, o que me fez andar um pouco à deriva... até que uma morte em grande estilo aconteceu! Aí sim! A vontade de conhecer o final, empolgou-me e li o restante livro num ápice!
Realmente não me passou pela cabeça quem seria o homicida, e muito menos as razões para tal!
A bandeja baralhou-me!
E os silêncios e as diferentes interpretações dos personagens conduziram-me noutra direcção!...more
Sherry
I read all of Ms. Graham's books quite a while ago. There are certain things I didn't remember, such as character traits of some of the protagonists. The characters in the British Midsomer Murders series are more likable. I'm not talking about Barnaby the Chief Inspector. He was just fine. This may be a small matter, but it came as somewhat of a shock after watching all of the series.
However, for those that enjoy small village British who done its, I can recommend this book.
Melissa
I still love Inpsector Barnaby, even though (or maybe because) he doesn't play a starring role in his novels. I finished this book some time ago and what stands out most to me after a few weeks is not Barnaby or Troy (whose role seems exceptionally slim on reflection) but the dysfunctions of the rest of the cast. It must be the lack of dysfunction that appeals to me about Barnaby, or perhaps the contrast that makes Caroline Graham's books so enjoyable.
Jean
I kept thinking I had read this book. So I am not sure if it was like a book I had read or I had read it a long time ago. I enjoyed it enough that I will read some more of the series. You certainly dislike Troy, he's the kind of police officer that gives them a bad name. I do like Barnaby and being a drama person I enjoyed the setting and recognized the personalities.
Libby
I had been watching Midsomer Murders on Netflix and thought I'd try reading some of the novels on which some episodes are based. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The characters are very well-developed, the plot obviously fleshed out a bit more than the tv show, and the writing better than I expected. I will definitely look for more of the mysteries in this series.
Nikki
In this book, Inspector Barnaby is investigating the death onstage of a member of the community theatre. Complicating matters are the fact that his wife is a member of the theatre also, as well as the usual irrelevant secrets that various suspects are hiding. Trenchant observations of "Theatah people" make this quite amusing for those who know some.
Katy
This is one of the better Barnabey mysteries that I have read in a while. Graham, as always, does a wonderful job of painting her charaters. To top it off she has thankfully managed to stay away from extremely long and pointless plot lines that seem to take up far to many pages of some of her other stories.

I would pass this one on in a heart beat.
JackieB
This was great fun. Better than the TV series although I enjoy that. Caroline Grahame has a keen eye for characters and mercilessly portrays their various affectations. The plot was handled well but it was the subtle humour with which she told the story that really stood out for me. I'll definiately be reading more of her books
Barbra
Back Cover Blurb:
A visit to a Causton Amateur Dramatic Society production is not Detective Chief Inspector Tom Barnaby's idea of good entertainment, but loyalty to his wife prevails. And when the leading man takes his role too much to heart in a gruesome final act, Tom finds his professional skills are called upon.
Stephanie
Loved it. This book focuses on interesting characters and the murder gives a reason to explore these characters. If you really prefer action based books or police procedurals, you may not enjoy this series. This is not a mystery cozy, but if you like cozies, you will enjoy the series.
Goodreads Librari...: Merge suggestion 4 22 Feb 28, 2012 04:48PM
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • Diamond Dust (Peter Diamond, #7)
  • Fear on Friday
  • Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery #7)
  • Zwyczajne życie (Tereska i Okrętka, #1)
  • The Ides of April (Flavia Albia Mystery, #1)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • A Cotswold Killing (Thea Osborne, #1)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
Caroline Graham is an English playwright, screenwriter and novelist. She attended the Open University, and received a degree in writing for the theatre from the University of Birmingham.

Series:
* Chief Inspector Barnaby

More about Caroline Graham...
The Killings At Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #1) A Place Of Safety (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #6) A Ghost In The Machine (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #7) Faithful Unto Death (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #5) Written In Blood (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #4)