Start by marking “Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The authentic vintage cocktail has made a comeback.

This book does not repeat the timeworn cocktails of old. Instead historian, expert, and drink aficionado Dr. Cocktailhas hand-picked a superb collection of 80 drinks rarely made today, and all of them deserve revival. Some are from the nineteenth century, some from the Prohibition era, and some from just after World War I
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published October 1st 2004 by Quarry Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails

The Craft of the Cocktail by Dale DeGroffThe Art of the Bar by Jeff HollingerThe Joy of Mixology by Gary ReganVintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted HaighSavoy Cocktail Book by Savoy Group
Best Cocktail Books
4th out of 56 books — 35 voters
The Art of the Bar by Jeff HollingerThe Craft of the Cocktail by Dale DeGroffThe Joy of Mixology by Gary ReganVintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails by Ted HaighRaising the Bar by Nick Mautone
Bourbon & Branch's Recommended Reading
4th out of 12 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Sazerac
I'm still working my way through this book, but it is already my favorite cocktail book EVER! One of the great things about this book is that it forces the drinks mixer to acknowledge the significance of ingredients. It really teaches you that ingredients are critically important and a recipe can be utterly useless without very specific ingredients. The lesson of ingredients is a difficult one to learn with this book because it sends you off on wild chases for obscure liquors and bitters. You wi ...more
Paul
In my apartment and among my cocktail-aficionado friends, this book is simply known as 'the bible'. It's just that good, that authoritative, that sound a guide to the righteous spiritual path for all right-thinking persons.

I've got most of the several excellent books recently published in this New Golden Age of the Cocktail, but if I could only keep one, this would be it. Other books may have more recipes; this edition has 100, not counting the several authoritative recipes given for many well-k
Iris
Our modern professor, Ted Haigh, marries fabulous design (handy spiral-bound pages within a hard cover, busy yet elegant page layouts, fine color photographs) and extremely up-to-date content: I loved his historiography of contemporary cocktail culture, with biographies of the most influential cocktail websites and bartenders to emerge in the past 15 years.

A few weeks with this volume and you'll be tight with the cocktail authorities.

As for the recipes: if you work with the current contents of
Michael
I love this Cocktail book. Its full of interesting information with a great resource guide and bibliography. All of the drinks I've made so far have been spot on. Can't recommend enough (and thanks to my friend Rooks for telling me about it)
Amy
I'm working my way through the drinks in this one slowly but surely. It's currently my go-to book when I want to play not to mention holds 2 of my 3 favorite cocktails within its pages.

I appreciate the text and information provided within as well as the drinks being kept as close to the source material as possible. Adaptations are explained which I appreciate since many cocktail books don't explain why they choose to alter something.

A few little things that the publisher did and I love are the
JOEY
I think that "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" aims to fill the gaps left by standard cocktail guides like Mr. Boston. Ted Haigh's cocktail lore, photos, and technique are for the at least intermediate drink maker. It's unfair to dislike this book on the grounds that it is too advanced, or heavy in things other than recipes. Opening the book to any page will give you a sense of its purpose.

I find Haigh's writing to be entertaining and sharp. I used to tend bar, and this book is a great g
Chris
Cleverly written and filled with fascinating information and amazing vintage photos. But more importantly, the cocktail recipes are divine. If you enjoy the art of a well made drink, and you want to surprise and delight guests, get this book. It's a fun read, and an absolute treasure trove of cocktail knowledge.

