Start by marking “Culture Shock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette” as Want to Read:
Culture Shock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette

Culture Shock! Thailand: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette

Whether you're conducting business, traveling for pleasure, or even relocating abroad, one mistake with customs or etiquette can leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth. International travelers, now more than ever, are not just individuals from the United States, but ambassadors and impression makers for the country as a whole. Newly updated, redesigned, and resized for maxi ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Graphic Arts Center Publishing Company (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Culture Shock! Thailand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Shock! Thailand

Aug 03, 2011 Bro rated it really liked it
Just read the updated version. It was so helpful. I think this book will help you get a feel for the culture. It is a hard one to figure out, but this will help you avoid some of the pitfalls that foreigners fall into most often. There are other books they recommend if you want to know more, but this is a good start. If you plan to visit Thailand you should take some time to figure out where you are going and how you should act.
Aug 03, 2011 Bro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUST READ or read one like it if you are coming to Thailand. You will fail to make the right impression no matter what you think when you leave. It is not the impression you think you leave that is as important as the one you actually leave. Thais won't tell you what you did wrong, but you will not need them to tell you if you do proper research.
David Roberts
Jan 20, 2014 David Roberts rated it it was amazing
The book I read to research this post was Cultureshock Thailand by Robert Cooper et al which is an excellent book which I bought from Amazon. This book is part of the Cultureshock series which is a travel but focuses more on etiquette and customs than tourist attractions. This book is around 350 pages so is a reasonable length. Most people in Thailand follow the Buddhist religion with small amounts being Muslim & Christian. Bangkok is the capital city of a country that is about the size of F ...more
Andhika Padmawan
Sep 28, 2013 Andhika Padmawan rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I like how the author wrote this book without prejudice. He told what it takes to see Thai people from their perspective. I read this book as a preparation for my trip to Bangkok.
Susie
Aug 02, 2011 Susie added it
Just finished reading this again in preparation for the team this summer and for working in a different area of the country. It's full of great reminders and great tips for what we will encounter especially outside of the city. I always come away with more understanding, and it's interesting to the different things that stand out to me each time I read it. I know I will be faced with a lot of these more "traditional" customs and traditions of the Thai people as they're more common outside of Ban ...more
Jonathan
Aug 26, 2010 Jonathan rated it liked it
It seems like it did a good job of doing what it was supposed to do, which is prepare the average Westerner for life in Thailand. I guess the real evaluation will be done when we get there. Though I feel it did a good job, and I doubt I could find a better book to do that, it wasn't a very enjoyable book to read...I'd rather have learned about Thailand from someone whose perspective was a little closer to mine.
Aug 03, 2011 Bro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read for understanding culture in Thailand. Before a visit, business and especially relationships here you need to read thsi informative book to HELP avoid misunderstandings. You will still have them, but you may understand a little more this way. Duane Gardner is also great about relationships and business across culture.
Katherine
Oct 01, 2013 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book, I would probably not make laughable farang mistakes. This made me more interested to see the place (in a few days). Note that this is not a language book. You can pick up a few terms here but this book will not tell you what you will say exactly for common situations but it will give you good advice on how to act.
Gina
Mar 14, 2015 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, author-uk
It is helpful (after vising Thailand many times I finally decided to educate myself more). However , I would have liked it more if there information was more practival and less poetic as some parts could have been much shorter. It would be also good to have more updated information as some hints seem to be from the 60's.
Erika
May 16, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
Learning about my new place of residence is always a good plan. I used the "Culture Shock! France" book many years ago and really liked that as well.
Jenn
A quick read that turned out to be quite helpful in Thailand.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Jannis
Jannis rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Patrick Limcaco
Patrick Limcaco is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
Sarah added it
Jun 16, 2016
Araz
Araz marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Ulysses
Ulysses marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Andrew Line
Andrew Line rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Codrin
Codrin marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Alina Radu
Alina Radu rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Kaitlyn Grant
Kaitlyn Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Hunter
Hunter rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Bryce
Bryce added it
Dec 23, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Josh L.
Josh L. rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015