Start by marking “Lucy Springer Gets Even” as Want to Read:
Lucy Springer Gets Even

Lucy Springer Gets Even

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Lucy Springer thinks she's got it tough. She's living through renovation hell, her two kids seem more challenging than ever, and her once successful acting career has been reduced to the odd commercial. Then Max, her husband, absconds to Bali with an unknown companion and things go from bad to disastrous. But Lucy doesn't give up easily. Juggling increasingly chaotic build ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Springer Gets Even, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Springer Gets Even

Leah
Nov 16, 2009 Leah rated it really liked it
Lucy Springer’s life is falling apart. Her career as an actress has fallen to the wayside, her children are incredibly challenging and she’s living through renovation hell. Oh – and then her husband, Max, walks out on her and goes to Bali. After a lot of crying and even more wine-drinking, Lucy decides it’s time to get her life back on track and sets about doing exactly that. Trouble is, can she manage it?

Lucy Springer Gets Even is Lisa Heidke’s debut novel. The cover isn’t too inspiring but the
Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester
Lucy Springer Gets Even by Lisa Heidke is pure Chick Lit! Lucy's acting career has been on permanent standby for a while (although there was the infamous broccoli commercial...), her love life just turned upside down, with her husband taking off to parts unknown without so much as a goodbye, and if that weren't bad enough, she has no kitchen, and the house is a disaster as it's in major renovations with workers who enjoy a good cup of coffee more than swinging a hammer. What's a girl to do? Call ...more
Heather
Jul 07, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
What a fun read! I really enjoyed reading Lucy's story. I loved her personality, her sarcasm, her realness. I HATED Max. What a jerk! And all the talk of Alana being "fragile" – whatever.

I thought the characters were all very real. From Lucy's insecurity to the moms' lunch dates at which they all gossip about who isn't there. Gloria drove me nuts, though. Why is she Lucy's best friend? She doesn't respect Lucy at all. I don't get it. And Dom – I wanna know what happens with that. I was very dis
Emespre
Oct 28, 2012 Emespre rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, australian
I'm conflicted over this book. I wouldn't have ever looked twice at it if my best friend hadn't given it to me along with a book that she knew that I'd like, but I definitely enjoyed reading it. The characters, such as the workmen, were interesting. It was also a nice surprise to find the story set in Sydney; I don't really think about where books are set when I start reading them, but if I do ever think about location I assume America unless stated otherwise. The characterisation of Max and two ...more
Jaime
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime rated it really liked it
Lisa Heidke has written a fun, diary-style novel that will having you smiling, laughing and shaking your head over everything Lucy Springer has to deal with. Can she sort it all out in just sixty-four days?

Lucy Springer is far from perfect, but those very things make her an incredibly loveable character. She takes things in stride, and I love that she never becomes vengeful or sour with the world even when it seems she’s getting it from every angle. She deals with things a lot better than I woul
Carla Caruso
May 02, 2013 Carla Caruso rated it really liked it
This is vintage chick-lit! Published in 2009, I wanted to try another of Lisa Heidke's novels, with her being an Aussie women's fiction author. And this book was just so much fun.

Lucy Springer is an ageing, fading soap star, she's living in renovation hell, has two whining kids, and her horrible hubby has just absconded to Bali with an "unknown companion".

There are a lot of (highly original) laughs along the way, though there's a hint of sadness underlying it all - as with all good comedy. The
Paula
Sep 04, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit fans who like intelligence & fun
Recommended to Paula by: NTB
Shelves: 2008-reads
This book tured up yesterday in NTB and I had to take it home. Laughed myself stupid at a couple of points - and loved how relevant to the climate/lifestyle/moments of Australasian mothers - and our classic DIY-oops-Get-the-Professionals-In husbands and partners that we have.

And Bali! Been there, done that - I'm sure Lisa was staying at the same hotel as we did!
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)

This book was just really middle of the road for me.

About three chapters in and i could tell you exactly how this story was going to end.

I didn't feel particularly connected to our main character Lucy.

I did still enjoy the story though but nothing special.
Selena Hanet-Hutchins
Jul 14, 2010 Selena Hanet-Hutchins rated it liked it
Recommends it for: any woman suffering a renovation and a family
Lisa Heidke's voice is warm and inclusive, as if the whole story is revealed over a few drinks with girlfriends. The action is engaging and the story has some unexpected twists. Lucy is full of one-liners I wish I'd thought of, but not as forced as some other writers in the genre.
Melanie
Jun 17, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
it was okay
i didnt like it
but i didnt hate it
mixed feelings
i guess this book isnt suited to my age
so thats what im making it come to
good for older readers
K
Mar 03, 2009 K rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this chick-lit, especially since I was familar with all the areas.

I found it nicely paced and not too sappy, as so many of the genre are.
Suzie
Feb 12, 2011 Suzie rated it really liked it
A fun read. I'd definitely recommend it for women who like to read intelligent chick-lit. Pity about the cover though.
Stonemagpie
Feb 26, 2015 Stonemagpie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
This book was so infuriating, the main character was such a doormat! Couldn't put it down though.
Kellie Van
Apr 12, 2011 Kellie Van rated it liked it
Not the new jodi picoult as touted by angus and Robertson but an amusing read nonetheless!
Ms_MotorbikeNut
Oct 02, 2011 Ms_MotorbikeNut rated it it was amazing
Very funny book was laughing out at every page
Cathy
Aug 27, 2011 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Well-written, this was a great read.
Laura Espinoza
Aug 11, 2011 Laura Espinoza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice holiday read.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An okayish book :)
Amanda Markham
Sep 09, 2015 Amanda Markham rated it liked it
Australian chicklit... with a bit of it set in the part of the world I'm from: the Southern Highlands in NSW.

This was a fun -and at time, frustrating- journey through Lucy Springer's life. The Bali bit didn't really work for me, and I really wanted to kick her at the end for not letting Dom right back in, but I enjoyed it because it was satisfying, downright Australian.
Wendy
Apr 02, 2009 Wendy marked it as to-read
A Goodreads First Reads book. Arrived this morning, looks interesting. Have also registered it on bookcrossing and will share it at our monthly meetup after I read it.
Kylielou
Kylielou rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Sam Burnham
Sam Burnham marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Grace Stratton
Grace Stratton rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Tammy Manning
Tammy Manning marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Eleni Konstantine
Eleni Konstantine marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
After growing up in Brisbane, I ran away to Sydney, via London, and worked in book and magazine publishing. After many years living in the inner west, I was surprised one morning to wake up and find myself married with three children and living on the North Shore.

I’m not one of those people who’ve always wanted to write a novel...okay, I am one of those people. But it wasn’t until a few years ago
More about Lisa Heidke...