This is not a basic or starter bartending guide. There's a final chapter with a fine collection of basic recipes, so the book doesn't leave you high and dry, but I'd still consider it an
Cheri Loughlin
Excellent introduction book to vintage and classic cocktails with brief and lengthy descriptions of the history of the cocktail, some of the spirits within the drinks and taste descriptions. Terrific photographs of the drinks for reference as well. I refer to this book often. But don't let this be your only guide. It's just a start!
Chelsea
As a complete cocktail noob, I found this book to be tedious to read and attempt to comprehend. A casual drinker looking for some real cheer in the art of vintage beverages, this book was not for me. The author is clearly knowledgeable about the drinks he discusses, however, in instances where particular ingredients are scarce, he does little to assist readers in finding alternatives that might do the drink justice. He also gives no briefing into describing non-typical ingredients that someone o ...more
Rooks
Fun, informative, easy to use and lovely to look at - this is basically everything I like in a recipe book. Having now made more than five cocktails from it, I can say that while I don't love every recipe, there's plenty to explore for every palate. Also, having recently acquired the PDT book, the liquor shopping list for VS&FC doesn't look half so imposing as it once may have, which is good. Seriously though, this is definitely one of my most recommended mixology books, and if you're into t ...more
Wesley Keppel-henry
Very informative, really makes you feel in touch with the cocktail renaissance! The history and ingredient information is very good. Unfortunately, the drink recipes themselves are not very tasty. I've mixed all the cocktails from the book that don't require some obscure, expensive liqueur. Most a few are downright undrinkable, most are mediocre. There's only one, The Derby Cocktail, that I'd mix again with enthusiasm.
Mary Brodd
This was quite entertaining, not to mention somewhat inspiring (I now own a bottle of Angostura bitters!). The author does point out that there are only so many ways to combine a small number of ingredients, but the commentary for each drink is amusing and the illustrations are wonderful - mostly Art-Deco-era advertising. I've bookmarked quite a few drinks on cocktaildb.com that I'd like to try after reading this book.
Erik
valuable for its stories and history as well as its recipes. The format is particularly nice, with a little information with each recipe, rather than a huge history section followed by recipes. A useful guide in the back on finding unusual ingredients. This has sat on my bar and is referenced nearly every party I throw.
Heather
Decided my cookbook collection needed some solid cocktail books, so this is the first to get called in. In a quick glance it looks great, spiral bound for easy use, history of drinks and ingredients and the first recipe calls for both genever and egg white. I'm in love.
Evan Hansen
I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's impossible NOT to learn something new about cocktails from this book for all but the absolute most seasoned of enthusiasts. Well researched, clearly written, and packed with recipes.
Liz
Great book with many drink recipes if you like liquor. Many sweet drinks, some I would leave out the simple syrup if I were making them. Lots of added juices, bitters, and curacao to sweeten the deal.
ACRL
Sep 20, 2010 ACRL added it
Shelves: motw
Read by ACRL Member of the Week Jan Hartley. Learn more about Jan on the ACRL Insider blog.
Evan
Nov 26, 2009 Evan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever had a drink
Shelves: nonfiction, owned
Commentary and recipes are great. I read this book cover to cover like a novel, even though much of it is just recipes. Great cocktail book.
Mandy
Loved it. Learned a lot and appreciated the spiral bound construction, which is much easier to work with when concocting cocktails.
Cheryl
There are some good looking recipies but I really like the history and side comments and hints in this book.
Jess
Great photography, design, and it's funny. Haven't had many of the drinks, though. Richard, get busy!
Angie
Nov 22, 2010 Angie added it
wOOt! Awesome for the Speakeasy party. I've tabbed all the ones I can make and I am still trying them all!
Kate
Excellent, colorful, and totally fun. I want to try a great deal of these cocktails.
Kristina Lareau
This book is awesome. I am buying it.

Seriously. That good.
Martin Doudoroff
Solid update to a unique collection of recipes and commentary.
Katia
Great mini histories on the drinks which was fascinating. Loved it.
Chris Stanley
Impressive bit of work here; especially on the research end.
Toni
Love the recipes and the stories that inspired the cocktails.
  • The Joy of Mixology: The Consummate Guide to the Bartender's Craft
  • The Craft of the Cocktail: Everything You Need to Know to Be a Master Bartender, with 500 Recipes
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • The Savoy Cocktail Book
  • Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits
  • Bitters: A Spirited History of a Classic Cure-All, with Cocktails, Recipes, and Formulas
  • The PDT Cocktail Book: The Complete Bartender's Guide from the Celebrated Speakeasy
  • And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails
  • The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks
  • The Hour: A Cocktail Manifesto
  • Drink: A Cultural History of Alcohol
  • The Book of Gin: A Spirited World History from Alchemists' Stills and Colonial Outposts to Gin Palaces, Bathtub Gin, and Artisanal Cocktails
  • Mr. Boston Official Bartender's & Party Guide
  • Absinthe: History in a Bottle
  • 99 Drams of Whiskey: The Accidental Hedonist's Quest for the Perfect Shot and the History of the Drink
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok
  • What to Drink with What You Eat: The Definitive Guide to Pairing Food with Wine, Beer, Spirits, Coffee, Tea - Even Water - Based on Expert Advice from America's Best Sommeliers
Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum to the Zombie (100 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories Behind Them) The Mixicologist Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails [mini book]: 52 Rediscovered Recipes